Blank-133x176
Selected Poems

Alfred Tennyson

Selected Poems

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,941 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Treasury of verse by the great Victorian poet includes the famous long narrative poem, Enoch Arden, plus "The Lady of Shalott," "The Charge of the Light Brigade," "Break, break, break," "Flower in the crannied Wall" and more. Also included are excerpts from three longer works: The Princess, "Maud" and "The Brook."
168 pages
Published October 1st 1968 by Heinemann Educational Secondary Division (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Nothing was born;
Nothing will die;
All things will change.

- Nothing Will Die

Lord Alfred Tennyson was a poet of the highest calibre, a man who almost made the myths of poets being descended from the gods a reality. His poetry, as it stands, is both in a class of its own and part of the grand literature of his era (the mid 1800s). It is radiant, moral, mythological and artistic poetry. T.S. Eliot certainly gets it correct when he states that the three...more
Anushka
4.5

Poems were brilliant (again, thanks to my teacher or I wouldn't have understood anything) but 0.5 stars less because after doing a feminist analysis of his poems made me realize how biased Lord Tennyson was against women.
I loved all the poems, Ulysses being the masterpiece and despite the above mentioned reason I cannot bring myself to give it less than 5 stars.
God, I love my college for making me read this stuff!
Bruce
I had never before concentrated on reading a large selection of Tennyson’s poetry at one time, having previously read only popular snippets in high school and college English classes, so this collection was an opportunity and a treat, and I came away from it with a number of impressions. Tennyson’s work is filled with Classical allusions – the very titles of many poems are revelatory: “The Lotus Eaters,” “Ulysses,” “Tithonus,” “Tiresias” – and such allusions are rich and wonderful if one has kno...more
J. Alfred
There is a certain way my professor used to say he liked something: he used to say it in a way that is sort of an attack on any opposite opinion, as if if someone did not like that particular thing, they had some 'splanin to do. Try and picture that sort of expression used in the following statement: I LIKE TENNYSON. I like him a lot. I love the way he takes periphrial characters, like Mariana or Oenone, and creates beautiful laments for them. I like the way he embraces the Romantic, yet stays s...more
Charles
Nov 01, 2009 Charles rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Charles by: Richard Matkins
The literary world changed the day I heard a recitation of Tennyson's "Ulysses." The Kraken moves with force all the same.
tijana
Stunning poetry. ''Ulysses'' will forever be one of my favorite poems of all times, ever since the day I first read it in Lit class. I still know the ending lyrics by heart.

"... and tho' we are not that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak in time and fate, but strong in will
to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

Breathtakingly beautiful. It's one of those things that make you feel one with the rest of hum...more
Kelly
Marriage Morning

Light, so low upon earth,
You send a flash to the sun.
Here is the golden close of love,
All my wooing is done.
Oh, the woods and the meadows,
Woods where we hid from the wet,
Stiles where we stay'd to be kind,
Meadows in which we met!

Light, so low in the vale
You flash and lighten afar,
For this is the golden morning of love,
And you are his morning start.
Flash, I am coming, I come,
By meadow and stile and wood,
Oh, lighten into my eyes and heart,
Into my heart and my blood!

Heart, are you g
Jonathan Hutchins
Three months to read Christopher Ricks's Tennyson selection, a volume of only 384 pages including notes, plus Introduction. In a physiotherapist's reception area, while waiting in the car to pick my partner up from work, and finally in a burst of sustained attention, at home in the last couple of days. This says more about my rustiness in reading poetry and my ambivalent feelings than about the quality and interest of the poetry itself. It is 'full of quotations', of course, and the sonorous bla...more
Amalie
This is a good edition easy to use in the classroom and affordable. The editorial note is brief but covers up important facts such as a Chronology of important dates and events concerning Tennyson's life. This however does not include an introduction so for new-readers might find it to be an obstacle but a trip to a library will solve that, I guess.

The collection covers 56 of Tennyson's most memorable poems. Also included here are extracts from "The Princess", "Maud" "Idylls of the King", poems...more
Nathan
i bought this book when i was working on 'i am a camera.' i had no money at the time and this book was twice as expensive as all the other tennyson books, but it was also much more beautiful than the other ones. i stood in the aisle of biography books and picked it up and put it down and picked it up again, all the while concocting ways i could save money in other areas and have the better book. i decided for the next few weeks i would just eat my dinner out of cans, clutched the book to me and...more
Barry
Jul 27, 2009 Barry is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have known Tennyson's poems for a long time without knowing I did; "The Lady of Shalott" is beautifully put to music by Celtic singer Loreena McKennitt, about a lost time of chivalry, knights, and damsels in distress, as well as mirrors cracking. "Tithonus" is a hauntingly written poem about a man granted immortality but not the gift of staying young. Other poems that I have read so far are written in such a potently lyrical, saddened, sharp style as to be wholly original and startling. Tennys...more
Ariel
"Hateful is the dark-blue sky,
Vaulted o'er the dark-blue sea.
Death is the end of life; ah, why
Should life all labour be?
Time driveth onward fast,
And in a little while our lips are dumb.
Let us alone.
What is it that will last?
All things are taken from us, and become
Portions and parcels of the dreadful Past.
Let us alone.
What pleasure can we have
To war with evil? Is there any peace
In ever climbing up the climbing wave?
All things have rest, and ripen toward the grave
In silence; ripen, fa...more
Saskia
Must be one of my favourite poets of all time. ^_^
Derek
Dark house, by which once more I stand
Here in the long unlovely street,
Doors, where my heart was used to beat
So quickly, waiting for a hand,

A hand that can be clasp'd no more—
Behold me, for I cannot sleep,
And like a guilty thing I creep
At earliest morning to the door.

He is not here; but far away
The noise of life begins again,
And ghastly thro' the drizzling rain
On the bald street breaks the blank day.
D Hendrix
"... and tho' we are not that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak in time and fate, but strong in will
to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

It is a testament to the poetry of this Lord Tennyson that I know those lines by heart. Truly, my favorite poets are of Irish extraction but I hold a special place in my heart for the words of Tennyson.
Don
I had been meaning to read a book of poetry for awhile....really hadn't done that since college or earlier. I picked Tennyson because I always liked "The Charge of the Light Brigade," and thought I would explore his work a little more. Enjoyed the read, and found a couple new favorite Tennyson poems to revisit from time - "A Character," "The Kraken," and "Crossing the Bar" - each with its own unique imagery and beautiful language.
Sebastian Claici
Poetry that seems to flow from a deep hollow within Tennyson's soul. The only qualm I have with this book is it's lack of the complete Idylls of the King, but one can't have everything.

It little profits that an idle king1,
By this still hearth, among these barren crags,
Matched with an agèd wife, I mete and dole
Unequal laws unto a savage race,
That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.
Esther
This is a pleasantly cohesive collection of Tennyson's work with a helpful introduction and useful notes in the back. I thoroughly enjoyed studying this text with my AS literature students and it was amazing to realise how pervasive Tennyson's influence is within British culture. Having thought I didn't really know his work, it was fantastic to find it so familiar.
Jerome Peterson
The poetry of Tennyson is filled with vivid images of earth's elements; wind, rain, sunshine. I also enjoyed his descriptions as he used many types of trees, flowers, and birds. Though Tennyson' poetry was written during the Victorian age of England it is a refreshing and whimsical read and still makes one dream and hope for true love.
Chris
A dirty little secret - I never liked Tennyson as much as I pretended I did, even back when I was a long-locked undergrad reading poetry by moonlight in the gardens at Bard. I always WANTED to like Tennyson, as he's the hight of Victorian midieval obsessions, but its all too . . . formal. Give me the real middle ages any day.
Lisa
This book is an old friend; I've been reading it since before I understood half the things he was saying. It's not too often you find verses by one of the grand old masters that inspire similar feelings to those called up by a mug of hot chocolate and a huggable teddy bear.
Pink
I've decided that these selected poetry editions are not the best selections. I know there are Tennyson poems I enjoy, but none were included here. I think in future I will try a different publisher to help with my continued effort to appreciate some classic poetry.
Heather
This is my favorite collection of poetry. Tennyson just speaks to me, for some reason. My first taste of Tennyson was "The Lotus Eaters" which I studied in High School in connection with "The Odyssey." I get warm fuzzies just thinking about Tennyson and Homer.
Cheryl
19th Century poetry is beautiful. Tennyson's works are pure bliss. When I read his poems, I just go off into a distant land in my head, and everything else just fades away. It's so freaky, but I love it, and I love Tennyson. I can't wait to start on his novels. Ahh.
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
2.5 stars! I tried to like this! I tried really hard! I like the Lady of Shallot and Ring Wild Bells. Halfway through the book I had the thought that maybe Tennyson was just not hugged enough as a kid! The love of writing about death was bringing me down!
Melanie Kulbaba
"The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:
The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep moans round with many voices.
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world. "

Love it!
Kuniko
I love Victorian poets and Tennyson is probably my favorite. "Maud" is my favorite poem; it's so dark and twisted. I wish poets still wrote things like this today.
Maisie
I love Tennyson, I have had to read his poems in English atm and I surprisingly like his works. Tithonus is my favourite, I think, along with The Lotus Eaters
Susie Spizzirro
It is almost impossible to say anything about Tennyson, One of our greatest. I could sit with his poems for hours, reading over and over.
Nick Black
I'm pretty sure the only poem I've quoted more in my life than Tennyson's Ulysses is The Wasteland. Totally epic.
  • Selected Poetry
  • Lord Byron: The Major Works
  • Renascence and Other Poems
  • The Complete Poems and Translations
  • The Complete Poems
Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson, FRS (most commonly known as Alfred, Lord Tennyson) was Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom during much of Queen Victoria's reign and remains one of the most popular English-language poets. He is particularly known for his polished style and exact understanding of metre.
More about Alfred Tennyson...
The Lady of Shalott Poetry (Norton Critical Editions) Idylls of the King In Memoriam Tennyson: Poems

“Willows whiten, aspens quiver, little breezes dusk and shiver, thro' the wave that runs forever by the island in the river, flowing down to Camelot. Four gray walls and four gray towers, overlook a space of flowers, and the silent isle imbowers, the Lady of Shalott.” 53 likes