Start by marking “The Fyre Mirror (Elizabeth I Mysteries, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Fyre Mirror (Elizabeth I Mysteries, #7)

The Fyre Mirror (Elizabeth I #7)

Smitten with spring fever, Elizabeth Tudor escapes London for fantastical Nonsuch Palace in the sweet Surrey countryside. There she hopes to relax and pose for the official royal portrait for which she is holding a competition. But one of her artists is burned to death, and portraits of the queen are going up in flames. When she hears that her rival, the dangerous Mary, Qu ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published August 13th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Fyre Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fyre Mirror

Moonmomie
Nov 17, 2008 Moonmomie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm biased because I adore this particular genre and time period, and I thoroughly enjoyed this entire series of books by Karen Harper. They are written very similarly to Fiona Buckley's Ursla Blanchard Mysteries.... almost confusingly so. This series focuses on Queen Elizabeth I, herself, solving the murders of her subjects. Absolutely fictitious activities frequent the books (Elizabeth leaving the castle in disguise to chase down clues and criminals). But, this is why it is Historical "Fiction ...more
Denise
#7 in Karen Harper's Elizabeth I Mysteries Series. Springtime has come to Elizabethan England and the Queen has gone to Nonsuch Palace in the Surrey countryside. Her father, King Henry VIII, had it built using the finest craftsmen of his time. Now his daughter revels in the perfect weather and fine accommodations...until a deadly fire burns alive two of her subjects. She calls together her "Privy Plot Council" and these amateur detectives are hot on the trail of a murdering arsonist!

NOTE: The s
Jennie
I find it difficult to believe that any review would claim the dialog in this book is "authentic." I consistently felt my suspension of disbelief un-suspending itself as I read. The villain seemed fairly clear to me from about a quarter of the way through -- and I generally try to avoid guessing.

Alas. I had such high hopes, too. I'll probably read another book in the series to see if this one was perhaps just a fluke.
Charlene
Feb 04, 2011 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love this mystery series. Lots of intrigue, danger, and fun with Queen Elizabeth I and her most trusted servants and courtiers use good ole detective work to solve mysteries within her Court. If you like this period of history, you'll have fun with these books.
Katherine Blocksdorf
While I thought the writing was good, the premise was ridiculous. Elizabeth I chasing after mysterious arsonists and taking them on single-handedly? Obviously, lots of folks are entertained by these types of stories, but for me, she led an interesting enough life without making up silly mysteries.
Lady Heinz
I enjoyed the story, but having Queen Elizabeth as a detective...well, it just stretches my ability to imagine just a leetle too far. Would have worked if the person solving the mystery was perhaps a character close to the queen instead.
Carmen
Queen Elizabeth decides to have her portrait painted, so she sets up a competition to discover a winning artist. But everything goes wrong. Fires start everywhere, destroying lives and things. Who is responsible? She sets out to discover who and learns more than she bargained for.
Diane Heath
In this mystery Elizabeth and her Privy Plot Council must discover who is the arsonist killing her artists. What is the motive behind the fires? What did her young protege learn in Italy that has put his life in danger?
Jessica
Jul 08, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. This was the second book by this author that I have read, and I have enjoyed them thoroughly. I plan on reading the entire Elizabeth I series. Just when you think you know whodunnit, Ms. Harper gives you a new suspect to consider.
Briansmom
What a fascinating and intriguing story! I love the idea of Q.E.I as a sleuth! Kind of an Elizabethan Sherlock Holmes. A fun read.
Charlie
The situation with the artists' competition and the science of using mirrors to start fires were interesting, but the characters were wooden. The history was better than the plot.
Anna
Oct 25, 2010 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get into this story. I realize this is fiction, but Elizabeth I as a sleuth solving a murder mystery? Just didn't work for me.
Dana Benkert
Dana Benkert rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2011
Pat Sary
Pat Sary rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Rebecca Bausch
Rebecca Bausch rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Redsteve
Redsteve rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2009
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2011
Rae-Anne
Rae-Anne rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Glenda Slaymaker
Glenda Slaymaker rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Yael
Yael rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2007
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Iotis
Iotis rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Carly Tinkler
Carly Tinkler rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2009
Katie Dennis
Katie Dennis rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Emilia
Emilia rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Debby Zigenis-Lowery
Debby Zigenis-Lowery rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • Face Down Among the Winchester Geese (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #3)
  • The Gazebo (Miss Silver, #27)
  • Men and Their Whims
  • Serranto's Redemption (Breaking Out)
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • Dryad
  • Morning's Journey (The Dragon's Dove Chronicles, #2)
  • A Whisper From Eden
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...

Elizabeth I (9 books)
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • The Tidal Poole (Elizabeth I, #2)
  • The Twylight Tower (Elizabeth I, #3)
  • The Queene's Cure (Elizabeth I, #4)
  • The Thorne Maze (Elizabeth I, #5)
  • The Queene's Christmas (Elizabeth I, #6)
  • The Fatal Fashione (Elizabeth I, #8)
  • The Hooded Hawke (Elizabeth I, #9)