Start by marking “The Lobster Coast: Rebels, Rusticators, and the Struggle for a Forgotten Frontier” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  60 reviews
For more than four hundred years the people of coastal Maine have clung to their rocky, wind-swept lands, resisting outsiders’ attempts to control them while harvesting the astonishing bounty of the Gulf of Maine. Today’s independent, self-sufficient lobstermen belong to the communities imbued with a European sense of ties between land and people, but threatened by the for ...more
Published April 26th 2005 by Penguin Books (first published May 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Lobster Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lobster Coast

If you have ever hankered to learn more about Maine's history, fishing economy, and cultural characteristics, THE LOBSTER COAST by Colin Woodard may just be your ticket.

I was a bit lukewarm reading about Matinicus Island in the slow-starting, anecdote heavy journalistic style of Part One, but once I hit Part Two, the author had grabbed my attention with his vivid 1600s history involving contact between American Indians and the Europeans.

How had I learned so little history about a place I was
An enjoyable, engaging read. A select history of Maine over the past 400 years of so written by a journalist. One of my favorite sentences, a description of a lobster: "In basic design, Homarus Americanus resembles a self-propelled Swiss army knife, with deployable appendages for every occassion."
Dec 09, 2007 Michele rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, people who like lobsters as food or critters
Shelves: history
A fascinating look into the history of Maine, starting and ending with lobsters, but including the "people of the dawn" (the Abenaki) and their encounters with at least two distinct breeds of Englishmen, the rise of tourism in Maine, and the economic patterns that make it a frustrating place to live for many. An often tragic story that still holds out hope for the future.
Bryan Mclellan
I grew up in a coastal Maine town, but its been a very long time since there was much activity on the waterfront there. This book explained a lot of cultural traits that I've taken for granted over the years. It also underscored the importance of knowing where we want to be going.
Kristine Stevens
Read this book before I went to Maine on vacation. It gave me a really strong understanding of the background of the state and the influences that shaped it into today's Vacationland.
Lauren Csaki
Woodard begins this entertaining tale by immersing us in the lives of modern lobstermen, but it soon develops into a broader history of the Maine seacoast. He goes back to the early days when English fishermen visited seasonally, through different waves of colonization, statehood, and the influx of summer people and other vacationers in the 19th and 20th centuries. He brings to life the fascinating stories of the people who eked out a living on the Maine coast, fought over control of the land an ...more
The first book about an American Studies issue I've read that was both written by a journalist and actually good. A few of the typical "action journalist man on the street" segments of going out on fishing boats, especially the first 30 pages or so, can be a bit grating, but then he segues into the utterly fascinating history of Maine (and to a lesser extent New England generally - it's all part of the same 'family'), and finishes with extensive coverage of the New England and Maine fishing indu ...more
Picked this book up from the library the other day. I just finished the first part and it is fantastic. It talks a lot about Maine and how its past shaped it present. Unlike history stories this is told through personal stories, visitations to towns, and observations. I love the "idea" of Maine and this book gives important background to it.

I struggles through the middle section which is a settlement history of the region. Not the most exciting part...actually quite boring. But the end talks ab
Michelle LaPointe
I highly recommend this book if you liked the "Secret Life of Lobster," are a history buff, or are from Maine.

note: There is a LOT of overlap between this book and "The Secret Life of Lobster" (they even interview/follow some of the same people). But this book provides a bit more context and a much longer view of the history of Maine.

I was shocked by the colonial history of Maine. The book describes "the killing fields of Maine" - pretty gruesome. I think the book does a balanced job of describ
Okay, first off, a disclosure statement: I love Maine. Spent my honeymoon there and have been back since. I have driven and explored up and down the coast from Wells to Lubec and Prescott. So, I have a predisposition to love books about Maine history and society.
That said, read this book.
Lobster Coast is a character-filled history, from first contact to today, of community in the most independent community-driven state in the union. Woodard starts the reader off on modern day Monhegan Island, w
Overall, I really learned a lot and was exposed to new ideas and themes regarding the history of Maine and its people. Having lived in NH for most of my life I have some ideas of Maine and its heritage, and how it differs from NH.

The writing for the book is crisp and has some interesting divergent strings and tangents. I liked them for the most part, and overall found the pace and flow to be good. I thought the first person early sections dragged a bit, but the meat of the book was really well
Angie Malaier
Who doesn't love Maine history? Colin Woodard is a fun, accessible historian. The author has roots in this part of the country, and you can tell he is very passionate about his subject. I kind of want to move to Maine now, but according to the author, they don't take too kindly to outsiders.

As with AMERICAN NATIONS, my favorite portions of this book are the historical chapters which have been meticulously researched. Fun fact, in early America, lobster was once considered undesirable and was fe
Mar 11, 2009 M marked it as abandoned
When I selected this book, I was hoping for a historical account of the development of the Maine coast: the story of how pioneers tore the land from Natives, then from England, then from Massachusetts, and staked themselves to this jagged coast to eke out a living. I wanted to read about fishing, smuggling, shipbuilding, lobster wars, and legacies. Unfortunately, I started in on some 100 pages of All Things Monhegan. It's written so anecdotally and chummy, and is exactly the sort of thing I hate ...more
I love Maine, my mother's family is from an island in Casco Bay and I have a long history there. I've long researched my genealogy from Casco Bay (back to Mayflower ancestry) and other places Downeast, particularly Deer Isle. So reading this book helped me put into prospective the lives of my ancestors in the context of Maine history. It was well written, organized and for me, enlightening, especially that of the colonial era until 1820 when Maine finally broke away from Massachusetts. I often d ...more
Marraine Kettell
one of the best books I have read about Maine history. certainly most of the history is centered on the fishing industry, but it also provides background of the overall development of Maine that natives and "rusticators " alike should be familiar with. Maine ' s strong, independent character is deeply influenced by its history. Colin Woodward provided me (a transplant to Maine at the age of 5) with quite a few moments of increased clarity.
Growing up in Southern New England, I was aware that Maine was culturally very different. The history in this book confirms and explains that. The information on lobsters and lobster fishing is interesting. There was also much that I was not particularly interested in, but that could just be me.
I have spent time in Maine every summer for the past few years. I love it partly because the state has such a unique culture, but I didn't really have an understanding of that culture. This book helped me appreciate the culture and history of this great state. If you want to understand Maine today, just read the first and last chapters. The rest is certainly not filler; it's a great history of the state. But if you are short on time, just read the first and last.
Borrowed from Eliza and well... I JUST LOVED IT! So much so, that I'm begging Colby to have us rent a house on the Maine coast for next summer. I tend to gravitate towards this genre--a blend of history, painting social fabric and describing a complex environment. We all know that life is complicated and we also know about stereo-types of certain regions in the US... but do we really understand the underpinnings? Woodard did such a fab job in highlighting conditions and trends, you really feel a ...more
Did you know that Maine lobster constituted the first successfully canned food in the United States? Or that at the height of the industry over 22 million pounds of the yummy stuff was pulled up off the ocean floor off the Maine coast? How about what American war was the most destructive in proportion to the overall population? A fascinating historical account of a little-known (and let's keep it that way) corner of America. A fresh and quirky approach to historical writing that reads well but r ...more
I bought this in Providence, RI 4 years ago almost to the day for absolutely no reason. But, I've held onto it and decided to give it a whirl to prepare myself for the big move to Maine.

I don't regret that decision at all. Woodard gives a pretty thorough (I think) history of the people, fishing habits and lobster-y things in coastal Maine starting in the early 17th century.

The only criticism I have is that he doesn't always go chronologically. He talks people history for a set of years then go
A very readable account of the Maine coast portraying the struggles of the earliest colonists, the fishermen and lobstermen who made a go at the rugged lifestyle associated with Maine, and those who moved to Maine in search of the good life only to replicate their mundane suburban lives pushing out those who work the coast and driving up property values. It describes the plenitude of resources and how sprawl is threatening to turn the "Down East" into a veritable extension of greater suburban Bo ...more
The first half of this book is definitely the better of the two. It covers the little known, or otherwise forgotten history of Maine. The early settlers lived hard hard lives and their story deserves to be read and shared. But the second half drags on as a too-in-depth discussion on the condition of the fisheries on the New England coast of the recent past and today, when this information could have taken half as many pages. I got to the point where I just wanted the book to end. But, when the e ...more
Marysue Hudson
A book for the history buff who wants to know more about the history of Maine and it's coast.
Centuries of history are discussed, very interesting, and some interesting perspective on why Maine leans democrat politically. Having lived there during the '70s and into the '80s, I especially appreciated Woodard's writing of that time. He wraps up the book just coming short of arguing with himself about the job opportunities brought into the state from outsiders vs. the independence and autonomy the not-from-away Mainers so fiercely fight to retain.
And, by the way, a lot of information on lo
Cathy Record
Ok, there are some flaws, but for someone from the area - the history, especially of the Indian wars, is fascinating. A long told story from my maternal grandfather, told of an Indian attack at the Haley farm in Saco, Maine. Rumor has it, they rolled pumpkins down the stairs to fool the attackers into thinking there were many men in the house. If the wars were as devastating as the author suggests, it's easy to see how a story could survive... Thank you Karen Whelply for the recommendation!!!!
Colin Woodard is a local journalist who is very knowledgeable about current fisheries, socioeconomic, and town/regional planning issues. He is also skilled at digging into Maine's past and using it to provide a context for what is happening along the coast today.

While this book was written ten years ago, it is still quite informative on the pressures being exerted on the Gulf of Maine and people living along the Maine coast.
Solid book that gives great insight into people from Maine and maybe even Boston - or those that grew up there. Insightful history of coastal Maine, and of lobstering, the fisheries, etc... Overlapping in content, for me, with another book I've read - Cod - which was also quite good. Author got a bit wordy toward end, and too nostalgic, letting personal feelings weigh heavy, but aside from that - good.
Rachel Rogers
As a Maine-iac I was fascinated by this book. The culture of Maine has always interested me and the back history explained much of it. History of lobstering...really, it was interesting and engaging.

The excesses that the people at MBNA (I think it was) while trying to establish their offices in Camden and Rockland and alienating much of the community was eye-opening and hysterical, while also sad.
This is a highly readable history of coastal Maine, and offers quite a bit of additional color on the greater history of New England and the early United States. The enduring nature of Maine gets traced deftly here, as does the history of the fishery so entwined with life on the Maine coast. It's regional history, so it's not for everybody, but it's a must for anybody who spends time here.
This book makes me want to force every flatlander who ventures to Maine (no offense, all) to pick it up and read to understand the history and culture of this amazing state. On the other hand, this book paints such a raw, beautiful picture of my state that I want to keep it to myself so it doesn't influence more people "from away" buy up yet another coastal property.
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
  • Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay
  • Defining the Wind: The Beaufort Scale and How a 19th-Century Admiral Turned Science into Poetry
  • The Lobster Chronicles: Life on a Very Small Island
  • The West
  • The Empty Ocean
  • The Wild Vine: A Forgotten Grape and the Untold Story of American Wine
  • American Jezebel: The Uncommon Life of Anne Hutchinson, the Woman Who Defied the Puritans
  • The Whole Hog: Exploring the Extraordinary Potential of Pigs
  • The End of the Line: How Overfishing Is Changing the World and What We Eat
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • A Nation of Farmers: Defeating the Food Crisis on American Soil
  • Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood
  • Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America
  • The Big Oyster: History on the Half Shell
  • Working on the Edge: Surviving In the World's Most Dangerous Profession: King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas
  • Small is Possible: Life in a Local Economy
  • The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America
American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Surprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates and the Man Who Brought Them Down Ocean's End: Travels Through Endangered Seas The Real Pirates of the Caribbean Unsettled