Start by marking “Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid?: What Drugs Did to My Family” as Want to Read:
Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid?: What Drugs Did to My Family

Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid?: What Drugs Did to My Family

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Teacher Elizabeth Burton-Phillips wasan ordinary middle-class mother who always tried to do the best for her children; she never imagined that her identical twin sons, who had been doing so well at school, would become involvedwith drugs. She was shocked when they were suspended from school for smoking cannabis; but this was just the start of a terrible, unimaginable journ ...more
Published May 17th 2007 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid?

Antony Simpson
Dec 23, 2015 Antony Simpson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From AntonySimpson.com:

Mum Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid? is the true story by Elizabeth Burton-Phillips of what drugs did to her family. The prologue described the knock at the door late one night, the police – one of her twin sons has died. Although this Prologue intended to encourage the reader to read on, I felt that it didn’t need it. I had already picked up the book because of the title and back cover.

The book starts off by describing the twins and their family. Average was the word that spr
BooksAndBooks
Jul 11, 2015 BooksAndBooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this book at a charity shop I found it very intriguing. I have always like to read books about people in dark places but coming out on the other end and getting their life back on track.

I didn't end up getting the book but a week later it was still at the charity shop and I decided to pick it up.

Never was I prepared for the tragic story of these twins. It was so heartbreaking and sad. I felt extremely sorry for their mother who did everything she could to save her two boys. She is tr
Drian Nash
Oct 11, 2011 Drian Nash rated it did not like it
Shelves: auto-biographies
What a horrible woman, I got this as it and the author were on some awful explotative morning tv program and my mum bought it for me since I had been known to take a fair few drugs in the past and I donno mabye she hoped this would warn me of the dangers or something.

I read most of it,what I could stomach anyway, and moral of the story Heroin is bad for you. Well blow me over with a feather, Lemmy told me that in his book and I was more enclined to belive him.

The mother seemed to be more intrest
Diane
Aug 08, 2015 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half way through the book, I was thinking to myself...what a terrible life it must be to be a heroin addict. I thought to myself...I would have to kill myself. I can really understand why Nick did it and I'm surprised that more addicts don't do the same! Rest in peace Nick, you deserve a long peaceful rest after the years of suffering you went through. Good luck with your future Simon x
Nellie Williams
It's all very well to say "oh you must read this book" about some books, but this is one book I'd suggest you read. An honest account of a mother struggling to cope with her sons' addictions. This is Elzabeth's story and it will make you sit up and think, it made me cry my eyes out in places, angered me in others but above all it made me think of those families whose lives have been blighted by addictions. I hope that in reading the book you will understand more about how an addiction can affect ...more
Laura Holmes
Jan 03, 2016 Laura Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
powerful, heartbreaking - a book everybody should read from 14 to 100
Diane
Aug 02, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A shocking account of how drugs ruin not only the life of the user but the family also,Elizabeth (the mother) did as most loving mums would in that situation,providing both emotional & financial support when her sons tried to quit their habit...but is that what she should have done? and would you have the courage not to and turn your back on your own child?
Linda
Aug 28, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book will stick in my mind for quite a while, what this poor family had to go through was horrendous it really draws you in and feel their every disappontment. It must have been heartbreaking writing this story and reliving the memories so that others can read and learn from this book. A very brave lady. A book certainly to be recommended.
Aleesha
Nov 19, 2010 Aleesha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-life
This is like the best non-fiction real life story, it's so moving and emotional, about twins who took drugs and how one died to make the other a lone twin, this is the story telling us how it happened. The photo's that were shown in the book were a good idea, this book was very good.
Apr 14, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest, true life story that sticks with you and makes you question and wonder. I ended up redwing this because it was recommended to me by my boyfriend (who is a twin) so I felt a particular empathy for the story too. Well worth a read.
Aug 09, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving and heart wrenching book about a families struggle with drug abuse - a true testiment to a mother's love - must read!
Leanne Keenoo
May 02, 2013 Leanne Keenoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening account of a young mans struggle with drug addiction told by his mother
Louise Shore
Aug 21, 2012 Louise Shore rated it really liked it
Honest, heartbreakingly so, a book every parent should read.
Pam O'brien
Pam O'brien marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
stormy
stormy marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
One
One rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Hazel Griffin
Hazel Griffin rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Lucinda
Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
stychcbgb
stychcbgb rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
Gabriela
Gabriela rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Filip Novák
Filip Novák rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Toos Met Boxer Kiara
Toos Met Boxer Kiara marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Mrs. S. J. Boniface
Mrs. S. J. Boniface marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
S Hasler
S Hasler rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
  • De leesclub
  • De verborgen geschiedenis van Courtillon
  • Catch Me Before I Fall
  • Soldier of Orange
  • Will Mummy Be Coming Back For Me?
  • Daddy's Girl
  • Wayne: An Abused Child's Story of Courage, Survival, and Hope
  • Point Last Seen: A Woman Tracker's Story
  • De avondboot
  • Heart of Fire: One Girl's Extraordinary Journey from Child Soldier to Soul Singer
  • De co-assistent