The World of Christopher Robin: The Complete When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six (The Winnie-the-Pooh Series #3 & 4)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  594 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The world of Christopher Robin is a world of childhood-gay, rollicking, imaginative-a world of reality and enchanting make-believe.

It is a world in which Christopher Robin and Alice watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, and where James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree takes great care of his Mother, though he is only three. In this timeless

Published October 14th 2010 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 1958)

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Best children's books EVER
187th out of 918 books — 1,102 voters
The Castle of Adventure by Enid BlytonFirst Term at Malory Towers by Enid BlytonThe Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook by Joyce Lankester BrisleyThe World of Christopher Robin by A.A. MilnePlease Mrs Butler by Allan Ahlberg
When We Were Young
4th out of 6 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Bev Hankins
The World of Christopher Robin contains both When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six--two works of poetry for the young which I read in separate editions when I was a small person. When I became a grownup with my own small person, I got this delightfully illustrated ("with new illustrations in full color") to share with my son. He wasn't quite as interested in the poems as he was in the Winnie-the-Pooh stories. I couldn't really blame him. I seem to remember being a bit disappointed that ther...more
Aaron
I have this edition according to the ISBN (and cover art), however mine is a hardcover. A handwritten note inside indicates it was given to me in 1987 when I was 8.

This is probably the first book on philosophy I owned. I routinely brought this with me to my college US politics course; I believed it to be superior to the course textbook, and still do.

What have I learned from this book? That not only children are right to be curious, and trusting, and afraid, and imaginative, and disobediant. And...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Taking sometime this summer to go back and hit classics that I either didn't read or couldn't remember reading, I was excited to pick this one up after a recommendation from a friend. While I ordinarily wouldn't have chosen poetry for myself, I found myself utter charmed by the innocent beauty of the verses within. The book did have a little bit of trouble keeping my attention through a long silent read, but poetry really shouldn't be read silently or all at once from begining to end. The verses...more
Liz
I have read this many times, and particularly enjoyed reading it when my sons were young. The poems delight the reader.
Allyson
I actually own these as two separate books, each one being a collection of verses. When I first read them, as a little girl, I was disappointed because they weren't stories about Winnie-the-Pooh. Once I understood that they weren't meant to be(!), I enjoyed reading the verses for A.A. Milne's simple and charming writing... and for the beginnings of a very special Bear.
Lindsey
I was reading this book to my daughter, and as I read I was reminded of my Grandma. Since most of you on my friends list are related to me...it just brought back neat memories of being at her house in New York and reading and coloring with her. I guess Winnie the Pooh will always be a little bit special.
Morgan
Jul 06, 2013 Morgan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Morgan by: Mom
As a whole this book is perfect for poetry lover and lovers of Pooh. I really find Milne's writing style cleaver and funny. One of the best children's authors. However, if you looking for a Pooh story this only has him in a few tales and it's mostly Christopher Robin and some other random characters.
Kyrie
It's a little sadder (to me) because Christopher Robin is growing up. That's not a bad thing. We all want our children to grow up, but it's still sad because well, it also means eventually he's going to outgrow his Hundred Acre Wood friends. Still, it's good.
Joanna
We loved these stories, my son and I, and he had an extensive set of stuffed friends for whom we had picnics. Bunny, Jordan's version of Winnie the Pooh Bear, was the guest of honor and we had more than one birthday party for him on the balcony!
Suzzanne
I loved this book when I was a kid and have a lot of the poems from it memorized. I am enjoying it all over again reading it with Korey and having him memorize.
Elaine Moore
This is probably one of my favorite books to read to kids from infancy to pre-school. Everytime it just as good and envokes such imagination and laughter.
Louise
"James James
Morrison Morrison
Weatherby George Dupree
Took great
Care of his Mother,
Though he was only three..."

Who doesn't love this stuff!!!
Nikki
Simple and sweet. And sometimes silly. I do like the illustrations. And oh, how proud I was when I was six and Mum gave me this book...!
Theatrevicki
This was my favorite book growing up. I have my dad's copy from when he was young, which was published in 1958.
Leslie
No childhood is complete without these stories. I'm so glad to have my original copy of this book from 1965...
Omri
I've never been so inlove with a children book as with this. It is simply sweet and funny and witty. Amazing.
Shoshana
Apr 26, 2008 Shoshana rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Poetry as fabulous as Pooh. Pinkle Purr, and Alexander Beetle, and King John, and...
Rosemary Daly
Lovely book of stories and rhymes for the very young (and young at heart!).
GV Fanfiction
Wonderful poohetry for those that like that a must read for any pooh bear fan
Caitie
Sep 30, 2010 Caitie added it
Nursery rhymes. They're lovely, but not as grand as Winnie the Pooh.
Jen
Ug, Finally! This book drove me nuts. So glad I finally finished!
Gabbie
Love this book! It's so cute!

Helen
May 02, 2009 Helen added it
Second most favourite ever!
Heather Smith
This is a sweet book.
Amy
Sep 26, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
This book is a collection of poems that capture the magic of simple childhood wonders. My favorite poem in this book is called forgiven and is about a beetle named alexander escaping his matchbox after nanny went looking for a match. Read this book for a good dose nostalgia or to read to little ones or just for fun.
Cws
Jen
Jen added it
Apr 10, 2014
Аntoniette
Аntoniette marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Pagoo
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem
  • The King of the Golden River
  • Abraham Lincoln's World
  • Among the Dolls
  • Six by Seuss
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.
A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac...more
More about A.A. Milne...
Winnie-the-Pooh The House at Pooh Corner The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh The World of Winnie-the-Pooh When We Were Very Young