How to Talk to an Autistic Kid

How to Talk to an Autistic Kid

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Kids with autism have a hard time communicating, which can be frustrating for autistic kids and for their peers. In this intimate yet practical book, author Daniel Stefanski, a fourteen-year-old boy with autism, helps readers understand why autistic kids act the way they do and offers specific suggestions on how to get along with them.

While many "typical" kids know someone...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Talk to an Autistic Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Talk to an Autistic Kid

Anne
I picked this up for my younger son (he's 9) to read, because I thought it might help him understand his older brother a little better.

See, my oldest son (he's 12) was diagnosed with PDDNOS when he was 6. That means he's on the autism spectrum, but it's not as noticeable as it is with some kids. Basically, he just gets pegged as a weirdo. A lot.
Why?
Because he does weird stuff, of course!
Or at least, that's what my 9 year old thinks.

This book was written by a 14 year old autistic boy, named Dani...more
G
As a stepmother to a son with Asperger's Syndrome, I was crying like a baby by page 2 of this book. Daniel Stefanski wrote this book while in the 8th grade, and his attempt to educate both children and adults about Autism is remarkable. I love how he asks readers to step up and be heroes, by telling them they should stick up for Autistic children if they see them bullied. He asks that we notice these children who are sitting by themselves, in their own worlds, and talk to them, as they might be...more
Elise (Bookish Delights)
How To Talk To An Autistic Kid is a very endearing picture book with wonderful suggestions on how to speak and interact with an autistic kid in a more respectful and kind manner. The book highlights the importance of really accepting and treating autistic kids just like any other kid, because even though they are different in some ways, they are very similar in other ways. It also teaches kids to not be afraid of befriending an autistic kid. Written by a 14-year-old autistic kid himself, this bo...more
Cristina
How To talk to an Autistic Kid is an awesome book. It is written by 14 year old Daniel Stefanski, who is on the spectrum. He has done a remarkable job educating both his peers and adults. It is a short book, some may call it a picture book for the middle school age. I think we can all learn from it. I am raising an autistic child. It is not easy watching him struggle to have conversations with other who do not understand. I would like to ask every teacher out there to get this book and find a wa...more
Tiffanie-ann Bucheit
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. It is written through the eyes of 14 year old Daniel Stefanski who has autism. He wrote the book because he wanted to end some of the loneliness that children with autism go through on a day to day basis. He gives pointers on how to talk to kids with autism. He gives examples of some things that kids with autism don’t pick up on, like sarcasm and body language. He tells the readers ways that you could prompt a kid with autism if they aren’t fo...more
Michelle
This is a great book. Middle-schooler Daniel Stefanski, who describes himself as "autistic and artistic" has done a terrific job of dissecting a complicated disorder and helping other young people understand how to relate to and befriend someone with autism. This is a fantastic resource for anyone who has a family member or friend with autism to share with the children (and even the other adults!) in their lives.
Susan
Simple put...this is one of the best books I've found so far in helping kids better understand what it's like to have autism.
Michelle
This book is an outstanding mix of factual information and personal experience. Author, 14 year old Daniel Stefanski, does an excellent job of sharing his perspective, and explaining commonalities and differences among students with and without autism, in a very unassuming way. The book explains the background and reasons behind some of the behaviors one might see in a child with autism. It also explains some social nuances that are difficult for children with autism to interpret and manage, and...more
Dana Snyder
This book is a guide to help children know how to talk with children with autism. The book helps to explain what is going on in the minds of people with autism , so that other people can get to know them. Just because they are different, doesn't mean that they don't long for friendship like all humans. This book not only helps children and adults to talk to autistic children but it also helps people to understand children with autism and how to befriend them. The author himself has autism and he...more
Renato Rodriguez
This cute little book took me 10 minutes to read. I borrowed it from the library as an ebook expecting something a little more extensive.
I was unaware the author is a 14 year old autistic boy, but i was pleased i read it.
As the parent of a 4 year old with some touches of autism, i wanted to learn more about the subject and while this is not the book for that, i think it is a good tool to use when talking to children about the subject.
Reader
How to Talk to an Autistic Kid is a great resource for kids, teachers and parents! Author Daniel Stefanski is a real kid with autism, and he offers an easy to understand look into what makes autistic kids different (and the same!) as other kids. This book really does a great job at teaching acceptance and kindness by showing that more than anything, autistic kids just want to be treated like anyone else. Several short chapters talk about some of the differences you might notice when talking to c...more
Sabrina Davidson-ratcliffe
This should be required reading in middle school for kids. Actually for all ages. Great read!
Harla
Quick read and very informative. Highly recommend!
Jamiesmilz
I think this should be required reading for middle primary grades. 3/4 grade reading level, and written by a kid on the spectrum. There is a marked disdain for *different* that begins at that age level, and with so many more kids on the spectrum these days, might increase tolerance. It's too easy to assume that, because they struggle with social aspects, that they don't WANT friends. This young man explains that it is not that way at all, and gives great suggestions for *typical* kids on how to...more
Scottsdale Public Library
Written by Daniel Stefanski, a real 14-year-old boy with autism, this book is a must read for both children and adults. Daniel breaks down some of the similarities and differences between autistic and non-autistic people's thoughts, emotions, and behaviors and also shares tips for win-win interactions. The golden rule at its finest - this book should be required reading for all!

-Lindsey D.-

Peggy Archer
At the time this book was published, author Daniel Stefanski was a 14-year old middle grade student. Having been diagnosed with autism about three years earlier, Daniel gives the inside scoop on what goes on inside the head of an autistic kid and offers humorous advice on how to be a friend to those with autism. Written in a very direct and straightforward manner, HOW TO TALK TO AN AUTISTIC KID will help readers of all ages to understand and talk to people with autism.

Stacy
Written by a 14 year old autistic (and artistic!) boy this book for kids is perfect for classrooms. Covers the basics in a simple way and yet addresses the characteristics that many kids on the spectrum share, not an easy task.
This might also be something that a parent could share with family members even the older ones. It's a 20 minute primer for those that won't take the time to read the bigger books.
Tricia
14-year old Daniel Stefanski explains well how to communicate with someone with autism, through the voice of someone with ASD. The text is well-organized and the cartoon-like pictures nicely accent the material. His voice is honest and clear. Good title for someone who has met a person with autism for the first time and has worries about how they should relate to their new friend.
Ms. Yingling
This was a very short picture book. The teacher who works with our autism unit took some exception to the phrase "autistic kid" instead of "kid with autism", but said that since the author labeled himself that way, she shouldn't complain. The advice in this is good, but I need something a bit longer and with fewer pictures for middle school.
Beth
This book is a great resource for younger kids - and even adults - for how to interact with autistic kids. Given that it's written by an autistic kid, that definitely gives the book an authentic feel to it. I'm sure he had help from adults, but the fact that it was written from the perspective of a kid certainly gives it a more real quality.
Daniel
grade:5
topic:autism

this is a great book for teacher who has autism kid in the classroom!
this book positively describes what autism really is and how to deal with autistic kids.
this book is written by autistic kid.
He said
"im autistic and artistic!"
it gives different types of examples of autism and why they act in such way!

Lady Lioness
I am writing this on my phone so apologies for any typos. I'd rec this for elementary school kids, both with and without autism. This book would be an excellent jumping off point to discuss autism and social mores. A kid who takes this book to heart is someone who's unlikely to be a future bully.
B
I enjoyed reading Daniel's description of what life is like for him and appreciate his suggestions how to treat him and other autistic children. The illustrations are cartoony lame. It's too bad the publisher didn't match better illustrations or photography with the great text.
Karen Pajot
A 14-year-old boy describes what it is like to have autism and guides his readers to understand how to talk to kids with autism. I would use this book if I had a kid with autism in my class and a student was interested in being friends, but did not know how to interact with him.
Lisa
How to talk to an Autistic Kid combines a first person account of what it's like to be autistic with a how-to guide for how a kid with autism would like to be create. It provides a lot of good information and should be a part of every elementary library.
Christina G
Another book I would have kids read if I were an educator. The 14-y/o author (who is autistic himself) explains how he experiences autism, and how he wants people to interact with him. I wish I'd read something like this earlier in my life.
Carey Hanson