Start by marking “Homefront: The Voice of Freedom” as Want to Read:
Homefront: The Voice of Freedom

Homefront: The Voice of Freedom

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  213 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
HOME IS WHERE THE WAR IS

Published January 25th 2011 by Del Rey (first published January 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Homefront, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homefront

Michael
Feb 10, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If only the actual video game could have been like the novel... Yes, it goes without saying, I did enjoy the novel a lot better than the game. (I haven't played the game in a long, long time but I can remember nothing memorable about it)

I really liked how the novel explained further (that the game never did) about the "Greater Korean Republic" invasion of the United States of America including the collapse of the American society and economy and the poisoning of the Mississippi River by the GKP
Libi
Jul 14, 2011 Libi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-liked
My son, who doesn't normallty read books, was bouncing in anticipation for it to come out. Once he read it, he gave it to me. The book is fairly short and I was able to get through it during my unending layover at DIA (8+ hours), but I am a quick reader most of the time.

This is something that I could totally see happening in the future. The premise of the book is that North & South Korea unified, took over Asia, and invaded and occupied the US after she fell from grace due to the economy, is
Gregory Schultz
Some video games get the novel treatment but they usually continue a story at the end of the game. Homefront is the opposite where the novel sets the storyline of the video in a compelling way that tries to be serious but still feels very gimmicky.

What I like about this book was you never wanted to put the book down. Even though the book is filled with corny jokes, enormous plot holes, repeating lines and debatable actualities (like EMP blast crippling electronics or making an entire river radio
Chad Gilbert
Nov 14, 2011 Chad Gilbert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally write reviews, but I felt compelled in this case. I don't believe I have ever read a book fraught with so many technical errors and inconsistencies. I'm sorry, but a satellite cannot "hover" at 300 km. The amount of fuel this would require is incredibly large. We should also be thankful this author is not a radiologist (iron does you very little good when it comes to radiation). I thought this may be an oversight, but he repeated the error throughout the book.
Zombie0721
Feb 24, 2011 Zombie0721 rated it really liked it
For an original story based on a video game this book is really good. Not so much a gung ho military story but much more of a human drama with very well thought out and real characters. If you have any thoughts of playing the game read this book as an introduction to the world. For everyone else read it as a good piece of maybe not so fiction.
Benny
Jun 27, 2011 Benny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It felt like I was reading a book written for someone ten years younger than me, and I'm only 16. Interesting concept, and the first third is captivating enough, but it fell apart after the initial hook wore off.
Devina
May 26, 2011 Devina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyed this one. The concept of America having the tables turned on it was interesting, and the book always had something happening. Assuming, and hoping, there's a sequel to this one.
Asmodean
Homefront: The Voice of Freedom is a good read. It isn't a ground breaking novel in any way, shape, or form. However it is a good diversion that will take you a few bus rides, one longer plane ride, or several hours to finish. I have to admit that the first two chapters right-out scared me. Homefront takes place in and around the years 2023-2025. It covers a fictitious future America that has been decimated by Economic hardship. The U.S. Military is a shadow of its former self. The citizens are ...more
Alpha
Oct 13, 2011 Alpha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"As of late, video games have been doing multi-media releases. Tom Clancy's ENDWAR is a good example in which a prologue novel was written before video game release. THQ is following this same formula with their latest title Homefront for the PS3, PC, and X360. With most video game novels, the stories are usually based off the video game as compared to being a compliment. With this title, it should be original since it takes place before the game's events.

I believe the book delivered just enough
Abbe

HOME IS WHERE THE WAR IS America may be reeling from endless recessions and crippling oil wars, but hack reporter Ben Walker never expected to see his homeland invaded and occupied by a reunified Korea—now a formidable world power under Kim Jong-il’s dictator son. The enemy’s massive cyberattack is followed by the detonation of an electromagnetic pulse that destroys technology across the United States. Communications, weapons, and defense systems are rendered useless; thousands perish as vehicle

Procrastinador Diletante
Isto vai parecer o princípio de uma anedota, mas o que é que acontece quando se juntam um realizador/produtor de cinema; um escritor de livros do James Bond e um jogo para PC? O resultado final é este livro.

Mas vamos lá por partes. O realizador em questão - John Milius - é também o argumentista do jogo Homefront. E a produtora do jogo estava tão convencida que o jogo ia ser um sucesso, que decidiu que ele iria também escrever uma prequela, em forma de livro. E para o ajudar, contrataram um escri
John Patrick
So this is the second video game tie-in book I have read this year for a game I have never played. I was interested in the story of the game which revolves around a near future America that has been invaded by North Korea mainly because of its roots are in the original (and soon to be released remake) Red Dawn which is one of my favorite patriot movies from the 80's. Ah the 80's movies, when America was top dog and our chief export was one man armies on missions to stamp down the enemies of free ...more
Danny Hurtado
Dec 10, 2013 Danny Hurtado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Homefront The Voice of Freedom is based on the video game Homefront. This book takes places a little before the actual game.

For those that don't know, Homefront is about the North Koreans attacking America with an EMP which caused all of electronics in North America to fail, which meant that we were doomed. Not having electricity, vehicles, or any electrical device to work, the whole country was in trouble. As the EMP was detonated, the North Koreans attacked us, thus giving us the name HomeFro
John S
Mar 03, 2011 John S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in purchasing the video game
Shelves: book-club, sci-fi
This book really deserves 2.5 stars but that's not an option and I just can't justify giving it 3 stars.

Sure, there's an interesting premise, some pretty good characters, and the read is pretty fun, but the book is so obviously written for a younger audience. I understand if the authors and the publishers wanted to make the book more accessible to that crowd, but in any case I don't think they give the reader enough credit.

At one point you find out there is a big secret between two of the main
Jason
I was not expecting much from this video game tie-in novel, but I was pleasantly surprised and tore through this book in 2 days. I couldn't put it down. North Korea's rise to dominance (led by a charismatic Kim Jong-un) on the heel's of America's economic downturn is a little far-fetched IMHO, but it makes for a great read. BUT if you did want to take down the US of A, then this would be the way to do it.

I have yet to play the video game so I can't tell whether the book makes the video game bett
Aaron Lawson
Nov 25, 2014 Aaron Lawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very happy with this novel. It's sad to say that it is WAY better then the video game, as we all know the video game had a lot more money thrown at it. It sucked me in and had some tense moments throughout. 4 stars for making me want to tell everyone of my friends to read this. I'm looking to see if there is a sequel!!
Cody
Feb 26, 2011 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read on my nook. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. Video game novels have become something of a guilty pleasure for me, especially prequel novels. I like how they can introduce you to the setting and characters of a game before you start to play it, and add meat to the bones of the game's story. Usually, though, they just aren't very good. This book won't win any awards, but it's exciting, interesting, and fairly well-written. It does a great job of filling in the blanks between th ...more
Barbara Harden
Jan 19, 2016 Barbara Harden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!!! GREAT STORY
Scott Vout
A book my son read and was laying around the house so i gave it a try.

An interesting concept - Korea, the new super power invades the USA and takes over.

Some engaging characters, especially Wally.

A not unbelievable story, based on a video game.

Definately set up for a sequal.

I enjoyed the story and look forward to the sequal. Dont think i will be worrying too much about the video game though.
Thomas Mcmillen
Jun 19, 2011 Thomas Mcmillen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've been on a kick lately in reading adaptations of games as a kind of alternative history. I'm really only asking for an interesting, plausible story. Homefront gives us the premise of, "What would happen if the US completely forgets it has thousands of nuclear weapons?" Stupid, inane and any other "turrible" adjectives. DO NOTbuy or play this game - the writers must be punished!!! :-)
Keith Parker
Held along the lines of a Fallout series. I feel i've heard this before, but it was inventive and interesting for the most part. The book turned out better than the game i guess, but it's not the best story for realism. The biggest draw for me was the backstory.
Mark
Jun 10, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of books by Raymond Benson. He has perfected the narrative style, but the plot was totally believable and very, very creepy. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.
Kristina Marie
Mar 28, 2011 Kristina Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5. The story was great and very plausible. The writing was so-so as was the dialogue, but the plot was one that stuck with me. I don't think I would play the game, though!
Catherine Boivin
Bit hard to read sometimes, but it was a good book. It's interesting to see a little more of the characters from the game. Not really sure where the game fits in the timeline.
TJ
Jun 01, 2011 TJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story was interesting at certain times in this book. I reason I read this book was because it's the backstory for the game. I really hope the game is better than this book.
PickinDavis
Jul 10, 2012 PickinDavis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
You'd think when the guy runs out of gas on the freeway, and he's passing all the abandoned cars broken down from electrical problems, that he'd siphon some gas.
Jens Andersen
Good read, not the best ever - but does a good job at describing the scenario of a Korean invasion and how people would react. This made me play the game even more.
Loren
Mar 08, 2011 Loren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and scary look at the world of homefront. A good story on its own travelling through the broken continent. I can't wait for the game
Drew
Apr 02, 2012 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book with a lot of action and good story. The characters are a bit flat but it kept my intest throughout.
  • Crysis: Legion
  • Fable: Blood Ties
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Never Trust A Rabbit: Stories With a Twist
  • Uprising (Starcraft, #0.5)
  • Rage
  • Birth Of An Age (The Christ Clone Trilogy, #2)
  • Deep Winter
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Halo: Blood Line
John Frederick Milius is an American screenwriter, director, and producer of motion pictures. He co-wrote the first two Dirty Harry films, received an Academy Award nomination as screenwriter of Apocalypse Now, and wrote and directed The Wind and the Lion, Conan the Barbarian and Red Dawn.
More about John Milius...