Start by marking “The Night Before Preschool” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Preschool

The Night Before Preschool

Published May 12th 2011 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before Preschool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before Preschool

Robert
Sep 05, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, rhyme, school, 2-0, fritz, own
My wife teaches preschool. She picked this book up this summer in preparation for the new year. Well, that is now here. Tonight I read this to my son. He is in preschool so it should have been right up his alley. Of course, he was so geared up at bedtime, he didn't listen attentively. Rather, he conversed with his buddies (aka stuffed animals and characters). But the thing is, he would tell them things he was hearing from the story. I guess he was picking it up even if he wasn't snuggled in my a ...more
Angie
Apr 30, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "It's the night before preschool, and a little boy named Billy is so nervous he can't fall asleep. The friends he makes the next day at school give him a reason not to sleep the next night, either: he's too excited about going back! The book's simple rhyming text and sweet illustrations will soothe any child's fears about the first day of school."

My Review: I got this book for Munchkin since he will be going to a new daycare/preschool soon. I was hoping that this would help ease into t
Sharon
Oct 01, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The story is set to the rhythm of "'Twas the night before Christmas", so it felt familiar to my children, even though we'd never read it before. I liked that Billy is a little shy and hides behind his mom at drop off and stays quietly in the corner during the first part of the story. He forgets to bring his teddy bear for nap time, so he cries and can't go to sleep. Another child loans him her bunny, so he can take a nap. By the end, he is excited to come back the next day.

It was a nice way to t
Kristin
Oct 28, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
The genre of this book is contemporary realistic fiction, and is intended for children (N) who are just getting ready to start preschool. This is a great bed time story for you to read to your child right before their first day of preschool! They are sure to love it, and it will help them to relax before their first big day! The pictures are sure to catch the attention of children. They will probably point out different activities that they will do at preschool when looking through the book. I l ...more
Heather
May 14, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Billy's big day is coming up and he feels a little nervous, even with Jerome the bear at his side. When his big day arrives, Billy is timid and shies away from participating in any of the activities. Then at nap time, true tragedy is discovered - he has forgotten Jerome. But a kind friend shares her snuggle animal, and Billy realizes that maybe preschool isn't so bad!

This story is told in rhyme based on the text from The Night Before ChristmasThe Night Before Christmas. A comforting tale for stu
Kristi Mellott
Aug 26, 2014 Kristi Mellott rated it really liked it
The night before preschool can be scary for anyone, and this book can help with any fears! Billy is about to start preschool and is scared of what to expect. He is very quiet and shy when school first begins, but later becomes familiar and comfortable with everyone and everything in his classroom. This book is great for any small children, because it can give them a better understanding of what to expect on their own first day of school. The rhyming words in this book keeps the attention of litt ...more
Ashley
Apr 18, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
My fiance had court today and there was a free day care on the second level of the court house where I dropped off my almost 3 year old daughter because she wouldn't sit still, stop crying or play with the toys I brought. When I went to pick her up after my fiance was done they gave her two books usually they give only one they said but she was the only child and was very good so each teacher gave her one. This book was one of the two. I really enjoyed reading it with her. She didn't cry when I ...more
Christine Turner
Aug 27, 2015 Christine Turner rated it liked it
Shelves: school, bibliotherapy

Subject:
First day of school -- Juvenile fiction
Nursery schools -- Juvenile fiction.
Stories in rhyme
Picture books for children
Feb 07, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, kidlit
This delightful rhyming picture book is reminiscent of the night before Christmas. It shows the kids and parents getting ready for preschool. Most of the kids are ready and happy to go except one little boy how is nervous and doesn't want to join in.

A nap time disaster is avoided when one of the little girls in the class shares with him and makes him feel better. They become friends before the end of the book.
Naomi
Jun 01, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it
In the format of The Night Before Christmas, a cute read to get kids psyched for the first day of school. I loved the excitement that it built. I don't know if the kid not being thrilled with being there added anything to the story, with the exception of the sharing. It felt almost as a distraction to me and could cause some anxiety in kids who have it read to them. I'd still read it to my grandmunchkins though and just process through any anxiety that they might be having.
Caitrin
This is a cute rhyming book to use to discuss everyone's feelings about the first day of school. It tells us the story of how everyone prepares for the first day of school and gets a good night's sleep except for this one little boy who spends his night worrying. It could be used to promt the students for a writing activity on how they felt about the first day of school.
Taylor Brady
This book is about a little boys first day of preschool set to the rhythm of "'Twas the night before Christmas." It is a sweet book that goes through the little boys daily activities as he has difficulty adjusting to the preschool environment. By the end of the book he is comfortable and begins to make friends. It ends with him excited for returning the next day
Mary
This is a clever book for preschool children because it is written in the style of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" but it focuses on Preschool. Not only that, but it revolves around a little boy who is nervous about his first day and takes a while to warm up to the idea of preschool. A great teaching tool for kids who are going to preschool for the first time.
Helen Cox
Sep 02, 2015 Helen Cox rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beginning-books
In the format of the Night Before Christmas this book is perfect for children getting ready for their first day of preschool! Billly feels scared the night before and at school but as the day goes on he finds out just how fun school is. With this book you could talk about some of the things children are afraid of the night before school.
Missy Kirtley
A play on "The Night Before Christmas," this book was entertaining with cute pictures and a good message. I think it helped my daughter to read it before she went off to her first day of Montessori Preschool.
K
Jan 29, 2014 K rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful read to help calm the nerves of anxious new preschoolers. I would love to use this either on the first day or during the first week of preschool class to help the children feel welcomed and excited about the new year.
Robin Raines-Bond
Aug 31, 2015 Robin Raines-Bond rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming story that is great for Kids nervous about the first day of school.
xoxoM
Aug 31, 2015 xoxoM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book!!!!!

Preschooler loves it.... Very good book. Pictures and everything is perfect
Everything you and preschooler may expect in preschool..... Thx
Jessica Wirth
Jul 29, 2012 Jessica Wirth rated it it was amazing
Love this series of books! Nice reading rhythm, pleasing rhymes, endearing illustrations... can't wait to collect the rest!
Angela
Dec 07, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
We enjoyed reading the night before preshool this past summer to prepare for 3k, very cute story about how much fun school is!
Latisha
Apr 28, 2016 Latisha added it
Shelves: primary-books
This book is great for children preparing to go to preschool. It is about a little boy who is anxious about preschool. He ends up going and at the end of the day he wants to go back!
Annabel Rodriguez
Aug 28, 2016 Annabel Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Alice
Sep 01, 2016 Alice rated it really liked it
I fun entertaining back to school book! I also like that the preschool teachers is a man! YEAH Justin!
Jenny Wright
Dec 03, 2012 Jenny Wright rated it it was amazing
Poetic rhymes simulating the Night Before Christmas. Excellent book and an excellent series!! There is a "night before" almost every holiday and occasion.
PWRL
Sep 14, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2016
Orsayor
Orsayor rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Yessenia Marquez
Yessenia Marquez rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Berenstain Bears Go Out to Eat
  • Hello, Biscuit!
  • Kindergarten Rocks!
  • D.W.'s Guide to Preschool
  • Mouse's First Day of School
  • I Know an Old Teacher
  • Thomas' ABC Book (Thomas & Friends)
  • I'm a Little Teapot
  • Pinkalicious: School Rules!
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • It's Thanksgiving
  • Franklin Is Messy
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Clap Your Hands
  • Llama Llama and the Bully Goat
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
  • Manana, Iguana
Why am I a writer? When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I’d line up my stuffed animals in front of a board and teach them the alphabet and how to count. In high school I wanted to be a tennis player. I was on the tennis team, and played at our neighborhood tennis club. Then in college I thought digging dinosaur bones would be a cool job. It wasn’t until I was working at my own public ...more
More about Natasha Wing...