L'assassino ha letto Joyce?

L'assassino ha letto Joyce? (Peter McGarr #8)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Kevin Coyle, brillante accademico del Trinity College di Dublino ed esperto studioso dello scrittore irlandese, viene trovato morto nei pressi di un cimitero, pugnalato al cuore.
L’indagine viene affidata all’ispettore McGarr, “dublinese doc” nonché capo della squadra omicidi,...more
Published by Edizioni Sylvestre Bonnard (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about L'assassino ha letto Joyce?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'assassino ha letto Joyce?

Maurizio Codogno
Cosa c'è dietro l'omicidio, avvenuto alla fine del Bloomsday, di Kevin Coyle, letterato esperto nell'opera di Joyce? È quello che il capo della squadra omicidi, Peter McGarr, deve scoprire in questo libro. E dire che McGarr, pur essendo dublinese dalla testa ai piedi, non ha mai letto l'Ulisse...<br />
Come avrete intuito, la vera protagonista di questo giallo è Dublino. La Dublino della fine degli anni '80, per la precisione (il libro è del 1989), che immagino essere molto diversa da quell...more
Louise Turner
This was recommended to me by a friend who had posted a "Bloomsday" greeting on Facebook. When I admitted that even after a dozen or so tries, I had never made it all the way through "Ulysses", he said he hadn't either but had enjoyed this mystery very much. I enjoyed it also and will read more of the Peter McGarr mysteries. I liked the sense of place, the way it gave me a feeling of what everyday life in Dublin would be like. It is also a good police procedural, and I look forward to becoming b...more
Mara
Dublino 16 giugno: ovunque si festeggia Bloomsday, la giornata commemorativa dell’Ulisse di Joyce. Un accademico del Trinity College di Dublino ed esperto studioso dello scrittore irlandese, viene trovato morto nei pressi di un cimitero. L’indagine viene affidata ad un ispettore “dublinese doc” nonché capo della squadra omicidi, che si trova ben presto invischiato in un caso che intreccia passioni amorose... e un libro.La soluzione di questo complicato delitto dovrà infatti passare attraverso un...more
Victoria
A professor of James Joyce at Trinity College in Dublin is murdered, and detective Peter McCarr, whom I'm reading about for the first time despite its being the 8th book in this series. McCarr finds that he must learn much more about James Joyce, and Ulysses in particular, in order to solve this crime. I've not always enjoyed mysteries from the UK, but this one was so much more than just a police procedural. The language, the references, were sometimes quite foreign to me, but this book is so er...more
Mike
A lovely idea for a mystery - a man is murdered in Dublin on Bloomsday, and the police must search for clues in Ulysses - is utterly failed by a miserable execution. Haphazardly drawn characters, unconvincing dialogue, a plot that never hangs hang together, and an out of the blue solution that has nothing to do with anything. And, it's badly written. What a crushing disappointment.
Jan C
The book that drove me to buy Ulysses. I didn't know that book was supposed to take place in 18 hours and that is, allegedly, how long it should take to read it. I've been reading it for years now.
Kate
Well written police procedural, with an interesting Joyce tie-in. I enjoyed it and will probably read a few more in this series, in spite of the author's taste for cute Irish-ness. It did inspire me to tackle Ulysses again ...
Cathleen
I took this on a beach vacation, and it was perfect for that. Interesting enough that I finished it, not so intricately plotted or artfully written that I had to direct all of my attention to it.
Tim
1991...I think I was just beginning to embrace my inner mystery lover. See how this title bridges the gap between literature and genre (the plot is pure genre, obviously).
Hannah
In the summer of 2002 I became obsessed with Bartholomew Gill's series of detective novels. They are the only mysteries I've ever read, and I hold them close to my heart.
Lori
Very good, much better than the earlier books in this series. McGarr's character really took a personality. And the Breshnahan/Ward relationship was a surprise.
Susan
I'm not a mystery fan, but I read this for my book club. I think it was only fair, but then, I'm no Joyce scholar!
Austensibly
Excellent, well-paced mystery for those that love mixing literary with the crime mystery genre.
Diane Clavette
Enjoyable and easy to become engrossed in. Characters likable.
Gail
Odd but good. The Joyce background makes it a natural for booklovers.
Karen
Irish mystery; tons of Joyce trivia. Lots of fun.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Zadrarose
Zadrarose marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sheila
Sheila added it
Aug 08, 2014
Timbo
Timbo marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
NE
NE added it
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Bartholomew Gill is the pen name of Mark McGarrity.

Mr. McGarrity was born in Holyoke, Mass., and graduated from Brown University in 1966. He studied for his master's degree at Trinity College, Dublin, and never tired of mining the country for material.

''One of the things they gave me,'' he once said of his books, ''is a chance to go back to Ireland time and time again to do research.''

He was also...more
More about Bartholomew Gill...
The Death of an Irish Tinker (Peter McGarr, #13) Death in Dublin (Peter McGarr, #16) The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1) The Death of an Irish Sea Wolf (Peter McGarr, #12) The Death of an Irish Sinner (Peter McGarr, #15)