Start by marking “The Importance of Being a Bachelor” as Want to Read:
The Importance of Being a Bachelor

The Importance of Being a Bachelor

Published February 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published May 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Importance of Being a Bachelor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Importance of Being a Bachelor

Cindy
Apr 07, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like MG's style of writing. It is amusing. I will definitely read other books written by him.

I liked this book. It is the first time I have read a sort of "chick-lit" book written by a man. All of the books I have read which were written by men are in the themes of murder/mystery/police/investigations.

I liked all of the characters and how in the middle of the book all of the Bachelor men were womenless. With only a few pages left, I assumed that this was not going to have a happy ending (whic
Leah
Feb 21, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the example of their own parents’ enduring marriage, the three Bachelor brothers show no signs of settling down. Adam has a string of glamorous girlfriends, but they aren’t suitable wife material. Luke has just proposed to Cassie but his refusal to consider having children looks like an insurmountable barrier. And baby of the family Russell is in love with the one woman he can’t have. Then their father announces he has been thrown out of the family home and this proves a dramatic catalys ...more
Amanda
Despite the example of their own parents' enduring marriage, the three Bachelor brothers show no signs of settling down. Adam has a string of glamorous girlfriends, but they aren't suitable wife material. Luke has just proposed to Cassie but his refusal to consider having children looks like an insurmountable barrier. And baby of the family Russell is in love with the one woman he can't have. Then their father announces he has been thrown out of the family home and this forces all three brothers ...more
Michael Estey
Dec 06, 2012 Michael Estey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: On the "Books we like shelf" at the Surrey Library
THE IMPORTANCE OF
BEING A BACHELOR
Author: Mike Gayle
A Book Review

Three grown men living in Manchester; brothers Adam, Luke and Russell Bachelor deal with the dilemma of their parents, George and Joan Bachelor, splitting up after forty years of marriage.

Question: Why a divorce after forty years?

Answer: It's not nice to keep secrets.

All three boys have their own problems, one goes out with the wrong type of girl but now as he is aging, wants to settle down, another has problems with an ex, who w
Catarina
May 02, 2012 Catarina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lorraine
Dec 30, 2011 Lorraine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“Me, you, Russ and Dad, we talk but we don’t really say anything. Not anything meaningful anyway. It’s the women who bring us out of ourselves. When we were at home it was Mum, and now it’s your Cass or Russ’s Angie or even my Steph…It’s them who show us what life is really all about. Without them…I think we’re all just a bit…

Disconnected? Lost? Hopeless?”

This is an example of the many platitudes you can read in “The Importance of Being a Bachelor.” It’s definitely chick lit and it’s not my type
Markie Jones
Aug 12, 2011 Markie Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an avid fan of Mike Gayle but this book had a few errors that quite upset me. For a start the book hasn't been edited properly, so words that made no sense in the context they were used were just plonked into random sentences. Another blunder i noticed was that at one point the characters names were confused. Gayle had set up the scene between Cassie and Luke, and yet at one point Luke's name was changed to Adam. This was slightly confusing but kept me on my toes, in the wrong sort of way i ...more
Ipswichblade
Jun 24, 2010 Ipswichblade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its easy to criticise Mike Gayle as being a bloke-lit writer however i don't think he has written a bad book yet. I see from other reviews that some people thought this was a bit lightweight however to me it was a well written story about a family life with believeable characters. The story revolves around a family called the Bachelors, made up of Mum,Dad and three brothers. The three brothers for differing reasons do not have sucessful love lives and the story tells the the tale of their family ...more
Ephie
Oct 04, 2015 Ephie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was disappointing.

It is the first book by Mike Gayle that I've read and I had been looking forward to it as I had heard his books are funny. This book made me laugh just once and the rest was pretty bland.

I didn't think the characters were realistic: maybe I'm cynical but the young male protagonists were a little too perfect; I felt MG was depicting them as a woman would want them to be rather than offering a genuine man's perspective.

Also, I don't know how much publishers pay for comm
Suze
Jan 09, 2013 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy Mike Gayle's books. Maybe its the northern humour to them. Maybe its that the romance element is from the male perspective and that leads to amusing observations. Anyway, This one delivered all I expect of his books.
Three brothers, needing to settle down according to their parents - who then have their own problems. I did think at first that these were manufactured to make the boys sit up and think, but not in the end.
The three boys (ranging 27 to 38) go through a variety of escapades
Agne
Dec 26, 2014 Agne rated it liked it
So where to start.....
The Bachelors. Starts of as a nice book. Simple writing, liked how it jumps from brothers view every few chapters.
It isn't some kind of masterpiece of writing. It's entertaining. A light read(i read it in a few days). A simple story about brothers and their romance and blbalba. Good for light read.

But what i didn't like how it got wrapped up at the ending. It felt like the author had a page number set and he's like 'óooh I have 10 pages left..oops. ok lets end this now
Shanu
Mar 07, 2014 Shanu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2,5 stars

i had a hard time getting into this book because 1)i don't like mike gayle's style 2)i've recently found myself fed up with chick lit but after putting this book 2 or 3 times, i decided that i had to read it in one go and give it back to the friend who lend it to me.

I read it last night, between 1am and 3am, a time when my brain wasn't too exigeant regarding the quality of the book read.

About the book : everything of the plot is predictable as soon as the characters are introduced so
Simon Pert
Dec 17, 2014 Simon Pert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To my shame it had been a while since I had read a Mike Gayle book so when I took The Importance of Being a Batchelor from my shelf I was looking forward to the read and was not disappointed. Funny, engaging, Mike Gayle as ever pulls you into the lives and situations of the Batchelor family. For me I love the easy style of Mike's writing, the familiar situation the characters finds themselves in are those that happen everyday, it was truly a wonderful book to read and will certainly not leave it ...more
Chanpreet
It was interesting to read a book told from the viewpoints of the male characters more so then female. I liked it and the story always kept me on my toes. The three Bachelor sons seemed to be unlucky in love. When their parents decided they were splitting up after almost 40 years together, it threw all three for a loop.

This is my first book by Mike Gayle. I look forward to reading more by him.
Sabine
May 19, 2012 Sabine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wat een draak van een boek. Waar Mike Gayle ooit leuk, nieuw en verfrissend was met een soort chick-lit maar dan vanuit het mannelijk perspectief (vooral My Legendary Girlfriend was goed) is hij met dit boek afgezakt naar het niveau bestaand uit clichés, voorspelbaarheid en saaiheid. En aan het eind komt alles goed. Mike Gayle is zijn spark allang verloren. Ik had er al eerder mee moeten stoppen, maargoed. Vanaf nu lees ik geen boeken van zijn hand meer.
ah li
Apr 25, 2012 ah li rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
out of so many authors, i am most most comfortable with the writing style of mike gayle, i love his writing style and his wit. it is as daily mail said ""brilliantly funny"" and also brilliantly amazing book. I managed to finish it in 4 days and if i could sleepread, i would have. A teeny weeny error mistaking luke for adam in one of the scenes (I believe) but he is still one of my favourite author!
Ivor Grisel
Nov 19, 2012 Ivor Grisel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally with books, I read it and like it. But with thus book and with these characters, I was able to identify myself with the characters because I've experienced similar situations. This is especially true for the male reader since the male protagonists in stories are most often female or flat males.

The major let down was the end, which was a bit quick and abrupt. Some detail could have been spend there.
Mar 24, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is classic Mike Gayle. I found it to be warm, funny and an insight into the fact that you don't know what you've got until it's disappeared. I wanted to bang the boys heads together but found myself caring about the Bachelor boys, despite their behaviour towards the women in their lives.

It's rare that I read a book in one sitting but this book was one of the exceptions.. I couldn't put it down. A wonderful book; one I really enjoyed reading.
Sim
Jul 21, 2011 Sim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge Mike Gayle fan so perhaps I'm being harder with my rating because I'm more disappointed than I would have been with another writer. I suppose it would be fair to say that I give it 2.5 stars, not 2. The ending really ruined the story for me: it was rushed/abrupt and was emotionally quite dissatisfying :(
Emma Sharpe
Nov 20, 2012 Emma Sharpe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved loved loved this book. It was funny, sad, frustrating, positive, negative and was so refreshing to get three male perspectives on relationships but it was like a love story as well. Definitely deserves 5 stars, please read it if you like feelings and emotions, it's all about that and basically has the bullet points of my perfect book.
Alice
Sep 02, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Mike Gayle's books are the literary equivalent of a box of Maltesers: light, easily consumed and you always fancy just one more chapter before you stop. With this one I found myself staying up late to find out what would happen next. A large cast of characters, all sympathetic and interesting in their own ways, and a tangle of relationships kept me hooked until the inevitable happy ending.
Nina
Jul 05, 2010 Nina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I used to like Gayle's books, but for some reason reading this one was almost painful. Four men in one family are lousy in relationships until they are not. This sudden growing up happens simultaneously without much explanation... Most unbelievable plot and no humor to speak of, so no much reason to waste time reading this book.
Rose McClelland
Mar 21, 2016 Rose McClelland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mike-gayle
I really enjoyed this. I became quite engrossed in the story-line, could vividly imagine the characters and warmed to them.

** spoiler **

I do think the ending was very neatly tidied up and was a little on the cheesy/ predictable side.

But all in all, a good read.
Aileen
Mar 04, 2011 Aileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Mike Gayle book I have read. A good book, however I did have trouble getting into it, and I couldn't really connect with any of the characters, although I did want to see what happened at the end, I couldn't wait to finish it.
Letitia
A quick, fun read. The squillion typos, missing words and wrong names nearly drove me nuts (seriously, did no one proofread this thing?). I somehow managed to enjoy it anyway... with the exception of the cheesy & unrealistic ending.
Neal Carter
A bit annoying. The characters all turn out to be self destructive idiots, which is OK, that's the point of the story. But then it all gets resolved over a few pages without any great detail and everybody is happy again. Disappointing really.
Book-shelf Shelf

What can you say? Well for one Its Mike Gayle and true to form Mike never lets you down. He writes the way a guy feels and what goes on in their minds. having said that this book was more a story and not such a deep book as with his other. Still hilariously funny and extremely enjoyable.
Nina
Aug 13, 2011 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is there to say? If you like Mike Gayle's books, you're going to love this one. I certainly did. it's got the flow, it's funny and there's an occasional tear to shed. It gives me a great pleasure to read stories from a male point of view.
Rency Patcheco
Had so much fun reading this book.... the humor is exquisite!! I am more enlightened now on how men think and why they think what they do, if at all they do care to indulge in such extravagance!! hahahahahaa. Loved this book!!
Mariefitriani
Mar 16, 2011 Mariefitriani rated it really liked it
I've always loved Gayle's sense of humour. This book is about the 'drama' of the Bachelors, and it's so wonderful to 'follow' a family closely and how they feel about each other. Can't wait for the next ones!
  • Men From The Boys (Harry Silver, #3)
  • The Seven Year Itch (Jack & Amy, #3)
  • My Girlfriend's Boyfriend
  • Making Mischief
  • Star Struck
  • Sex and Sunsets
  • Call the Midlife: And Whatever You Do … Don’t Give Me that ‘Midlife Crisis’ Bulls***t!
  • Mum on the Run
  • Why Do Fools Fall in Love?
  • Without Alice
  • Getting Rid of Mister Kitchen
  • The Icing on the Cake
  • Sabrina: 1 - El mundo: 0
  • The Look of Love
  • Seeing Red
  • Mort aux cons
  • If Only You Knew
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli
More about Mike Gayle...