Start by marking “This Is How It Happened (not a love story)” as Want to Read:
This Is How It Happened (not a love story)

This Is How It Happened (not a love story)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  479 ratings  ·  99 reviews
He lied, he cheated. He destroyed her life.

How difficult could killing him be?

Madeline Piatro devoted four years of her life to her boyfriend Carlton - and, in return, got romance, flowers, and the best sex she'd ever had. But then he dumped her - by e-mail, no less. He used her, he broke her heart...and he even cost her the marketing job she dearly loved. Now Maddy's on a
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about This Is How It Happened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is How It Happened

Jun 01, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ladies
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Mary Jo Evans
The brownies on the cover of this book were very appropriate. It was a like eating a pan of brownies... I sat down to read a little of it, and I ended up consuming the entire thing in under two hours.
The book was somewhere between over the top funny and depressingly sad. The over the top funny stuff was great, and in context, didn't seem all that over the top! The depressingly sad part came from having to watch PAINFULLY while an extremely intelligent woman made all of the really obviously stup
I enjoyed this book, and parts were laugh out loud funny! The story rotates back and forth between Maddy's love affair with Carlton and the aftermath of their breakup. Maddy was more intelligent than Carlton but yet he was able to manipulate her throughout and after their relationship. I was frustrated with her as she always capitulated to him, and I couldn't decide if it was because she was simply naive or was overwhelmed by getting the good-looking, charming guy no matter the flaws. Anyway, th ...more
When you get dumped, it's natural to want to strike back. But when the dumper is your fiance who promised to love you "forever," and the father of your unborn child, and the co-founder of the company you pretty much single-handedly built, AND he does the break-up by e-mail, your desire to extract revenge will be exponentially higher.

Madeline Piatro is having trouble getting over her break-up with the perfect man. So she hires a perfect man of her own -- a hit man. Full of unexpected revelations
Madeline Piatro has just broken up with her fiancé of four years. Or so she was led to believe by the handsome to-die-for Carlton Connors. See, Carlton never told anyone they were engaged, and when he found out Madeline is pregnant, he wants her to have an abortion. And if that isn't bad enough, she loses the baby, he cheats on her at a bachelor party, breaks up with her, fires her from the company they came up with and claims all her ideas as his own.

Now Madeline wants to get even and may resor
Lady Ozma
There are not enough stars for this book. It was downright awesome.

I've had some friends that fall into the scorned lover category. And you might hear "hell hath no fury" and I am here to say... that's an understatement. Women get downright vindictive and they are creative about it.

Men, take the warning. And live in fear.

He was your typical jerkwad pretty boy. Thinks he can have it all. Treats her like trash. Possibly gives her an STD. Steals her business. Cheats on her. And then dumps her and
This enormously entertaining book begins with Madeline Piatro baking poisoned brownies, which she plans to give (anonymously) to her ex-fiancee, Carlton. Unfortunately, Maddy can't resist trying the brownies herself (well, who could?) and, rather than delivering them to the intended recipient, spends the rest of the day throwing up.

So why does Maddy want Carlton dead?

To read the rest of this review, please visit Trashionista
An amusing, fluffy read. Who doesn't want to read about how a creative, high-functioning, smarty-pants woman (who turned a few too many blind eyes) exacts painful revenge on the ex who did her dirty in so many ways? The ending was a bit too perfect, but then again, when a woman gets burned like Maddy Piatro was burned, I suppose she deserves a too-perfect ending. I'm betting there'll be a movie before too long.
If you have ever given your all to a lover, only to be betrayed in the most hurtful of ways, this book may be for you!

Madeline is taken in by a man's good looks, some great sex, and a lot of promises only to be betrayed by him. However, after a period of crying and whining our stalwart heroine decides that she will seek revenge upon the evil boyfriend. Her first two attempts nearly took her out. You need to read the book to find out how successful she was in exacting her revenge.

Overall, I enjoy
Plucking this unprepossessing book off the shelf, I didn't hold out high expectations. But Reader, I loved it! It's a delicious serve of revenge on a cad and all round rotten guy, one Carlton Connors. The story begins with Maddy plotting ways to remove her ex-fiancee and former business partner from the face of the earth. She's in a complete funk not only because Carlton's dumped her for the cantaloupe-breasted Nathalie, but he's also outmanoeuvred her from their joint business venture - whose i ...more
Akhir-akhir ini saya tidak begitu tertarik lagi membaca chicklit. Bagi saya toh, plotnya selalu sama. Kecuali mungkin untuk beberapa penulis, Sophie Kinsella dan Meg Cabot misalnya, rasanya chick lit ya ceritanya bakal begitu saja. Tapi buku yang satu ini benar-benar berbeda.

Madeline Piatro, seorang wanita cerdas yang ditinggalkan begitu saja oleh Carlton, pacarnya. Yang paling menyakitkan, si pacar mencampakkan Madeline begitu saja setelah apa yang telah dilakukan Madeline untuk mereka berdua.
Leap Before You Look.
- Madeline
Would Carlton feel the pain, I wondered? It was worth a try.
- Madeline
Better to lead a fast life, die young, and look good in your coffin.
- Forest Connors
If life gives you lemons, put on a party dress and go out for cocktails?
- Madeline
There is great power in letting go.
- Ronnie
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
- Old Polish proverb
Life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.
- Deuteronomy
Don’t take vengeance and don’t bear a grudge against
I was wondering why this had so many sex bits in it, then looked up the author and noticed she mostly does shirtless men books. I really didn't care about the back story with Carlton--I kept skimming through those chapters. It consistently ping-ponged back and forth between Then and Now, until the past caught up with the present and I was confused because she had set up a pattern and then broke it, but it wasn't super obvious. Huh. Anyway, not for me.
You have to love a book that starts with someone baking a batch of revenge arsenic brownies, testing it on themselves and ending up being sick. Seriously - who does that? So, from the start you know this will be a rather cute/fluffy book designed to appeal to the woman scorned but who still has a sense of humor.

Maddy veers from being annoyingly dumb (with her big powerful lawyer friend Michael around, she never got a real contract for Organics 4 Kids?) to cleverly vengeful. However, between thos
Yang paling asyik di buku ini adalah setengah buku ke belakang. Mengapa? Karena di awal2nya buku ini menyebalkan banget membaca berulang2 mengenai keinginan Madeline untuk membalas dendam pada mantan 'tunangannya' Carlton. Berbagai macam cara dibahas malah akhirnya mencelakakan Madeline sendiri. Depresi banget deh. Untung akhirnya keadaan beralih.

Buku ini gaya berceritanya juga back-forward menceritakan masa2 depresi Madeline sekarang setelah diputuskan by email oleh Carlton dan masa2 'bahagia'
Helene Harrison
Review - The characters could have been stronger, as they did seem a bit half-arsed, with all the effort gone into the storyline. That's what let it down for me. I really love the Little Black Dress Books - they're really good for just a quick, light read. They're concise and funny and all the authors who write them seem to have a knack for writing well and making something serious funny. In this case, Barrett makes revenge into an art. Revenge doesn't have to be deadly (like rat poison in brown ...more
Highly entertaining story about Madeline , Smart , Sexy and honest to a fault, she’s been with Carlton, who is (Sex aside) really unwilling to do the right thing , after four years of an almost perfect Relationship, lots of Sex and starting a Company together , he cheats , then break’s up with Madeline , by email . A very battered Madeline vows to give him a taste of what he deserves and plans to kill him . Unsuccessful , she decided to hire a hit man , Dick (who likes cookies) to set him straig ...more
A departure from the usual romantic chick is a breakup story, involving lots of sweet revenge along the way. It's not highbrow stuff, and is often fairly predictable, but I enjoyed it.
Darlene Payne
It took a while for me to get into this one, but once I did I was hooked. Very good story - it's great to read about someone who gets what's coming to them!
This is a funny novel about moving on. And while it did drag a little in the middle there was enough twists and turns to keep it interesting and once stuff starts happening at the end it’s quite fun. My only other complaint was that the author switches back and forth each chapter in time as Maddy flashes back to tell the story of her relationship, it was ok at first, but then the time sequence got a little confusing at the end as past becomes present.

Would be a fun movie. I’m interested in readi
Jen Bruggeman
3.8. I think I really liked it, but it wasn't a romance or a mystery-still trying to place it.
Anna Tulley
I expected this to be lighter but it fooled me.

This was a very strange love story and I've enjoyed it immensely although Madeline freaked me out sometimes! She tried to get over her relationship, using some unusual methods and managed to get her sweet revenge in the end.

As for Carlton,i never disliked a character so much in a book, EVER! I wish i could get my hands on him... He was a major ass but then again, he got what he deserved.

This story was full of angst and emotional frustration,but we
A nice, fun read.
Aug 06, 2011 Rory rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Ini novel memang JAGOAN. BAru kali ini saya baca novel "cewek" yg tokohnya nggak cengeng, mantap. Terlebih, yang paling saya suka, penulisnya seperti benar-benar tahu apa dan bagaimana itu seorang wanita karier yang cerdas! Saya jadi pengen bikin usaha kayak Maddy juga nih, hehe...

Ternyata ini salah satu novel LBD ya? Little Black Dress. Memang nggak semua novel LBD bagus sih, tapi Esensi sdh cukup cermat memilih yang ini. Semoga Seri Kejutan Cinta yang lain juga sama bagusnya atau lebih bagus :
This book was a wonderful escape read for me, set in Austin with places I know prominent and a strong, smart, funny protagonist. I don't even particularly relate to the revenge theme, and haven't been taken advantage of by men like Carlton, but the presentation was so good that the book just really worked for me. It made me care what happened to Maddy and it made me actually laugh. this book is not deep, maybe a little outrageous depending on your life experience, but for me, delightful.
i loved this book. it was funny, i was engaged with the characters, and the plot was great. i can't wait to read her next book.
Melissa Torres
Overall I enjoyed this book however it built up a little too much and then didn't really go anywhere. I liked that it flip-floped back and forth between past and present but it wasn't really clear when it had caught up and explained the whole past and was in the present. I was still waiting for a big event that pushed everything over the edge. But all in all it was a good read. There were some really funny parts and I enjoyed the characters.
You know, I liked this book. Same old formulaic ending (SPOILER.... ahead......)

she gets the guy.....

But really otherwise this was a good book. From the best friend a southern sorority girl trying to convert to Judaism prior to the birth of her child to the rotten to the core ex the characters are much better done than standard chick lit. And frankly the heroine gets over the guy, by herself, in a unique and fun way.
Just - The romance reader
Not as great as "Don't Let It Be True" but a decent read. The main character Madeline Piatro is witty, neurotic, and overall pretty amusing. If you're in the midst of a break up or just feeling rather blah about men, you might feel better after you read this, or you might come away with some ideas for how to make yourself feel better, or atleast ideas on how to make the guy you're unhappy with feel
I just started this book and it's making me laugh already!!! Especially when she tries eating the poison brownies and gets sick from it and then goes outside to find out that she has killed a raccoon with her poison brownies--which were really meant for her ex-boyfriend! I hope the whole book keeps me laughing because right now I can understand the desire to maybe make the exboyfriend throw up a few times! ;o)
Liked this but not as much as I thought I might. The set-up is that Maddy is determined to get revenge on the boyfriend who stole her heart and her company and who eventually hires a hitman/avenger to do the deeds. But while amusing, it takes a long while to get there. Much of the first half of the book is Maddy being mad and/or depressed and slowly revealing what went wrong with the ex. Good but not great.
  • I Take This Man
  • All She Wants
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Honey Trap
  • The Thing About Jane Spring
  • Not Quite A Mom
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Lost for Words
  • Dangerous Admissions: Secrets of a Closet Sleuth (Closet Sleuth #1)
  • The Bright Side Of Disaster
  • Muhammad
  • Joy of Cooking: All About Pasta & Noodles
  • Frank Stitt's Southern Table: Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highlands Bar and Grill
  • Fancy White Trash
  • Sweet Ruin
  • The Marrying Game
  • It's About Your Husband
  • Kingsolver Fiction Collection Four-Book Set (Pigs in Heaven, Bean Trees, Poisonwood Bible, Prodigal Summer)
Jo currently resides in North Carolina with her patient and supportive family while she juggles her writing career and her position as a programmer analyst. She has won numerous awards and continues to write whenever she can. Someday, she hopes to take off her programming hat and write full time. So many of her dreams have already come true. What's one more?
More about Jo Barrett...