Nine Questions People Ask About Judaism

Nine Questions People Ask About Judaism

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  14 reviews
If you have ever wondered what being born Jewish should mean to you; if you want to find out more about the nature of Judaism, or explain it to a friend; if you are thinking about how Judaism can connect with the rest of your life -- this is the first book you should own. It poses, and thoughtfully addresses, questions like these:
Can one doubt God's existence and still b...more
Published April 21st 1986 by Touchstone (first published July 1981)

Michael Doyle
This book really helped me place Judaism in context with other major religious and philosophical schools of thought, and unexpectedly brought me to the point of understanding Judaism as a better viewpoint (in terms of morality and social justice) than all others. It was pretty breathtaking in doing so. It is, however, written from a distinctly conservative perspective. I don't agree with the take on intermarriage or (Dennis Prager's) near-mindless Zionism, but it was an informative book nonethel...more
Lisa
Some of the authors' arguments about ethical monotheism's superiority to secular humanism and other systems of thought are conclusory--they set up straw targets and then knock them down too easily and quickly. In spite of that, I enjoyed the book because it opened a window onto Jewish perspective with which I am largely unfamiliar (I am a non Jew) and it is nice to learn about something that's so important to so many people, even though I understand that the authors can't speak for every one of...more
Lauren
The first chapter/question is a must read for many people. However, the rest of the book is not as intelligently laid out as promised. In addition, I found myself quickly skipping pages or even entire sections due to deep philosophical disagreements: setting aside the obvious slant of orthodox Judaism and right-wing politics (which I can appreciate even if I disagree), I could not bear to read about the moral superiority of Judaism. Is this not the stuff of wars? Can be likened to Arianism? Perh...more
Amanda
Joseph Telushkin referenced this book often in his book about Hillel (which I enjoyed a lot), so I decided to check it out. Definitely got off on the wrong foot with the whole chapter about moral behavior necessitating the existence of God (I want to send a copy of Greg Epstein's "Good Without God" to these guys), but some of the other chapters about Jewish belief were interesting. Overall kind of browsed through it, since I picked it up to elaborate on things from another book.
Julie
A fascinating, provocative overview of belief and practice.
Alex
That passing on practices and rituals are far less relevant to conveying to my children why my Judaism is so important to me than would be letting them experience the startling effects of my upholding the extremely high standards of the moral code to which I am choosing to hold myself and seizing opportunities to talk about and share the experience of my values with my children.
Erin Butler
Growing up as a non-Jew, this was a fascinating and enlightening book. Anyone interested in religious thought should read this. It informed me on the connections between Christianity, Judaism, Islam, humanism, Marxism, Atheism, etc. I want to know more about the philosophy of Judaism, and I would like any suggested reading.
Liz Sager
A wonderful collection of answers to common questions about Judaism. Presented in a logical, pragmatic approach to dispelling myths and generating awareness about the Jewish faith. A must-read for anybody interested in becoming more observant.
TaleofGenji
May 16, 2012 TaleofGenji marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jon-Erik
Jul 09, 2008 Jon-Erik rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: pseudo-intellectuals.
Shelves: judaica
If I wanted to see someone knock down a bunch of straw men, I'd put The Wizard of Oz on repeat. Once again, Prager=fail.
Tom Darrow
Decent introduction into Judaism for a non-Jew. Written in an expanded question and answer style.
Marc Spector
very insightful-easy to read and understand and thought provoking too.
Cristina
Intro to Judaism.
Mel Bensky
Mel Bensky marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Asher Milstein
Asher Milstein marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Tomáš Zemko
Tomáš Zemko marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
David
David added it
Jan 26, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Nazli
Nazli marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Noah G
Noah G marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Dennis Prager is an American syndicated radio talk show host, syndicated columnist, author, and public speaker. He is noted for his conservative political and social views emanating from conservative Judeo-Christian values.
More about Dennis Prager...
Happiness Is a Serious Problem: A Human Nature Repair Manual Still the Best Hope: Why the World Needs American Values to Triumph Think a Second Time Why the Jews? From Rage to Responsibility: Black Conservative Jesse Lee Peterson and America Today