Start by marking “The Tale of Tricky Fox” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Tricky Fox
Preview

The Tale of Tricky Fox

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Old Fox uses his sack to trick everyone he meets into giving him ever more valuable items.
Published March 1st 2001 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Tricky Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Tricky Fox

Fox by Margaret WildThe Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix PotterThe Tomten and the Fox by Astrid LindgrenRosie's Walk by Pat HutchinsMy Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza
Picture books about foxes
18th out of 91 books — 23 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderRamona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
Books for seven-year-olds
427th out of 445 books — 180 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie Fleming
"The Tale of Tricky Fox" tells the tale of how a teacher made foxes realize the should respect humans instead of trying to trick them. Tricky Fox tells his brother that he can trick a human into giving him a pig. So Tricky Fox sets out with a sack with a log instead. He asks a lady if he could stay the night and tricks her into giving her a loaf of broad to replace his log. This goes on and on from the bread into a chicken and then the chicken in turn for a pig. But instead of getting a pig, the ...more
Gwen the Librarian
This is a classic and old-fashioned tale of a tricky fox - reminiscent of Brer Fox - who wants to get the better of some humans and get a pig in the process. Engagingly told with great vocabulary and some rhyming songs, this would make a great read-aloud. I always enjoy Barbara McClintock's old-fashioned and beautifully rendered illustrations.
Michael Fitzgerald
I noticed a Sendak-like quality to some of the fox pictures, but was informed by a note at the end that the real inspiration for both McClintock and Sendak was Wilhelm Busch.
babyhippoface
Not sure whether it's that Tricky Fox is really that tricky or just that the people he meets are slow on the uptake. Thank goodness for a clever teacher who gives him a taste of his own medicine.

I think this is my favorite kind of trickster tale, where the trickster gets tricked. (Serves him right.) McClintock's watercolor, ink, and gouache illustrations are incredibly detailed, and the image toward the end of the two foxes gawking at the bulldog cracks me up.

I'm planning to use this American t
Jess
Mar 30, 2012 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jess by: Mom
Tricky Fox bets his brother that he can trick a human into giving him a pig.

So, gotta be honest. I didn't think would work well as a readloud. It's a bit long and the illustrations look, well, old & not kid friendly. Totally thought I was going to lower my head and push through. So why'd I try? Someone I trust (my mom!) recommended it to me & found it on several readloud lists. What is life but an opportunity to try things out?

Totally worked. Yeah. Entirely. I had the attention of each
Jamie Davis
Vicki
I just love how Jim Aylesworth retells old tales. The old timey illustrations fit perfectly.

Repetitive phrase and a tricky fox are great for this story.
MsLISt
A great read aloud with predictable rhythm, esp for teachers because it's a teacher who outsmarts the fox. The humor at the end is fun too!
Jason
Poor behavior abounds and is, in some respects, applauded. The book opens as a teacher reading a story to her class. The story is about a fox who gets along in life through deceit. He ends up tricking a few people until he meets a teacher. All the people he tricks lie to him, so they are not sympathetic. He tricks the teacher as well (like the others, the trick only works because she also lies to him), but because—as the book says—teachers are smarter (but apparently not more honest) than normal ...more
Michael
One of my and my daughter's favorites. His song is just too sassy!
Mrs. Jourdan
First tale I share during our trickster tale unit.
Donna
What's not to love when the trickster gets tricked!
Sophia
I really liked it. My little brother loved it too!
595AJ_NikkiHuske
Alas, the fox fooled many, but was in the end taught a valuable lesson by a teacher. She won't be fooled by any trickster's wise antics. This trickster tale has expressive characters that are engaging and humorous.

This a great book to use as a read aloud in a primary classroom. With its repetition and rhyme, young readers are sure to chime along as this book is read over and over. Those who are fans of the Gingerbread Man will become fans of this book too. Especially with a cookie recipe on the
Jackie
Tricky Fox thinks he is very tricky...but, he can fool some of the humans some of the time, but not every one! Nightly, as he creeps up to cottages, he tricks the residents into replacing the 'lost' contents of his bag, that is until he reaches the cottage of one smart teacher, who has a few tricks of her own!

The Tale of Tricky Fox is short and to-the-point in this tale of consequences. The illustrations are gorgeous and the lesson is right on point.
Jennifer Bryant
I love reading this book to students. It flows very nicely and is very entergetic. Tricky Fox tricks many people throughout the story. You can ask student throughout the book what they think will happen next. There is song-like part of this book that comes up every now and then. Students can sing along to these few lines with the reader.
Dolly
Jul 14, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about a clever fox who is a little too clever for his own good. The story is great for younger audiences, with a repetitive storyline. And the illustrations are wonderfully old fashioned. We really enjoyed the ending!

There's a simple cookie recipe on the back cover, too!
Janet
My kids and I loved the illustrations and the funny trickster tale with a surprise ending. We chose this book because we had just seen the Wes Anderson movie of Dahl's "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and were in the mood for more dapper, clever vulpine antiheroes. Tricky Fox did not disappoint!
Emily Goodin
This book was very inventive and kids would love it! I loved how the story played out! It could spark a conversation about how tricking people and bragging are both wrong things to do. Kids would be very interested in this book and I think it would be appropriate for grades 2-5.
Patricia
Tricky Fox bets his brother he can trick any human into giving him a pig but he doesn't realize he is dealing with a teacher who is just as clever. This book has the look and feel of books from my childhood which gave it some of its appeal to me. A great trickster story.
Victoria Dimmitt
I love reading this book to children. The wacky fox who sings his song about trickery throughout the woods always has students laughing. While very entertaining, this book has a great lesson in it about what happens to you if you try to trick people.
Wanda
I would love to hear this story read by a professional story teller or dramatic reading. I read it to my 2 1/2 year old, and I don't think he was too impressed, but it is the kind of story that could captivate an audience if read "right".
Tara
READ-ALOUD READ ALOUD READ ALOUD. I loved this book. It kept you guessing. i loved how they threw in the part about not being able to fool the teacher at the end of it. It was a great book I will have to go buy it myself.
Katelyn Warner
* Tells people not to look i the bag, but they do and he tricks them into giving him stuff.
* One lady looks in the bag and tricks him b putting a bulldog in his sack
* Good, long, students find it funny
* K-2 library
Bonnie Pohlig
What a sly fox! Very enjoyable trickery, and he's the cutest fox I've ever seen. Loved it all, except for the ending, which I thought could have been more reasonable.
Beth
The trickster fox gets tricked by the school teacher. He wanted a pig, but instead found an angry dog instead.
Lilsisclips
Respecting a teachers insight... A teacher knows more than you may think!
595AJ_Lourdes Ryczek
Cute children's folktale has a twist that validates teachers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jim Aylesworth was born in Jacksonville, Florida but as an infant moved from the state. He lived in many places during his childhood: Alabama, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas... but by the time Aylesworth was 15 his family had settled in Hinsdale, Illinois and that is where he graduated from high school in 1961.

In 1965, he graduated from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio with a B.A. in English.
More about Jim Aylesworth...
Goldilocks and the Three Bears The Gingerbread Man The Mitten Old Black Fly My Grandfather's Coat