Start by marking “The Giants of French Literature: Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus” as Want to Read:
The Giants of French Literature: Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus

The Giants of French Literature: Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus

In this series of lectures, Professor Katherine Elkins details the lives and works of the premier French writers of the last two centuries. With keen insight into her subject material, Professor Elkins discusses the attributes that made classics of such works as Balzac's Human Comedy, Flaubert's Madame Bovary, Proust's In Search of Lost Time, and Camus' The Stranger. Liter

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Giants of French Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giants of French Literature

Tony
Jan 19, 2011 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elkins, Katherine L. (Lecturer). THE GIANTS OF FRENCH LITERATURE: Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus. (2010). *****. This is a recorded book issued by “The Modern Scholar,” a division of “Recorded Books.” It is a series of fourteen lectures (each ca. 40-minutes long) that are delivered by Professor Elkins, of Kenyon College. Overall, the course was founded on sound research collation of the positions of these four writers based on critical opinons over the years. Professor Elkins comes across a ...more
Laurel
3.5 stars. Book discussions are never quite as interesting when you haven't read the books being discussed. The professor chose Balzac, Flaubert, Proust and Camus as the four main giants of French literature. She gave an overview of their lives and works, and specifically analyzed one or two books by each author. Of those, I'd only read Flaubert's Madame Bovary, and I didn't like it.

Still, I appreciated her enthusiasm and passion for the subject. I also now have a greater interest in reading bot
Tim Weakley
May 20, 2012 Tim Weakley rated it it was amazing
Top of the line. A great discussion of the subject with a marvelous thoughtful summation. It provides intelligent exposure to authors you have likely not read, and gives you reasons to find the books discussed to read them for yourself.
Emma
Jun 09, 2011 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this audiobook totally by chance: another library user had left the catalog open to this item. It sound interesting and the person had not checked it out, so I did!
It’s part of the Modern Scholar Series, an interesting series of lectures on all kinds of topics, by excellent teachers.

This teacher focuses on Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, and Camus.
She highlights what’s specific to that author, presents some of his major works, and draws interesting parallels between these 4 novelists.
I have to
Robyn Blaber
Jul 18, 2011 Robyn Blaber rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers, lovers of French literature
After reading book after book in my personal study of French literature, it was very nice to have someone educated connect the dots for me. Literature is not written in a vacuum and it was very insightful to see how Balzac influenced Floubert, who in turn influenced Proust and later Camus. As a writer in Paris, Camus is a hard act to follow, though like Camus, I have read the great authors before me.
Garren
Jan 18, 2014 Garren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-courses
I appreciate audio courses on writers whom I'm not eager to read and take the time to understand on my own. Had the same feeling about the course on Modernism. Probably not going to read much of any of these, except Camus...but that wouldn't be the first time. Maybe I'll give Proust a try.
Bookwyrm13
Better than i expected, but as evedent as the proffesors pasion for the subject is I just couldnt get interested
Barbara
LOVED this book, especially the author's writing and reading.
Wish she wrote more.
Andrea Giovana
Andrea Giovana rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Phoenix Cai
Phoenix Cai rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Llaura Aodh
Llaura Aodh rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Laura Mulcahey
Laura Mulcahey rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
John Shannon
John Shannon rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2017
Daniel Sperry
Daniel Sperry rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Vince Darcangelo
Vince Darcangelo rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2011
Francesca
Francesca rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2010
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
May 21, 2013
pickwickianmom
pickwickianmom rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Mallory Hall
Mallory Hall rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Dimitar Ivanov
Dimitar Ivanov rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Zahid
Zahid rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Bc
Bc rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Skim
Skim rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2010
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2011
King Cotton
King Cotton rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Iris
Iris rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
ihatebooks
ihatebooks rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013