Start by marking “The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights” as Want to Read:
The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights

The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights

From one of the finest sisters in crime ("Los Angeles Times") and a "New York Times" bestselling author comes a remarkable anthology of her best short writing, including two new Decker/Lazarus crime-fiction stories.
Published August 1st 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights

Mandy Tanksley
I've read a few short stories collections over the years and have never really enjoyed them as a whole. I usually find myself picking out a tale or two that I enjoyed and wonder why the other stories couldn't have been as good. With Faye Kellerman's collection Garden of Eden, I didn't find myself doing that. In fact, I kept asking myself why I was still reading it. It's not that she isn't a good writer (certainly not the best) or that her stories weren't interesting (some were), but it just didn ...more
pdxmaven
Maybe this is what happens when you are a well-published author of mysteries and need money to send a kid off to college or buy a vacation house at the beach – you round up all your odds and sods of writings you started and never made into books, and publish them as a ‘collection’ of short pieces, described on the cover as “an extraordinary anthology of her best short writing.” Good for two nights of escape reading but not much else – some didn’t even rise to the level of stories but just snipp ...more
alice Tileston
I don't normally read short stories...
now I remember why. the only one in here worth reading had reins and Peter decker in it. the others are forgettable. ....
Mark Soone
3.125 is my rating, so 3 stars seems about right. I have never read kellerman although I have heard of her Decker/Lazarus series. This collection included some cool stories, some nice mysteries including some decker/Lazarus stories, some cute, humerous or heartwarming tales...and a coupleof snoozers. All told I enjoyed this very much and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the book and kellerman's writing style...If her full length decker/Lazarus stories are as entertaining as her shorts, I can' ...more
Dave Schumacher
A couple of good stories but many were rather trite and predictable. Good as an audible book for traveling
Sherrill Watson
Sep 28, 2016 Sherrill Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen stories in 325 pps, most with surprising endings. The most noteworthy mystery is "The Garden of Eden" but "Holy Water' and Mummy and Jack" were also rans. Some were VERY short. Not a gruesome batch of people. An insight into a "family" of sleuths.
Krystl Louwagie
Audio book, review from 2008:

This was a lot of short stories all written or co-written by the author. Most of them were really no good. The writing annoyed me, the characters annoyed me, and some of them just had nothing what so ever to do with "criminal delights" and should not have been in there at all. Most of these were near the end and almost unbearable. :p I suffered through them all though. There were a couple of interesting ones, and the only ones worth checking out:

Mummy and Jack-
A re-t
Cat.
Nov 07, 2013 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really do like short stories. They just read faster than a novel, and right now that's a big bonus!

This collection is an interesting assortment of Peter/Rina stories and more personal things written by Kellerman. One isn't actually a story, but a reminiscence of the author's childhood and her memories of her father.

My favorites, of course, are the ones with the characters I've grown to love in the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series. This is a family I just really like, primarily because their i
Amanda Patterson
Nov 11, 2010 Amanda Patterson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Faye Kellerman is a master crime writer. Her Pete Decker / Rina Lazarus duo outperform most other detective serial novels. Her flawless, interesting characterization and excellent plotting make her the better half of the Kellermans. Or maybe the better third – her son, Jesse, has also joined her and her husband, Jonathan in writing crime.
Kellerman must stick to the novel format. She can’t write a short story that’s worth a second glance in this awful compilation. I feel for the publishers of the
Kris
Jul 19, 2013 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoy Kellerman's mystery novels featuring Rina Lazurus and Peter Decker but was not sure what to expect from a collection of her short stories. Suffice it to say that this collection has a little something for everyone. Rina does appear in this collection as well as a few stories that are humorous and suspenseful. My favorite story “Malibu Dog” features a man that bullies the entire neighborhood with his “trained” pit bull that unfortunately turns the tables on him at his greatest ...more
Joy
The first Faye Kellerman book I've read since I was looking for mystery and all that. The short stories weren't really exciting and I didn't pick up a book from her works after that. The title was promising, there's mystery there, but not that riveting it would keep me turning the pages. There were bizaare things happening, but only the peculiarity would make you wonder what's so special about the stories. The violence was tame for my taste and I'd rather pick another book if I want something ex ...more
Katharine Grubb
I listened to this CD of short stories in my car. Now that I don't commute so far, shorter books are necessary so I can get them back to the library on time. Most of the stories are mysteries, and I enjoyed the first stories in the book. The readers/narrators were all wonderful! There was one story in the book about a prostitute that teams up with her dad to kill her mother that I'd watch out for if you listen to books in the car with your small children. I like Faye Kellerman, and hope to read ...more
Linda
Jan 29, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories in this collection feature Peter and Rina Decker and their family, and there are a few others which tell actual events in Kellerman’s life. Some of the other stories range from uncomfortable to horrifying, and I didn’t enjoy those as much. Each story comes with an introduction where Kellerman tells about how she came to write this particular story, or discusses some of the underlying themes and ideas. I think I’d give it a B minus.

Linda
Nov 16, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pleasure
I think I just simply don't know how to read short stories. I enjoyed several of these stories and would have liked to read more with the particular characters. Some did nothing for me. The ones with characters I knew from Kellerman's novels, I did not enjoy. Then again, I suppose that it is quite difficult to develop a good mystery or crime story in just a few pages and I should appreciate that none of these stories fell completely flat. Think I'll stick with her novels.
Ed
A mixed bag of short fiction from the pen of author Kellerman, best known for her Peter Decker / Rina Lazarus mystery series.

Short Stories - Peter Decker & Rina Lazarus shorts, a short featuring Pater's daughter Cindy, other mysteries, several stories in collaboration with her children, and essays about her family.

Lisa
Sep 28, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The short stories were not that great in this book. There were a couple mysteries that were slightly entertaining and kept me reading hoping things would get better. They didnt. The last few were simply terrible. The one about the generations of women playing Monopoly (Ive blocked its title out of my mind because it was so bad) - SNORE. Skip this book.
Rebecca
I truly enjoy the Peter Decker / Rina Lazarus series that Faye Kellerman writes. This series of short stories was good, particularly the short stories that involved the Decker/Lazarus characters. The last story in the book, about a kidnapped Rabbi, was a bit odd. Overall a quick easy read that I enjoyed.
Ann
Aug 07, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A mostly enjoyable collection that shows different sides of Kellerman. Devotees of the Lazarus/Decker novels may not like it so much, but I've found myself unable to read those novels in recent years as their ugliness and sadism have grown. Most of the stories lacked a certain punch but were fun to read anyway.
Susan
Jul 17, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the author's Peter Decker/Rina Lazurus mysteries, and I liked the short stories in this collection that featured those characters - in a lot of the other stories, though, I missed the balance between tough-guy police procedural and cozy-type mystery that those two characters bring. A lot of the other stories were too hard-bitten for me, with flat characters.
Jen
Aug 18, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh, it was ok. I guess I'm just tired of reading about adultery and murder (usually due to the adultery), so I wasn't that into it. Not bad, but it doesn't inspire me to read more by this author. I am going to try her "Burnt House" though. That does look good, but I will wait to read it when I'm more in the mood for a wily killer and the even wilier detective tracking the killer down.
Ellen
Mare-Bear,
This was a great find. It was different, but fulfilled my Faye needs.
Read it! Others, if you haven't checked her out, do so. I don't really recommend Jonathan's books. He's too gorey and graphic
Denise Link
Mar 23, 2009 Denise Link rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm not a big fan of short stories as a genre, but I didn't want to miss an installment in the Rina/Decker saga. turns out I didn't need to worry: there's not enough meat in the story to miss anything. And the rest of the stories are even less interesting.
Amy (amyb2332)
I definitely liked more of these than others but overall, none of them really wowed me. I had to make myself keep listening to these, especially the last one which was not good in my opinion.

On the positive side though, the narrators were excellent.
Carolyn
Jan 21, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love her novels, but had never read any short work by her before. This is a good way for people to see the many different sides of Ms. Kellerman as an author--suspense, humor, crime & personal essays are all included in this volume
Carly
Apr 02, 2014 Carly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description of these short stories is misleading using words like "sinister"- I found the stories, despite being about murder & crime, to generally be light hearted and often humorous. These are not stories that keep you up at night, but rather good stories that read quickly.
Sara
Dec 23, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kellerman has never been one of my top authors although I occasionally read her mysteries but since I love short stories, I hoped to enjoy these but finally gave up on them since they were mostly very mediocre.
Kathy
Jul 17, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to curl up with. You have the option to read just one story or the whole book. Each story is well written and entertaining. This is a page turner. It is a good read and light enough that you could enjoy it after a hectic day.
Anna Wade
I don't normally like short stories, however, the beginning of the book had some good ones. Towards the end I didn't really understand why those particular stories were in a book that was supposed to be about mysteries.
Mirrordance
Jan 26, 2014 Mirrordance rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fiacco. Un pot pourri di racconti, spezzoni, e rimasugli in genere. Unica nota positiva la scoperta di Simon Prebble come voce narrante. Bella voce, ottima dizione, ottima recitazione, nell'insieme
assai piacevole.
Michelle
Mar 22, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The stories in the beginning of this were really good, crime stories. But, then, the stories at the end... well, I couldn't even tell you what the point was. A let-down.
  • The Executor
  • Black Evening
  • A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women
  • Fiddlers (87th Precinct, #55)
  • Jesus Out to Sea
  • Foggy Mountain Breakdown and Other Stories
  • True Detectives
  • Emerald Decision
  • Betrayal
  • The Tomorrow-Tamer
  • Hostage To Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #6)
  • Small Plates (Faith Fairchild)
  • Guardian of the Dawn (The Sephardic Cycle, #3)
  • The Nekropolis Archives
  • Sullivan's Evidence (Carolyn Sullivan, #3)
  • Not Safe After Dark: And Other Stories
Faye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, THE RITUAL BATH, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers ...more
More about Faye Kellerman...