Start by marking “Afstand van Amerika” as Want to Read:
Afstand van Amerika

Afstand van Amerika

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Deena wil trouwen met Daniël, een orthodoxe jood. Deena's vader, een chassidische geleerde, verzet zich aanvankelijk krachtig tegen dit huwelijk: de getallen die hebreeuwse letters van hun namen symboliseren, vormen bij elkaar opgeteld het woord verdriet. Toch lijkt het aanvankelijk een gelukkig huwelijk te worden. Samen werken Deena en Daniël aan de restauratie van een ou...more
Published 1998 by Meulenhoff

To ask other readers questions about Afstand van Amerika, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afstand van Amerika

Anita
This book's description was deceptive, as it promises an in-depth look at Orthodox Jewish life through the eyes of its narrator, Deena. The book follows the daily life of a couple seeking to establish themselves in marriage as well as a home. I think the book's focus was on ethnic Judaism versus religious Jewish life. I found Deena less religious in America in comparison to her husband, Daniel. Her religion becomes running, if anything. As the couple attempts to achieve the American Dream, throu...more
MaryannC.Book Fiend
I read this before I joined Goodreads and I read it a few times because I own the book. What I have to say about this is that Pearl Abraham is a fine writer, but this story is like a aimless wandering for me. The main character just seemed to let things happen in her life and in her marriage. She just didnt seem to care about where things were going for her. Maybe that's the gist of the character, but sometimes it was aggravating, like I wanted to shout at her and say *Do something already!".
Katie
A bit aimless, as others have said. I wanted to shake Deena and Daniel. There was not much Jewishness in it at all, which might have made it more interesting. Discussions of watching paint dry are as interesting as they sound. I can hear renovation stories from friends and family, I don't need to read about them. It was readable, in an unexciting way. If what you want is meandering introspection, go for it.
Shevy Friedman-Moser
i didn't appreciate that there didn't seem to be any definites in the plot- couldn't tell when the conflict started and ended and i didn't see any growth in any of the characters...one could argue that this makes the book realistic since this is how life is, which may be true, but it didn't make for an enjoyable read.
Elizabeth
I started reading this book. I hated everything about it. I stopped after the 3rd chapter maybe. I didn't like the direction in where it seemed to be going. It was very boring and I hope not all of her books are like this.
Greta Vercruyce
The story of a marriage breaking down, told by the wife. The characters in this book do not really come to live, actually I was a bit bored by the marriage /story too..!
hagar
A somewhat depressing, believable story of the dissolution of a marriage, because of differences of faith and belief.
Elizabeth
I'm surprised I even finished this book. I think I kept waiting for it to get better. It never did.
Leah
another mediocre book from the free book place. what's with these free books?
Caroline
contemporary Orthodox Jewish woman copes.
Jeanne
I liked The Romance Reader a whole lot better.
Rachael
Singlehood anthem for women. Loved it!
Hanna
a little dull.
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Sep 17, 2014
Andrea Milrad
Andrea Milrad marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Katherine Allen
Katherine Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Pearl Abraham is the author of the novels The Romance Reader and Giving Up America, and the editor of the Dutch anthology Een Sterke Vrouw: Jewish Heroines in Literature. Her work has appeared in Brooklyn Noir, The Michigan Quarterly, Religion in America, Dog Culture: Writers on the Character of Canines, and Forward.
More about Pearl Abraham...
The Romance Reader American Taliban: A Novel The Seventh Beggar Een sterke vrouw, wie zal haar vinden? Brooklyn Noir