Start by marking “Amputiert” as Want to Read:
Amputiert

Amputiert

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,304 ratings  ·  115 reviews
Michael Fox ist im Begriff, Selbstmord zu begehen, als ihm ein Fremder zwei Millionen Dollar anbietet. Alles, was er dafür will, ist Fox' rechter Arm ... Doch das ist erst der Anfang. Die Pläne des geheimnisvollen Chirurgen gehen weit über einen schlichten Arm hinaus. Und Fox ist nicht der einzige 'Spender'. Gefangen hinter den Türen des Operationssaals muss Fox feststelle ...more
Paperback
Published by Otherworld (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Amputiert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amputiert

Kasia S.
Oh man, what a fun romp through madness, surgeries and mayhem! For those who like the physical horror with blood, gore and all that icky stuff then this will send a few shivers down the spine. Even though this was Rollo's first mass market novel his writing was a smooth flow of ghastly delights as the story engulfed me and demanded to be finished between Saturday night and Sunday morning, nothing else would tear me away and I had a blast reading it.

I don't know if it was the fact that I used to
Melissa Helwig
What would you do if someone offered you a million dollars for your right arm?

Of course you would instinctively say no and think they're nuts. But if you stopped and considered the proposal and what you could do with all that money, it might not seem like such a bad idea. Especially if you're homeless, have no family (except a daughter who hates your guts), and are about to jump in front of a train.

This is the dilemma facing Michael Fox in Gord Rollo's engrossing first novel, The Jigsaw Man.

Sinc
Ken McKinley
A modern take on the classic Frankenstein story for the ages. This is my first novel by Rollo and simply put, it won't be my last. I've read some amazing books in 2014. Jigsaw Man is now not only my favorite for this year, but many other years as well. The writing is crisp and the story is one twisting turn after another. Some you can see coming. Most of them you can't. And boy does Rollo grab you by the throat with an iron-like vise of a grip. He had me believing the unbelievable every step of ...more
William M.
I have not read a debut horror novel this good since Jack Ketchum's Off Season, and as impressive and effective as Elisabeth Massie's Sineater. This book is incredibly well paced with a perfect beginning, middle, and end. I can't say enough about this writer. There were things in this book that were so terrifying, I couldn't believe what I was reading. It runs you through a full spectrum of emotions and hooks you every step of the way.

I usually don't like first person stories, but this one real
Tressa
Michael Fox is a homeless man who is about to jump in front of a train so that his daughter can have a better life with the insurance policy he has left to her. But before he can jump, a stranger drives up in a stretch limousine and offers him $2,000,000 for his right arm.

Thinking only of his daughter, Fox gets into the limousine and begins his journey through hell. A mad doctor has been making great breakthroughs in appendage transplants, and it's not only Michael's right arm the mad doctor nee
Todd Russell
This is one of those horror novels that fans of the genre long to read. It has everything a good tale requires: solid description and imagery, characters to root for and against, increasing terror and a climactic ending. Every scene was an integral part of the overall story. I appreciate a well-constructed yarn and this was a pleasure to read--up until the very last page.

Michael Fox, (one thing I dislike is his character name, because I kept picturing Michael J. Fox), more than down on his luck
DJMikeG
Sometimes a new horror author hits a bullseye with their first book. An unheard of writer hits the scene like a Mack Truck plowing into a gas station. King did it with "Carrie", Skipp and Spector did it with "The Light at the End", Richard Laymon did it with "The Cellar", Jack Ketchum did it with "The Off Season", Brian Keene did it with "The Rising", etc. Rollo has pulled a similar feat with this book, his debut. The first third of this book is one of the most incredibly creepy, suspenseful and ...more
Kelly
Man, being the “bad” reviewer sucks sometimes, did you know that? It’s true; there are actually times (few and far between albeit) where I hate having to dish out the tough love. And I feel so bad because Mr. Rollo is such a nice guy, but I read that book three months ago and I still kind of hate it. So, Gord, just remember this: I punish because I love.

And speaking of scolding, I have just one question for Mr. Rollo: What the hell were you thinking when you constructed that timeline, therefore
Kristen
Many have likened this to a “Modern Day Frankenstein” which in reality it is… though more so than the simple stitching together of flesh. This is the story of Mike, a man who lost everything, his job, family and life, he stands on the train tracks ready to die when an offer is made that sounds too good to be true. When a man in a limo pulls up and offers Mike $2 million for the purchase of his right arm what is a homeless man to do? Once Mike arrives at the surgical facility he is fed, given a t ...more
Rhonda
I had never read FRANKENSTEIN or any books related to it so this was my first book of that horror sub-genre and I was quite impressed! This book was extremely fast-paced and kept you wanting to know what was going to happen next. If I had had more time available I probably would've read it in just a couple of days, but I ended up stretching it out a bit longer.

Gord Rollo detailed the scenes and characters VERY well in this book. I was able to picture most everything going on... though some of i
Jen
Garrett Cook
A 21st Century take on Frankenstein and Les Yeux Sans Visage, a tale of class struggle and bioethics with a sympathetic, pathetic and still active homeless protagonist. Some books you read, it's tough to be sympathetic toward a hero that is just completely and utterly screwed. It feels like the character has nothing to do and is difficult to invest yourself in, but somehow this book pulled it off. Probably too repulsive and depressing for most readers, but extreme horror and noir buffs will find ...more
Bill
I read this a while ago but forgot to comment about it. This was a great book and the plot and characters still stick with me. There were some genuinely creepy and terrifying moments throughout the book. It grabs you and drags you all the way to the end. If this was Rollo's first novel (first one I read) then it is fantastic debut. Can't wait to get ahold of another one of his works. Recommended!
Mark
Imagine Doctor Frankenstein alive today and pushing the boundaries of science and morality. Now imagine being offered two million dollars for your arm by this twisted genius.

Rollo has absorbed the spirits of both Mary Shelley and Richard Laymon and sprinkled in a bit of Michael Crichton in this breakneck, disturbing roller coaster ride of a novel.

Steven
This was a very good horror novel. I was thoroughly enveloped in the story throughout and read it in one sitting; it was a page-turner. The story is about a man filled with guilt and remorse who is about to commit suicide when someone makes him an offer he sadly does not refuse. Gory enough to make me twist a bit--a very good read. Nice work.
"grindy" Jake
I had been waiting to get my hands on this book. I devoured it. Similarly to Strange Magic, we get a lead character who is really down on his luck. However, Mike's outlook on the world is galaxies apart. Opposed to Kemp, who is desperately trying to pull his life back together, Mike just says "Fuck it" and looks for the easy way out of his problems: suicide. Right out of the gate, The Jigsaw Man gripped me. It continued to strangle me, skinned me, shot me in the groin and dragged my flailing bod ...more
TJ
"The Jigsaw Man" is author Gord Rollo's modern-day version of Frankenstein, but with a "heart". The book revolves around a billionaire doctor's attempt to make his crippled son "whole" by using arms and legs from donors who exchange their limbs for dollars. One of those donors is a down-on-his-luck drifter by the name of Michael Fox who attempts to repair his failed role as father by providing his daughter with the $2 million dollars he'll receive from Dr. Nathan Marshall for his right arm.

Deep
Kynthos-the-Archer

Don't know about you, but I am very drawn to this disturbing image on the book cover...

It's calling for my attention. I. Need. To. Read. This.
My curiosity is piqued.

EXCERPT:
“The sick pervert was rubbing his throbbing cock on the side of the glass tank, slowly working it up closer and closer to the head above. The defenseless man’s eyes were wide open in fear, his entire head and spine thrashing about in a futile attempt to get away. … Drake crawled right up onto the table, and was trying to put
Maicie
Frankenstein revisited.

Four homeless men are offered two million dollars each in exchange for an arm here, a leg there. Sadly, the surgeon turns out to be more of a mad scientist than a good doctor. I know, I was surprised, too. There’s also a terrific psycho sidekick who has a head fetish. (Sorry, you have to read the book to fully understand.)

Parts of this book left me crawling with goose bumps. There was even one chapter that brought a tear to the eye. I did have a few problems with Michael,
Eniko
Shawn Thornton
I couldn't put this book down. Really really entertaining. I'd give my right arm to read another Gord Rollo novel.
Michael Brookes
The voice of the narrator immediately drew me into this book. He's a man down on his luck and he captures the essence of his life perfectly. For a while the story didn't matter as I was happy to just get to know the main character.

The story gets going quickly and while the setup is a little improbable it does its job. The overall story was fine, although predictable. The main character carries it well though and while I knew what was coming the writing was such that I still wanted to actually re
Justin
this book was not what I expected at all, that's not a bad thing though. I loved it! the mix of comically bizarre situations and truly horrifying situations reminded me of Jeff stand. if this book had been given a "wanted add" title it could have been Andrew mayhem number five. it was gory, it was funny, it was really messed up in parts but it was also well written with great characters and hard to put down.
Stony Graves
This book is simply brutal. One of those novels that sticks with you for a long time after you finish it and hide it away, praying children don't find it! A must read if you can handle it.
AudioBookReviewer
My full Jigsaw Man audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

When it comes down to it, Jigsaw Man is simply a story about fear, cowardice, and overcoming them to dispense revenge. That will assault your emotions with it’s heart wrenching cruelty and explicit goriness. Gord Rollo was able to capture my full attention and toss my mind around until I thought I couldn’t take any more and start all over again.

This is a story about a coward named Michael Fox. To me he is a coward because he
Trudi
Interesting idea with some gruesome results.
Dierdra Byrd
The Jigsaw man is a gory horror novel, so if you love horror but cannot handle very bloody and gory scenes then stay away from this one. The book is told from Michael’s point of view, a homeless man who is offered two million dollars for his right arm. That is a lot of money, but personally I am attached to all of my limbs and money comes and goes. To be honest I think you are doing yourself a disservice by reading the book description! I skimmed it, and glad I did, because it really ruins a lot ...more
Marty Essen
A laugh-cringe riot!

I picked up The Jigsaw Man on whim. I don’t normally read horror novels but thought it might be fun to try something different. Mission accomplished!

I read the majority of The Jigsaw Man while traveling on a commercial airplane. Soon I had to concentrate on being quiet, because other passengers were giving me strange looks, as I alternately gasped at the horror and laughed at the comedy.

Yes, as sick as it sounds, I found a book about medically unnecessary amputations absolute
Cindy Meilink
A modern take on Frankenstein, Mr. Rollo has come up with a winning combination of interesting characters and chilling plot.

Michael Fox, a homeless man living on the streets, is at the end of his rope. His wife and son died a few years ago in a car accident leaving only his daughter who wanted nothing to do with him. The knowledge that his wife and son would still be alive if not for him, caused the spiral into his homeless existence.

To aid his daughter and end his pitiful existence, Michael had
  • Pressure
  • Dark Hollow
  • Berserk
  • Sacrifice
  • The Summer I Died
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • The Bleeding Season
  • Meat
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
Gord Rollo was born in St. Andrews, Scotland, but now lives in Ontario, Canada. His short stories and novella-length work have appeared in many professional publications throughout the genre and his novels include: The Jigsaw Man, Crimson, Strange Magic, and Valley Of The Scarecrow. His work has been translated into several languages and his titles are currently being adapted for audiobooks.

Beside