The Giants of French Literature: Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus

The Giants of French Literature: Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  8 reviews

In this series of lectures, Professor Katherine Elkins details the lives and works of the premier French writers of the last two centuries. With keen insight into her subject material, Professor Elkins discusses the attributes that made classics of such works as Balzac's Human Comedy, Flaubert's Madame Bovary, Proust's In Search of Lost Time, and Camus' The Stranger. Liter

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published 2010)

Tony
Elkins, Katherine L. (Lecturer). THE GIANTS OF FRENCH LITERATURE: Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus. (2010). *****. This is a recorded book issued by “The Modern Scholar,” a division of “Recorded Books.” It is a series of fourteen lectures (each ca. 40-minutes long) that are delivered by Professor Elkins, of Kenyon College. Overall, the course was founded on sound research collation of the positions of these four writers based on critical opinons over the years. Professor Elkins comes across a...more
Laurel
3.5 stars. Book discussions are never quite as interesting when you haven't read the books being discussed. The professor chose Balzac, Flaubert, Proust and Camus as the four main giants of French literature. She gave an overview of their lives and works, and specifically analyzed one or two books by each author. Of those, I'd only read Flaubert's Madame Bovary, and I didn't like it.

Still, I appreciated her enthusiasm and passion for the subject. I also now have a greater interest in reading bot...more
Tim Weakley
Top of the line. A great discussion of the subject with a marvelous thoughtful summation. It provides intelligent exposure to authors you have likely not read, and gives you reasons to find the books discussed to read them for yourself.
Emma
I found this audiobook totally by chance: another library user had left the catalog open to this item. It sound interesting and the person had not checked it out, so I did!
It’s part of the Modern Scholar Series, an interesting series of lectures on all kinds of topics, by excellent teachers.

This teacher focuses on Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus.
She highlights what’s specific to that author, presents some of his major works, and draws interesting parallels between these 4 novelists.
I have to...more
Garren
I appreciate audio courses on writers whom I'm not eager to read and take the time to understand on my own. Had the same feeling about the course on Modernism. Probably not going to read much of any of these, except Camus...but that wouldn't be the first time. Maybe I'll give Proust a try.
Robyn Blaber
Jul 18, 2011 Robyn Blaber rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, lovers of French literature
After reading book after book in my personal study of French literature, it was very nice to have someone educated connect the dots for me. Literature is not written in a vacuum and it was very insightful to see how Balzac influenced Floubert, who in turn influenced Proust and later Camus. As a writer in Paris, Camus is a hard act to follow, though like Camus, I have read the great authors before me.
Bookwyrm13
Better than i expected, but as evedent as the proffesors pasion for the subject is I just couldnt get interested
Barbara
LOVED this book, especially the author's writing and reading.
Wish she wrote more.
Dustin McDowell
Dustin McDowell marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Michael Murray
Michael Murray marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Deneen
Deneen marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Deppie
Deppie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Staci
Staci marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Classical
Classical marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Magda
Magda marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Polly
Polly marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Irena
Irena marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013