Start by marking “The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)

The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,129 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Torpedoed by a German U-boat during World War I, a group of adventurers are marooned on Caprona, a hidden island suspended in time and inhabited by dinosaurs, cavemen, and scattered bands of human beings. Will the adventurers be able to escape?
Paperback
Published July 1st 2008 by Waking Lion Press (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about The Land That Time Forgot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land That Time Forgot

Sanjay Gautam
Dec 28, 2015 Sanjay Gautam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sanjay by: Pramod
7/10

The Land that Time Forgot is a fantasy novel, based on the similar lines of The Lost World, in which a group of people find themselves in a strange land, that was cut off from the rest of the world since antiquity, where they find flora and fauna of prehistoric ages still surviving (and yes, that includes Dinosaurs and other wild creepy creatures). How they came to be in this wild prehistoric land is actually another adventure, and a different story in itself, which only make it more realist
Jim
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As Libervox recordings go, this one is pretty good. The reader, Snelson, has a voice that goes with the story pretty well, although his accents for some characters are just awful. Still, I wanted to read this book with a group & didn't have time for the old paperback on my shelves. The library has an audio edition, but it's out on loan & I'm still waiting for it. (I know why electronic formats are limited in their number of loans, but I don't like it.) This edition was handy & the bo ...more
Duane
Similar to Arthur Conan Doyles's The Lost World, but with a touch of romance added. Entertaining, but not as good as his A Princess of Mars. I have yet to read his Tarzan novels.
Stephen Gallup
Sep 25, 2009 Stephen Gallup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1995, I sold a large box full of mint-condition Edgar Rice Burroughs books left over from my younger days. A coworker took it off my hands for the princely sum of $10. Looking at what's available today on eBay (where I retrieved a new copy of this title), that box might now fetch $500. Oops.

My recollection of Burroughs is that (possibly aside from the Tarzan series) he had a formula, which he used again and again: a doughty hero ventures into extraordinary circumstances, and along the way res
Mark Dewey
I loved this book. It's like a mix between Indiana Jones, Gulliver's Travels, Jurassic Park and a mutant sort of Planet of the Apes, with some other stuff thrown in.

I don't know that I've seen either of the movies (maybe parts of the first one, when I was a kid), but I recommend reading it first, as it is significantly different, from what I've read about the movies on Wikipedia. The book is rather short (only about 40k words, which is 10k words off being a long short story).

The writing style is
Carol Storm
When I was 12 I happened to read the third book in the series, OUT OF TIME'S ABYSS. This was long before Amazon, Kindle, and the internet, so I was never able to find the first two books, THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT.

This is the first book in the series, and it was very, very slow for at least the first half of the book. That's because Burroughs has to explain how a bunch of cowboys, merchant seamen, etc. happen to get hold of a state of the art German U-Boat at the
Stuart
Feb 17, 2015 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The book has a strong beginning, mixing a gripping WWI adventure with a land of dinosaurs story. It tells the tale of English and American sailors who take control of a German submarine. The two crews must work together to stop a saboteur who is intent on destroying them all. The adventure then moves to the mysterious land of Caspak where they encounter "the land that time forgot." It is a world inhabited by dinosaurs, primitive men and constant danger.

The author has a great descriptive style.
Markus
Aug 29, 2014 Markus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty fun adventure book that starts as a war adventure that ends up on a prehistoric island. Since I was expecting dinosaurs from the get-go, that made it a little weird.

The book picks up when they get to the island and they start battling dinos. Then they discover primitive peoples. The main character meets tribes one by one of various primitive man, each one progressive more advanced than the last.

You can see how racism is subtly weaved into evolutionary ideas. The primitive peopl
John
Surprisingly, this novel works best in its initial chapters, before the characters reach dinosaur island. Once they finally do, things take an abrupt turn for the campy. Charles Darwin certainly didn't do this book any favors, as evolution is the driving force behind what makes much of this story both silly an inherently racist. Burroughs obviously believed that whites were the most evolved people on the planet, while blacks had barely come down from the trees. I normally wouldn't give a book th ...more
Randy
Mar 28, 2011 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a good many years since I first read this one. I just watched the 1975 version, that starred Doug McClure, and wanted to compare the two. The script was co-written by Michael Moorcock and I thought it might be more literate than other such efforts.

It was.

The ending was considerably different and a few incidents were compressed into one, one subplot eliminated, and cheesy looking dinos.

The tale of a German U-boat, with the survivors of a merchant ship they'd sunk, land on an island tha
Quicksilver Quill
The Land That Time Forgot, the first book in the Caspak trilogy, is an Edgar Rice Burroughs masterpiece. In this extraordinary adventure you can expect some of the usual Burroughs tropes: wonderful characters—from the beautiful and alluring Lys La Rue, to the heroic action man Bowen Tyler, to the villainous German U-boat captain Baron von Schoenvorts, to even the lovable and faithful Airedale named Nobs. The story itself is packed full of incredible twists and turns, which play out against a bac ...more
Russ
Jan 04, 2016 Russ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Land that Time Forgot, written by Edgar Rice Burroughs, has a wonderful title. Just hearing the title conjures up a marvelous daydream. And it’s a good description of what the book is about.

Burroughs wrote the book a few years after Arthur Conan Doyle’s Lost World was published. The story is very similar: a group of Westerners arrive at a previously undiscovered and untamed land of dinosaurs.

But it takes a while—nearly half way through the book—before the characters in The Land that Time For
Nannette
Length: 4 hrs and 5 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:07-03-13
Publisher: Audio Books by Mike Vendetti

The Land That Time Forgot is a classic by Edgar Rice Burroughs (better known for his Tarzan series). I was familiar with it only through the 1975 movie (it's so bad it is a joy to watch). I recently had the opportunity to listen to the audio book narrated by David Stifel. I had previously heard a book narrated b
C.E. Smith
Sep 12, 2014 C.E. Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS!

I really enjoyed this story. I thought the narration style was very interesting because it felt more like a conversation than telling a story. It was a little confusing, because there were multiple kinds of animals running around the island, both modern and prehistoric. But over time it is explained, although I felt as though the explanation was kind of rushed.

I enjoyed that there are really two stories within this book. There is the interesting bit with the Germans and their journey t
David B
Jul 14, 2014 David B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An American shipbuilder and some British sailors commandeer a German U-boat and sail it to a forgotten continent inhabited by all manner of prehistoric life.

Any devoted reader has cherished memories of those first experiences of being totally immersed in the world of a particular book. I have vivid recollections of curling up on the couch in front of the fireplace as a pre-teen with an omnibus edition of Edgar Rice Burroughs’s Caspak trilogy that I got from the Science Fiction Book Club. My rece
Tricia
Jun 22, 2016 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a fascinating fantasy sci-fi short story. Really enjoyed this old classic.
Chelsea K.
[I read this book as part of my summer reading project: "classics". ]

A motley crew of WWI-era adventurers, including the narrator (of whom we are reading about via his diary entries) and a series of others, including friends and enemies (aka Germans), is in dire straits, stranded in a submarine in the middle of the ocean, when they spot land. With no other options, they approach the island and find it to be a hidden, forgotten, prehistoric oasis. It's populated by monstrous lizards and dinosaurs
Silvia
So it doesn't happen often, but I picked this book up for a definite reason.
My sister had reminded me of the Dinotopia tv series and then I found this wandering around the project Gutenberg website shortly afterwards, and it sounded just perfect.
And it was. It was a very nice adventure tale, with a plucky protagonist (and love interest, to a certain extent!), elements of mystery and I must admit that I found the tension between the Englishmen and the Germans very entertaining and a bit hilarious
astaliegurec
May 05, 2015 astaliegurec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a pretty horrible thing to consider, but it's got to be approaching half a century since I first read Edgar Rice Burroughs' "The Land That Time Forgot." I remember liking it way back then, so I finally decided to re-read it. I'm happy to report that it's actually better than I'd remembered. Considering that the book was first published as a serial back in 1918, and that Burroughs' forte was pulp fiction, that's an amazing thing. The writing is very good and both the world and plot are inter ...more
Erin
May 31, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
An oldie but a goodie. Unfortunately I often avoid reading the classics because many I've read haven't been that enjoyable for me, but this time I really found a good one. This book is relatively short and fast paced with plenty of action and adventure as well as a fantastic setting. I really can't think of anything I would rather he had done differently.
Zac
Oct 02, 2015 Zac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book like I have enjoyed many ERB books. His classic style of writing is always pleasant and the adventure for our characters in this one is not short on entertainment value. While not quite as wild as his Barsoom escapades, ERB takes readers on a very satisfying adventure into a lost world of long forgotten creatures and peril.
Tenoko1
Jul 08, 2015 Tenoko1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, dinosaurs
This book is pure male wish fulfillment for adventure.

Apparently, men living in the wild jungles among monsters and beasts are just this author's niche. While you may not have heard of this book, or even the author, know that this is the man that wrote all the Tarzan books. You have heard of him and his work, even if you didn't realize it.

This was an easy read with no real depth or emotion. The main character is a Gary Stu. He is a socially awkward military man who ends up be thrust into command
Thomas
Gaaah!! This is why I read Burroughs. Cheesy, straightforward, gutsy pulp. It feels like he superglued two stories together -- the adventure with a hijacked U-Boat and an adventure in a lost world island of dinosaurs. But I don't care! I love them both! Obvious, predictable and deeply satisfying.
Terri
Jun 20, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After their ship is sank by a German U-Boat, survivors end up on an unknown continent where dinasaurs and other beasts roam and men at various stages of development share the same land. Interesting and great narration
Hayden
I really enjoyed this one just because early twentieth century adventure novels are a guilty pleasure of mine that I don't feel particularly guilty about. This one's a bit like Conan Doyle' s The Lost World , just with more romance. My main issue with the book is its evolution-driven racism, though it is accurate to the common (dare I say prevalent?) scientific theory of the time (and one most evolutionist scientists aren't keen on remembering).

Even so, this book was a rollicking, improbable ad
David King
“The Land that Time Forgot” by Edgar Rice Burroughs is a classic novel set during WWI in which a group of people from both sides of the conflict find themselves stranded in a strange and mysterious land called Caspak. They soon find that Caspak’s seclusion from the world means that there are prehistoric animals and vegetation still surviving there alongside some primitive human tribes. It soon becomes obvious to this group of both allies and enemies that they must face many dangerous adventures ...more
Nicholas
During WW1 a group of shipwrecked castaways find themselves holding a German crew captive on their own submarine. Adventure and disaster on the seas leads the submarine to run low on fuel just as the crew discovers an island surrounded by insurmountable cliffs. The discovery of an underwater entry brings hope that this island could hold the key to their return home if it weren't for the vast size of the island and the prehistoric inhabitants that threaten their survival.

The Land That Time Forgot
Nathalie
Apr 08, 2015 Nathalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
A quicky, not much to say about this.

I was on holiday in Austria when I finished The Trial. I was flicking through my library I have on my e-reader, poised to read something more entertaining than The Trial had been, when I came across this.

I double checked if I could use it in my centennial challenge which I could, so I decided to give this a try.

Well, it's something else to get your mind around. The trial had been difficult because it handled a very ominous theme, but this was almost to surrea
Roddy Williams
The author's explanation for how this manuscript got into his hands is that it was stuffed into a vacuum flask by the original author and ended up on the shores of North America.
The journal is written by one 'Bowen', a man who is inadvertently captured by a German submarine during World War I. His fellow captives eventually manage to overpower the Germans but find that they can dock nowhere, and are fired on by ships. Lost, they find themselves at a land mass surrounded by cliffs, one which has
An Odd1
Oct 05, 2013 An Odd1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fan
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/551 Free.
http://annetoronto1.blogspot.ca/2013/... Inspires films. Narrator finds a manuscript dated 3 Sep 1916, in a floating bottle. Bowen J. Tyler, whose father's Santa Monica California ship-building firm specializes in submarines, is sunk 3 July on the way to France by a German U-33 "one of the fastest" p 25. With dog "Nobs", Airedale Crown Prince Nobbler, he rescues lovely Lys. The English tug that rescues them is attacked by the same sub, but the captain ins
Sci-fi and Heroic...: The Land That Time Forgot 62 56 Jun 19, 2013 04:46PM
  • The Quest of the Sacred Slipper
  • A Passion in the Desert
  • A Book of Remarkable Criminals
  • Bertram Cope's Year
  • How to Write Killer Fiction
  • For the Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to the Art of Letter Writing
  • Ambrose Bierce's Write It Right: The Celebrated Cynic's Language Peeves Deciphered, Appraised, and Annotated for 21st-Century Readers
  • The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 2
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
  • Mademoiselle Fifi and Other Stories
  • Man, Oh Man!  Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • Cabbages and Kings
  • Mentor: A Memoir
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
  • The Call of the Canyon
  • The Defiant Agents (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #3)
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Caspak (4 books)
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)
  • Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak, #3)
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)