Understanding Close-Up Photography

Understanding Close-Up Photography

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In his sixth book, renowned photographer, popular instructor, and best-selling author Bryan Peterson challenges and inspires us to see close-up photography in new ways when we view it through his eyes. You’ve seen the dewdrops, but what about dewdrops on a bird’s wing or raindrops on a car windshield? You’ve seen the bumblebees on vibrant flowers, but what about the fluid...more
Published January 12th 2011 by Amphoto Books (first published March 31st 2009)

Deodand
This book answered a lot of questions I had about the close-up photographs I have been taking for many years. It straightened out the terminology in my mind. It will also help me when it becomes time for me to move to DSLR and get some proper equipment.

I don't always agree with Peterson's artistic decisions but that's a matter of taste. The text occasionally disappears into jargon but not in an excessively confusing way (as most photography books tend to do).
ctwayfarer
If you've found the terminology used in closeup photography confusing, then look no further. Peterson does a great job busting many common myths. For instance he talks about the futility of VR and IS on macro lenses when used for closeup photography. Did you know that a macro lens can also be used for regular portrait shots? How do you calculate the magnification factor? What is a constant focus lens? And there are many more gems waiting in this fantastic book!
Tess Rupprecht
I have read most books of Mr. Bryan Peterson, and I must admit he is my favorite photo writers. This book caught my attention to explore the world of close up photography. As always in all of his books, Mr. Peterson always made it a point to add the camera settings for every photo in the book. His tips are very very generous and practical. Looking forward to apply the techniques learned from him.

Tess Rupprecht
Gina
I always enjoy Bryan Peterson's books. They are practical, easy-to-understand, and lighthearted. I enjoy reading about new techniques as much as I enjoy looking at his photos used throughout his books. This book gave me some new ideas for use with my macro lens.
David
another great work by Byran about close up photography..for those who have come to specific interests on shooting close up objects, subjects..the magnificence of blurring out background and solely focusing on the close subjects are also a fine art.
Robert
Really solid overview of macro and close up photography techniques, with example photographs and explanations of how to get the effects pictured. It slants a little towards Nikon, but does mention Canon in most places it counts.
Carlos Quijano
A good introduction to close-up and macro photography. Not too complicated and not overly obsessed with gear. There are many practical suggestions to get one started.
Jenny
I found this book more of a sales catalog or coffee table book. Lots of pretty pictures with detailed captions, but not many useful tips and tricks.
Michele
Apr 19, 2010 Michele rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michele by: Mark Corneglio
Learning more and more about close-up picture taking. I have always loved flowers, now I'm learning how to take better pictures!
Clare Malley
Another great Bryan Peterson book brimming with enthusiasm.
Explains many different close up photography concepts with clarity.
Joe Silber
Very accessible and readable. Gear and technique focused but also some creative ideas discussed
Rebecca
Peterson offers great advice for getting better macro shots, while providing great inspiration.
Jbgreendawn
also re-reading this one again. :) Mostly looking at the photos.
Rasha
Very easy to read .. great tips .. highly recommended
Nick
Excellent macro book one of the best I have come across.
Jonah
Great book about close up and macro shots!
Amy
Sep 04, 2011 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those into photography
Shelves: photography
Awesome book!!!
Peter Logan
Peter Logan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Mingchao Lin
Mingchao Lin marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Anthony Agonias
Anthony Agonias marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Ana Paula
Ana Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3)
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • Adobe Photoshop Cs3 for Photographers: A Professional Image Editor's Guide to the Creative Use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
  • Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image Manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures
  • Visual Poetry: A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs
  • The Camera (Ansel Adams Photography, #1)
  • Painting With Light
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
82078
Bryan F. Peterson has been a full-time commercial photographer since 1981, shooting assignments all over the world for many of the Fortune 500 companies, including Kodak, UPS, and American Expiress. He is also a contract stock photographer for Corbis and Getty. He has been a contributing editor at Outdoor Photographer Magazine and is currently a contributing editor at Popular Photography and Imagi...more
More about Bryan Peterson...
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color and Composition in Photography Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography