Start by marking “The American Revolution: A Concise History” as Want to Read:
The American Revolution: A Concise History

The American Revolution: A Concise History

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Here is a brisk, accessible, and vivid introduction to arguably the most important event in the history of the United States--the American Revolution. Between 1760 and 1800, the American people cast off British rule to create a new nation and a radically new form of government based on the idea that people have the right to govern themselves. In this lively account, Robert ...more
Published February 14th 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Revolution

Wendy Graham
Mar 26, 2013 Wendy Graham rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to anyone who wants a clear, concise and easy read about the American Revolution. It provided me a good point of departure for additional research. I was able to read the book easily in one day, which is a definite advantage for those of us with busy lives and suspenses to meet.
Andrew
Sep 29, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
The American Revolution is probably the historical event I studied most from elementary school to college. As an American, I've always been seduced by the story of our nation's founding and didn't mind going over the same ground every couple years. Still, it's sometimes challenging to remember all the details when I've not formally studied the events of 1754 to 1782 in several years. I felt a short, well written history of the Revolution would be a welcome addition to my bookshelf and Robert All ...more
Daniel Dolan
Feb 06, 2016 Daniel Dolan rated it liked it
It lives up to it's subtitle A Concise History. Take a few hours and learn a great deal about the American Revolutionary War. This book is now being used in the Naval War College strategy and war war course that I teach.
Dave Hatt
Mar 22, 2015 Dave Hatt rated it liked it
A useful aid to refresh the memory, or for somebody very unfamiliar with the period. It briskly covers the key events of the Revolution, analysis is nearly non-existent - but there is a decent 'Further Reading' section.
Jason Miller
Oct 11, 2015 Jason Miller rated it it was amazing
This was probably the first book that made me interested in the American Revolution.
Marci
Mar 09, 2012 Marci rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This one little book condensed down so much information and cut it up into tinier sections that it gave me a starting place for the research I need to do for a personal project. Before the first chapter was timeline that I simple marked and kept turning back to in order to get events straight in my mind. Instead of using long sections of quotations like a lot of authors do, Robert J. Allison cut it down to a base level of information and made history more intriguing for it!
Matthew Heil
Feb 22, 2016 Matthew Heil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-history
This book is exactly what it says-- a concise history. Writing is clear, logical and interesting. There are a few excellent nuggets here and if you want to refresh yourself on some aspects of the Revolution this is where you start.

I wish the author had a longer more detailed work, because his style and judgement in presentation is very good.
Matt Danner
Nov 23, 2012 Matt Danner rated it liked it
This one definitely lives up to the "concise" in it's subtitle. It moves along quickly and is pretty short on any kind of detail or analysis. Still, it does its job and is a good place to start if you need an overview before diving more deeply into a particular portion of the war. You can knock it out in a single evening.
Oliver
Sep 04, 2011 Oliver rated it liked it
Shelves: history
A quick easy-read, concise history of the American War of Independence. More narrative than analysis and occasionally short of describing the key players and attempting to explain the era but a good introduction to the subject.
Alex
Apr 11, 2013 Alex rated it liked it
So concise that it cut much of the most interesting human interest stuff.
Robert Bradshaw
Robert Bradshaw marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Hany Kalash
Hany Kalash marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Kevin Sullivan
Kevin Sullivan rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Noah
Noah rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Kevin Riley
Kevin Riley rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Carroll Gagnon
Carroll Gagnon is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2016
Robert J. Hamilton
Robert J. Hamilton rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Faozah Uyan
Faozah Uyan marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Jasemine
Jasemine marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Christine Ferguson
Christine Ferguson marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Anthony R Menichini
Anthony R Menichini marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Muz
Muz is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2016
Woods
Woods rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016