Start by marking “Terminally Beautiful” as Want to Read:
Terminally Beautiful

Terminally Beautiful

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Diana isn’t pretty like you.

She isn’t smart like you, or interesting like you.

No one loves her like we all love you.

You don’t need plastic surgery on your body or therapy for your brain.

But Diana does.

Diana has to go to a rehab for ugly girls while you are too beautiful for this book.

We hope you never die.
Published March 14th 2011 by Lulu

To ask other readers questions about Terminally Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terminally Beautiful

Danger
This book has infested me.

Please, let me explain:

There is something uniquely human about Stewart’s prose. It’s both honest and unnerving, but not in the usual “cheap” way. It doesn’t use hackneyed tricks to get you to feel a certain way, like you’re a complacent member of some nameless studio audience and there’s a big neon sign above your head that reads FEEL SAD. FEEL SYMPATHETIC. FEEL VINDICATED. NOW APPLAUDE, MINIONS! It’s not that kind of story. Even if the situations encountered in here ar
Lisette Brodey
I love Christy Leigh Stewart’s work. Terminally Beautiful was everything I appreciate about this author’s uncanny and unique style. Unique is a word that is often overused, but not as it describes this author and her work.

Diana is a patient at rehab for ugly girls. Told in the first person, Diana’s thoughts are as edgy and twisty as the concept of this book itself. Stewart’s prose is often a combination of dark reality, science fiction, and a brilliantly fertile imagination. The author takes her
Megan Hansen
Very, very funny book! The characters were amazing and immediately relatable. I love Stewart’s writing style, so full wit and sarcasm, yet she can still pull off those really sad or horrifying moments. This book will crawl into your brain and make you think, make you laugh and make you cringe, it’s wonderful!
Stephanie
I read the book today, the same day I received it in the mail! Diana is a very ugly girl, she really just wants someone to care about her. She is in a facility and makes a trans-gender friend and loses another friend to suicide. She decides she hated the girl who killed herself anyway and then finally stands up and has enough. Her and her trans gender friend leave the facility together and then roofie a guy Diana used to check out on a regular basis at a gas station, however instead of taking ad ...more
Amber
When I finished reading Terminally Beautiful I was speechless. Then as I tried to think of something to say my mind fired off: Mindfuck. Disturbing. Bizarre. Oddly touching and sincere.

The characters in Terminally Beautiful are like living embodiments of deep-seated insecurities, neuroses, and psychoses (that most people have to some extent, but try to bury and/or ignore) magnified to the extreme and laid bare for all to see.

As always, the wit and dark humor often associated with Christy's wr
Andrew Turman
As a journalist and advocate for people with serious mental heath issues, I do a lot of research. Okay, I confess. I have a serious mental illness myself: bipolar disorder. In twenty five years I have been hospitalized over 50 times, have had 45 electroshock treatments, seen hundreds of so-called mental health professionals, and have taken various psychopharmachological cocktails, all to no avail. I am what they call "treatment resistant." I have been bound in leather restraints, forced to take ...more
Kate
I really like Christy Leigh Stewart's writing and this was no exception to the rule, since it was a very enjoyable and interesting read that moves at break neck speed, careening you off the cliff of comfortability when you least expect it.

My only comment is that I want more!
BeyondTheWall
rarely do you come acrossed a book that says so much with so few words. this author should have more readers!
Natalie
I thought the idea behind this novella was promising. Having a rehab for someone who is ugly seems like a good setup for a dystopian novel. However, I don't think that was the intent in this storyline. The world the characters inhabit is dysfuctional, but not unrealistic. Perhaps that was the most frightening part. Some of the scenes within the facility were extremely disturbing and could fall under the dystopian view, but it just wasn't consistent enough. I do think that Anna's character was fa ...more
Ray
A very interesting book from a very good writer. Realistic, dark, funny. An enjoyable work from a writer who I discovered by reading her short stories, which I highly suggest.
David Santos
Its one of those books where you spend more time trying to figure out what you just read than it took to read it. I don't get the cover or the title for that matter. Description, although not actually describing the book, made me curious. I figured the book would be about a woman going through life being ugly and showing us what she deals with. Nope, shes in a looney bin (sorry can't spell the professional word for it) and she tells us her day. Not too exciting. Some funny things here and there ...more
Carolyn
I am a sucker for a cryptic synopsis, so I had to pick this up. It's an interesting novella, which reminds me of a mix between The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and Scott Westerfeld's Uglies.
Vallyn
The cover is what attracted me to this book. I just didn't understand it. The small back info on the book didn't tell me what the book was about at all. It was a fast read. I didn't really like it but I also didn't really not like it. There is really no plot and I didn't get to know enough about the characters to feel attached to them like I want to when I read a book. I don't know maybe I didn't understand the book, I just felt like it wasn't a complete book to me.

~FTC Disclaimer: I received a
Amanda Chalifoux
Sounds like a good book. I def. know how that feels not to feel beautiful in your own skin. I've been overweight since sophmore yr of high school and people would tell me I'm beautiful in my family. But outside that I would get teased by classmates and just people my own age in general. It really doesn't feel pretty & I can see where the character would want to get plastic surgery but everyone is beautiful in there own way.. Took me a long time to figure that out. I'm still not comfortable w ...more
Ray
Aug 22, 2014 Ray rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
I can't do this book any justice by trying to review it but read it. You will never forget it!!!
Brandan
I really enjoyed the premise and it was a thought-provoking read. My only critique would be that with this concept and these characters, I wished it was longer and we got to see the characters develop more...though I think this reflection is symbolic to the book, that I'm not satisfied enough with the material I was given. What a vain and selfish reader I must be, wanting to change things to fit my image of beauty. Check me into rehab!? As a perfectionist, I may never check out.
Clare Lune
I devoured this in less than an hour. I especially loved how the characters were totally unconventional and raw. This book has slices of dark humor, is strangely sad and will make you think.
Rodney
I really enjoyed reading this. It is unique in many ways, all of them adding to the appeal for me. The writing style was refreshing. It was powerful in the way it made me think and feel, enough for me to re-examine my own ideas or perceptions at certain points. It is written in a way that makes it hard for the reader not to become the main character. All of this is done in a way that is genuine, and never preachy. Well done.
Debbie Debs
Really did not like this book. The fact that it only has 74 pages, and the don't is fairly big, already disappointed me. The story itself doesn't seem such a bad idea, but is not told very well. It doesn't go into enough detail and I was not able to really get to know the character. I ready it in an hour, and just wanted to get it over and done with. :(
Anthony O'Connor
What do I think? I don't know what to think. I am trying to get some understanding of these issues.
The author's style is very direct, very honest. I love her writing. I hope she writes a lot more.
Did I get some insight? I don't know. It's all very hard.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Hevel Cava
Hevel Cava marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ellena Navarro
Ellena Navarro marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Nicole Lopez
Nicole Lopez marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
  • Trapped Nerves
  • The Flawless Skin of Ugly People
  • Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
  • Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls
  • Molly Hacker Is Too Picky!
  • Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
  • Bleacke's Geek (Bleacke Shifters #1)
  • The Cutting Edge
  • Rotten Little Animals
Loath Letters Familiar Scars Satan Is The New Cupid Accessible Love Stories Satanic Bedtime Stories