Day of Atonement (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #4)

Day of Atonement (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,249 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Peter Decker of the L.A.P.D. never dreamed he'd be spending his honeymoon with his new wife, Rina Lazarus, in an Orthodox Jewish enclave in Brooklyn, New York -- or that a terrible event would end it so abruptly. But a boy has vanished from the midst of this close-knit religious community, a troubled youth fleeing the tight bonds and strictures he felt were strangling him....more
Published January 28th 2004 by Harper Torch (first published June 1991)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Meat Market by James ChalkMateguas Island by Linda  Watkins
Best Gripping Books
125th out of 414 books — 385 voters
The Chosen by Chaim PotokThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim PotokSophie's Choice by William Styron
Jews in Literature
393rd out of 396 books — 225 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Chris
aPriL meows 'n growls TLDR
Ok. Here goes.

Decker uses handcuffs on his wife because he wants her to stay in the car. There is no preliminary disagreement. He stops the car, parks it, then he handcuffs her. She is shocked. So was I. She has a gun and she knows how to shoot it, but instead of either letting her help, or calling up for backup, he goes by himself to check out two people who have murdered and robbed. When he is hurting, he won't take pain medication. He won't see a therapist, despite having PTSD from the Vietna...more
Lavinia Kent
I read this book years ago and enjoyed it every bit as much as I did the first time. If you haven't read Kellerman before I recommend going back to the beginning and starting with Ritual Bath. The changing/growing relationship between her hero and heroine are my favorite part of these books and Day of Atonement is no exception. Rina and Peter are newly married in this book and seeing how the learn to work with each other and deal with complicated family problems is wonderful. If I had to rate th...more
Alex
"Day of Atonement" is a Jewish murder mystery which means that someone gets murdered and the Jewish community becomes involved in solving it in some way. I've read a number of these Faye Kellerman mysteries and the early novels involving the "Rina Lazarus" character are pretty good but the later ones tend to overlook the specifically Jewish aspects of the mystery which I enjoy.

The story: Detective Peter Decker and Rina Larazus are newlyweds who have returned to Bourough Park to spend their hone...more
Andrew
My commute to and from work has recently been eased by listening to the Audio CD version of Faye Kellerman’s “Day of Atonement”. This is the 4th book in the series, and while I liked this look into the lives of (now newlywed) Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus, it did not grab me as much as the previous 3. Why not? (Without any spoilers more significant than would be included in a typical cover blurb)

1) The size and/or the pacing. The reading of the book took up 10 full CDs, at an estimated 70 minute...more
Mirrordance
Mi è piaciuto molto questo quarto episodio della serie Peter Decker & Rina Lazarus.
Dalla abituale Los Angeles ci spostiamo a New York ma sempre in una enclave particolare abitata dai parenti del primo marito di Rina. Una luna di miele atipica, invece che mete esotiche un viaggio dai parenti, e neanche parenti proprio, ma i genitori dell'ex marito! Il Sergente Decker viene, suo malgrado, costretto a lavorare alla ricerca di un ragazzino scomparso.
Le vicende lavorative si intrecciano con quel...more
Barbra
Fourth in the series. Powerful reading.

Back Cover Blurb:
When Police Sergeant Peter Decker agreed to spend his honeymoon - and his New Year - with his wife's former in-laws in the most rigidly respectable Jewish district of Brooklyn, the worst he thought it could be was dull. He was wrong. For when Noam, the teenage son of a close family friend, goes missing Decker finds his honeymoon is suddenly over.
Noam appears to have taken off across America with a shadowy individual who has a penchant for k...more
Deb
I'm really enjoying reading through the Decker/Lazarus series. In this one, Decker and Rina have just married, but their honeymoon is far from ordinary. They go to New York to visit with some of Rina's family and suddenly Decker is involved with a family crisis involving a missing teenage boy and a possible psychopath. I love the blend of the relationship between Decker and Rina that continues to develop and the actual thrill of the chase as Decker hunts down the bad guy. Rina asserts herself an...more
Arlene
I am really enjoying reading this series, and learning a lot about the Jewish religion in the process. Peter Decker's cop cynicism meets his growing faith, with sometimes unpleasant results. It makes him more believable. This one touches his family, and the family dynamics are interesting.
Maria
I didn't enjoy the change in setting here because it seemed totally unnecessary, but it is interesting to see how Peter reacts out of his comfort zone and how he and Rina must negotiate boundaries in their relationship.
Rosemarie
Once again, Kellerman produces a novel of suspense with great character development. Detective Decker is not only faced with a missing child within the Orthodox Jewish community, but he also has to face his past in ways he was not expecting. A great book that I couldn't put down.
Janice
Have read Faye Kellerman both before and after this book. This was a little gory but fast moving and very emotional. As with all of her books there is a lot of Jewish customs etc. I enjoyed it very much.
Alison
I'm not Jewish so there were a lot of words I KNOW I butchered in my head while reading this book. Other than that this was a pretty good book. I enjoyed the story, it moved along. It was very "neat" as far as how everything tied together. I know I've read her books in the past and will read more in the future, this one is one that I'll remember later. You know when you read a book and then a couple years later read a book only to discover at the end that you've read it before (which I can't tel...more
Dev Singer
This is not one of my favorites, and I hate what Decker does at the end. But - he has a lot going on. I'm not sure if that makes up for it.
Krissie
Honeymoon, troubled teenager disappears, Peter helps the family and ends up getting shot, but saves the boy.
Jen
The fourth book in this series. Again, I'm more into the interpersonal story arc than the actual crime-solving. Here these two aspects are dovetailed, as Det. Decker is trying to find a runaway for a family closely connected with his new bride, Rina. I found the psycho criminal to be a bit of a bust, and to keep her active in the story, the author has Rina ridiculously trying to involve herself in her husband's policework, and even though Decker gets angry at her, he keeps bringing her along! Ot...more
Andrea
Doesn't disappoint agAin!!
Julia Walker
Love this series. A runaway Hasidic youth finds himself in major trouble and Peter and Rina save the day. I suspect that Kellerman is setting the series up so that Rina becomes Peter's off duty partner.
Margaret
May 24, 2014 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2014
I didn't like this as well as The Ritual Bath - Decker seemed more stressed and the plot got a little drawn out for me. Still an interesting read though.
Judy
I have learned a lot about Judaism by reading Faye Kellerman's books. I really did not understand what Yom Kippur was for until the last chapter of this one. While the young villain is somewhat of a caricature, and therefore unbelievable, the decimation wreaked on families by keeping secrets and lies is laid bare in this book. The the power of family comes through in the end.
Rebecca Huston
4th in the series, and my personal favourite of the lot. Dark mystery, a dreadful secret in Peter Decker's past, and the resolution of Rina and Peter's courtship as they marry -- and spend their honeymoon in Ultra-Orthodox Brooklyn, New York. Good action, and a very tight plot.

For the complete review, please go here:
Katie
An excellent book. This is how a good novel is written. The characters were wonderful and fully developed. The plot developed at a steady pace, although a tad slow at the beginning. The theme was seamlessly interwoven throughout the book. The emotional payoff was perfect. The closing line had me in tears. I'm off to buy the next book in this series. 5 out of 5 stars.
Smitha
Loved this one too. I am deeply involved in the lives of Decker and Lazarus, both personal and proffesional. I feel as if I am out of touch with close acquaintances if I don't read books by Faye Letterman every now and then. This book deal s with teen rebellion and its aftermath, in the setting of a fairly orthodox Jew community
Anna
The series is best enjoyed in chronological order.
Decker ends up hunting down a relative of Rina's, a teenager who has escaped a close-knit religious community. Some of Rina's relatives are behaving like total dicks, which Decker supports to a very high degree... interesting characters though, and lots of things happening.
Jon
Fourth in the series, I have gone back to the very first one, "The Ritual Bath", and am now trying to get caught up. I read some of her later books, but never the series from the beginning. Damn books are addicting. I really enjoy all the religious references. Great character development.
Holly
My favorite in this series, here trouble finds Peter Dexter, detective and his lovely wife Rina Lazarus while visiting her Orthodox Jewish relatives in Brooklyn on their honeymoon. I love the tension between the sacred and the secular in this series and this book exemplifies that pull.
Cathy
It's been years since I read all of these, but they're books that I stay up through the night to finish. I guess I really like them for the Jewish connection, but the crime and it's solution is always a thriller. The back story is a calming side story to the gruesome crime.
Brigitte
Very good and NYorkers' will identify with some of the places, sounds and people. Lets the reader into a world that some may not know. Very suspenseful and good, but feel it could have been wrapped up a little quicker than it was.
Rosie Deannuntis
"Day of Atonement" is a true thriller, suspense driven novel. I loved it as you can see by the time stamp of this review! Please heed Newsday's warning...this is not bedtime reading unless you do not require much sleep! Enjoy!
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
Faye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, THE RITUAL BATH, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers...more
More about Faye Kellerman...
The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1) Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #3) Hangman (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #19) Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #7) Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)

“A cake can be very life-affirming.” 1 likes