Start by marking “The Importance of Being a Bachelor” as Want to Read:
The Importance of Being a Bachelor

The Importance of Being a Bachelor

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Published February 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published May 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Importance of Being a Bachelor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Importance of Being a Bachelor

Agne
So where to start.....
The Bachelors. Starts of as a nice book. Simple writing, liked how it jumps from brothers view every few chapters.
It isn't some kind of masterpiece of writing. It's entertaining. A light read(i read it in a few days). A simple story about brothers and their romance and blbalba. Good for light read.

But what i didn't like how it got wrapped up at the ending. It felt like the author had a page number set and he's like 'óooh I have 10 pages left..oops. ok lets end this now
Simon Pert
To my shame it had been a while since I had read a Mike Gayle book so when I took The Importance of Being a Batchelor from my shelf I was looking forward to the read and was not disappointed. Funny, engaging, Mike Gayle as ever pulls you into the lives and situations of the Batchelor family. For me I love the easy style of Mike's writing, the familiar situation the characters finds themselves in are those that happen everyday, it was truly a wonderful book to read and will certainly not leave it ...more
Cindy
I like MG's style of writing. It is amusing. I will definitely read other books written by him.

I liked this book. It is the first time I have read a sort of "chick-lit" book written by a man. All of the books I have read which were written by men are in the themes of murder/mystery/police/investigations.

I liked all of the characters and how in the middle of the book all of the Bachelor men were womenless. With only a few pages left, I assumed that this was not going to have a happy ending (whic
Leah
Despite the example of their own parents’ enduring marriage, the three Bachelor brothers show no signs of settling down. Adam has a string of glamorous girlfriends, but they aren’t suitable wife material. Luke has just proposed to Cassie but his refusal to consider having children looks like an insurmountable barrier. And baby of the family Russell is in love with the one woman he can’t have. Then their father announces he has been thrown out of the family home and this proves a dramatic catalys ...more
Amanda
Despite the example of their own parents' enduring marriage, the three Bachelor brothers show no signs of settling down. Adam has a string of glamorous girlfriends, but they aren't suitable wife material. Luke has just proposed to Cassie but his refusal to consider having children looks like an insurmountable barrier. And baby of the family Russell is in love with the one woman he can't have. Then their father announces he has been thrown out of the family home and this forces all three brothers ...more
Lorraine
“Me, you, Russ and Dad, we talk but we don’t really say anything. Not anything meaningful anyway. It’s the women who bring us out of ourselves. When we were at home it was Mum, and now it’s your Cass or Russ’s Angie or even my Steph…It’s them who show us what life is really all about. Without them…I think we’re all just a bit…

Disconnected? Lost? Hopeless?”

This is an example of the many platitudes you can read in “The Importance of Being a Bachelor.” It’s definitely chick lit and it’s not my type
Michael Estey
Dec 06, 2012 Michael Estey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: On the "Books we like shelf" at the Surrey Library
THE IMPORTANCE OF
BEING A BACHELOR
Author: Mike Gayle
A Book Review

Three grown men living in Manchester; brothers Adam, Luke and Russell Bachelor deal with the dilemma of their parents, George and Joan Bachelor, splitting up after forty years of marriage.

Question: Why a divorce after forty years?

Answer: It's not nice to keep secrets.

All three boys have their own problems, one goes out with the wrong type of girl but now as he is aging, wants to settle down, another has problems with an ex, who w
Catarina
Markie Jones
I am an avid fan of Mike Gayle but this book had a few errors that quite upset me. For a start the book hasn't been edited properly, so words that made no sense in the context they were used were just plonked into random sentences. Another blunder i noticed was that at one point the characters names were confused. Gayle had set up the scene between Cassie and Luke, and yet at one point Luke's name was changed to Adam. This was slightly confusing but kept me on my toes, in the wrong sort of way i ...more
Shanu
2,5 stars

i had a hard time getting into this book because 1)i don't like mike gayle's style 2)i've recently found myself fed up with chick lit but after putting this book 2 or 3 times, i decided that i had to read it in one go and give it back to the friend who lend it to me.

I read it last night, between 1am and 3am, a time when my brain wasn't too exigeant regarding the quality of the book read.

About the book : everything of the plot is predictable as soon as the characters are introduced so
Ipswichblade
Its easy to criticise Mike Gayle as being a bloke-lit writer however i don't think he has written a bad book yet. I see from other reviews that some people thought this was a bit lightweight however to me it was a well written story about a family life with believeable characters. The story revolves around a family called the Bachelors, made up of Mum,Dad and three brothers. The three brothers for differing reasons do not have sucessful love lives and the story tells the the tale of their family ...more
Suze
I do enjoy Mike Gayle's books. Maybe its the northern humour to them. Maybe its that the romance element is from the male perspective and that leads to amusing observations. Anyway, This one delivered all I expect of his books.
Three brothers, needing to settle down according to their parents - who then have their own problems. I did think at first that these were manufactured to make the boys sit up and think, but not in the end.
The three boys (ranging 27 to 38) go through a variety of escapades
Len Nguyen
"you've got to have hope, haven't you? That's what life's all about: hope, love, family. Those are the important things."
and this book proves this point. exactly.
Ange Chan
I started reading this book five hours ago and didn't put it down. Loved it!
Sabine
Wat een draak van een boek. Waar Mike Gayle ooit leuk, nieuw en verfrissend was met een soort chick-lit maar dan vanuit het mannelijk perspectief (vooral My Legendary Girlfriend was goed) is hij met dit boek afgezakt naar het niveau bestaand uit clichés, voorspelbaarheid en saaiheid. En aan het eind komt alles goed. Mike Gayle is zijn spark allang verloren. Ik had er al eerder mee moeten stoppen, maargoed. Vanaf nu lees ik geen boeken van zijn hand meer.
This book is classic Mike Gayle. I found it to be warm, funny and an insight into the fact that you don't know what you've got until it's disappeared. I wanted to bang the boys heads together but found myself caring about the Bachelor boys, despite their behaviour towards the women in their lives.

It's rare that I read a book in one sitting but this book was one of the exceptions.. I couldn't put it down. A wonderful book; one I really enjoyed reading.
Ivor Grisel
Normally with books, I read it and like it. But with thus book and with these characters, I was able to identify myself with the characters because I've experienced similar situations. This is especially true for the male reader since the male protagonists in stories are most often female or flat males.

The major let down was the end, which was a bit quick and abrupt. Some detail could have been spend there.
Natalee
This may be the best Mike Gayle I've read. A great storyline, again great characters, good plot and a happy ending. A nice easy read.
Chanpreet
It was interesting to read a book told from the viewpoints of the male characters more so then female. I liked it and the story always kept me on my toes. The three Bachelor sons seemed to be unlucky in love. When their parents decided they were splitting up after almost 40 years together, it threw all three for a loop.

This is my first book by Mike Gayle. I look forward to reading more by him.
ah li
out of so many authors, i am most most comfortable with the writing style of mike gayle, i love his writing style and his wit. it is as daily mail said ""brilliantly funny"" and also brilliantly amazing book. I managed to finish it in 4 days and if i could sleepread, i would have. A teeny weeny error mistaking luke for adam in one of the scenes (I believe) but he is still one of my favourite author!
Alice
Mike Gayle's books are the literary equivalent of a box of Maltesers: light, easily consumed and you always fancy just one more chapter before you stop. With this one I found myself staying up late to find out what would happen next. A large cast of characters, all sympathetic and interesting in their own ways, and a tangle of relationships kept me hooked until the inevitable happy ending.
Emma Sharpe
I loved loved loved this book. It was funny, sad, frustrating, positive, negative and was so refreshing to get three male perspectives on relationships but it was like a love story as well. Definitely deserves 5 stars, please read it if you like feelings and emotions, it's all about that and basically has the bullet points of my perfect book.
Rency Patcheco
Had so much fun reading this book.... the humor is exquisite!! I am more enlightened now on how men think and why they think what they do, if at all they do care to indulge in such extravagance!! hahahahahaa. Loved this book!!
Nina
I used to like Gayle's books, but for some reason reading this one was almost painful. Four men in one family are lousy in relationships until they are not. This sudden growing up happens simultaneously without much explanation... Most unbelievable plot and no humor to speak of, so no much reason to waste time reading this book.
Sim
I'm a huge Mike Gayle fan so perhaps I'm being harder with my rating because I'm more disappointed than I would have been with another writer. I suppose it would be fair to say that I give it 2.5 stars, not 2. The ending really ruined the story for me: it was rushed/abrupt and was emotionally quite dissatisfying :(
Book-shelf Shelf

What can you say? Well for one Its Mike Gayle and true to form Mike never lets you down. He writes the way a guy feels and what goes on in their minds. having said that this book was more a story and not such a deep book as with his other. Still hilariously funny and extremely enjoyable.
Neal Carter
A bit annoying. The characters all turn out to be self destructive idiots, which is OK, that's the point of the story. But then it all gets resolved over a few pages without any great detail and everybody is happy again. Disappointing really.
Tanvir Muntasim
Not Gayle's best,for sure.
Aileen
This is the first Mike Gayle book I have read. A good book, however I did have trouble getting into it, and I couldn't really connect with any of the characters, although I did want to see what happened at the end, I couldn't wait to finish it.
  • Men From The Boys (Harry Silver, #3)
  • New Beginnings
  • Rumours
  • The First Wife
  • What's New, Pussycat?
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Private Lives
  • Making Mischief
  • A Crowded Marriage
  • The Secret Shopper's Revenge
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • The Seven Year Itch (Jack & Amy, #3)
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli
More about Mike Gayle...
My Legendary Girlfriend Mr. Commitment Turning Thirty His 'N' Hers Brand New Friend