Start by marking “A Microsoft Life” as Want to Read:
A Microsoft Life

A Microsoft Life

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  15 reviews
With over 15 years at the Microsoft Corporation, Stephen "Stepto" Toulouse has been witness to some amazing and fun things. Enjoy a journey through the eyes of a geek working at one of the most important companies in the world as he walks you through events both large and small. Just don't get caught in the Redmond reality distortion field!

What others are saying about "A
Published December 6th 2010 by Stephen Toulouse (first published November 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Microsoft Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Microsoft Life

Toby
I found this book to be a honest and poignant look inside the walls of that ever famous Redmond Campus. Stepto takes you on a journey on how one simple guy, through perseverance, was able to go from outsider to insider in one of the most powerful companies in our age.

The writing in the book was conversational and easy to follow along. I had the "voice" of Stephen Toulouse keep me company for my thirty hour journey as I flew to work half-way around the world. At the close of the book, I found
Doug
This collection of blog entries starts out fairly strong, but began to lose my interest towards the second half of the book. I found the "behind the scenes" look at life at Microsoft much more interesting than the opinion pieces on security/tech/gamer culture.

The author repeatedly tried to reinforce his belief that Microsoft is not "evil", but I couldn't help but question why he felt the need to do so with such frequency. After a while it began to feel like he was a bit unsure himself and consta
Meg Cassidy
Fantastic! I decided to read this book because Stepto was on a nerdy cruise I went on and I'm so glad I had that motivation. I know sometimes I take on the "Microsoft is evil," "Google is evil," "Apple is evil," "okay, every big company is evil!" mentality, but I this book reminds me that the people working for these organizations are just as excited about technology as I am. Most of them don't want to ruin peoples' days. Laughter, tears (argh, I cried in a few places), and some really great inf ...more
Jason David
I read this right after reading GATES. It's a great follow-up book. You get a clear window into Microsoft from the bottom up. Like GATES, it's very sympathetic to the man and the company.
Jim Heivilin
This is a collection of stories from his blog. The stories are great and I found myself thinking of similar events from my own life. It doesn't portray Microsoft as "The Great Evil" that some people believe it to be, it shows what life is like within a large corporation, similar to any other large organization.

It's a fairly quick read and his writing is easy to read and understand. There is some tech lingo but he explains it sufficiently for non-tech people to get his meaning.

I recommend this
Andrew
I'm not sure how best to describe A Microsoft Life. It's a collection of essays, recollections, speeches, and other written content of Stephen 'Stepto' Toulouse, all loosely relating to his time spent as an employee at Microsoft.

It's not a long read, but a very enjoyable one. Stepto really sucks you into each experience and describes it in vivid detail (some may argue too much at times) and leaves you laughing or smiling or crying by the end.

I really can't recommend this enough if you're a geek
Abdulfattah Popoola
Doesn't really teach anything.
Jorge Pinto
Queda claro cuando un libro lo escribe alguien que no es escritor. Esto se siente como una compilacion de blog posts amateur (que de hecho creo que lo es). Anécdotas y chismes que parece que no tocaron el escritorio de un editor. Vanity press, casi. Algunos pedazos interesantes de información sobre la vida y filosofía de Microsoft, pero nada que valga la pena.
Maria
I finished this in three days and enjoyed it largely due to Stephen Toulouse's conversational voice. Sometimes I felt like he was being diplomatic, but I'm not sure if that's because it's his nature or if it's because so much of his writing focuses on Microsoft, where he still works. The book, like its author, is genuinely likable, if not life-altering.
Taylor Fisher
A very interesting look in side Microsoft from a man who's worked in the trenches there for years. I haven't really read Stepto's blog, so this was all new material to me and I enjoyed it. It is pretty short and a very quick read for a short trip.
Matti Paksula
one of the worst books that i've ever tried to read.
Ali Maggs
Really fun look at life inside Microsoft. The Xbox stuff was the most interesting element but there's a lot of good, funny and sometimes inspirational stories.
Ed
A compilation of often isolated stories following Stepto's progression through Microsoft. has some funny anecdotes and insight into the company.
John Walkenford
Geek credentials certified. Got misty-eyed during the PAX chapter. Great book about 15 good years at Microsoft.
Thomas
A fun behind the scenes look at what goes on inside the most confused IT company in the world.
Jason Mccue
Jason Mccue marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Fdk
Fdk added it
Jan 16, 2015
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jan 05, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff
  • Firefly Rain
  • The MVP
  • Sunken Treasure: Wil Wheaton's Hot Cocoa Box Sampler
  • Dork Covenant (Dork Tower, #1)
  • The Science Fiction Century
  • Batman: Murder at Wayne Manor
  • The Long Man
  • Schooled (Lexy Cooper Mystery #1)
  • The Splendid Magic of Penny Arcade: The 11 1/2 Anniversary Edition
  • New Frontier (Star Trek New Frontier: Complete in one volume)
  • A Case of Lone Star (Kinky Friedman, #2)
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs, A Parody
  • 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
  • The Deluge Drivers (Icerigger, #3)
  • Vampire: the Requiem
  • Digital Wars: Apple, Google, Microsoft and the Battle for the Internet
  • The Cartoon Guide to Statistics
Stephen Toulouse, also known as Stepto, is the Director of Xbox LIVE Policy and Enforcement at Microsoft. He frequently represents Microsoft and Xbox Live in various media, including on Larry Hryb's "Major Nelson Radio" Xbox-related podcast, to discuss security and policy issues.

Prior to joining the Xbox team at Microsoft, Toulouse was the head of communications for security response with the Micr
More about Stephen Toulouse...
A Singularity Problem Buddy's Eye (The Endeavour Chronicles) Clash of the Geeks Alloy of Law