The American Revolution: A Concise History

The American Revolution: A Concise History

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Here is a brisk, accessible, and vivid introduction to arguably the most important event in the history of the United States--the American Revolution. Between 1760 and 1800, the American people cast off British rule to create a new nation and a radically new form of government based on the idea that people have the right to govern themselves. In this lively account, Robert...more
Published February 14th 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 17th 2011)

Wendy Graham
I recommend this book to anyone who wants a clear, concise and easy read about the American Revolution. It provided me a good point of departure for additional research. I was able to read the book easily in one day, which is a definite advantage for those of us with busy lives and suspenses to meet.
Andrew
The American Revolution is probably the historical event I studied most from elementary school to college. As an American, I've always been seduced by the story of our nation's founding and didn't mind going over the same ground every couple years. Still, it's sometimes challenging to remember all the details when I've not formally studied the events of 1754 to 1782 in several years. I felt a short, well written history of the Revolution would be a welcome addition to my bookshelf and Robert All...more
Matthew Heil
This book is exactly what it says-- a concise history. Writing is clear, logical and interesting. There are a few excellent nuggets here and if you want to refresh yourself on some aspects of the Revolution this is where you start.

I wish the author had a longer more detailed work, because his style and judgement in presentation is very good.
Marci
I loved this book. This one little book condensed down so much information and cut it up into tinier sections that it gave me a starting place for the research I need to do for a personal project. Before the first chapter was timeline that I simple marked and kept turning back to in order to get events straight in my mind. Instead of using long sections of quotations like a lot of authors do, Robert J. Allison cut it down to a base level of information and made history more intriguing for it!
Matt Danner
This one definitely lives up to the "concise" in it's subtitle. It moves along quickly and is pretty short on any kind of detail or analysis. Still, it does its job and is a good place to start if you need an overview before diving more deeply into a particular portion of the war. You can knock it out in a single evening.
Oliver
A quick easy-read, concise history of the American War of Independence. More narrative than analysis and occasionally short of describing the key players and attempting to explain the era but a good introduction to the subject.
Alex
So concise that it cut much of the most interesting human interest stuff.
Kaan Önem
Kaan Önem marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Lori Beverage
Lori Beverage marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Andee Schuck
Andee Schuck marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Danish Sherazi
Danish Sherazi marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Mark Sims
Mark Sims marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Farhan Chowdhury
Farhan Chowdhury is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2014
Ivor
Ivor marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Sweesh Anderson-jones
Sweesh Anderson-jones is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Pawel_k
Pawel_k marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Sacco and Vanzetti The Crescent Obscured: The United States and the Muslim World, 1776-1815 The Letter Bearer The Boston Strangler A Short History of Cape Cod