Start by marking “Gus Gets Scared (Scholastic Reader Level 1)” as Want to Read:
Gus Gets Scared (Scholastic Reader Level 1)

Gus Gets Scared (Scholastic Reader Level 1)

From the best-selling illustrator of the FROGGY picture books.

Gus has a new tent. He is going to camp out over night. Mom and Dad think Gus is very brave. But soon it gets dark and cold. The night is full of strange sounds. Gus is getting scared. What will he do?

This Pre-Level 1 story introduces loveable rhino Gus with sweet, simple text that is perfect for brand-new reade
Published July 1st 2011 by Cartwheel Books

To ask other readers questions about Gus Gets Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gus Gets Scared

Ms. Landrum's Class
Feb 05, 2015 Ms. Landrum's Class rated it it was amazing
I Like the book because it is a good book to me.

ND
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is such a fantastic book! Not only are the illustrations great, but the story itself in engaging and one young readers and even preschoolers will relate to.

Gus is so excited about his new tent, which is set up in his back yard. After he's spent the day playing in it with his toys, he decides he wants to be brave and sleep outside in it. No matter how brave Gus tries to be, he becomes scared by the nighttime noises. It's cold, dark and a little scary, especially when a near by owl hoots. Eve
Klava
May 19, 2011 Klava rated it it was amazing
Very cute book with rich color illustrations, perfect for a preschooler, about a really stubborn young hippo named Gus who insists on sleeping outside in the yard in his tent after a day of playing there. At night, though, it gets really dark and really cold, and so Gus asks his Dad to sleep outside with him in the tent until...there is a funny twist at the end that should make the young reader laugh with delight. For a short story with very few words, it's impressively funny and descriptive, ...more
Cecilia Cava
Sep 07, 2015 Cecilia Cava rated it it was amazing
For only 61 words in this books, it's actually pretty funny. It has a clever little story and my daughter and I giggle and I tell her to read it to me again which makes the task less painful for a beginning reader. I think it's necessary to have books that are actually entertaining to engage new readers and this one certainly does the job. I'm even entertained!
Dewey
May 11, 2016 Dewey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-camping
This book is short and simple and super cute. I loved the ending! I will say that some of the story really coming across depends on the kids paying attention to the illustrations, which might be hard with bigger groups, especially since it's kind of a small book. But...still...adorable.
Kate Hastings
Nov 09, 2011 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
Grades K-1. Humorous story about what happens when Gus gets too scared to sleep in the tent overnight after his parents TRIED to tell him!
carissa
Aug 13, 2012 carissa rated it really liked it
Recommended Ages: grades K - 1

Easy-to-read text follows young Gus on his first, somewhat frightening, campout.
Jenny
May 18, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is a cute and quick read. I like the short words that encourage a pre-reader to attempt reading. I also like that it has only one line per page.
Eye
Jun 05, 2015 Eye rated it liked it
I like the front page with the flashlight, the owl, and Gus getting scared. And I like the tree with the owl, and the tent. But I didn't like some of the pages because some of the pages are scary.
Brayden Wickham
Brayden Wickham rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Alfajirikali
Alfajirikali rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Whole And
Whole And rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Barajasmaria189gmail .Com
Barajasmaria189gmail .Com rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
MaryAnn
MaryAnn rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
susan sprinkle
susan sprinkle rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2015
Teacher.
Teacher. rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2011
Krysten
Krysten rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Ms. Landrum's Class
I think this book is about about a litte boy who is scared.

AR
Pippa
Pippa rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Brendan Howard
Brendan Howard rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2013
Storytime Reader
Storytime Reader rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Lincoln Niblock
Lincoln Niblock rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2013
Jj
Jj rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Aiden Camire
Aiden Camire rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Frank Remkiewicz has illustrated many books for children, including the PIGGY AND DAD Brand New Readers and PIGGY AND DAD GO FISHING. He lives on the Gulf Coast of Florida.
More about Frank Remkiewicz...