Start by marking “Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)

Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  18,959 Ratings  ·  802 Reviews
The dragon keepers and the fledgling dragons are forging a passage up the treacherous Rain Wild River. They are in search of the mythical Elderling city of Kelsingra, and are accompanied by the liveship Tarman, its captain, Leftrin, and a group of hunters who must search the forests for game with which to keep the dragons fed.
Published March 1st 2011 by Voyager (first published March 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Haven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Haven

Bookdragon Sean
Jun 05, 2017 Bookdragon Sean rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star-reads
Only Robin Hobb could write a prologue from the point of view of a dragon, and make it equal parts terrifying and hilarious.

It's all about the dragons!

description

Her dragons remind me of cats; they are vain, greedy and dangerous when roused. They have a selfish sense of entitlement that often leaves others running after them, but they’re also capable of great kindness and love. Well, sometimes. How much of it is genuine and how much of it a ploy is difficult to say. They are not mere beasts that reign f
Hanne
Nov 11, 2012 Hanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In the past 12 months or so, I finished more than 10 books by Robin Hobb. She’s brilliant, but writing so many raving reviews gets pretty boring and repetitive, so I got a little creative again:

image loading, please wait

My blacked out review poem:
It is lovely, like the light [shining] through.
It just got brighter and [more] beautiful.

Don't worry,
you'll fly.

This review was inspired by what Austin Kleon does in his book ‘Newspaper Blackout'. Only he spends more time on it than I did so (unlike me) he manages to get gra
Kaitlin
Sep 03, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this book is number #2 in the Rain Wild series and it's the continuation of the story of Thymara, Alise, Leftrin and their magical Dragon creatures they're accompanying. We get to see that the story picks up straight after the ending of the first one, meaning you're straight back into the action. What I liked about this book was that there did seems to be a lot more action scenes and some real moments of stress and worry for our cast of characters.

So, this book follows our intrepid adventurer
Mili
Apr 27, 2017 Mili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
4.5 stars~ this one continues where part one finished. Soo basically still very much lovable! Flows beautifully~ I loooove Thymara~ And Alise her choices and growth in character is what she deserved alllll along! I feel like she will grow into this confident strong woman and finally do what she loves deeply to the chore: explore and see the world! There were more setbacks in this book that actually made it quite suspenseful at some point. And the growth of the dragons is magical :D

A small thing
helen the bookowl
Jul 17, 2015 helen the bookowl rated it liked it
Another fine fantasy novel by Robin Hobb! While I enjoyed this sequel, I did feel like it dragged in some parts and not much was happening. Still, I loved being back with all of the characters, and I loved seeing how they developed and where this story was going.
Robin Hobb's stories are very easily read even though they are 500-page-novels. I think that's because her stories are very accesible, in the sense that they are easy to follow and very captivating. I'm especially fond of the way this s
Rob
Executive Summary: An improvement over The Dragon Keeper. With everything set the story is just able to move forward at a brisker pace. This is really Dragon Keeper part 2 from what I understand and it feels like it.

If you enjoyed the first one, you'll likely enjoy this at least as much if not more. If you found the first book a let down, you may find you gave up on the story too soon.

Full Review
After completing The Dragon Keeper, I really wanted to jump right into this one. However with othe
David Sven
Dec 09, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A satisfying conclusion to the story arc started in book one. The dragon's and their keeper's journey to Kelsingra continues, the storytelling masterfully driven by excellent characterization.

Like many of Hobb's books I've read so far the event driven climaxes tend to happen well before the end and then things wind down to the finish. (view spoiler) Fortunately, most of the climaxes tend to centre around changes in th
Claudia
Dec 26, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, z-to-a-hobb
I don’t know what happened with the first part, but this 2nd one is perfect; I loved it to pieces.

The journey toward Kelsingra continues, we get a lot of action, a lot of answers and we finally learned what happened to Maulkin. Plus, we got Tarman, which turns out to be an unexpected ship.

And the bunch of lousy characters from the 1st part suffered a complete transformation here, which was a relief.

Too many details will spoil the pleasure of reading it, so I will just say that it was one of the
Jessica
Originally posted at eternal escapist.

3.5 Stars

For me, this book was kind of like an inverted Oreo; it had a dry, brittle middle sandwiched by a great beginning and ending.

Dragon Haven picks up where Dragon Keeperleft off, with the Tarman, the dragons, and the keepers still trucking up the Rain Wild River in search of Kelsingra, the so-called dragon haven.

The first book spent a lot of time building up to its ending, so the first quarter of Dragon Haven was actually more action-packed than the w
Loederkoningin
Guess who’s back?

Hobb is back! Well, at least so it may appear to those who – like me - just couldn’t plow their way through her Soldier’s Son trilogy. Although the Rain Wilds Chronicles started out a little slow and unremarkable, I was confident that Hobb would not disappoint in the books to come. She is, after all, one of those authors who just like to take their time, sweet time in order to fabricate a compelling world and story. And I like that! It makes the reading experience so much richer
Lisa
Nov 21, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full Review at Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/1...

I continue to be intrigued with the Rain Wilds, but I will confess If I was absolutely forced to rank all of the books, this is my least favorite of the series. And within this series, this particular book I think may be my least favorite. But, I still found it impossible to put down, and my least favorite book by one of my favorite authors is still a book worth reading.

There was actually a lot to love in this book. While y
Michelle M
Feb 22, 2017 Michelle M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, read-2017
Basically the second half of Dragon Keeper, this volume satisfied all the questions and dangling threads in typical Robin Hobb fashion ... wonderfully. And kudos for the (finally) accurate and accepting view of same-sex relationships.
Duffy Pratt
Dec 12, 2011 Duffy Pratt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's rare that I care much about how a book ends. This book set up its situations well. I liked the characters and thought them interesting. Hobb had set the stage for some good dramatic conflict. And then, one by one, the conflicts fizzled. The worst, in my opinion, was nothing more than a sort of deus ex machina. This one left the conflict in place, without any sort of resolution at all.

Despite the end, I did enjoy the ride for the course of these two books. And if she decides to return to th
Gelis
Mar 15, 2010 Gelis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one from Robin Hobb, who does a decent job in presenting a new perspective on her Rainwild / farseer world. It is very interesting to take a walk with these stunted dragons along a poisonous river and see them grow inside and outside just like their "keepers". The dragons, esp. Sintara are egocentric and strange -with the exception of wise Mercor and maybe Kalo they are adolescents. To see Sedric reformed- was not surprising after the Malta incident- hated her at the start and she g ...more
Allison
I thoroughly enjoyed this second novel in the Rain Wild Chronicles. Everything that was set up in the first book comes to a head in Dragon Haven - everything relating to the expedition, anyway. The focus completely narrows to the journey up the river, and for a while we are isolated from the rest of the world and concerns outside of the group. Meanwhile, the small company is starting to show signs of stress and conflict, and nature is doing all it can to prevent their survival.

The travel and sur
Wol
Mar 27, 2017 Wol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I remember reading a while back that Hobb had intended the Rain Wilds Chronicles to be two large books rather than four smaller ones. For that reason, I decided to read the first two books and treat them as one for a review.

It's a definite change - one of the more common complaints I see about Hobb's writing is her "slow burn" pacing. I think it's fair to say that here her pacing is practically glacial, and if you find that frustrating you are going to have a difficult time here. Much like some
Robert Beveridge
Robin Hobb, Dragon Haven (Eos, 2010)

Every time I read a Robin Hobb trilogy, it happens. Somewhere along the way, I get sucked into it, and I wind up forgoing such niceties as food and sleep in order to finish whatever book of hers I happen to be in the middle of. It took a little longer than usual with the Rain Wilds Chronicles, but about seventy-five pages into Dragon Haven, it clicked. I finished the rest of the book in a couple of marathon sessions and am now pacing my cage while I wait for t
Shari (colourmeread)
Dragon Haven starts right where we left off in Dragon Keeper. As the second half of what was originally meant as one book, this book was more exciting than its first counterpart. As our characters continue their journey, they face harsh realities that come with traveling on the Rain Wild river. There is lack of supplies, brooding desperation, and inevitable confrontations.

I've always loved Hobb's skill in writing her characters; there is no black and white or good and evil and how she captures
Mark Halse
Aug 30, 2016 Mark Halse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hobb is quite possibly my favorite author. So, it's no surprise that I absolutely loved this book despite the money grabbing way these books have been chopped up.

If book one and two were released as one installment then that book would be a five star read, no questions asked. But because they were awkwardly cut in two I must, in good conscience, deduct brownie points.

Greedy nonsense aside, this story is amazing, expounding upon a world that I already loved and creating new and wonderful c
Steph // bookplaits
Nov 12, 2016 Steph // bookplaits rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
In three words: dramatic, intense, exciting.

"'But perhaps it takes a different kind of strength to keep my word when every bone in my body cries out for me to break it.'"

Dragon Haven is book two in Robin Hobb's The Rain Wild Chronicles series, and wow, things definitely start getting more exciting in this book. If you've read my review for The Dragon Keeper, you'll know that my biggest issue was its very slow pace (although I still really enjoyed the story because, y'know... it's Hobb, and she's
Metaphorosis
Jul 09, 2013 Metaphorosis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2013-rev

reviews.metaphorosis.com

4 stars

My mother made sure we always had some kind of dessert or sweets to snack on. At the same time, with two teenage boys in the house, she got a little upset if an afternoon of baking disappeared in under an hour.

I finished Dragon Keeper, the prequel to this book, yesterday morning. While it wasn't as good as Hobb's best, I liked it. And when I found two sequels on sale for a few dollars apiece, I picked them up immediately. Now, less than 24 hours later, I've finish
Dara
Short review: Once again, Robin Hobb knocks it out of the park. Dragon Haven picks up immediately after The Dragon Keeper. The biggest knock on these two books is that they should have been published as one. If Peter F Hamilton can publish 1300 page opuses, why can't Robin?

Once again, much of this series is devoted to character development. There's some action and certainly plenty of plot progression but character is most important here. I loved every minute I spent with Thymara, Alise, Leftrin,
Erin
Jan 24, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing whatsoever happens in the first book. Then in this one, I wait for ages and ages for the good stuff to happen (them finding the city), which only happens right at the end and we don't even get to know what happens to them after that. There are really only one or two exciting things that happen in both books.

I would be way happier if she reduce both books to one book with a total of 400 pages max, then actually write about the interesting stuff which she never got to at all.

I started read
Shari  Mulluane
Apr 10, 2014 Shari Mulluane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts. This is a series that is signature Robin Hobb. There is sporadic action, a few thrills, chills, catastrophes and plenty of conflict but mainly it is about characters. Each is distinctly individual and while some share common backgrounds, each experienced those backgrounds in vastly different ways. The dragons too are as unique as their keepers. They are arrogant, wise, self-serving, insecure, quick to anger, loving, cruel, affectionate, in a word, complex. Only one really takes ce ...more
Deshana Desai
Jun 15, 2017 Deshana Desai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review upcoming. This book has established itself as one of my all-time-favourites now.
Paul
11th book into The Realm of the Elderlings Series and Robin Hobb is still fascinating me by revealing the world that she has built. Hobb's focus is always the characters and using what the characters go through to illuminate the world building to the reader. Dragon Haven is no different as we learn so much about Elderlings and their relationships with dragons. Because these books are so late in the series it is hard to talk about this book in any real detail. It is basically the journey of a doz ...more
Ole Imsen
Jun 27, 2010 Ole Imsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Unsurprisingly this book follows directly on from the events of "The Dragon Keeper". It does start off with a info-dump prologue that at first glance looks like a unnecessary read if you come directly from the previous book. But the prologue not only recaps the events of book one, Hobb has hidden some interesting new info in it, so it is an essential read.

This book takes place wholly away from the civilization of the Rain Wilds, and follows the journey of the dragons and their keepers further
Carolyn
I really enjoyed both Dragon Haven and The Dragon Keeper.

There are adventure/quest books that are all about the quest, and then there are the ones that are all about the people. I'm happy that this series is about the latter - both the humans and the dragons. There's an immense amount of character growth throughout these two books and it was wonderful to immerse myself in it.

I thought the handling of the different relationships of the characters - of friends and lovers, healthy and abusive, kee
Alex Ristea
Dragon Haven is an immensely satisfying book because all of the threads in Dragon Keeper are resolved (or at least give you more of a sense of closure).

I have to say that Robin Hobb writes the best intimate scenes I've ever read. Not necessarily erotica, but her descriptions of love, first love, sex, and sensuality are unparalleled for their emotional impact.

This is the second time I've read this book, and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Perhaps it's because I'm reading along with a few friends, or
Yani
May 06, 2016 Yani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It was a good book and I enjoyed it very much. The strongest point of this book are it's charachters, they develop very realistically and the plot is mainly driven by their mussings and thoughts. The story, however, is less interesting on it's own. More so when put in the whole Robin Hobb saga though. Anyhow, I'm eager to start with
  • The Reindeer People (Reindeer People, #1)
  • Shards of Time (Nightrunner, #7)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)
  • The Silver Mage (Deverry, #15; The Dragon Mage, #7)
  • Dragon Strike (Age of Fire, #4)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Rain Wild Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Dragon Keeper (Rain Wild Chronicles, #1)
  • City of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #3)
  • Blood of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #4)