Start by marking “Remember the Sweet Things: One List, Two Lives, and Twenty Years of Marriage” as Want to Read:
Remember the Sweet Things: One List, Two Lives, and Twenty Years of Marriage

Remember the Sweet Things: One List, Two Lives, and Twenty Years of Marriage

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  53 reviews
For twenty years, Ellen Greene kept a running list of the thoughtful, funny, touching things that her husband, Marsh, said and did. She wrote them down secretly, then shared them with him every Valentine’s Day when he would find pages from her “Sweet Things List” tucked inside a card.

A lovely and poignant tribute to a man and a marriage, written with grace and candor, Reme
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Remember the Sweet Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remember the Sweet Things

Penny Kennedy
Aug 08, 2014 Penny Kennedy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newlyweds,married,
I adored thus book. I just wanted to share my letter to the author. Great, easy read, a wonderful gift for newlyweds. Ellen Greene Remember the Sweet Things  One List, Two Lives, and Twenty Years of Marriage by Ellen Greene

Ellen,
Rarely does a book impact my life as much as yours has, with the exception of the Bible. I have purchased 20 copies of your book to give to our 2 daughters, ages 25 and 19, as well as many other dear friends. If I could locate more copies, I would purchase at least 30 more. God's provision had it that I would find you book at the Dollar Tree, while searching f
Marnie
I got this recommendation out of the now defunct Hallmark magazine. I feel badly giving it 2 stars because it is a true story and it is a very sweet and endearing one about a couple who found each other after both had been married, had kids, and divorced. Watching them truly appreciate each other was refreshing. The takeaway of appreciating someone and making sure to take note of it is worthy of 5 stars. I was just bored for most of it.
Barb
I know the author of this book, which made it even more fun to read. I think she did an excellent job of being honest about herself as well as her husband. She really inspired me to take stock of the good things in life, before they are gone!
Ines Norton
Gostei, leitura leve para o Verão e uma história de amor como qualquer mulher desejaria viver. A maim tocou-me mais a conviência com o cuidar de uma pessoa que se ama e cuja mente se degenera rápidamente, pois convivo com isso na pessoa da minha mãe e sei como é duro vermos alguém que gostamos a perder as suas faculdades mentais... Recomendo....

------------

I Liked it, althought there are sad moments in the story, still it was a light read, and the kind of love story that every woman liked to liv
Heather
Great story of a marriage and the transformations of two people, with some wonderful traveling thrown in. Easy to read and a good reminder to appreciate our loved ones for the very reasons we chose to be with them.
Mishel Zabala
"Remember the Sweet Things" is really a list that Ellen started when she first married her husband. Marsh didn't do extraordinarily sweet things on a daily basis, but Ellen found most things he did were in fact endearing and sweet enough to jot down. Each year she would then share her list in a Valentine's Day Card for Marsh to read.
The book then goes into detail about Ellen's life before Marsh, how the two met, their marriage, and life after "happily ever after". It is obvious that Ellen loved
Margarida Cruz
Uma autêntica preciosidade. Não encontro outras palavras para descrever este pequeno, mas ao mesmo tempo grande, livro! A verdade é que é pequeno em tamanho, mas grande na mensagem que nos transmite.

Ellen Greene faz-nos acreditar que o amor verdadeiro não existe apenas nos contos de fadas ou nos romances de ficção que lemos no dia-a-dia. Ele existe na realidade. E a autora viveu-o como num lindo conto de fadas, contando-nos as suas experiências mais românticas, os gestos mais carinhosos que o c
Lachelle
Wow... what a wonderful testament to love late in life as well as a great long love letter to Marsh. I'm a memoir junkie anyways and always love a good romance story, but this was truly wonderful. I enjoyed reading about the good and the bad times but how, as a couple, they were able to keep things together. And such a great guy! The things that man did for his wife in order to be a great husband the second time around just astonished me. He was a great man with a great sense of humor. I found m ...more
This is a true testament to what love is about. It is about the need to be authentic, selfless and committed. While at times I found passages boring and glided quickly through them, it was the entries that describe the feelings, sensations and emotions of their life together that grabbed me. This book made me realise how precious life is and that there is always more I can do to show my partner, friends and family how much they mean to me.
I bawled my eyes out in the end, reading about Marsh and
Renie
This book has reaffirmed my commitment to record humorous phrases and events on my wall calendars as a method if memory keeping.
Mandy
Memoir. I picked this book up during my engagement, because I liked the idea of keeping track of all the good things in a relationship. I finally got around to reading it just after my 2nd Anniversary. It's a beautiful story of two people that had really bad first marriages and how that made them super grateful for a second marriage that was full of love. There was a lot of travel discussed too--mainly Shanghai, various islands, and Mexico. As I love reading about good healthy marriages, and rea ...more
Trisha
I like the idea of keeping a list of endearing memories about your significant other but I didn't really like the book. I don't think the writer does enough describing the day to day to show her late husband's "sweetness." A lot of chapters were just plain boring and came off as bragging about her extravagant trips and lifestyle.
I don't intend to keep a sweet things list like this author did, but this was a timely read for me because I could do a much better job of expressing my love and gratitude toward all the people in my life.
Lisa
(Non-fiction Memoir- Marriage) For twenty years, Ellen Greene presented her husband Marsh with a list of all the sweet things he did every single Valentine's day. They lived an adventurous life sailing and building a house in Mexico. This book inspired me to treasure each day with my husband and make more of an effort to take note of the sweet things he blesses me with every day. I recommend this book for those who enjoy marriage memoirs. This book could even be a great gift for a engagement par ...more
Jodi
This was a very heartfelt loving story about a woman and her twenty years of marriage. It was a tribute to her marriage as well as her husband. I really enjoyed this book and can see where making a list of little things that our spouses do or our children would really help to get through the tough times. I started a journal for my child and have always tried to write funny things that happen. I am so glad I started that in addition to the baby book. I cant wait to share all the memories througho ...more
Shelli
I enjoyed this book insofar as it made me think and make some of my own personal goals. I wasn't a big fan of Ellen, which is sad since it's her voice you hear the whole book. But I adore Marsh. What a nice man.

It seems to me this relationship is the kind that frustrates me in the movies, where the kind-hearted guy is inexplicably drawn to the feminist woman whose life revolves 90% around herself and 10% around him.

Whatever.

I'm doing my own list now, so I have El to thank for it.
Ilana Waters
This author���s tribute to her husband makes me believe that the type of guy I���d like to marry really DOES exist! And what a wonderful wife she was to remind him, for years, how much he meant to her. A lesson to all of us to appreciate the little, daily ways we adore one another. See if you can get through this book without at least ONE box of tissues. I dare you ;-)
christina
A very touching personal history wrapped around some inspired lists. When I first heard the author's story I resolved to keep a list like hers myself and it turns out that it's a lot trickier than it seems. I don't lack for material so much as a memory! The author has a real knack for capturing quiet, sparkling moments that animate a full and interesting life.
Destinee Sutton
A very sweet book. Maybe a little too sweet, but it certainly took the edge off of rush hour traffic. I listened to the audiobook--speaking of which, the narrator pronounced "Vallarta," as in Puerto Vallarta, VA-LAR-TA and it drove me crazy. I actually yelled at the CD "VIE-YAR-TA! VIE-YAR-TA! God bless it!" multiple times. Other than that, I enjoyed it.
Kristie J.
Sweet book, more of a memoir than a list. Pleasant, quick read. Proof that the best years of your life can start after 40 and you can stay happy and appreciative years into a marriage. Encourages me to look forward to sweet times together in my own marriage which is just beginning.
Catherine
The man described in this book seems too good to be true, but aside from that, this is a sweet love story, very readable, and a nice escape. Perhaps we could all benefit from focusing on the good things we do for each other, instead of what isn't done or said.
Skye
This was a selection for my book club, I"m sure i would not have picked it up otherwise. I'm glad I did - I enjoyed this book, the author and her husband had a really wonderful life together. It was a good education - albeit a sad one - on Parkinsons.
Nancy
True love story. Author writes down everything nice, funny, kind, etc. thing that her husband does and compiles a yearly list to give to him on Valentine's Day. After his death from Parkinson's, she writes the story of their life. Lovely life.
Heidi
A non-fiction tale of two soul-mates who genuinely cherished each other. Wonderful premise but overall the book was boring. In a sentence, jot down the kind things your loved one does for you so you never forget to cherish those moments.
Pat
Very interesting book, For 20 years, the author, Ellen Greene keeps a list of sweet and thoughtful things her husband does throughout the year. Each Valentine's Day she gives him the list for all the sweet things he does.
Todd
Very moving and a brisk read. Ellen and her beloved husband Marsh's lives are great...
she remembers his passing through lists she maintained during his life of all the big and small things that she loved...
GREAT READ
Heather Hornbacher
Enjoyable book on a couple's life. After being stressed out and overwhelmed recently this book was a quite, peaceful experience for my evening. It also has practical advice on keeping a marriage happy.
Elizabeth
I loved this book. It's an entertaining story and the cumulative effect is to show you how sweet life can be and the joy that is possible when we focus on being loving and generous.
Donna
Though their lifestyle isn't mine, it reminded me of what is important and what matters in a relationship. Look for the sweet things in a marriage. I liked it.
Lola
This true story gave me hope that the efforts of true love do exist and endure, despite the cynics less fortunate. I enjoyed it very much & would recommend it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Accidentally on Purpose: A One-Night Stand, My Unplanned Parenthood, and Loving the Best Mistake I Ever Made
  • Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature
  • Rsvp
  • A Snowflake in My Hand
  • Once Upon a Time: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier
  • Kayak Morning: Reflections on Love, Grief, and Small Boats
  • Unpacking the Boxes: A Memoir of a Life in Poetry
  • Water Cooler Diaries: Women across America Share Their Day at Work
  • Ninguém Como Tu (Irmãos Martí, #1)
  • Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Cabin: Two Brothers, a Dream, and Five Acres in Maine
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • O Teu Rosto Será o Último
  • I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye: Surviving, Coping and Healing after the Sudden Death of a Loved-One
  • The Journal Keeper: A Memoir
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • Abraço
Reading Sappho: Contemporary Approaches Women Poets in Ancient Greece and Rome The Erotics of Domination: Male Desire and the Mistress in Latin Love Poetry Re-Reading Sappho: Reception and Transmission Remember the Sweet Things: One List, Two Lives, and Twenty Years of Marriage