Start by marking “Witch Song (Witch Song, #1)” as Want to Read:
Witch Song (Witch Song, #1)

Witch Song (Witch Song #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  3,229 ratings  ·  524 reviews
Brusenna is the last.

All the other witches have been captured, their songs stolen and twisted from harmony and growth into chaos and death. She alone must stand against an evil much older and darker than anything she could ever imagine—an evil every witch before her has failed to vanquish.

Brusenna must be the first.
Paperback, 2, 305 pages
Published September 1st 2011 by Starling Publishing (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Witch Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch Song

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
92nd out of 3,913 books — 8,261 voters
Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
52nd out of 708 books — 4,343 voters

More lists with this book...

Amber Argyle
Jan 01, 2015 Amber Argyle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I think it's fabulous. But I wrote it . . . ;)
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
“I’m small and plain.”
Desni shot her a look of disbelief. “You’re a beautiful girl, Senna. More so because of how rare your features are. Those golden eyes—”
“But when compared to someone like Ciara—”
“You compare diamonds to rubies. Rubies may be a bit more flashy, but diamonds are made of tougher stuff and are more rare.”
Yeah, it's that type of book, y'all.

Allow me share with you a stanza from one of my favorite songs:
Well let me tell you 'bout the way she looked
The way she'd act and the colo
Cait
Okay, so first things first. I have to share a grievance that I experienced; just to get this all off of my chest: I had already written quite a long review for this book and for two others, as well.

Now, my dear Goodreaders; for the sake of my anguish over all of this I'm going to assume that all of you are wondering, "well what happened then, Cait?"

Well, my friends, my computer decided to be a prick and randomly turned off in the middle of finishing typing up my last review, so if you still a
Levina  C.
May 08, 2013 Levina C. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hedge monsters
Imagine you're on an obstacle course. You brave snakes, quicksand, cliffs, zombies, mermaids, sea monsters, and poisonous plants; the king's soldiers, archers, secretaries, horses, and palace mice; foreign Customer Service helpline assistants; a hurricane, and, finally, Godzilla and his lawyer in court.

You're at the end of the obstacle course, and you're waiting for the double whammy to arrive. After all, throughout your journey you suffered and nearly died countless times, so you expect nothing
Kristi-The Book Faery
THE FAERYS VIEW

Amber Argyle has written a novel, Witch Song that had me so thoroughly engrossed that my own world almost ceased to exist. The only world I cared about was that which she so artfully created and crafted in Witch Song! Ms. Argyle’s story of a young witch’s journey through dangerous lands during even more dangerous times held me utterly mesmerized. Witch Song was Bewitchingly Beautiful and the tempo of the story sang to me long after I had finished it.

The story of Senna (Brusenna)
Eric
Here is a story about a book that stood out at work and I said to myself, "self you should read this book" then I came home to add it to GR and it appears I'd already had said conversation with myself weeks before already appearing in my to-read. Since the ground work was already laid out I went and purchased and started reading it immediately. I think the best parts of the book are how natural it feels. Honestly I could've sworn I heard the music playing in my head as I read the pages of this b ...more
Ashley Knight
It is rare to find books that immediately sweep you into their world, plunging you head first through a tale filled with intensity so real you can feel it. These are the books I crave - the stories I seek & find once in a blue moon; such is Witch Song.

Ms. Argyle's work is vivid, gripping, elegantly written & fills it's reader with a yearning for more. Superbly original, it was such a breath of fresh air to the fantasy genre, I've not read anything quite like it before - this book stands
Evie
Sep 10, 2011 Evie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
Here’s the short version: if you haven’t picked up this book yet, you should do it ASAP.

And now, the long version: Witch Song is simply beautiful. In this riveting debut novel about witches, magic, love, good and evil, Amber Argyle combines superb writing and incredible world-building and character development with a storyline that’s both fast-paced and smooth at the same time. It’s a page-turner. One that you will definitely want to re-read once you’re done. It’s one of those books that really
Hillary Hunt
These witches can control nature, which is cool and to be expected with a witchy/pagan tale. But it's how they do it that wasn't my fav. They sing and throw seeds. Every spell requires they sing a cutesy little rhyme, and they have to be pitch perfect. When Brusenna is "sing fighting" at her enemies, it seems so hokey, I cringed every time.

My main problem with this book was the villains were shallow. Too many punches were pulled. And the romance was juvenile, which would've been okay, had it no
J.J.
In this smart debut novel, a young witch discovers who she is and what she's made of. Witch song is a fun quest by land and sea, and also a journey of the heart. A girl who grew up as an outcast discovers she is a powerful witch and a leader--and takes on the task of freeing her fellow witches to bring peace to a ravaged world. Senna's power comes from her voice---but she learns it also comes from within. I'm recommending this book to both my daughters!
Circe
Este libro contiene más palabras de las que puedo decir.

Espen, la Bruja Oscura ha capturado a todas las brujas que existen, también a la madre de Brusenna, Sacra, Brusenna es la última bruja que queda y tiene que enfrentar a Espen para liberar a las otras brujas y al mundo de sus cantos.

Este libro lo voy a describir así:
description

No tengo palabras para este libro, fue increíble, emocionante, inquietante, sensacional... todo. Realmente deseo leer el segundo libro para ver qué me espera.

Desde el primer capí
Liv Chanin
This book, while a refreshing change from the angst-ridden, supernatural romance that floods the YA market, does not completely live up to the gorgeous cover or the synopsis. I was very excited when I picked up this book because it is a "real" fantasy. No sexy vampires or brooding fallen angels here. The premise of the book is very interesting. Halfway into the book, however, I was left wanting more. More character development. More description. More feeling. A subplot or two. The writing style ...more
Katy
Jun 01, 2011 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, esp. young adult fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: Rhemala Pub.
In a scintillating debut, Amber Argyle creates an impressively detailed world for her characters to live in. As impressive as this debut is, I’m sure we have years of wonderful stories to look forward to from this writer.

Brusenna (also called Senna in the story) and her mother Sacra are Witches (or, as they prefer to be called, Keepers). They control their powers through song. In their small town of Gonstower, they are feared and reviled, especially so since a three-year drought has left many vi
chucklesthescot
*I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Senna is an untrained witch who is the last hope for the survival of her kind. On a quest to rescue her mother who is a captive of the Dark Witch, Senna and her allies must uncover her powers and find a way to defeat Espen and save the trapped witches.

This is not my usual type of book. I don't usually read this kind of historical fiction but the paranormal element made me decide to try it and I'm glad that I di
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Brusenna has always been hidden away by her mother, but when she and the rest of the haven witches are taken captive by the dark witch Espen, Brusenna is the last witch left, so with the help of her guardian Joshen and her dog Bruke, she must find a way to do what no other witch has done before and defeat the dark witch.

Witch Song is a really brilliant and charming story with true love, adventure and magic it is a g
Ashley
Originally reviewed on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.

Witch Song by Amber Argyle is a book that I was really excited to read. Like, really excited for. I noticed the cover on Goodreads and thought it looked gorgeous and then (as I've mentioned a time or 12 before) I met Amber at a book signing in Utah, pretty much on accident. And she was awesome in person. Like, a lot awesome. So, when I got a review copy of this in the mail, I did a little happy dance.

And, while I did like the
Chamonix
The writing was GODAWFUL. How Argyle got this published with such a delicious cover is beyond me.

Not only is the main character unimaginably awful, un-mature and inept at being a heroine but Argyle writes this book the way a lame, three-legged gazelle tries to leap. It gallops three steps then faceplants. Brusenna slept then woke up the next day. She had lots of vegetables to pickle and cure for the winter. She sobbed pitifully as she brought in balefuls of crops. The dog barked. "Hush," She tol
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

This book was really, really good. It has a bit of a different take on witches, they sing songs to do what they need. I really enjoyed the fantasy setting it was in. Senna was a great character, she was so naive in the beginning, but became so strong and determined when she needed to.

I look forward to the next book in this series, I am attached to these characters already, and need to see where it's going to go.

I highly recommend this book. If you like fantasy and paranormal with witches then th
JeanBookNerd
Amber Argyle’s debut novel, Witch Song, is an interesting look into the secret world of witches. Spells, magic, and hexes are all here. The world that Argyle created for these remarkable witches are so vivid and darkly beautiful. Filled with characters that are likable, it’s a formula that will surely hook readers from the first page.

The writing style that Argyle presents in this novel is simply stunning. Whether it is people, events or the setting, she does not leave out any description. The st
Krystal
First off, let me tell you I received a copy from Amber Argyle as a giveaway and I was so happy!!! I loved this book and now I'll tell you why you will to.

Brusenna isn't the most well-liked girl in the village. In fact, everyone appears spiteful and afraid of her. Brusenna is a witch, more specifically, a very powerful witch who doesn't know the depth of her own powers yet. She meets one of the only other remaining witches in town and finds out that many witches are being held in chains and tha
Misty
2.5

When I read the first page of this, I got kind of excited. The MC, Brusenna, is simply trying to buy something from the village market and is being harassed by a vendor without having actually done anything. I love a good outsider/underdog story, and the initial setup gave me flashbacks to Plain Kate, which I loved. I had high hopes. And though that Otherness, that outsider-ness is a part of the story, it turned out to be a sort of minimal part of the story. Which is fine: it's not the story'
Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club)
What an amazing original story. I loved it. I read the book in one sitting. We are taken on a magical journey through a tough world. Senna started off a weak and scared girl, but ended up growing into one bad ass women in the end.

Witch Song is a crazy original book about witches ,never before have I read a book about witches like this one. The journey Senna goes on is not easy even for the most experienced witch and yet a girl who everyone considers weak and untrained sets out to save all the w
Tifferz
I was taken in by the blurb from the cover. I could not wait to read this story. Let me tell you this story does not disappoint. You get it all adventure filled with magic, danger, good vs evil and lots of unexpected twist and turns. I read this enchanting tale in one sitting I could not put it down. I will be reading this story again and my 11 year old will be reading it and loving it. I hope that Amber has plans to have a book two because I did not want to see this story come to an end. I need ...more
Céline Meg

J'étais très heureuse de trouver "Witch Song" dans ma boîte aux lettres. La couverture est magnifique, on ne se lasse pas de la regarder. J'espérais que le contenu serait à la hauteur mais malheureusement, je n'ai pas du tout accroché. Dès le début, je lui ai trouvé beaucoup de défauts et plus j'avançais, moins j'aimais ce roman. J'ai décidé d'abandonner à la moitié puisque j'ai suffisamment de matière pour vous expliquer ce qui m'a déplu...

Le début s'anno
Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar)
....You may doubt me...but the main character does gain common sense later in the story. She was a stupidly naive coward, and one immature little dumbass when she was 14-15 and even at 16 she had handfuls of those moments. But, she developed more maturely, she gained intelligence, she also gained more common sense as I stated above... I'm not going to bullshit you and tell you she wasn't immature later in the book because, well... she was. Quite a decent percent of the book, she was immature, na ...more
Frida
Review to come.
Kristen Walker
This book was fun to read! I liked Senna because I felt that she was a good balance of strengths and weaknesses, and she really grew over the course of the story. I also liked how detailed the magic was. Using plants and singing have both featured in magic systems a lot, but the author got really in-depth in developing this concept.

It was also cool seeing how many different things that the magic could do. It wasn't too powerful, but it had a lot of flexibility, like when Senna turns into a seal.
Cory
more @ http://antidrugreads.blogspot.com

I can honestly say that I haven't gotten this lost in a fantasy world since the Harry Potter series. Witch Song was so unbelievably outstanding, that I'm having a hard time translating my thoughts and feelings into a sufficient review. Amber Argyle for me, has earned herself a rank equivalent to the best fantasy fiction authors of this decade.

A witch's voice, her song, holds the power. Also called the Keepers, they control nature and the changing of the se
Lisa Richards
I’ve got to admit, when I first started the book, I wasn’t overly excited about the storyline. A young girl is raised by her mother and doesn’t know a lot about her real history. (Been there, done that, several times) Very quickly though, the story takes off and I was thoroughly entrenched in Senna’s adventure to find and release her mother and the other captive witches. At this point, I read non-stop till I finished this marvelous tale.

Her Guardian, Joshen helps her in her quest and adds a roma
What did You think??? 11 63 Mar 23, 2014 10:23PM
  • Somber Island
  • Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring, #1)
  • Entangled (Spellbound, #1)
  • Bloodspell (Bloodspell, #1)
  • Witchlanders
  • Moonbeams  (Beams and Light, #1)
  • Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale
  • Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1)
  • Betrayal (The Descendants, #1)
  • Enchantment (Channie, #1)
  • Afterlife (A Discovery of Vampires, #1)
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • Witch Hunt
  • Spirit Storm (Spirit Guide, #2)
  • Caged in Darkness (Caged, #1)
  • The Survivors (The Survivors, #1)
Amber Argyle is the number-one bestselling author of the Witch Song Series and the Fairy Queen Series. Her books have been nominated for and won awards in addition to being translated into French and Indonesian.

Amber graduated cum laude from Utah State University with a degree in English and physical education, a husband, and a two-year old. Since then, she and her husband have added two more chil
More about Amber Argyle...

Witch Song (4 books)
  • Witch Born (Witch Song, #2)
  • Witch Rising (Witch Song #2.5)
  • Witch Fall (Witch Song, #3)
Witch Born (Witch Song, #2) Winter Queen (Fairy Queens, #1) Witch Fall (Witch Song, #3) Witch Rising (Witch Song #2.5) Witch Song Series Box Set (Witch Song #1-3)

“A Witch with a weak song is barely a Witch at all.” 24 likes
“In part. She sat down and pulled her necklace out of her shirt. "I read about it in my mother's journal. The Witches believe we are all parts of a whole. Like the phases of the moon. Together, we complete the circle and bring balance.” 7 likes