Start by marking “Just Shopping With Mom (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just Shopping With Mom (Little Critter)

Just Shopping With Mom (Little Critter)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,135 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In this funny let's-go-shopping picture book, Mercer Mayer's famous Little Critter is having a ton of trouble with his little sister. When the family goes shopping, his sister pulls groceries off the shelves, finds a way to get lost, and cries when she can't have all the candy in the candy aisle. The day is a disaster -- until Little Critter's mother invents a way to put a ...more
Published June 18th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Just Shopping With Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Shopping With Mom

Casey Richard
This book is part of Mercer Mayer's, Little Critter Series. This story is about the little critter and his younger sisters shopping with their mother. The little sister is always asking the mom to buy her something outrageous, but mom always says no. The sister throws many fits and demands to get candy, ice cream, a new kitty, etc. After the kids and mother shop for the litter sister's new dress, they all go out to get ice cream, just like the little sister wanted. This story (and Little Critter ...more
Brianna
Mercer Mayer books just send me through nostalgia. My grandmother used to read all the little critter books to all of her grandchildren, and this one was one of my favorites! I love this story; I think it teaches manners and it shows children how "acting up" can be hard for a parent to deal with. Very great illustrations and I believe most children (and adults) will enjoy it!
Stacey Seaman
I love Little Critter books and so does my son. This particular story reminded me of our own shopping trips.
Alison
Animal based stories are not always my faviorite, but some students may find them intresting and may be able to relate to animal stories better than stories with human characters. I believe it is improtant to have a variey in the classroom, and this book would be added to my shelf. This book sends a positive message and a child might learn a lesson from it, and I believe this is an important aspect of a book.
Owlsome Readers
AR Level: 1.7
Points Value: 0.5
AR Quiz No. 7279
Gala
Taking three children to the grocery store what fun. The oldest Critter understood that you can not eat the items in the store but his little sister ate and cried for candy. Mom took the crying baby while brother and sister waited. This was a good mom she bought them a book. Mayer's books all relational for parents having to say no the whole trip.
Deborah Harris
Dec 28, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a24, ar-1
AR Quiz No. 7279 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Darrielle
This is a nice family read about teh whole family shopping with their motehr. Share this story with students in pre-k to 3rd grade to help them share their own personal experiences about shopping and running errands with their parents.
Tori
PB 18: I love the illustrations of the Mercer Mayer books. I also like the overall arrangement of the text and the pictures. This book was relate able to children with siblings, especially younger ones who want to ask for everything.
Kristina Arnold
I think this a good book for the classroom to show you can be rewarded when you behave, however children should never expect a material award every time they show good behavior.
Megan Ekins
Little critter books are fun ones to have in a class room library. Not so much a read aloud book. But a fun one for kids to look at the pictures and read themselves.
Natalie
Haha...this reminded me of what it's like taking all of my kids to the store! My girls love this book--especially because the characters somewhat resemble themselves. :)
Christy
I was thinking about some of my favorite childrens books. This is perfect, just like shopping trips with my children. I enjoy reading this to my children.
Angela Hollen
Little Critter goes to the store with his mom. His little sister creates all kinds of trouble in the store ad wants all kinds of things! For beginning readers.
E
Little Critter's expressive humor speaks to almost every child, but this one loses points for disciplining a character with threats of a spanking.
Melissa
An eventful shopping trip with mom where little sister keeps getting in trouble. The pictures help tell the real story.
Charlotte
My son loves this book. Apparently the bratty little sister reminds him of his own little sister.
Theresa
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children.
Becky
One of the books I found from my predecessor. Looking for books to use for my class.
The Children
perfectly captures what shopping with three kids is like for the mom. But it's funny.
Deana Pittman
AR book--Abbi. She thought this one was ok, but it was "kinda boring."
Amy Carter
I love this book. The older 2 kids remind me of my kids.
Greta
So true to life on many a day out shopping with kids.
Korra
I love this book when I was a kid.
Sara
We really did laugh through this one!
Aerin
March 2009 - my kids' current favorite
Shanna
It's a cute story.
Ckolleen
Ckolleen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Week at Grandma's
  • Froggy's Day with Dad
  • Arthur's Pet Business (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford's Good Deeds
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Arthur's Honey Bear
  • The Cat in the Hat the Movie!: Cooking with the Cat
  • Franklin Is Messy
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)
Just Go to Bed Just for You (Little Critter) Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) I Was So Mad There's a Nightmare in My Closet