Start by marking “The American Revolution: A Concise History” as Want to Read:
The American Revolution: A Concise History

The American Revolution: A Concise History

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Here is a brisk, accessible, and vivid introduction to arguably the most important event in the history of the United States--the American Revolution. Between 1760 and 1800, the American people cast off British rule to create a new nation and a radically new form of government based on the idea that people have the right to govern themselves. In this lively account, Robert ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Revolution

Wendy Graham
I recommend this book to anyone who wants a clear, concise and easy read about the American Revolution. It provided me a good point of departure for additional research. I was able to read the book easily in one day, which is a definite advantage for those of us with busy lives and suspenses to meet.
The American Revolution is probably the historical event I studied most from elementary school to college. As an American, I've always been seduced by the story of our nation's founding and didn't mind going over the same ground every couple years. Still, it's sometimes challenging to remember all the details when I've not formally studied the events of 1754 to 1782 in several years. I felt a short, well written history of the Revolution would be a welcome addition to my bookshelf and Robert All ...more
Dave Hatt
A useful aid to refresh the memory, or for somebody very unfamiliar with the period. It briskly covers the key events of the Revolution, analysis is nearly non-existent - but there is a decent 'Further Reading' section.
I loved this book. This one little book condensed down so much information and cut it up into tinier sections that it gave me a starting place for the research I need to do for a personal project. Before the first chapter was timeline that I simple marked and kept turning back to in order to get events straight in my mind. Instead of using long sections of quotations like a lot of authors do, Robert J. Allison cut it down to a base level of information and made history more intriguing for it!
Matthew Heil
This book is exactly what it says-- a concise history. Writing is clear, logical and interesting. There are a few excellent nuggets here and if you want to refresh yourself on some aspects of the Revolution this is where you start.

I wish the author had a longer more detailed work, because his style and judgement in presentation is very good.
Matt Danner
This one definitely lives up to the "concise" in it's subtitle. It moves along quickly and is pretty short on any kind of detail or analysis. Still, it does its job and is a good place to start if you need an overview before diving more deeply into a particular portion of the war. You can knock it out in a single evening.
A quick easy-read, concise history of the American War of Independence. More narrative than analysis and occasionally short of describing the key players and attempting to explain the era but a good introduction to the subject.
So concise that it cut much of the most interesting human interest stuff.
Donna G
Donna G marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Keyonna Moragne
Keyonna Moragne is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Ethar Mahmoud
Ethar Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Peggy added it
Jul 10, 2015
Karl Sander
Karl Sander marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Ali marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Jimmy added it
Jun 12, 2015
Sharon marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Dean added it
May 08, 2015
Ivn marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Len Nguyen
Len Nguyen marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Letter Bearer Sacco and Vanzetti The Boston Strangler A Short History of Cape Cod James Michael Curley