Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes & Tales of Terror and Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes & Tales of Terror and Mystery
Preview

The Complete Sherlock Holmes & Tales of Terror and Mystery (Sherlock Holmes)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  3,362 ratings  ·  27 reviews
OVERVIEW

This collection bring together Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Tales of Terror and Mystery along with ALL the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels all in a single, convenient, high quality, but extremely low priced Kindle volume!

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES

A STUDY IN SCARLET
PART I
PART 2

THE SIGN OF FOUR

THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
A SCANDAL IN BOHEMIA
Published (first published January 28th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Sherlock Holmes & Tales of Terror and Mystery

Hillary
Being a huge fan of the BBC series, I decided it was tie to read the stories it was based on. Since this is a compilation of several novels and short stories, I've decided to add to this review as I finish stories.

A Study in Scarlet - 4 stars:
I was really surprised by how easy this was to read. I was expecting it to be dull and difficult to read; instead I stayed up late finishing it - I couldn't put it down! I especially enjoyed how Doyle told the story from the point of view of the victim and
Danny M
Oct 07, 2012 Danny M rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE INTERESTED IN MYSTERY
Recommended to Danny by: BOOK CLUB
WHEN I WAS 17 YEARS OLD, MANY YEARS AGO, I STARTED TO READ THIS BOOK AND IMMEDIATELY LOST INTEREST. PERHAPS I WAS TOO YOUNG TO APPRECIATE THE USE OF THE PROPER ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I ALWAYS REGRETTED NOT FINISHING THE BOOK AND DECIDED TO TRY AGAIN. I OWN A HARD COPY AND ALSO HAVE COPY OF THE BOOK ON MY NOOK. I READ THIS BOOK ON THE NOOK WHICH WAS GIVEN TO ME AS A GIFT. I PREFER A HARD COPY, BUT IN THIS CASE, BECAUSE OF ALL THE SHORT STORIES THE NOOK WAS PERFECT.

I RECENTLY PICKED UP THE BOOK AND BEC
Kathi-sass
Doyle is a brilliantly inventive writer, as it turns out, both in the Holmes stories and in the Tales of Terror and Mystery, which I enjoyed very much. I actually enjoyed the short stories more, because the four novels did sometimes drag a little in the middle (and the flashbacks ... no no.).
Times have moved on a little in terms of writing style, as his way of presenting a story seems a little outdated now and then, and a couple of the stories had pretty sudden and rushed endings. But that is al
Tom
I promised myself I would finish this mammoth book before the calendar year was up. It didn't take that long, and given the subject matter I did put it down more than a few times, but I did it.

So, how was it? Sherlock Holmes is a rather fascinating character, a man who can pick up the tiniest of clues in the smallest of places and know everything there is to know. With that in mind, the longer the stories go, the less charming they are. Early Holmes work is better than later Holmes work, and eve
Zimt
I always wanted to read Sherlock Holmes, but when I looked into Doyle's Bibliography I found out about the impossible large size of his Sherlock Holmes Stories. I was always someone to read works in their proper order and by sheer luck came across this Complete Collection for 99 cent.
When you can excuse the absence of Doyle's uncompleted Sherlock Holmes Stories and works from/with co-workers, mostly short-stories, essays and vignettes and play adaptations (all those are only a couple of works) t
edifanob
Aug 15, 2013 edifanob marked it as to-read
Shelves: my-books
I watched a lot of Sherlock Holmes movies and TV series but I never read an original story by Arthur Conan Doyle.
When I saw this edition over at Amazon I could not resist to buy it for the incredible price of 0,99 EUR.

I will read the stories in order of appearance in this digital edition. That will take some time. Therefore I decided to add a comment for every story I finish.

A STUDY IN SCARLET
First published in 1887 it does not sound out of order. There are a few words which don't use nowadays.
Justin
I had a highly abridged collection of Sherlock Holmes tales as a young lad, and I can now safely say that they don't hold a candle to the complete works. I was left with that special sadness one feels when losing a long time friend upon completion of these stories. I had to stop reading for a tick before carrying on to "Tales Of Terror And Mystery."

The tales at the end are great, but the Sherlock Holmes stories are the real gold here. Each "singular" tale is fantastic in its own special way. I
bob
Salutes and mystery lovers

Salutes and mystery lovers

a really good read that of course be takeni in small doses. I read it off and on for about a year. it is also interesting when compared to the new Sherlock on amazon prime.
Richard Gumiran
Sherlock Holmes Fan

this is a very great book of Sherlock Holmes stories. I enjoy the style of writing of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and all of his written stories of Sherlock Holmes adventure in solving crimes.
Phoebe Marvelcomics
A classic for a reason, I can't believe I've never read Sherlock Holmes before now.
Joy
Sherlock Holmes is unstoppable, and always entertaining
Kerry
I can finally say that I have read the Sherlock Holmes canon: All 56 short stories and 4 novels. In this collection, they are presented in order of publication. I had thought that I had read more of the original Doyle stories than I actually had. I was pleasantly surprised. The originals are much better than I expected them to be. I had a great time. Now if I can only figure out the chronological order of the stories . . . And I am not even going to mention Dr. Watson's personal live . . . Sherl ...more
L.Y. Levand
It took me forever...but I finally finished it. Watching the writing change from story to story was very interesting, to say the least. I'd read The Hound of the Baskervilles before, and I have to say that it remains my favorite, although I did really like the short stories at the end. They didn't have Sherlock Holmes in them, which surprised me, but they were very interesting and I really liked them anyway. I will read this again, I'm sure of it!
Catherine
I really enjoyed reading the Sherlock Holmes collection over the last year and a half. I enjoyed both the short stories and novels. The last section, The Tales of Terror and Mystery were quite different from the rest of the stories. Over all very enjoyable. The short stories started blend together after a while, as they were the same premise many times over. Dr. Watson is one of my favorite literary characters.
Michael
Finally finished! Holy.crap. It took me about 6 months to read through the almost 1900 pages of this collection. It was worth it though - the Sherlock Holmes stories are pretty entertaining and Doyle's other tales of mystery & terror were suitably creepy. Definitely worth having around to read every now and then.
Lisa
This is my current go-to as I'm heading off to sleep. I read a story or two as I work on longer novels or non-fiction books. Got interested after watching the BBC Sherlock series - excellent fun (highly recommend the show)! It's really fun to read the story that each episode is loosely based on.
Anna [Floanne]
Letti in altre edizioni:
1) Uno studio in rosso ***
2) Il segno dei quattro **

Steve

I hadn't read these stories in a while and it was fun to revisit them. They were familiar both because I remembered them somewhat and because the plots have been used again and again. Worth a re-read.
Jack Poole
this is a great collection. You certaily learn things about holmes that you may not expect, like his coke habit. I always wanted to read the collection and when it was only 2.99 on the nook, why not!
Susan
Every couple of years I reread the entire Sherlock Holmes "canon" and I enjoy it every time. a.c. Doyle was a fantastic story teller/ plotter, as well as creator of such a fascinating character.
Fran Sims
I am very glad to have finally read these stories. As a fan of crime fiction and detective mysteries, I was fascinated by the modern ideas that ACD had and put into these!
Dave Purvis
I love Sherlock Holmes, and seeing the BBC series made me need to re-read them. The Complete Sherlock Holmes is awesome, but the tales of terror weren't quite as good.
Heather Domin
I reviewed each of the titles separately as I read them; this is the actual copy I own. Definitely worth 99 cents for the table of contents alone.
Kipi
I am fascinated by Holmes' thought processes and the skill that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had to create such a character.
Naomi
As of now, I've decided not to read Doyle's 'Tales of Terror and Mystery'. Maybe if I'm really bored one day.
Sara Richards
Dec 26, 2011 Sara Richards is currently reading it
Shelves: own
Since it was only $.99 on Amazon Kindle, I decided to read it now. Awesome!
Andres
interesting!!!
  • The Complete Works of Charles Dickens (with commentary, plot summaries, and biography on Dickens)
  • The Brontë Collection
  • The Jeeves Collection: Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves / The Inimitable Jeeves / Carry On, Jeeves
  • The Innocence and Wisdom of Father Brown
  • The Noon God
  • The Value of Life
  • Ransom X (A Legacy Mystery #1)
  • The Breaking Point
  • The Walking Dead #113
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy
  • Project Daedalus
  • H.G. Wells Collection, Over 50 Works: The War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, Time Machine, Island of Dr. Moreau, Little Wars, World Set Free, Tales of Space and Time, When the Sleeper Wakes & MORE!
  • Viskleken (Opcop, #1)
  • Poems: Three Series, Complete
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Sherlock Holmesin Seikkailuja I
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol 2

“Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.” “But the Solar System!” I protested.” 1 likes
“It was magnificent,” he said, as he took his seat. “Do you remember what Darwin says about music? He claims that the power of producing and appreciating it existed among the human race long before the power of speech was arrived at. Perhaps that is why we are so subtly influenced by it. There are vague memories in our souls of those misty centuries when the world was in its childhood.” 0 likes