Start by marking “Lover in the Rough” as Want to Read:
Lover in the Rough

Lover in the Rough

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  710 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Reba Farrall was lost—until a kindly old gentleman took her under his wing and helped heal her shattered spirit. Now her dearest friend is gone, leaving her with a doubting, broken heart...and half-interest in a California gem mine. But Chance Walker has burst into Reba's life—a daring adventurer who believes in nothing except the priceless uncut stones for which he search ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Lover in the Rough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lover in the Rough

Alexis-Morgan Roark
I know it's an older book. I was prepared for that. I was not, however, prepared for the storyline and the way the characters developed. I just didn't like it. The dialogue was waaaay over the top and gave me the shudders.

It's obvious Ms. Lowell did her research, and I think all of it's within the pages of this book! Every gem-related metaphor one could imagine is inside. I don't like giving bad reviews, because...hey, they're published, and I'm not, but this is just not my cuppa, you know?

I thi
Kari
I am a huge fan of Elizabeth Lowell. So far I have enjoyed most of her books. I think Lover in the Rough might be the exception. You can definitely tell that this is an early work. If I had to chose a word to describe it, that word would be cheesy. I couldn't help but giggle through this entire book. The subject matter, gems, serves as a metaphor for just about everything in the book. From the beauty of both Reba and Chance's eyes to the sunsets and desert. It is loaded with them!

Chance Walker,
Queen
I think this must be my first romance novel, by accident. I bought the audiobook on sale for only $6. The metaphors in the book are fantastic. The author clearly knows gemstones and uses them to describe people, emotions, puns, etc. After awhile, though, it was over the top so that any imagery or analogy using diamonds or emeralds or turmaline (?) would cause my eyes to roll in the back of my head. It's like when a lady wears so much gold that it is gaudy and loses its value. ha! The meant-to-be ...more
Joni
I love Elizabeth Lowell however this book was not my favorite. Reba was sad alone and had just lost her best friend. He only person who cared for her for who she was, not what she looked like or what she had. Along came Chance, rugged, handsome and protective,at least as far as Reba can see. The romance was a little over the top for me through most of the book,I wanted more story. The end picked up when Reba discovered Chance betrayed her. She reacted as I thought she should, which made me like ...more
Raďoušek
Moc pěkné,taky bych to chtěla zažít :o))))
Anita Fleming
A good early romance from Elizabeth Lowell. I liked it. It is set in Death Valley, Beverly Hills and eastern San Diego County and is about Reba, who owns 1/2 of a mine. The other 1/2 belongs to a cousin in Austrila, with whom she has no contact. Reba's business is Objects d' Art, including rare gems and artifacts. Into Reba's life comes Chance, a stranger who knows a lot about Reba's mine, even though he has just met her. She is head over heals in love with someone she thints wants her, for her. ...more
Kristine
Elizabeth Lowell does it again. Makes me believe in utter passion and soul mates. No major surprises or drama here, but a fine love story. Chance and Reba make a great couple. The only thing that sorta bugged me were the gymnastics references, seemed kinda pointless and as the mom of a former gymnast not sure they rang true. But overall a good story.
C K
I believe the companion book to this is something like 'Song for a Raven' and both are excellent! This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Cindy
Set in the San Diego [California] back country prospecting for tourmaline - I really enjoyed it. Lots of talk about gems/mining/etc that I find interesting but others might not. One of her earlier works, it doesn't have the polish that her later books like the Donovans or Rarities, Ltd. do. Contemporary setting.
Pam Terry
I did like Lover in the Rough, I though Chance was sweet and although he was very "rough" he was totally in love and I like that in my Heroes...As for the leading lady...she did not take any crap, I like that too...this book was entertaining....
Abby Fick
"Typical" romance which is not my typical kind of book (impossible scenarios, over-the-top flowery language a guy would NEVER say, etc.). Guess I'll stick with her later stuff which is good.
Jennifer Worry
This book was not so great. It was a very boring read. Everything and everyone were flat and predictable. I hope that not all of her books are this way.
Darlis
There was absolutely no plot here and we just got tired of all the simmering passion, blood throbbings, and his biceps like stone. Don't waste your time.
Patti Keller
I finished this book because I kept thinking it would get better...it didn't!
PWRL
Sep 20, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
O
terri tolentino
terri tolentino marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Samm Serrinnitty
Samm Serrinnitty marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Colleen Maarlie
Colleen Maarlie marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Eileen Rickert
Eileen Rickert marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Michele Stewart
Michele Stewart marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Laura Thompson
Laura Thompson marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Sima
Sima marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • The Ruby
  • Border Storm (Border Trilogy I, #3)
  • Secrets of a Duchess
  • Brides to Be
  • Season of Wishes (Draycott Abbey #5)
  • The Diabolical Baron
  • Ladies' Man
  • Ride The Thunder
  • Gift of Fire (Gift, #2)
  • To Taste the Wine
  • The Indiscretion
  • True Heart (Clan MacKenzie #5)
  • The Emperor's New Clothes
  • Dream Fever
  • Blue Velvet
  • Phi Beta Bimbo
  • Enemy Mine (Antiquities Hunters, #1)
  • And One Wore Gray (Cameron Family Saga #5)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)