3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"The Legacies and Personalities that built the White House"

As a young nation grew into its own, it was not just the presidents who led the way. The remarkable women of the White House, often neglected by history, had a heavy hand in the shaping of America. The earliest First Ladies of the United States left countless untold legacies behind after their role at the White Hou...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Cumberland House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The First Ladies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Ladies

Allizabeth Collins
Description:

The First Ladies is a brief, yet intriguing portrait of the remarkable women behind our presidents, and the sacrifices they made for our beloved country - the U.S. of A. From Martha Washington to Mamie Eisenhower, Feather Schwartz Foster takes readers on an entertaining, fascinating, and humorous journey through the lives, loves, and personalities of our often overlooked Founding Mothers.

Review:

My parents have always instilled in my siblings and I that history is important, especi...more
Heidi
This book accomplished what the author set out to do. It gave you a brief overview of overlooked first ladies. However, she kind of took for granted that the reader would know facts and events that I did not. It took me away from their stories trying to find context. (I should have studies US history instead of European.)
Dayla
Excellent book and an excellent place to stop, with Mamie Eisenhower. This is but a small snapshot to whet one's appetite to read more about these wonderful women.

Note to Eisenhower Museum in Kansas: Upon my recent visit to Eisenhower's boyhood home, imagine my surprise when I went to the bookshop and found not one book about Mamie Eisenhower. What's up with that? Why between her alleged drinking and the whole Kay Summersby thing, I think this book is dying to be written.

Michelle
Dec 30, 2013 Michelle added it
Shelves: history
Pretty interesting book on the First Ladies. After reading this, I went to Wickpedia and researched what this website had to say. Some very interesting ladies.
Paul Hoffman
An easy, but interesting read. Well researched and concise. I learned a lot; most importantly, that many first ladies were no where near as socially and/or politically ambitious as recent first ladies. Indeed, many of them lead rather tragic lives.
Sue
Easy fast read. Not knowing too much about the earlier first ladies, this book gave me insight in to what they were like. Quite surprised to learn that some of them were not so well liked!
Lee Ann
This was an easy read, with some interesting profiles of first ladies. It included some facts of which I was unaware, so now I'm wanting to find out more information about some of them.
Jodi
Great introduction to the First Ladies. Definitely leaves you wanting to know more. I especially appreciate the awesome bibliography--tons of books for further reading!
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Betsy Lyons
Betsy Lyons marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Roshan
Roshan marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Roshan
Roshan added it
Dec 28, 2012
Feather Schwartz Foster is the author of "LADIES: A Conjecture of Personalities" - about the OLD First Ladies, Martha thru Mamie; "Garfield's Train" A novel about the death of President Garfield in 1881, and "T: An Auto-Biography" - a children's book about a Model-T Ford."
More about Feather Schwartz Foster...
First Ladies Ladies: A Conjecture of Personalities First Ladies: From Martha Washington to Mamie Eisenhower T: An Auto-Biography The First Ladies: From Martha Washington to Mamie Eisenhower, an Intimate Portrait of the Women Who Shaped America