Cat Breaking Free

Cat Breaking Free (Joe Grey #11)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The fur starts flying when a gang from L.A. comes up to tranquil Molena Point, California, and begins breaking into the village's quaint shops. The fur of Joe Grey, Feline P.I., that is. After all, Molena Point has been his home since he was a kitten eating scraps from the garbage behind the local delicatessen, and he doesn't take well to marauding strangers. Joe even wond...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Breaking Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Breaking Free

Marfita
Mar 15, 2010 Marfita rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marfita by: That darn Hedda on SL, darn her! Okay, she hadn't read it, it wa
Shelves: mysteries, cozies
Once I get past the problem of talking cats: talking, crime-fighting housecats ... come to think of it, maybe I can't get past that. This is definitely a series for cat lovers: soppy, anthropomorphizing cat lovers. Okay, I pretend my cats talk, but I don't go much beyond "Why don't you feed me?" and "Pet me, damn you, pet me!" and "I. Hate. You." I don't imagine some rich, inner life wherein they can reason, read (how does a cat learn to read when human children take years to learn and develop f...more
Skjam!
Jul 09, 2014 Skjam! rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans who are also cat lovers
Recommended to Skjam! by: Book Crossing
Joe Grey is a talking cat with superfeline intellect and digestive abilities. Fortunately, he has chosen to use these powers in the service of justice as a civilian investigator for the small California city of Molena Point. Along with his fellow talking cats Dulcie and Kit, they keep solving crimes and assisting the police.

In this volume, Molena Point is invaded by a large organized robbery gang; in what might be a coincidence, a woman named Chichi Barbi moves in next door to Joe’s human partne...more
Tara
I'll start my review by stating that I don't usually read mass market paperbacks so my comments will be biased according to my personal reading preferences. My mom purchased this book for me when I had major surgery, and for the first week I really did enjoy the book, it was great to read a few pages and then doze off. The cats were entertaining and I really did want to know what was going on in the story. By the time I got to the end, though, I was bored and impatient with the stock characters...more
Kathleen Melton
My review is based on the audiobook and also that this is my intro to the series. (Only one my library had)

I don't remember much of the first 4 chapters because I was getting used to how the perspectives kept changing. One minute you're looking at the world through joe's eyes, the next Kit's. But once I got the rhythm down, the book wasn't too bad.

I'm definitely going to find the first one and listen to it and get a better intro to the characters of the town.
Alison
In case you've never heard of this particular mystery genre, and I surely hadn't, when I say "cat detective novel" I mean "novel in which the detective is a cat." A talking cat. Who can use the phone and stuff. In this book, we meet Chichi Barbi, who has apparently been previously involved with the tomcat's owner, Clyde. The tomcat, Joe, dislikes her immensely, and thinks that the fact that she's moved in next door means she's up to no good. So Joe spies on Chichi and, conveniently, she's up to...more
Betty
Returning from weekend outing Charlie comes across a sentient cat in a steel cage. She releases him. On the same trip
The riders find a biker DEAD at the bottom of a revine.
Kit recognizes the cat in the cage and says he is Stone Eye, the
leader of her clowder. They have return to Hellhag Hill.
Joe is angry that one of Cldye's old girlfriend has moved in next door. He is watching her closely and see her running away after a robbery. The ending is different and interesting. A relaxing read after a st...more
Fiore777
I've been seeing a couple of series revolving around feline detectives so I decided to try one out to see what was the interest in the genre. It was fairly entertaining, perhaps I would have liked it better if was intensely into cats. I liked the characterization of the cats and how they handled situations which required them to act like regular felines. The mystery itself moved along nicely enough.
Christi
This cat mystery really did not appeal to me. I realized that about two chapters into it, but I saw it through to the end. Some parts were clever, but others so crazily ridiculous, even for a speaking & reasoning, mystery-solving cat book. I don't think I could stand to read another one of these, thus the 2 star rating from me.
Vicky
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
Kay
I can predict that these talking, crime fighting cats will be my guilty pleasure books for the year. I just find their personalities so realistic, and I love the way they interact with each other, their humans and other cats. Only for cat lovers, though.
Bridget
Don't let the idea that the cats can talk to humans deter you, as it almost did me. The writing is very enjoyable and the author presented her humans' and animals' emotions in a sensitive and touching light. I was impressed.
Gizzard
These were all on sale at Amazon and i picked up a couple. Not sure what i expected, but humanized cats that actually talk wasn't it. They mystery and rest of the book were fine, but I won't be seeking these out.
Mirian
Very creative, but I couldn't finish it. I could get to about 1/3 of it, because it was an audiobook , and the reader is very good, giving personality to each character. Definitely not my kind of reading.
Phair
Molena Point is getting crowed with new & returning characters on two and 4 legs. Mystery begins to take a back seat to the characters' lives but who cares. It's fun to be back among friends here.
Tedthecat Harvey
A friend just introduced me to Joe Grey. I love him. His spirit is very much like my own dear cat. I really had no idea that Catswold Portal had given birth to Joe. Viva Joe Grey!
Pat
I have never read one of the Molena Point mysteries that I didn't like. Give me Joe Grey, Dulcie, Kit, & their human friends all woven into a good mystery & I can't put it down!
Suzie
Excellent read! Talking cats? Mystery and a bit of romance thrown in for good measure. Can't ask for more than that from a lazy afternoon read.
A Cayouette
Another well written book ! Bravo Shirley!
Jen Marie
A nice twist on the many 'cat mysteries' that are out there. It stands out on its own. nice, easy read.
Franklin
It sounds like a self-help book for cats but it's not helping me. Don't buy it.
Shirley
My first by this author and I loved it! Read superbly by William Dubris.
Michele
Loved this one. Dulcie, Joe Grey and Kit are the best characters.
Phillis
Another good Joe Grey book! Ready to read the next in the series.
Helen
catnapping and jewel thieves, choppy
Kim
Kit's old group is back.
Haley F
Haley F marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie, #21)
  • The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • Sour Puss (Mrs. Murphy, #14)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of Cat in the Dark, Cat on the Edge, Cat Under Fire, and Cat Raise the Dead, and has received five Council of Authors and Journalists Awards for previous books. She graduated from San Francisco Art Institute, has worked as a commercial artist and has exhibited paintings and sculptures extensively on the West Coast. She and her husband live in Carmel, Californi...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...
Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey #1) The Catswold Portal Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey #2) Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey #3) Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey #4)