Start by marking “The Indie Author Guide: Self-Publishing Strategies Anyone Can Use” as Want to Read:
The Indie Author Guide: Self-Publishing Strategies Anyone Can Use

The Indie Author Guide: Self-Publishing Strategies Anyone Can Use

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  23 reviews
This Is Your Roadmap to Success! "The Indie Author Guide" takes you through every stage of the self-publishing process. With e-books, print on demand and the power of Web 2.0, you have the ability to publish your own high quality books and go indie—just as filmmakers and musicians have done. Get detailed instructions, complemented by screenshots, so you can get the most of ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about The Indie Author Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indie Author Guide

Lis
Should be called "The Indie Author Who Doesn't Really Want To Be an Indie Author Guide". Despite periodic reassurances to the contrary, the author clearly as a bias toward feeling that indie publishing is not as good as traditional publishing, and just KNOWS that her readers really would prefer to be picked up by a publisher. That was very annoying.

Also annoying was the fact that I quickly found I couldn't trust her to know what she was talking about. For instance, the section on personal facebo
Terri R
Certainly this book is well-written and well-organized. However, generally information and tips are fairly basic and unimaginative. There is a good bit of detail presented on BASIC information on the technical side of setting up an authors platform and publishing. However, if you already have a solid competency in this area the information will not be useful.

Much of the general tips and recommendations are very similar to information that one can gather through other sources, such as blogs from
Cynthia Haggard
I discovered THE INDIE AUTHOR GUIDE: SELF-PUBLISHING STRATEGIES ANYONE CAN USE by April L. Hamilton, because it was used as the textbook for a course I took at Writer’s Digest University on self-publishing.

Although this book is not as comprehensive as THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE that I reviewed last week, its great strength lies in two qualities.

First, it is organized so that it takes you through the whole process of self-publishing. Chapter One is an introduction to the world of indie authorship. Chap
Marie Segares
I picked up this book at the Borders closing sale in 2011, and it was my first foray the world of self-publishing, or indie publishing as April L. Hamilton calls it. I started reading it immediately, got about 60% through, and then lent it to a friend for what turned out to be about a year. I just got it back this weekend and finished it up today.

If you're clueless about self-publishing (and even need an overview of traditional publishing, too), and you're not very tech savvy, this book definite
Rich Toback
This book was extremely helpful as an aid in learning how to self-publish a book. Extremely well written and easy to understand, which is good when you're not very smart. LOL

If you are planning to publish a book yourself, you must read this book!!!!
D.C. Hubbard
Apr 15, 2012 D.C. Hubbard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ...anyone contemplating the step.
Inspirational reading for anyone wanting to get their story out there and finding themselves locked out of the system by the gatekeepers. Ms Hamilton offers hands-on technical support as well as the moral support needed to go for it. Whether you decide to do a complete Do-It-Yourself publication or opt for an indie publisher who will take some of the load of your back, this book provides the tools and gives you a can-do feeling. This reader found the needed encouragment and courage to go for it ...more
HastyWords HastyWords
Simply over-flowing with really well organized, detailed information. Love this book.
Monica Rodriguez
April Hamilton's book is a comprehensive guide to indie publishing, covering general and specific topics, from picking the type of publishing that's best for you to how to format a document for an ebook. It's easy to understand; in fact Hamilton explains everything as if you're entirely new to the topic. Since I'm not new to the topic, I simply skimmed where she did go into details I already knew. The heftiest sections were the most beneficial: those on Author Platform. Highly recommended for an ...more
Bridgina Molloy
I read this book while looking for information on Admin work for writers, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is written in an easy to understand language, and contains a vast amount of information on not only publishing your book as an Indie Author, or along traditional routes, but also about building your own brand. There is so much in here that would be useful to know.

I would heartily recommend this book to anyone who is considering publishing their own book, or looking for information on how
Miriam
A good reference for people who are interested in getting published and are thinking about trying the do-it-yourself approach. It lists all the steps involved in independent publishing and includes checklists and other guides. I don't know very much about this topic, but it seemed to be very thorough.

My only real quibble was with the formatting. The pages are printed in two columns, which is fine for a book of this size, but the font seemed smaller than usual, and the layout seemed a little cra
Desiree
Very informative. She gives a very concise look into the world of publishing and I think would cause anyone to question the merit of "traditional" publishing in the current market.

Also, her writing style is accessible to anyone, not dry like you might expect from what is essentially a reference book.

Full review here: http://www.examiner.com/article/book-...
Michelle Lynne
One of the most useful "How To" books I've ever read, especially when it comes to writing. This self-publishing book actually includes the "How To" on how to format your Word program to make a proper manuscript shell, and step-by-step instructions on how to market yourself online. I learned a lot from it, and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in getting a book self-published!
Patricia Patterson
April Hamilton has given a writer more concise information in this book than I've ever read. She explains with words, diagrams, and her stories. You can go from Word to Published without leaving your computer. No, you do not have to be a technology person to perform the avenues she takes you through. This is a "KEEPER" book for any reference you need to publishing. Thanks, April.
Hannah Clark
This book was more informative than "Becoming An Indie-Author" but it wasn't quite as entertaining. That being said, the information was clear and consice and April gave a lot of great ideas to help any author promote and publish their book successfully.
Leah Good
After reading Rachel Starr Thomson's Seventh World trilogy, I contacted her to ask some writing/self-publishing questions. She recommended this book to me. It is wonderful! Easy to read and very informative.
Jodie
It's a great book for getting ideas, although these days I would imagine most people are part of an online community where marketing ideas can be shared, as well as the results. Still, if you need a starting point, this book is great for that!
Kellea
Great resource for independent and/or self publishing writers. I would have liked more info on business set up for authors (like LLC, sole proprietorship, etc.) But overall its a great book I refer to often.
Lisa Nolan
By far the best book for writers and bloggers looking into self-publishing. (Albeit the book was published in 2010, there is still a ton of information!)
Kalen Cap
Great book that clearly goes over the details of how to create chapter files for uploading as well as other key suggestions for indie authors.
Michael
Jun 02, 2011 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new authors
Among the many books on self-publishing, one of the few sensible books to take both author's time and money into account.
Erika Hoogesteger
Very easy to read and full of practical advice. But, as another reader noted, it is fairly obvious advice...
Jan Deelstra
There is a lot of good information in this book. It's quite comprehensive, and worth taking a look.
Russ Olsen
Decent book, although now a bit dated and aimed at the somewhat less than tech savvy.
Serena Tan
Serena Tan marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Vespinarina
Vespinarina marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Alexandra Dean
Alexandra Dean marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Self Publishing 2 4 Dec 28, 2012 06:52PM
April L. Hamilton is an author, blogger, Technorati BlogCritic, leading advocate and speaker for the indie author movement, and founder and Editor in Chief of Publetariat, the premier online news hub and community for indie authors and small imprints. April is also on the Board of Directors for the Association of Independent Authors.

In 2009, she launched Publetariat Vault University, an online edu
More about April Hamilton...
From Concept to Community Snow Ball How To Declutter Your House The Interior Designer Way Counter Intelligence: The Best of April's Kitchen All Grown Up