Start by marking “The Fyre Mirror: An Elizabeth I Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Fyre Mirror: An Elizabeth I Mystery

The Fyre Mirror: An Elizabeth I Mystery (Elizabeth I #7)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Smitten with spring fever, Elizabeth Tudor escapes London for fantastical Nonsuch Palace in the sweet Surrey countryside. There she hopes to relax and pose for the official royal portrait for which she is holding a competition. But one of her artists is burned to death, and portraits of the queen are going up in flames. When she hears that her rival, the dangerous Mary, Qu ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published August 13th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Fyre Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fyre Mirror

Denise
#7 in Karen Harper's Elizabeth I Mysteries Series. Springtime has come to Elizabethan England and the Queen has gone to Nonsuch Palace in the Surrey countryside. Her father, King Henry VIII, had it built using the finest craftsmen of his time. Now his daughter revels in the perfect weather and fine accommodations...until a deadly fire burns alive two of her subjects. She calls together her "Privy Plot Council" and these amateur detectives are hot on the trail of a murdering arsonist!

NOTE: The s
Moonmomie
I'm biased because I adore this particular genre and time period, and I thoroughly enjoyed this entire series of books by Karen Harper. They are written very similarly to Fiona Buckley's Ursla Blanchard Mysteries.... almost confusingly so. This series focuses on Queen Elizabeth I, herself, solving the murders of her subjects. Absolutely fictitious activities frequent the books (Elizabeth leaving the castle in disguise to chase down clues and criminals). But, this is why it is Historical "Fiction ...more
Charlie
The situation with the artists' competition and the science of using mirrors to start fires were interesting, but the characters were wooden. The history was better than the plot.
Jennie
I find it difficult to believe that any review would claim the dialog in this book is "authentic." I consistently felt my suspension of disbelief un-suspending itself as I read. The villain seemed fairly clear to me from about a quarter of the way through -- and I generally try to avoid guessing.

Alas. I had such high hopes, too. I'll probably read another book in the series to see if this one was perhaps just a fluke.
Katherine Blocksdorf
While I thought the writing was good, the premise was ridiculous. Elizabeth I chasing after mysterious arsonists and taking them on single-handedly? Obviously, lots of folks are entertained by these types of stories, but for me, she led an interesting enough life without making up silly mysteries.
Charlene
I really love this mystery series. Lots of intrigue, danger, and fun with Queen Elizabeth I and her most trusted servants and courtiers use good ole detective work to solve mysteries within her Court. If you like this period of history, you'll have fun with these books.
Jessica
Very good. This was the second book by this author that I have read, and I have enjoyed them thoroughly. I plan on reading the entire Elizabeth I series. Just when you think you know whodunnit, Ms. Harper gives you a new suspect to consider.
Lady Heinz
I enjoyed the story, but having Queen Elizabeth as a detective...well, it just stretches my ability to imagine just a leetle too far. Would have worked if the person solving the mystery was perhaps a character close to the queen instead.
Diane Heath
In this mystery Elizabeth and her Privy Plot Council must discover who is the arsonist killing her artists. What is the motive behind the fires? What did her young protege learn in Italy that has put his life in danger?
Anna
I just could not get into this story. I realize this is fiction, but Elizabeth I as a sleuth solving a murder mystery? Just didn't work for me.
Briansmom
What a fascinating and intriguing story! I love the idea of Q.E.I as a sleuth! Kind of an Elizabethan Sherlock Holmes. A fun read.
Sweety4244
Sweety4244 is currently reading it
Dec 23, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Audrey
Audrey added it
Nov 26, 2014
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Trisha
Trisha added it
Nov 10, 2014
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Kittykorn
Kittykorn marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • Face Down Among the Winchester Geese (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #3)
  • The Gazebo (Miss Silver, #27)
  • Strong As Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • Secret of the Lost Settlement: The Duty of Warriors
  • The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma, #14)
  • Serranto's Redemption (Breaking Out, #2)
  • Dryad
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...
The Last Boleyn The Queen's Governess The First Princess of Wales Mistress Shakespeare The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)