Moon Music

Moon Music

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,416 ratings  ·  67 reviews
In the bleak wasteland of the Nevada desert, not far from the sparkling, 24-hour neon of the world famous Las Vegas Strip, the body of a once-beautiiful showgirl is discovered, horribly mauled and mutilated. It is a horrendous crime, shocking in its brutality, excessive even for a city celebrated for its excess. Seasoned police veteran and Vegas native Detective Sergeant R...more
Published July 6th 1999 by Avon (first published August 1998)

Billy Straight by Jonathan KellermanWhen the Bough Breaks by Jonathan KellermanMonster by Jonathan KellermanThe Burnt House by Faye KellermanMoon Music by Faye Kellerman
The Best Of The Kellerman Novels
5th out of 40 books — 17 voters
Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanDeadly Thyme by R.L. NolenTracing the Contours by Honor Amelia DawsonEveryone Burns by John DolanDrowned Murmurs by Honor Amelia Dawson
Best Mystery Books
255th out of 273 books — 125 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
I usually enjoy this author but this book was quite ridiculous at the end. If I had known from the start it was a fantasy I probably wouldn't have bothered reading it.
Laurel-Rain
This book follows the lives and loves of police detectives, casino bosses, hookers, and medical examiners in Las Vegas, Nevada. Toss in some mystery, murder, and mayhem with some cannibalism and shape-shifting, and Faye Kellerman’s “Moon Music” is a compelling read.

I definitely welcomed the opportunity to check out this book of Kellerman’s that I had missed along the way.

One of the most intriguing aspects of the ending—which I will not divulge for fear of creating a “spoiler”—was how there was s...more
Barbra
This is one of the author's stand-alone novels. Really didn't enjoy it all - in fact, I didn't finish it.

Back Cover Blurb:
Las Vegas. The Babylon of twentieth century America. A city on the edge of a desert, its inhabitants living on the edge of their nerves. Amongst them is Detective Sergeant Romulus Poe, assigned to the murder of a showgirl whose horrifically mauled body, Poe realises, has echoes of a twenty five year old unsolved case.
But the half-forgotten past is soon swamped by present anxi...more
Barbara ★
This was a great mystery and has an interesting love triangle. Romulus Poe and Steven Jensen were children together though not friends. Now they work as as partners for the Las Vegas Police Department along with Patti Deluca. Steve is married to Allison who is in love with Romulus and Romulus is in love with her. The love triangle is interesting since Allison is totally nutso and manipulative. At the same time as this family situation is going on, they are investigating a brutal serial killer wh...more
Jeri
I put down Faye Kellerman's MOON MUSIC in disappointment. I gave it a lot longer than I should have because I love her Peter Decker series, but this book was dismal. Well, not badly written, but all of the characters are weird, emotionally damaged, and too distant to take any real interest in. I miss the relationships and the character development in her other books. The story itself was also very strange, suspense more than mystery really. Not that I dislike suspense, but it just didn't work fo...more
Joanne
This was my first Faye Kellerman book I have read. It was a bit weird in parts and I might have a break before I pick up another of her books. Reviewers say that her writing is usually pretty good so I will reserve judgment before I write her off (excuse the pun).
Claire
Feb 12, 2008 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking for something different and light (if a little gory)
I know this isn't part of Kellerman's "canon," but I was charmed by its quirky weirdness. I think I saw someone's comment saying this book reads as if written by a man, and I'm inclined to agree.

This book was an appealing (if gory) flight of fancy, deftly plotted and executed...nobody's taking home a Pulitzer or a NBA here, but does this book go into my beach bag every year? You bet.

The tiredest of tired cliches is "Don't judge a book by its cover," but close behind is "Don't judge a book by it...more
Nancy
New characters, hmmmm
Romulus Poe a detective of the LVPD homicide bureau has a murderer on his hands that gouges an tears at the flesh of his victims. These murders are connected to people who are very close to him. Strange characters in this story including the main one. A woman who thinks she is a werewolf, a childhood friend. The man who married this woman who is also a police detective and all the surrounding characters. Also an indictment of nuclear weapons testing in the Nevada dessert. In...more
Jen
Romulus must discover who is brutally killing prostitutes and leaving them in the Las Vegas desert.

This was the first book I read by Faye Kellerman and I have to admit I was disappointed. Almost from the beginning I had reservations - when I learned the main character was Romulus who had a twin brother Remus. I thought, "you have got to be kidding me."

But in the end it was the bizarre nature of the plot that turned me off. To avoid giving away any spoilers, I'll leave it at that.
Les
This was a very good story. Fay Kellerman used a new detective Sergent Romulus Poe. He is part American Indian. The story takes place in Las Vegas, NV. It starts out with a murder of a Las Vegas showgirl. The characters of the story are very ture to life. She also tells about the Naveda Test sites which brings a lot of history and action to the story. The ending of the story leaves you thinking. It is a well written story and is different than what Fay usually writes.
Barbara Tiede
Featuring the usual intelligent detection, but otherwise far removed from the Faye Kellerman I’m used to. Set in Nevada and featuring the troubled but immensely likeable Las Vegas Detective Sergeant Romulus Poe, the story is fast-paced and dynamic, littered with slightly off-kilter characters and mauled and mutilated murder victims, with a whopping helping of abnormal psychology stirred in.
May 11, 2008 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I dont, I hated it.
I really hated this book.

it is set in las Vegas and has a lot of mormon references. She obviously did NO research on Mormons or culture or beliefs when she wrote this.

An interesting story, interesting plot, but all in all a terrible book. her very worst. Thank goodness I have read enough of her books to realize she was having a bad writing day. I do not recommend this book.
Robin
I don't like leaving negative reviews, but I really did not enjoy this. It started out OK but veered off in a bizarre direction that I was not prepared for. And in my opinion, Kellerman really didn't sell the material. Unlikable characters. Awkward writing. Poor pacing. I'm sorry, but I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone, not even Faye Kellerman fans. This is not her best work.
Marisa
I wouldn't have started reading if this if I knew what was coming at the end of the story. The characters were off-putting and just plain weird, for the most part. Plus, having lived in Las Vegas my entire adult life and growing up in the Mormon church, I couldn't help but notice several errors made by the author. I don't recommend this book.
Amanda Patterson
Faye Kellerman leaves Rina and Pete Dekker behind. This novel was CSI before it became a TV show. It's dark, or 'gritty' as some critics say. Set in Las Vegas, filled with mutilated corpses and despicable crimes it will satisfy some crime readers.
It won't satisfy the Dekker fans who are used to the warm fuzzy Dekker duo.
Billie
I like all of the books Faye Kellerman has written with the characters Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus but this one not so much. I really didn't like the people in the book and even though I couldn't have imagined the bizarre ending, I had figured out who the killers were way before I got there. Not my favorite.
Heather Bokon
I haven't read a lot by Faye Kellerman and her writing style was a little jarring at first and took some getting used to. A lot sentence fragments and choppy prose. But once I got into the swing of it, I enjoyed it. I thought that the end was a little off, though. It didn't fit with the rest of the book for me.
Evelyn Wilson
I so enjoyed this book! Loved reading about Poe! I don't understand how you cannot finish reading it! It was full of suspense, romance, danger, mythology. Loved the names they gave the characters. Makes you wonderful if the Government really set off those bombs in the desert!
Emily
Interesting book, well written, with many twists. However, the premise in the final 1/4 of the book is so far-fetched, she kind of lost me. Don't want to say more as I don't want to spoil this book for anyone, but if you aren't into a heavy dose of fantasy, you might feel the same.
Erika
It was horrible. Mostly mediocre throughout, then the supernatural could-see-it-coming-a-mile-away "twist" at the end was just AWFUL. Horrendous. Why do I keep reading this woman? (Because I'm compulsive, once I read a couple of an author's books I read them all. Shame on me.)
Nancy H
This is the first non-Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus book of Faye Kellerman's that I have read, and I liked it very much. The mystery, the setting, and the characters were all good.
Ilean
Sep 26, 2008 Ilean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Recommended to Ilean by: Janiepooh42
Shelves: mystery
This was an unusual murder mystery. It was very interesting but occasionaly a little confusing with the characters. It also had an unusual ending with trying to prove that people can change in to animals as reality or not.
Teri Bryant
It was ok. My grandma gave it to me because it was too gory for her. I found it predictable and base but amusing enough for a summer time killer. I would not pay money for it. Reads as though it were written by a man.
Laurie Stoll
I was quite surprised to find that this was not a book in the Peter Decker series!

I enjoyed the story and the characters of this book. I did not care for the ending very much. I was a little disappointed.
Judy
I actually didn't care for this book much, but I didn't dislike it, so I gave it 2 stars. Parts were interesting, but overall, it was boring and disjointed. Had to force myself to finish it.
Shari
This is one of the worst books I've ever read (well, okay, I didn't finish it because it was THAT bad). It's been years since I read it, and I still shudder when I remember it.
Anna
A fun read, but like all of her books it also is full of real information. It isn't part of her Peter Decker series, so not Jewish lore this time --- instead, werewolves.
Andy Plonka
Except for the brief forays into the paranormal, this was a good book> I like Kellerman's series, but I always like it when an author branches out with a stand alone.
Ruth
I found the shape shifter stuff more believable than the stuff about the prostitute giving it up for free just cause she liked the guy... a bit of a plod.
  • Billy Straight
Faye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, THE RITUAL BATH, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers...more
More about Faye Kellerman...
The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1) Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #3) Hangman (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #19) Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #7) Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)