The Rhine Maiden (Rhine Maiden #1)

The Rhine Maiden (Rhine Maiden #1)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Piper Cavanaugh is The Rhine Maiden, a descendent of the sirens who lured sailors to their deaths with beautiful singing. After vowing never to use her supernatural power of command, she is more than happy to stay at home with her two little girls, but one little slip-up and her secret has come back to bite her "" literally.
Published August 26th 2010 by Erin Evans (first published July 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Rhine Maiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rhine Maiden

Chris
Got this as an Amazon Freebie. I can say that I wouldn't gotten this if I had to pay for it. I was, however, nicely surprised and am considering buying the second one.

Piper has a problem and it's more than her mother-in-law. A vampire is trying to kill her. And her young sister is going rebellious. And her dog doesn't really understand house breaking. And she has two young girls who both want to wear the princess crown, even though there are two.

And she has a magical ability that she hasn't tol...more
Jim
This is one of the few books I have ever read that have truly made me angry with the author. The first half of the book is fairly light, easy to read, and likable. The main character is very human, loving one moment, judgmental the next. Then suddenly out of the blue comes this deadly serious condemnation of anyone who have an abortion or anyone who would help a woman to abort her fetus. Then the indifferent or inconsistent discipline of her own children, judgmental treatment of her sister becom...more
Susie
I got a little tired of the anti-abortion ranting, but it was fun to read a stay-at-home-mom goes paranormal story.
Cherish Thong
This is a story about Piper Cavanaugh, who has the ability to command people (a better term would be 'creatures', I believe) around her to do as she says. Now a mother of two, she found out that there is an impending alien invasion, and the fate of the world and all of humanity lies with her. Things of course, were not so simple, with werewolves and vampires and malicious trifids to handle, and nothing is quite what it seems. On top of it all, she has two hyperactive kids and a menacing mother-i...more
Lyuba
The story follows Piper, the stay at home mother of two demonic toddlers who also has the power of Voice, making her being able to command people. She sworn not to use the power ever again (unless in a dire situations, aka when it comes to her dog Harvey) after she had a scary incident in university which made her change universities and move cities. For 6 years Piper was able to keep her power under control, until she lost her temper with her little sister Sarah and came under the radar of USB...more
Tangled  Speculation
It was nice to see a stay at home mom as a paranormal heroine, but be warned: this one listens to Glen Beck for "news', is preachy and overbearing (but thinks it's funny to use the term "fag")and hits you over the head with her poorly researched anti choice stance (that goes on for many chapters and is hard to skip past). There were some promising points when she described her college years, and her younger sister has potential. I'd like to see stories from the sister's POV. I would also like to...more
Jana
The Rhine Maiden by Erin Evans initially caught me by the title, which made my little Germanic heart go pitter-patter. (Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is my ring tone, but no skin heads allowed.) It's an easy read with parts that I enjoyed. I have grands that are 2 & 4 years of age and a Harvey of my own, so I can testify that part of our heroine's personal life was spot on. I enjoy quirky, funny urban fantasy heroines, but I felt Ms. Evans took elements from three of my favorite urban fan...more
Lise
You know how sailors were supposed to tie themselves to something so they would not be lured by the beautiful voices of the sirens, well, Piper Cavenaugh is one. A human siren. Not bad.

Making people do what she wants by using the "Voice" is terribly tempting to Piper. However, experience has taught her that she will eventually get into trouble by doing so. Its duration is only 10 minutes and that really puts limitations on what it can be used for.

One evening Piper gets into trouble. She was seen...more
JenniferJ
This was a funny story about this housewife who finds out she is on a hit list for exposing magic she didn't realize she was even using! Well she knew early on she had a voice that could make people listen if only for a few moments but she never really considered it magic or anything until paranormals started popping out of the woodwork trying to run her over.

It was a bit different than the usual paranormal stories I read because it was quite comedic on one hand and full of every day life on the...more
Alysha
got it as a Kindle freebie, it kept my interest and had potential. liked the characters, but I hate figuring out the plot twist at the beginning of a book.
Amy Siggelow
Contrary to other reviewer's opinions of this book, I found it to be a really fun, quick read. Yes, an abortion clinic was a setting for a part of the book, but unless it has been edited since the negative reviews were placed, there really wasn't much pertaining to pro-life or pro-choice issues. Certainly, the subject matter was not excessive nor is it required to read the sections of the book one may find offensive in order to comprehend what is taking place.

I enjoyed this book; I read it on an...more
Diane
this is the first book in the rhine maiden series by erin evans, and it was really cute. not a romance, per se, but just a really cute story about a harried housewife/stay-at-home-mom who has a secret--she is human BUT....

going to have to check out the other books in this series; it's too good to stop here. i really commend amazon and other book sellers who are offering so many books free lately. i've been introduced to several good authors this way, though my budget is complaining loudly!
KristenR
Overall this was a cute piece of fluff fantasy. I was enjoying it until I was 2/3 of the way through and I had to wade through a few pages of anti-choice preaching. Then it was back to the regularly scheduled story. It wasn't really the content that bothered me. I've read other books where the character's (and obviously the author's) beliefs were very different from mine and I didn't feel beaten over the head with sanctimony. This just seemed out of place in the context of the book.
Tammy
I was super-disappointed in this book. Not because I didn't like the premise or the plot--because I have been longing for what the author calls "suburban fantasy"--but because the book was extremely offensive. The book contains racism (stereotypical jokes about Mexicans), homophobia (the use of "fag" as an insult), and a heavy dose of anti-choice rhetoric including comparing abortion to The Holocaust.
Nathalie
I'm going to be honest, this was a terrible book. It could have been good. But it went overboard. And then it began to preach. I don't read fiction to be preached at. If I could have given it no stars I would have. I think Ms. Evans could do with another edit or two, or three. Definitely not worth the time, and I really wouldn't recommend.
John
Excellent read. Light reading and very amusing. Very interesting twist on the whole vampire/werewolf/witches genre. Not dark, except when you consider how real some of her book really is. The interactions between the main character and her children, and the main character and her mother-in-law is hilarious.
Olivia
DNF. Glen Beck is "news"? Spanking your 2 and 4 year olds because they get out of bed and want to spend time with you, their mother, is OK because you'd rather be snogging your husband on the couch? There were some funny bits, and it's a neat concept, but in the end, I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it.
Geraldine Tsaftarides
it's a good book. but i am really not interesting book 2. i'm trying to stay away from the whole vampire supernatural stuff right now. with twilght and vampire diaries,i've had my fill. that's the only reason i didnt give it 3 stars. but there were parts that really had me glued.
Kara Ripley
I didn't really start to like the book until it was almost finished. There was lots of set up. I got hooked in and I bought the next book on my kindle. Just 99 cents.
Michele Crimson
Not a bad book but not really a good one either. I wasn't offended by this book as some reviewers were but the main character was a little flat to me.
Madeline Sloane
Bizzare plot but fast paced, well written. A cute, quirky read. Got it free and bought the second installment. Never trust a witch is my new motto.
Lorraine
I liked this book a lot. It had a heroine I could really relate to, and an original plot (I really couldn't predict the ending).
Shannon
This was a fun read. Kind of on the order of the Sookie Stackhouse novels or the Dead and Unwed novels.
Clearly not headed for the canon of classical lit for all times, but very entertaining to a stay at home mom!
Peggy
very preachy. I liked the concept but hated the preaching. won't read more.
Edna
3.5 -only because it's not the smartest read but oh-so-much fun.
AH
Aug 08, 2011 AH marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kobo free download 8/8/11
geekybibliocat
Cute little fantasy read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Sorcha's Heart
  • The Devil & Venus di Milo (Witches Anonymous, #0.5)
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Seaborne (Seaborne #1)
  • Just One Taste (The V V Inn, #0.5)
  • Illegal Magic
  • The Gifts
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • A Faerie Fated Forever (Forever, #1)
  • Campaign Promises
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Haunting Refrain
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • The Abandoned Edge of Avalon
  • Cupcakes, Sales, and Cocktails (Annie Graceland Mystery, #2)
  • Quinn, a Vampire Watcher's Story (Royal Blood Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Hawks Mountain
Erin Evans is a stay-at-home mom of seven (yep!), wonderful, little children. When she's not chasing after her offspring, changing diapers, teaching school, cooking gruel, chauffeuring minions about, or potty training, she is writing, playing drums at her church or crashed out dead asleep.

BOOKS:

- In her first series, "The Rhine Maiden" (Books 1-5), Erin based her siren-voiced character, Piper Cav...more
More about Erin Evans...
It Never Rhines but It Pours (Rhine Maiden, #2) A Little Rhine Must Fall (Rhine Maiden #3) Rhine, Rhine, Go Away (Rhine Maiden, #4) Don't Rhine on My Parade (Rhine Maiden, #1) Rhinebows and Unicorns (Rhine Maiden, #5)