Start by marking “The Jesus Family Tomb” as Want to Read:
The Jesus Family Tomb

The Jesus Family Tomb

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The Jesus Family Tomb tells the story of what may very well be the greatest archaeological find of all time—the discovery of the family tomb of Jesus of Nazareth. Following the accidental bulldozing of a tomb during the building of a housing complex in suburban Jerusalem in 1980, archaeologists from the Israeli Antiquities Authority were immediately called to the scene. In ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Jesus Family Tomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jesus Family Tomb

jcg
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I thought it was going to be one of those books that sensationalizes a trivial discovery, but the evidence and the arguments, admittedly a little rough around the edges, are quite compelling.

Is this the Jesus family tomb? I have no idea. It would be great fun if it was. But the discovery will never be taken seriously because, as the authors document, of political intrigues. Christians don't want anything to do with it because it fundamentally challenges
Keith Akers
I read this book over four years ago, after watching the Discovery Channel DVD on the same subject. While the DVD is very good, this book fills in a lot of additional details that you don't pick up just from the DVD. They talk about the James ossuary, discovered separately in 2002 but now connected to the "Jesus Family Tomb" through the patina, which to me is actually one of the most convincing arguments in favor of the tomb's authenticity. The book just published, The Jesus Discovery: The New A ...more
Patricia Walker
I'm not into orthodox religion but even I found the evidence given here clear and concise. It amazes me how people can hold onto a dream against tremendous odds and hostility and still come out with evidence that would appear to be irrefutable. A definite read for anyone who has a passing interest in the story of a man who was remarkable for his time. A man who would still be causing huge eruptions across many of our academic disciplines 2000 yrs after his time. Far from being dull and boring th ...more
Michael Mcclelland
Interesting account of the discovery (and rediscovery) of a tomb in Jerusalem containing remains that indicate a family with remarkable similarity to the genealogy described (and further hinted at) in canonical and non-canonical Christian gospels regarding Jesus Christ, was laid to rest within it. Neither of the authors are writers foremost, nor especially unbiased in the beliefs, and the book suffers somewhat as a result.

Despite this the investigation and evidence is a mix of the compelling, e
Todd
Apr 11, 2008 Todd rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jill, Karen
Imagine stumbling upon the final resting place of Jesus the Christ and his family. This seems something out of speculative fiction or mythology yet that is what the authors purport to have found.

A construction crew working in the Talipot suburb of Jerusalem in the 1980's accidently uncovered a tomb that has been dubbed the tomb of 10 ossuaries, which in and of itself is not miraclous as this occurs frequently.

But what is unsuual were the names inscribed on the ossuaries. The grouping would ind
Aaron
This book is not written for serious scholars of religion or history. In fact, there is very little in the way of citation in the book. In order to examine the manuscript claims of the book, you would have to have a good bit of knowledge of the field already, since the book gives no direction for those who wish to interact with the material at a reasonable level. If, for example, you were already familiar with the provenance of the "Acts of Phillip" or had read the work, you would know that usin ...more
Steve Congdon
The book chronicles the 1980 discovery of a tomb in the southeast section of Jerusalem called Talpiot in which 10 ossuaries were found. An ossuary is a stone box that contained the bones of a deceased family member. When someone died, the body was place in a tomb on a stone bench then a year or so later after the body had decomposed, the bones were collected and placed in a small stone box. 6 of the boxes found in the Talpiot tomb had name inscriptions on them like Miriamne (translated as Mary o ...more
Kaelie
Interesting detective story about the 1980 discovery and subsequent rediscovery of a Jerusalem tomb containing remains that point to the burial/interment of Jesus and his family members. The arguments that this is the family tomb of Jesus etc. are compelling, but there are some gaps (why only test the Jesus/Mariamne ossuaries? why not test the organic material in all of them?). Still -- fascinating stuff.
Joann
Excellent book. The evidence is all there. Do with it what you will. I don't see why it is so controversial that Jesus was married and had a family. He was Jewish and Rabbis were encouraged to marry. There is nothing wrong with holding on to your beliefs but you cannot discount all the evidence all the time.
Erik Graff
Sep 13, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: religion
I give this book four stars for being a page-turner, not as an endorsement of its credibility. This is the third book I've read about the discovery in 1980 of a first century tomb in Jerusalem containing ossuaries ascribed to Yeshua bar Yosef; Mariamne, also known as Mara; Maria; Yosa; Yehuda bar Yeshua; Matiah and Yaakov ben Yosef akhui diYeshua. The authors argue that the individuals so designated were Jesus; Mary of Magdala, his wife; Mary, his mother; Jose, his brother; Judah, his son; Matt ...more
Holly
Wow! Wow! I have never claimed to be a christian, but have always believed that Jesus was an actual human being that walked the earth and who was one of the greatest people that ever lived. I think that this book documents the real discovery of his tomb, and the tomb of his family, found in the current century. You would think that that is enough, but it isn't. The events surrounding the discovery are just so entirely, nearly farcically, reminiscent of his life and death as told in the Bible, as ...more
Lyle Appleyard
This is a book where you have to let you mind be ready to accept ideas that may be heretical or non-kosher. I like thses kind of books. They try to look at the facts without any sort of agenda, other than discovering the truth.

If you read the DaVinci, read about the Knights Templar and wonder what went on about two thousand yers ago, give this book a look. It may not be Shakespeare. It has two authours and you can tell. Although it would have been a good idea to give us a heads up when naration
This is a archeological research story of a first century tomb found outside Jerusalem (Talpiot) based on the author's compilation of evidence. Historically interesting. They present evidence that strongly supports that this is possibly the family tomb of Jesus of Nazareth. But more fascinating is the scientific evidence they use and the means by how the conclude their evidence. Very interesting. On the sadder note, it is sickening how quickly we can eradicate our ancestors tombs, covering up ce ...more
Evan Macbeth
I read this in one day.

It's quick, easy, compelling and fascinating. Absolutely, it is making a case for a particular interpretation of a set of evidence, and the narrative presentation is setup and stylistically adjusted to support that case. But even when you correct for narrative bias, the case for the tomb in question to be Jesus's probable burial site is one that has to be taken seriously, even if not all aspects of the case should be (it goes Templar conspiracy theory at points).

But removi
Raymond Strodl
This was an exciting book about an important if controversial discovery. Well researched and written putting forward a reasonable and believable premise.

I enjoyed it.
Steven
It's mostly History Channel nonsense. There was one section where the authors admitted where they were delving into pure speculation which I thought was a lot of fun. They speculated that some of the Templars became Pirates and that the Jolly Rodger symbol represented the bones of Jesus from this tomb. If I recall I think they had an idea also for how the name Rodger became attached to that also. I'm glad they admitted that part was all speculation, it was fun. They're both very enthusiastic abo ...more
Carla
Simcha does an outstanding job of sourcing his finds. Not sure about it all, but again...who knows?
Doug
Sensitively written. Intriguing! Disagree with some conclusions, some of which are more easily explained, but not presented in an offensive manner, which I found refreshing.
Ron
Surprisingly good account of the refinding of what apparently is the likely archeological find of the millenium. The thorough documentation and the style that Jacobovici uses is a real "grabber" for those with inquiring minds. Two troubling questions remain: 1)why did the original find in 1980 just "go away", and 2)why has there been so little made of the more recent (2007) archeological and technological research and refinding of the tomb.
Tototapalnise
Rasa penasaran dan keingin tahuan saya yang besar untuk memutuskan membeli buku ini. Buku yang menjadi best seller di NY. Buku yang berisi penelitian tentang makam2 kuno di tanah Israel yang diyakini merupakan makam keluarga YEsus.

Benarkah? jujur buku ini belum bisa menjawab pertanyaan tersebut. Karena memang penelitian ini belum 100 % selesai.. dan akhirnya pembacalah yang diminta untuk menarik kesimpulannya sendiri.

Selamat penasaran :D
Kimberly
I was not a fan of this book, not at all. It took me almost 1 year to read. I put it down and never wanted to pick it back up. This book was very confusing and I got lost several times. There is a show, a "special" based off the book, watch that. Do not waste your time on this book.

It's only saving grace is that this book was not what I thought it would be. Someone out there may like this for what it is.
Bonnie
I bought this book after rereading Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. I was intrigued with the authors' reciting of the process of uncovering the physical evidence and the scientific testing done to back up their theories. I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist, but wonder why there has not been more publicity on this coming from Israel, the church (any denomination) or the archeological community.
Tracy
The idea is facinating. The book raises so many of the "What if?" questions. Interesting how these possiblities create so many negative responses. I really enjoy Simcha. I have watched pretty much every episode of the Naked Archeologist and find he is curious and willing to question conventional or traditional thought while not pushing his own agenda. Just makes you want to go dig stuff up!
Patrick McFarland
I didn't really think I'd like this book when I first picked it up but I was pleasantly surprised. The evidence that this is indeed the Jesus family tomb is pretty overwhelming. Intriguing and thought provoking and an overall good read for anyone interested in the man behind the myth.
Rachel
The book is much better than the tv special. It didn't try to glamorize or put ideas into your head, it just stated the facts and the reasoning. Very informative and I loved the archiological terms and explanations.
Karlie Nyte
This is a fascinating book! Regardless of your religious beliefs, it's fascinating! I've read this book more than once, and each time I've read it, I become more fascinated by what the authors have to say.
Jeniz
That we can never take the word of man and if we want to know the full truth then only by investigation and self reliance is the key to truth and knowledge...

What we know today as truth is false...
محمد على عطية
رحلة بحث عن قبر للمسيح في القدس تؤدي لكشف شبيه بما جاء في رواية شفرة دافنشي...إلا أنه مقترن هذه المرة بفحوصات علمية و مقارنات تاريخية, بحث شيق غير أني أؤمن أن رفع المسيح كان بالروح و الجسد معاً
Pete daPixie
Simcha Jacobovici's investigation of the tomb and ossuary collection discovered in Talpiot, Jerusalem. Fascinating archaeological dig into early first century Jewish/Christian burial evidence.
Janice
Interesting. The most interesting thing was the burial rites at that time in history. That and how many sites are uncovered all the time in that part of the world by construction.
  • The Jesus Discovery: The New Archaeological Find that Reveals the Birth of Christianity
  • The Lost Gospel: The Quest for the Gospel of Judas Iscariot
  • How Jesus Became Christian
  • The Jesus Papers: Exposing the Greatest Cover-up in History (Plus)
  • Drawn with the Sword: Reflections on the American Civil War
  • The Road to Ubar: Finding the Atlantis of the Sands
  • The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God?
  • Warwick the Kingmaker
  • Excavating Jesus: Beneath the Stones, Behind the Texts
  • Ancient Mystery Cults
  • Jesus: A Life
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
  • Forbidden Archeology: The Hidden History of the Human Race
  • The Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple & His Lost Gospel
  • Religion and the Rise of Capitalism
  • The Other God: Dualist Religions from Antiquity to the Cathar Heresy
  • The Gospel of Judas
The Lost Gospel: Decoding the Ancient Text that Reveals Jesus' Marriage to Mary the Magdalene La tomba perduta di Gesù The Jesus Discovery: The New Archaeological Find that Reveals the Birth of Christianity The Lost Gospel: Jesus' Marriage to Mary Magdelene, Bride of God