Start by marking “The World of Christopher Robin: The Complete When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3-4)” as Want to Read:

The World of Christopher Robin: The Complete When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh #3-4)

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  947 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The world of Christopher Robin is a world of childhood-gay, rollicking, imaginative-a world of reality and enchanting make-believe.

It is a world in which Christopher Robin and Alice watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, and where James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree takes great care of his Mother, though he is only three. In this timeless

Published October 14th 2010 by Dutton Books for Young Readers (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Christopher Robin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Christopher Robin

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
197th out of 1,155 books — 1,481 voters
The Castle of Adventure by Enid BlytonFirst Term at Malory Towers by Enid BlytonThe Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook by Joyce Lankester BrisleyThe World of Christopher Robin by A.A. MilnePlease Mrs Butler by Allan Ahlberg
When We Were Young
4th out of 6 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Kellen O'grady
Feb 17, 2016 Kellen O'grady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because of these poems, I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
Bev
Jul 28, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The World of Christopher Robin contains both When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six--two works of poetry for the young which I read in separate editions when I was a small person. When I became a grownup with my own small person, I got this delightfully illustrated ("with new illustrations in full color") to share with my son. He wasn't quite as interested in the poems as he was in the Winnie-the-Pooh stories. I couldn't really blame him. I seem to remember being a bit disappointed that ther ...more
Aaron
Jul 07, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this edition according to the ISBN (and cover art), however mine is a hardcover. A handwritten note inside indicates it was given to me in 1987 when I was 8.

This is probably the first book on philosophy I owned. I routinely brought this with me to my college US politics course; I believed it to be superior to the course textbook, and still do.

What have I learned from this book? That not only children are right to be curious, and trusting, and afraid, and imaginative, and disobediant. And
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Jul 07, 2010 Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
Taking sometime this summer to go back and hit classics that I either didn't read or couldn't remember reading, I was excited to pick this one up after a recommendation from a friend. While I ordinarily wouldn't have chosen poetry for myself, I found myself utter charmed by the innocent beauty of the verses within. The book did have a little bit of trouble keeping my attention through a long silent read, but poetry really shouldn't be read silently or all at once from begining to end. The verses ...more
Rachel Rogers
Jun 16, 2014 Rachel Rogers rated it really liked it
Very cute books of poetry, some lovely and lyrical, some rather odd. Wonderful imagery. Some relate back to Christopher Robin obviously (illustrations of Bear, Kanga, Eeyore, etc.) others are about growing up, imagining, learning, sleeping and other things children do. Read these to my daughter as she's struggling to fall asleep and they have become favorites.
Jacqueline Weishaar
Nov 11, 2015 Jacqueline Weishaar rated it it was amazing
This is hands down Elijah's favorite book at age 23 months. We read it cover to cover at least twice a day. The poems are both clever and endearing with charming illustrations accompanying each one. This should be in every child's library.
Oceana2602
Jun 19, 2008 Oceana2602 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Utterly adorable, no matter how old you are. Like the Winnie-the-Pooh books, Milne's poems speak directly to our hearts. Funny, sometimes silly, thoughtful, sad (I always feel a little pang when I realize that I will never be that child again), wonderful.

I really hope you have a child you can read these to, it will be worth it. But if you don't, read them out loud yourself. In the morning before breakfast, during the two phone conferences you are having instead of lunch, at night before you go t
Liz
Mar 31, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I have read this many times, and particularly enjoyed reading it when my sons were young. The poems delight the reader.
Gretchen
Aug 26, 2015 Gretchen rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, classics
Sweet, child-friendly poems. My kids loved all the ones that featured Pooh and Christopher Robin and seemed to enjoy the rest, at least to a certain extent. My goal was simply to expose them to the rhythm of poetic language, and I think this was a good place to start. The poetry is lighthearted, fun, and full of simple, swinging rhythm. Illustrations are delightful.
Jessica
Oct 15, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
I thought it was a cute book. I will definitely read this to my daughter. It was a quick and easy read of poems.
Karrie Stewart
Jan 16, 2016 Karrie Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such sweet children poems. I love the illustrations through out the book, especially non Disney Winne-the-Pooh.
Harry Burnside
A cute set of poems which have not dated, I suppose there are still those who have nannies to write about.
Morgan
Jul 11, 2015 Morgan rated it liked it
I liked most of the poems and I found a few to be quite odd.
Autumn
Aug 21, 2016 Autumn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Allyson
Jul 30, 2011 Allyson rated it really liked it
I actually own these as two separate books, each one being a collection of verses. When I first read them, as a little girl, I was disappointed because they weren't stories about Winnie-the-Pooh. Once I understood that they weren't meant to be(!), I enjoyed reading the verses for A.A. Milne's simple and charming writing... and for the beginnings of a very special Bear.
Lindsey
Dec 14, 2008 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
I was reading this book to my daughter, and as I read I was reminded of my Grandma. Since most of you on my friends list are related to me...it just brought back neat memories of being at her house in New York and reading and coloring with her. I guess Winnie the Pooh will always be a little bit special.
Morgan
Jul 06, 2013 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Morgan by: Mom
As a whole this book is perfect for poetry lover and lovers of Pooh. I really find Milne's writing style cleaver and funny. One of the best children's authors. However, if you looking for a Pooh story this only has him in a few tales and it's mostly Christopher Robin and some other random characters.
Kyrie
Apr 01, 2011 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
It's a little sadder (to me) because Christopher Robin is growing up. That's not a bad thing. We all want our children to grow up, but it's still sad because well, it also means eventually he's going to outgrow his Hundred Acre Wood friends. Still, it's good.
Joanna
Aug 31, 2012 Joanna rated it it was amazing
We loved these stories, my son and I, and he had an extensive set of stuffed friends for whom we had picnics. Bunny, Jordan's version of Winnie the Pooh Bear, was the guest of honor and we had more than one birthday party for him on the balcony!
Leslie
My boy and I rather enjoyed this one together. Some of the poems are simply cute, others are funny little things, and others more serious. At any rate, I will likely read it again to him.
Suzzanne
Dec 08, 2008 Suzzanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids, homeschool
I loved this book when I was a kid and have a lot of the poems from it memorized. I am enjoying it all over again reading it with Korey and having him memorize.
Elaine Moore
Jan 09, 2008 Elaine Moore rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of my favorite books to read to kids from infancy to pre-school. Everytime it just as good and envokes such imagination and laughter.
Louise
Nov 23, 2011 Louise rated it it was amazing
"James James
Morrison Morrison
Weatherby George Dupree
Took great
Care of his Mother,
Though he was only three..."

Who doesn't love this stuff!!!
Nell Mendez
Not a huge fan of poetry, but this was good. "King John's Christmas" is definitely a favorite, along with "Daffodownilly," and "The Island."
Nikki
Aug 10, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it
Simple and sweet. And sometimes silly. I do like the illustrations. And oh, how proud I was when I was six and Mum gave me this book...!
Theatrevicki
May 24, 2012 Theatrevicki rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book growing up. I have my dad's copy from when he was young, which was published in 1958.
Leslie
Dec 02, 2010 Leslie rated it it was amazing
No childhood is complete without these stories. I'm so glad to have my original copy of this book from 1965...
Omri
Apr 08, 2011 Omri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, children
I've never been so inlove with a children book as with this. It is simply sweet and funny and witty. Amazing.
Shoshana
Apr 26, 2008 Shoshana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Poetry as fabulous as Pooh. Pinkle Purr, and Alexander Beetle, and King John, and...
Stephanie
Feb 23, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: own, children
Cute, humorous poems often told from the point of view of a preschooler.
  • Giant Treasury of Peter Rabbit
  • Pagoo
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • Buffalo Bill
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • All This And Snoopy, Too (Peanuts Coronet, #11)
  • Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson
  • I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book
  • Poetry for Young People: Edgar Allan Poe
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales: Retold by Naomi Lewis
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: A Classic Disney Treasury
  • The Barbary Pirates
  • Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem
  • Double Trouble Squared
  • The Big Book for Peace
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...

Winnie-the-Pooh (5 books)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and the Royal Birthday