Stick Dog Wants a Hamburger: Adventure 1

Stick Dog Wants a Hamburger: Adventure 1

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Stick Dog and his four friends - Stripes, Mutt, Poo-Poo and Karen - will do anything to steal some sweet-smelling hamburgers from a family at Picasso Park. Their plans to do so are both devious and wacky. Illustrated with bold pastels, this story breaks the conventions of the traditional picture book: The narrative is conversational, the illustrations are loud and accessib...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Book Baby

To ask other readers questions about Stick Dog Wants a Hamburger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stick Dog Wants a Hamburger

Rissa Karina Burge
I love dogs. They are my favorite animals. You can be so attached to them that it hurts when they're sick. Therefore, I always like to read some enjoyable dog stories that are not gloomy. You know, the ones that don't talk about a dog being abused or sick dogs that need to be put to sleep. Instead, I like the ones that are funny. Well this story is really fun to read. It's an easy read. The author has a good sense of humor.

Since it's a children's book, it's not complete if there's no pictures. E...more
Heather Wildman
I got this ebook a while back and as a joke started reading it out loud to the boys tonight when they started fighting over the video game they were playing. After the first page, game play stopped, they were reading over my shoulder, and we were all laughing. SCORE one for mom and reading!

Any book that can pull the kids out of their video game and have us all smiling by the time it's over gets five stars, in my opinion.
Alisa
I just downloaded this book onto my iPad today. So far...HILARIOUS! I just love silly books like this...books that just make you smile and giggle, especially when you "experience" it together with your kids. I read through the first half of this iBook with my children tonight and we were laughing out loud. It was time for bed, so we couldn't finish it. The girls were very disappointed that we had to stop reading, but are looking forward to picking up where we left off. I will try to resist takin...more
Lori
My barely 7 year old is reading this right now. We are laughing out-loud during it. Another reviewer mentions that it is better for older children because of the author's humor. Our 4 year old thinks it is pretty funny too.

The story is about the life of a dog and his friends with lots of funny interjections by the author. It has been a great introduction to irony for my son.

This was a free download for my nook. I will be looking into buying something from this author to thank him for this hilar...more
Cathy
Free Kindle download. Very, very funny children's book about Stick Dog (the author can't draw very well, he admits) and his other homeless dog pals who dearly want a hamburger from the family grilling in the park. How they go about getting them is a riot. I loved Stick Dog and his friends. The drawings were very cute although not in color on the Kindle. Highly recommended.
Mike
As of this writing, "Stick Dog Wants a Hamburger" is available for free download to Kindle or a Kindle reading app... the book is absolutely hysterical, a great read-aloud for kids, and worthwhile for adults too, especially if you can still grab it for free.
Stick Dog and his canine friends want some hamburgers. Plots are formulated. Shenanigans ensue.
Qinqin Schoser
The book is so funny. I read it to my 5-year-old daughter...she could not get all the humor(the books sounds like a teen) but she laughed and requested to read again many times. I enjoyed it myself too. at the time we were reading this book we just got a new dog so it is a perfect book at perfect time for me and my daughter.
Sherri
I read this aloud to my 10 yr old at bed time. We laughed and laughed. The simple illustrations were cute and still better than I could draw. Free Nook book.
Angel
Very cute children's book about 4 dogs who are hungry. I don't want to spoil the rest if the story, but cute.
Tammy
My kids haven't laughed this hard at a book in a very very very long time. They loved it!
Rowena
Loved reading this at bedtime with my 7 year old. Antics of this doggy gang are great reading!
Kathi Olsen
A very fun, funny short story by this author. I chuckled through almost all of it.
Kimberly
Loved it. I read it with my 12 year old daughter. We both got a lot of laughs from it.
Pam
Very cute book. Cant wait to read it to the grandchildren.
Sheila
Cute, quirky and totally charming.
Zuzana
May 23, 2011 Zuzana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any fun-loving kid (or kid at heart)
Hilarious!!! :) Loved it.
Atlantis
Usually l at least "like"if not love kids books- I'll be interested to know what my 2 older kids think of this book when they finish it but I didn't care for it at all and I'm glad it was a free kindle download. The book is definitely for an older reader as the author interjects his own weird and obscure thoughts into the story which I found very distracting and gave the story a choppy flow. This story received some good reviews so maybe my funny bone is out of whack...
Darlene
Jun 04, 2011 Darlene rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children at heart who can read with feeling.
Recommended to Darlene by: Kindle Freebie
Shelves: children, kindle
The drawings are fun. I think drawing like that can help others feel like they can draw, too. It was easy to relate to the ongoing narrative. Glad there was a good outcome.

This was difficult to read on the Kindle but on the Kindle PC it was much easier on the eyes. I would have loved more pictures. I got a little bored on the pages of no pictures.
Kayla
read this last night to my girls. They were rolling around the bed laughing so hard, tears streaming from their eyes. Guess it hit their funny bone! It was a free Nook download and way better than expected. Too bad we couldn't see in color on my NOok. We may have to go to the libary and get this one for full enjoyment.
Rachel
By far one of the most random books I've ever read. I think it's supposed to be for children, but I'll warn you that it gets quite wordy. I'll also admit that I only got this book because it was free on my Kindle, but I read it to my sister and we thoroughly enjoyed the quirkiness of it.
My kids and I have read both SD books over and over again. Especially for my 7 year old, these books are clever, funny, silly, and enjoyable to read over and over again (excellent for his blossoming reading skills). Two thumbs way up for Tom Watson and the Stick Dog gang.
Sara without a H
Funny, but a little verbose for my taste. He spends more time talking to the reader (funny at first, but then gets old) than developing the characters. I would have preferred a little more plot development and not so much focus on forcing comedy.
AnnaM
I love dogs. My 6 yr old wanted to read this when he saw the picture on the cover but it was way too advanced for him to read on his own. When I was reading it to him he got bored and just flipped through the pictures. He liked those.
Katy Brandes
We loved the little basic drawings (much better than my own stick renderings), even on a black-and-white Kindle! My four-year-old loved this story and can't wait for another adventure.
Donna Jk
Jjtrotta
Dec 02, 2011 Jjtrotta is currently reading it
Another free book for the Kindle. Reading w Morgan. She thinks it's funny.
Brenda
Very enjoyable story. Even my middle schoolers liked it.
Sara
This book isn't a pre-school picture book. It is very funny
Ron
free on the kindle, not worth paying for
Kelly
Strange but not in a good way.
Tom is the author and draws the original sketches for all the Stick Dog stories. He lives in Chicago with his wife, daughter and son. They also have a dog named Shadow. Tom did not want to name the dog Shadow. He wanted to name him ‘Put Your Shirt On.’ It’s a long story. Sometimes when Tom is visiting schools, he shares the story.

Tom’s first jobs out of college were in politics. He worked for U.S....more
More about Tom Watson...
Stick Dog Garbage! Monster! Burp! When Cows Fly Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog Stick Dog Wants a Frankfurter: Adventure 2