3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  5,814 ratings  ·  813 reviews

Elizabeth Valchar-pretty, popular, and perfect-wakes up the morning after her eighteenth birthday party on her family's yacht, where she'd been celebrating with her six closest friends. A persistent thumping noise has roused her. When she goes to investigate, what she finds will change everything she thought she knew about her life, her friends, and everything in between.

Published August 2nd 2011 by Walker & Company (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady CrossWither by Lauren DeStefanoFallen by Lauren KateEntwined by Heather DixonThe Luxe by Anna Godbersen
The Year of the Dress
81st out of 392 books — 333 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothFallen by Lauren KateDivergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandThe Selection by Kiera Cass
Favourite Covers
28th out of 209 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

karen

so, when i am cleaning house, i like to have some sort of police procedural on in the background. i don't know why, i just find them soothing - the shape of the narrative tends to be consistent, and they usually have enough action sequences for me to pace my laundry-folding and book restacking in a productive way.

there is a definite preference-hierarchy to the shows i will watch. law and order (excluding criminal intent) is the preferred choice. ncis and criminal minds are lower, and as i have o...more
Carolina
It's really hard for me to be swept away by a book in the same way I used to be swept away as a kid. Maybe it's a writer thing. I don't know. I mean, I have this ridiculous internal editor that never shuts up. But something happened as I was reading BETWEEN. I noticed it had a release date of August 2, so I picked it up, and there I stood reading this afternoon, beside my kitchen island, my Coke Zero forgotten and my peanut butter sandwich staling, and before I knew it, my legs were cramping and...more
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Liz was perfect in life. She had the looks, the friends and the money to buy popularity and keep it. Beneath the surface though, Liz was more than just a pretty face. Born to a mother plagued by anorexia, Liz learned from an early age that eating equals control, and when her life spun out of control, she controlled her eating habits. On the morning of her 18th birthday, Liz wakes up to see her body floating in the water, but she has no recollection of what's happened. As she wanders the "between...more
Jessica Saylor
Wow. Was this an amazing book. When I read the synopsis I thought it was going to be a typical YA book, but I was completely floored by how amazing this book was. It has everything a YA book needs and more: mystery, romance, strong characters, a hole-less plot and meaning.

My only complaint of this book was there was one part where it was a little boring. Right after you get over the shock of what is happening and right before the mystery starts unraveling. And even then, it isn't THAT boring it...more
Fred
Oct 18, 2012 Fred rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Fred by: Lauren
Shelves: favorites
This is an intense book that elicits deep emotions of the heartache kind. It's a story of redemption in the afterlife of a seemingly superficial rich girl, Liz, who wakes up during the night of her 18th birthday to find her now lifeless body floating in the water near her family's boat, where she'd been partying with her friends and step-sister. She's not alone in this weird between state, though, there's another dead boy from her school, Alex, who seems to be some sort of guide for her, althoug...more
EsmeButterfly
Antes de partir es una novela totalmente diferente dentro del género juvenil. Está repleta de intriga, suspense, reflexiones, secretos y sorpresas. Me ha sorprendido que a pesar de tener unos personajes de lo más superficiales, todo tenga una razón de ser y hayan conseguido que me ponga en su lugar. Que a nadie le eche para atrás que cuente con fantasmas como protagonistas, porque a pesar de esto y de que la portada es bastante tétrica, no inspira nada de miedo. Además, es un detalle que no tien...more
Lauren
Aug 11, 2011 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Ever since reading Where the Truth Lies, Jessica's second novel, last year, I've been dying to read another book by her, so when Between landed on my radar I knew I had to read it. Not only because I was pretty sure I would love it, but also because it had been compared to two of my favorite YA books, Before I Fall and If I Stay. Luckily, it was pretty darn SPECTACULAR to say the least.

It all starts with a jarring noise. However, when Elizabeth (also known as Liz) goes to find out just what's ma...more
Christy And Danielle
On the cover of the book, Gail Giles says "A love story, and a cautionary tale that gallops from its gripping beginning to its crackling conclusion."

I completely agree with Mrs. Giles! Between is a wonderful story. It is different from what I am used to reading but that isn't to say it isn't as good. I simply LOVED the book.

Liz is trying to figure out what happened to her the night that she died. Everyone seems to think it was an accident, that she fell into the water.

Then she sees Alex, they...more
Vinola
Rola
first reviewed on: www.xoreads.blogspot.ca

Oh no not again. WHY does this always happen to me? i swear the bookstore is going to have a fit if i return another novel. Im sorry but this novel was not good at all. the concept is good, but i just didnt like the story. i spent WAY to much time skim reading & asking my self when i'd finally finish. the only reason i kept reading was because i kinda wanted to know what happened. But this was a bad mystery unfortunatly.

First of the charac...more
Laura Pauling
Yes I judge a book by its cover. I also love ghost stories. So when I saw the cover, I knew I'd love it. And I did. Elizabeth wakes up to find her dead body floating in the water and has to solve her own murder because she can't remember much of what happened. A slow unravel, page turning story. This main character is similar to the one in Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Even though the Elizabeth is somewhat shallow and bitchy we learn why, we see her change, and we have empathy.

Definitely worth...more
Aishwarya Rao
I haven't written a review in what seems like forever, so I may be little rusty.
Let me start off by saying that I having once been a book worm, I haven't so much as touched a book in over a year. So I think Im in a suitable position to say that Im absolutely glad to have started off once more with Between.
Jessica Warman is becoming one of my favorite authors of all time. Her books are mysterious and haunting. They leave you feeling tingly and confused but at the same time satisfied.
Between wa...more
Melissa Cox
I really wanted to love this as the beginning was so incredible. I did really enjoy it but given how long it is I really think it could have done with an ending that felt less rushed. I also figured out the plot twists really early on and I hate that as I find it really distracting to feel like you know what's coming! Still, recommended to those who like a supernatural mystery with a teen friendly edge.
Lúa.
Pues he acabado emocionándome y todo.
(Source: I received a copy of this book as a gift – Thanks Abbie!)
18-year-old Liz wakes in the middle of the night after her 18th birthday party, only to discover her own dead body – yep, she’s dead.
The death is written off as an accident, but Liz can’t remember what happened, and she can’t believe that she would still be hanging around if her death really was an accident.
Together with Alex, another teen ghost who also died in the same town earlier that year, Liz tries to unravel the mystery of...more
Krystle
It took me a long, long time to warm up to this book but when I finally did, wow, it took me for a wild ride.

So, Elizabeth, I dunno ‘bout you but you sure as heck ain’t gonna be one of my buddies. You are selfish, vain, obnoxious, self-centered, and always try to run away from the harsh realities currently facing you making you stuck in a perpetual state of denial. Woman, you need to get a grip. Being rich certainly hasn’t helped you either. She’s the reason I glared or made faces at the book be...more
Charlotte Phillips
One thing that this book does is make you appreciate life. More importantly, its a book that I think all people with eating disoders should read because it opens your eyes to the affect that it has on the world around you, like your friends, family, and just youself in general. The book is very well written with a lot of deep thought provoking emotions that settle into the readers heart and really makes them think about the impact of life and death. What I loved about this book was the fact that...more
FashionDayDreamer
Very boring. I did finish the book, but from the middle onwards I skimmed.

Alex is extremely annoying. He thinks he's God. Always telling Liz off. Making out as if he's never done anything bad in his life.

At first, Liz is just a popular bitch. She's not a bad person, yet Alex treats her as if she's the worst person alive. Towards the end, it's clear that she is a bad person, far beyond the social ranking of high school. Not because she picked on people, or never stopped evident bullying, or sai...more
Inspired Kathy
Thanks to teenreads.com I received a very early sneak peek copy of Jessica Warman's upcoming book Between.

In return I had to fill out a questionnaire with my reaction to the book. I'm not sure if there will be changes made to the book prior to its release later this year. If there are I'm sure they will be minor.

Since I don't want to give out any spoilers I'm just going to say this book is well written and drew me into the story from the first chapter. There is some content that would make me h...more
Abbie
"Between" started out great, and the last fourth of the book was really good. Unfortunately, the middle bit did drag a bit, and felt longer than what it was.
That didn't harm the overall enjoyment of the book that much though.

I really liked how much Liz changed, while trying to solve the mystery.
In the flashbacks, she wasn't a nice person at all. She was bitchy and very selfish.
Though, in the end, it all changed. She started to realize that her actions could have consequences, and popularity wa...more
Emily  (ObsessedReader)
I gave this book 4.5 stars. I was debating between that and 5 stars...but I am a firm believer that if I don't immediately think it deserves 5 stars, then it doesn't. Although it was very very close.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am REALLY looking forward to reading more of Jessica's books! :)
I recommend this book to lovers of Lauren Oliver...Jessica Warman's style of writing is very similar to Oliver's. (which I must say is fantastic)

I will be posting a more in-depth review on my youtube...more
Lightblue
Between
Il libro che avrei voluto scrivere io! (assieme a Remember Me di C. Pike, a cui indubbiamente l'autrice deve molto) Mi è piaciuto tantissimo, contesto solo la scelta della traduzione del titolo (ma che senso ha togliere il titolo originale "Between", per mettere un'altra parola in inglese? Chi non sa cosa vuol dire between non capisce neppure after...) e la foto in copertina che c'entra davvero poco con la storia. Per il resto è un thriller con elementi paranormali che mi ha coinvolta mol...more
Olivia Rauls
One of the main reasons I enjoyed this book was because it wasn't all that it seemed.

A few chapters in, and I had resigned myself to reading another 300+ pages about a vapid, boring dead girl. At one point in the story, it seems like she's genuinely more concerned about the her dead body's state of appearance than how she died or why she's still on earth. Here are just a couple of examples.

He leans forward to peer at me in the water. "You're white. I mean corpse white."
I look at my bare arms. S
♥Kel
I thought this book was absolutely well written. At first it didn't catch my attention because it was so slow, but towards the middle and keep on reading you get into the story and the mystery. The mystery was very well written, very high pace and keeps you reading. The character development was really good and the romance was good. I though its a very good theme, and you learn a great lesson :)
Sašenka
May 31, 2012 Sašenka rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sašenka by: Luu
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
Aj napriek tomu že druhú najväčšiu záhadu som odhalila už v tretinu a tú najväčšiu záhadu som cca od polovice tušila, bola to skvelá kniha. A myslím, že by si ju mal prečítať každý. Skvelé posolstvo o tom, že čokoľvek spravíte má význam a niekomu to môže ublížiť, no k tomu sa pridáva aj trocha o tom, že anorexia, prílišné cvičenie a vina vás môžu zabiť. Ak vás nezabije niekto iný...
Evey
Une héroïne que j'ai eu envie de baffer 3/4 du roman...
une histoire / enquête que j'ai résolu en quelques chapitres et encore...
Grosse déception... Tout le monde ne peut pas être Madame Shepard.
Page (One Book At A Time)
I adore this cover for some reason. It's haunting and goes perfectly well with the impression I got from the description. I had high hopes for this one.

At first, I was afraid it was going to disappointment. The direction the story was taking reminded me a lot of Some Girls Are and it wasn't giving me the same need to read drive. Liz was pretty and popular, but it turned out that she also wasn't very nice. Or more along that lines that she had some friends who were downright mean and she did noth...more
Lena ♫ ♪
When I originally picked this up, I saw the release date and thought "Oh no, I need to read this soon". What I wasn't expecting was to find a novel so engaging and addicting to the point where I simply could not put it down. It's no joke- For fans of Before I Die and The Lovely Bones, you're in for quite a treat.

While Between does focus on the subject of love, there really isn't a lot of romance in it. It's more about a love a father has for his daughter, the love soulmates share, and the love...more
Christie
Elizabeth Valchar has it all: looks, popularity, a boyfriend who loves her, a best friend who is also her step-sister. On the night of her eighteenth birthday, Liz wakes up to a new reality: she’s dead. That’s not a spoiler, by the way – we find know this by page 6.

Jessica Warman’s YA novel Between is a curious hybrid. It’s part mystery (I really found myself flipping those pages to see what had happened to Liz), part social commentary, part ghost story and part teen drama.

When Liz ‘wakes up’ an...more
Hilda
Elizabeth Valchar had everything. Loving family, perfect boyfriend, cool friends, and never-ending cash. Plus, she’s practically the queen who rules the school. Liz is the rich and spoiled girl who is used to have everything served to her on silver platter. However, she has a dirty secret. And now she’s dead. No one knows the cause of her death. It may be an accident… or not.

Liz wakes up in the morning of her eighteenth birthday and finds out that she’s dead. Outraged and bewildered, she can’t b...more
  • Going Underground
  • Popular
  • Dark Souls
  • Stay with Me
  • What Comes After
Jessica Warman is the author of Breathless, which received three starred reviews and was an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, and Where the Truth Lies. The idea for Between came from an incident in her childhood, when a local boy went missing after a party on a yacht (he was eventually found, alive).
More about Jessica Warman...
Breathless  Beautiful Lies Where the Truth Lies The Last Good Day of the Year Hazard Yet Forward

“I realise now that I wanted to disappear. To get so lost that nobody ever found me. To go so far away that I'd never be able to make my way home again. But I have no idea why.” 102 likes
“A person’s character, I realize, is never black-and-white. There is so much gray.” 33 likes