Start by marking “Feed Your Face: Younger, Smoother Skin and a Beautiful Body in 28 Delicious Days” as Want to Read:

Tired of wasting hundreds of dollars on expensive wrinkle creams, drying lotions, and zit-zappers that just don't work? Well listen up, ladies. To really get gorgeous, you've got to change the way you feed your face.
Cosmetics companies, women's magazines—heck, even most doctors—will swear that food doesn't affect the skin. But celebrity dermatologist Dr. Jessica Wu knows
Published February 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Feed Your Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feed Your Face

Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
I have mixed feelings about this book. I found the nutritional advice really helpful, but I am not that comfortable with the recommendations for botox, etc. The author does administer botox for herself and others, so I kept that in mind.

I do believer that everyone has a right to do with what they want with their body, within reason, but it just made me feel uncomfortable. I don't know why. lol
Arminzerella
Jessica Wu is a dermatologist practicing in LA, so she gets to see a lot of famous clients, who experience the same kinds of skin woes as everyone else (some of their stories are included here). Although there aren’t a lot of clinical studies or trials (i.e. research) to support Dr. Wu’s findings, she has found in her own practice that diet can really affect the appearance and health of the skin. In Feed Your Face she shares these nutrition basics so that others can benefit from her experience a ...more
Tiffany
Jul 27, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As many other reviewers have said, the food advice is nothing new. However, the information relating the healthy diet to skin,hair and nail care was new to me and actually made me want to fall into a better lifestyle trend. There is certainly a lot of information to sort through and you may be tempted to skip to the diet itself (purposely at the end), but the knowledge is super interesting once you get over the repetitive nature of Wu's arguments for changing your eating habits. I especially lov ...more
Grace P.
Feb 14, 2011 Grace P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This doctor is very honest and you can tell she has integrity and is careful and knowledgeable in her practice. This book was a combination of nutrition and beauty advice.
Ulrich
Aug 29, 2015 Ulrich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for beginners.

I love the very simple meal by meal full month of suggestions that helpfully repeat ingredients often thus saving time and money in the grocery store. She doesn't have you buy something, use a tiny portion and then not use it again before it gets gross.

The diet itself is nothing groundbreaking and it seems like she hadn't yet heard of the dangers of over-doing the antioxidant thing. Human bodies actually need a certain amount of oxidative stress and there is some evidence that
Feb 16, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
It has been a few years since I read this book. Yet I remember that it was the first book that I read which introduced the idea of what you eat showing in your skin and reflected in your health.
Elizabeth
It was great getting a dermatologist's viewpoint of what to eat and what to avoid when it comes to health food. This book had a lot of great information, all written in laymen's terms, on how our skin functions and how wrinkles/acne/rashes occur. The diet itself is pretty simple and is probably most closely aligned with a paleo-esque diet. You certainly would loose weight if you followed her diet precisely. However, keeping up the strict regimen of very little sugar, diary, salt, and refined foo ...more
Kerry
Aug 15, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Very easy to read and well done. It gives very specific tips on how to use foods to heal various skin ailments and why. She intersperses narratives of regular and famous clients experiences and food logs, providing critiques and praise accordingly. I knocked off a star because she advocates for some products and procedures that are really unhealthy such as Vaseline (hello, petroleum?) and injectables, etc. towards the end. She does provide some meal plan and recipe suggestions, which to me aren' ...more
Sandi
Mar 14, 2011 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book very interesting and full of smart, down-to-earth ideas and advice. It seems like common sense that what you eat directly affects your skin. I eat a relatively healthy diet but was surprised to find out that even healthy foods, including some fruits and veggies, may have a negative effect on my skin.

As an added bonus, she is a dermatologist to the stars and this book includes the food diary of some minor celebs. Nikki Sixx, of Motley Crue fame, apparently has wonderful wrinkle
Gina
May 10, 2011 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As Jessica Wu is a dermatologist, I was hoping for more definitive product suggestions for dark spots, etc. Basically, Wu's "diet" is to eat a well-balance diet focusing on real foods -- vegetables, fruit, whole grains, lean protein. Like every doctor, she's keen on avoiding processed food, refined sugar, and simple carbohydrates. There's nothing new here, but it was interesting to learn that eating certain foods can provide a small measure of protection against the sun.

If you are well-read rega
Janet
Mar 24, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laura Burgess
Recommended to Janet by: RF
Shelves: food-studies
Dr. Wu believes that what we eat has a big impact on our skin quality. She argues that our skin's biggest enemy is not greasy, fatty foods but rather sugar. She gives advice on various skin conditions and suggests which foods to eliminate. For example, dairy products can make acne worse and gluten can trigger eczema. I was surprised to learn that tomatoes--one of my favorite foods--can protect against UV damage. Dr. Wu provides a 28-day food plan to help you get started. However, I'm a picky eat ...more
Christina
Jun 24, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feed Your Face is true as I eat right and I don't have wrinkles. I turn 50 in 2015 and I look like I'm in my thirties. An Asian women commented that I must have clear skin because I drink water and eat right. Feed Your Face is a good introduction to this food/face connection. It's interesting that I cut out most dairy two years before I read this book. Anecdotal evidence or a clear connection: you decide.
Kimberly
Apr 15, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
I read this book with the intention of gaining insight for my daughter's acne. Dr. Wu really delivers an easy to read book with lots of examples and practical tips to help your skin look better by eating the right foods. She also talks about treatments for wrinkles, acne and other skin problems. It was very balances and informative. Some of the information I knew, but there was many things that were very new to me. It was worth the read.
Apr 26, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very readable, helpful and even humorous at times. Some very good tips. Put tomato paste (or some form of smashed tomatoes) into everything, it works like an internal sunblock and almonds do something to prevent gray hair. I'd like to own a copy so I could refer to it. As you can see my memory of the exact details is a bit hazy.
Jane
Jun 27, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skincare
Although the title over promises, this is an excellent book containing much useful information. "Younger" skin takes longer than 28 days whether you are using topicals or food, especially if you are older with slower skin turnover. However, unlike many books by dermatolgists, Dr. Wu spends only one chapter on fillers, lasers, and such procedures.
Adrienne
Aug 03, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feed Your Face
By: Jessica Wu

Rating:⭐⭐⭐⭐
Date Finished: 8/13/14

This is a great book to read because it talks about the correct way to get beautiful skin. It has a ton of great tips and tricks, like what foods to eat to reduce the risk of sunburn, foods for acne prone skin, etc. It also explains how what we eat affects our skin.
Tsl5032
Oct 11, 2012 Tsl5032 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Although, it makes logical sense how food is related to skin care. Jessica Wu gives good tips on which foods are best for your skin and these foods are also affordable which makes them awesome. I like how she was not trying to promote or sell a product. I have not tried the three week food diet challenge, but I will eventually. I really enjoyed reading this book.
She-Rah
May 16, 2011 She-Rah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book. I read some reviews that said they didn't like the book because nothing was based on evidence. Personally I felt a lot of what she talks about is common sense that we just tend to forget. I recommend reading the book, trying out what she has to say and decide for yourself if what she says has any validity. I think you'll be surprised!
Roseanne
Mar 20, 2011 Roseanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lot of information, and can be rather overwhelming. I will need to read over the relevant parts again. So far the biggest change I will make is adding more cooked tomatoes to my diet, which I'm happy to do.
Nichole
Jul 20, 2012 Nichole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was more to this book than I thought there would be--very specific things to eat/not eat for different skin concerns. I was ready to start the diet...then I went on vacation. I might need to read it again to get the motivation back.
Jasmine Pulley
Mar 02, 2014 Jasmine Pulley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know it sounds like a hokey title, like this book would be about some diet fad, but it's actually the most informative book on nutrition I've ever read. I learned so much about what foods provide which vitamins and why I should be eating them. Everything was presented in an easy to absorb manner.
Cassie
Jan 22, 2014 Cassie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An okay read. Not a lot of new information regarding eating healthy for your skin. Just more natural foods like green veggies, fruits, lean meat, etc. She pushed for no dairy & more soy but soy products are a little controversial as well. But she's just one resource.
Yara Zeitoun
Generally I'm a really health eater - definitely healthier than many examples in the book - but this book is good to help me know what foods are good for what -- not just skincare, but also nails, hair, etc. A quick, easy, and light read to help you understand how food and the body can work well.
Allison
Dec 20, 2011 Allison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just skimmed it. I just didn't care that much - thought I would, but decided not to waste my time. A lot of it was stuff I knew, and a lot of it was stuff I won't remember once I read it. So looks like I won't have the younger, smoother skin or that beautiful body in 28 days. :(
Holly
Jul 19, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of information and easy to read. She seems like someone you would like to meet or have as your doctor.
taru
Feb 04, 2014 taru rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting information but the writing style is little bit confusing and boring
Shellyc
Sep 08, 2013 Shellyc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a book in this genre, it was surprisingly a very easy read. There was no boring medical talk and she explained everything with details and examples.
Audrey
Dec 24, 2013 Audrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly contradictory advice, but has some good tips nonetheless.
Jan 18, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, nonfiction
Dishy fun with all of Wu's talk of celebrities, with some really helpful tips throughout.
Sheena Bautista
Sheena Bautista rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Homemade Skin Care 1 2 Sep 19, 2014 09:39PM
  • The Skin Type Solution
  • I Want What She's Having, Now!: Exactly How You Can Be So Hot & Healthy You'll Barely Recognize Yourself
  • Cavewomen Don't Get Fat: The Paleo Chic Diet for Rapid Results
  • Ingredients: A Visual Exploration of 75 Additives & 25 Food Products
  • Keto-Adapted
  • The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green
  • Dr. Kellyann's Bone Broth Diet: Lose Up to 15 Pounds, 4 Inches--and Your Wrinkles!--in Just 21 Days
  • No More Dirty Looks: The Truth About Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics
  • Loveability: Knowing How to Love and Be Loved
  • Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time
  • The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat
  • That Sugar Book
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World
  • The Beauty Detox Foods: Discover the Top 50 Beauty Foods That Will Transform Your Body and Reveal a More Beautiful You
  • Gluten Is My Bitch: Rants, Recipes, and Ridiculousness for the Gluten-Free
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • Counterclockwise: My Year of Hypnoisis, Hormones, and Other Adventures in the World of Anti-Aging
  • 7 Years Younger: The Revolutionary 7-Week Plan to Look and Feel Your Best