Start by marking “Taken” as Want to Read:
Taken

Taken

Welcome to the fictitious little town of Watery, Pennsylvania where the district attorney’s personal secretary, Mary Murray never planned to become a single mom or a suspect in her infant’s disappearance, but she plans to find Jena before she suffers the same fate Mary’s younger brother had when he was taken twelve years earlier.

AND

From a beta reader-I must tell you that
Published (first published August 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken

Kelley
Feb 06, 2012 Kelley rated it did not like it
This was a fast read but an annoying book. The writing felt amateur to me. People don't poke numbers into a phone, hands don't dive into pockets, and as much as these people were jumping they should lay off the caffeine. The characters were not likable and the way the story unfolded was not believable. A cop doesn't ride along with a civilian and merely suggest they call for backup. A cop should have a spine and do his job without deferring to the civilian. Tedious.
Lori Henrich
Mar 06, 2012 Lori Henrich rated it liked it
Mary wakes up to find that her baby girl is missing. Terror grips her heart and her mind automatically goes back in time to when her younger brother disappeared. He was later found dead, and the fear of that happening to her precious little girl spurs her into action. It seems that everyone in her life has a motive to take the baby. As the story unfolds it is hard to guess who the kidnapper could be.

This story was really well done. It gives enough information for each person in Mary's life that
Cheryl
Jan 10, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This book really kept my attention. It is no spoiler to say that it is about a missing baby. Through the story it appears that every character "could" be the culprit. The author keeps you guessing. I can not remember the last time I stayed up and read until a book was finished. Tonight I did!
Sam
Apr 13, 2012 Sam rated it did not like it
I read the first two chapters and then had to put it down. While the mystery sounds compelling it is terribly written. The characters are flat and stereotypical. The writing stilted and dull. So glad that this was a free book off amazon kindle.
Denise Koopman
Mar 13, 2013 Denise Koopman rated it really liked it
Wow..I can only say is if you get the opportunity to read this book,plese read it.It is absolutely awesome!!!!She did a wonderful job with this book.Wow!!!!!
Heather
Sep 06, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Great quick read. A little amateurish writing but a gripping story nonetheless.
Sherry Kent
Apr 10, 2014 Sherry Kent rated it it was amazing
Great kidnapping mystery
Barbara Folk
Feb 06, 2012 Barbara Folk rated it liked it
pretty basic suspense story. After reading, there are a few things that bother me:

Characters regularly call the hero by her full name "Mary Murray" or all three names (I can't remember her middle name right now). This is oddly jarring and doesn't quite seem natural.

Also, characters regularly describe how good and caring the hero is, and that they want all her attention, definitely unrealistic expectations of a new mother. I keep wondering where these people were raised that they seem to miss t
Christy
Aug 03, 2013 Christy rated it it was ok
I have to agree with the other reviewers of this book. The use of first and last names (Mary Marie Murray) throughout the book is a little weird and distracting. The characters are completely unbelievable and undeveloped. And some of the story lines just stop w/o being tied up.

I don't know anything about this author, but I can't believe she has children. If she does, she has the worst friends on the planet if they treated her the way Mary's friends did right after she had a baby. She was asked t
Claire Thake
Jan 21, 2013 Claire Thake rated it did not like it
Was very disappointed with this. From the description I thought this would be a good free read, however although the concept was good, the story lacked any depth and didn't go into the lives of the characters enough for you to feel u knew them. The kidnapper was obvious from the start although I was hoping there would be a twist at the end but no it's stayed predictable.

Overall I felt it was very rushed and felt like the author got bored and rushed the ending! I found it a struggle to finish th
Marti
Jan 26, 2014 Marti rated it liked it
This was an okay book. There was some suspense in it, which is good. Mary Murray gets pregnant, but hey, her boyfriend will probably marry her. Not. It seems that the louse is in love with another woman, and later the two of them end up giving birth to Mr. Louse's two daughters on the same day. Coincidentally, Mary had a younger brother who was kidnapped and found dead, and when little Jena is snatched, she fear that history is repeating itself. Was it Mrs. Louse? Where is Jena? Will things ever ...more
Leslie orellana
Jun 15, 2012 Leslie orellana rated it did not like it
I started this book about a week ago so it made for a quick read....But I achieved that after skipping a few chapters. I was bored with it. When I finally got to the chapters with any substance I felt like it was super rushed and I noticed ALOT of typos. As if she were bored with it too and she was in a hurry to finish it. Also it felt like it was confused as to what time period it wanted to be set in. The language felt like something I'd watch in the black and white movies but obviously there w ...more
Mike
Apr 09, 2016 Mike rated it it was ok
Not really what I would choose to read, but the lady is now making a living writing these stories, so I thought I'd use it as research. The quality of writing was not great but I think that in spite of this there was a good story there. To make it better I think it would need embellishing and serious editing in terms of adding a bit more detail; place descriptions, internal dialogues to make it more real. Characters were pretty one dimensional and the emotions seems fairly facile. But hey who am ...more
Nenette
Jan 29, 2012 Nenette rated it liked it
There is a good plot in here...Though I can say the story is complete, it could have been developed further. The whole thing took less than 200 pages, and the result was too simple and elementary.

There were a number of grammatical errors in the kindle edition. Also, the author seems to have an aversion for commas. I found myself repeating a lot of sentences, trying to determine where the pause should have been.

Just the same...for the very quick read format, and the good enough story: 3 stars.

Taylor
Feb 11, 2014 Taylor rated it liked it
I thought this book was good. It doesn't tell you what happens to everyone in the end though.

What happens with Kyle and Elaine? Does Kyle become a part of Jena's life? If I was Mary, I wouldn't want anything to do with Kyle. The fact that he would walk away from his child because his wife doesn't want her in their lives is just wrong.

I also thought things with Reilly were odd. Yes he loved Mary and all, the way he went about things was just odd tho.

Tom
Aug 14, 2012 Tom rated it did not like it
Ridiculous asinine rubbish. I've read more involving and involved (and a damned sight better written) stories from nine year olds regarding what they did on holiday. I actually feel affronted at having wasted a few hours of my life reading this tripe. I'll be keeping my eye open for other books from Debra Lee so that I can avoid reading them.

I've only given it one star because a turd wasn't an option.
Hope
Jul 13, 2012 Hope rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on my kindle after I saw it on the free list. I was extremely impressed by the intricate storyline. I did find some of the character attitudes and perceptions a bit hard to stomach (since it seemed like they had no idea of the life of a new mom). I was quite caught up in the storyline and found the intricacies of the kidnapper quite riveting. I did however find a few grammatical errors but they didn't throw me too much.
Brandon
Mar 12, 2012 Brandon rated it it was ok
This was a very predictable story, which could have been made more entertaining. The author jumps around time periods, as well as skips events that would seem to be important, or at least add some depth to the story. The was not much drama or suspense, the book just plodded along roughly. It was unrealistic that everyone of her friends wished the baby gone. It was a chore to get through it, but I felt I should if I was going to leave a review.
Syndilou
Jun 10, 2014 Syndilou rated it liked it
Taken -- it was a quick read. Very predictable as to who took the baby and why. Half way through the book I had it narrowed down to two possible people and I was correct. Not sure why the baby's father and wife were mentioned. I know that it was to make it harder to figure out who did it. But in my opinion did not work.
Lori Petticrew
Feb 07, 2012 Lori Petticrew rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book has alot of really good points...well written, good story, but it tends to lack some of the character development that I would have preferred. Some of the sub plots and secondary characters had hints of storyline that were just dropped. Also, the end was more predictable than I like, but overall it was a good story to read.
Nichole
Aug 13, 2012 Nichole rated it really liked it
This book was about a family of a father & daughter. They found a baby in the woods, that had been abandoned. I thought this book was going to turn out differently, there were a few small twists and surprises, but overall I thought this was a good read. It didn't end the way I expected it to (this is a good thing!) and I always enjoy being surprised.
Penny Jewell
Feb 17, 2012 Penny Jewell rated it really liked it
I personally think this book deserves a higher rating than it has currently got..i really enjoyed it! It got me hooked int he first few pages and once the action started i had to sit and finish it there and then. Very well written and characters easy to empathise with. I would definitely recommend people to read this book.
Chris
Jan 20, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok
The plot was interesting but the characters were underdeveloped and flat. The hokey writing and grammatical errors were distracting. How can everyone be a suspect in the baby's disappearance? The main character was too Merlot be remotely believable. I would advise to skip this one even if it is free.
Spider2412
Sep 08, 2015 Spider2412 rated it did not like it
I only finished this book due to how short a read it was. That said I still had to keep putting it down. The writing style and language was of the style I would expect from someone still in education. The characters lacked depth, the plot moved along unrealistically. If this is in your to read list the best thing you can do is bypass it.(I wish I had)
Kelli Buchanan
Apr 07, 2014 Kelli Buchanan rated it liked it
This book was just okay. It took a long time to finally get to the part where the baby is taken.
It refers to another crime but never really finishes that storyline. Also they just drop the baby's father midway through the book and we never hear anything about him again after that. The end was very unsatisfying. It was a quick read but not very exciting!
Jeanne
Jun 25, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was ok
I love a good thriller and Taken had the makings of a good one. Although the novel had a great start, it turned tedious rather quickly. It may have been a better novel had the story and characters been developed a bit more.
Heather
Mar 29, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
So far its myeah ho hum good enough...........i give 3 stars just because I suppose its not the worst book I have ever read.
It seemed like I was reading an outline to what may become a really good book had it not been the first draft.
Val Wilkerson
Feb 19, 2012 Val Wilkerson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Single mother's baby is stolen during the night thru the window...who
took the baby? The police think maybe the mother hid the baby or hurt
the baby?? The baby's father??? The guy from work who is in love with
her??? The neighbor????? The best friend who was jealous???
Kelly Tennant
Apr 22, 2012 Kelly Tennant rated it did not like it
The fact that I struggle to remember what this book is about whenever I see it on my kindle says it all!!!! It never really gm goes anywhere, really misses the point. And finishes in a hurried way that is dissappointing.
  • Fancy Gap
  • Loss
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • The Secret of Lies
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Mary's Son
  • The River
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Read No Evil
  • The Devil's Deep
  • The Lonely Mile
  • Mommy, May I?
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • First Time Killer
  • Sweetwater American
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn thriller series #1)
  • The Shortcut
  • Sleeping Tigers
If I'm in a murderous mood, I might write a murder mystery or chilling thriller. When there's romance in the air, I've been known to pen a love story.

On a more personal note, I've been married to the same guy for forty years. I'm the mother of two grown sons and grandmother to one grandson and one granddaughter. I share my home in Pennsylvania with my husband and two felines. It's an interesting l
More about Debra Lee...