Start by marking “Taking Care of Charlie (Yearning Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Taking Care of Charlie (Yearning Love, #1)

Taking Care of Charlie (Yearning Love #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Charlie is surprised to discover the love of his life isn’t is straight as he always thought.

When Charlie moved to the big city to get away from small town life and explore his sexuality, little did he know the man he’d always yearned for didn’t just happen to move to the same area.

Marcus James had come to continue his lifelong goal of taking care of Charlie.
ebook
Published June 20th 2011 by Total E-Bound

To ask other readers questions about Taking Care of Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Care of Charlie

Mandy*reads obsessively*
Feb 13, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Nik :)
GFY, but it seems Marcus always knew he wanted Charlie and only Charlie, so he kept busy with woman until it was time to share this little tidbit with his soulmate Charlie!
I didn't quite get the not telling Charlie that he loves him and wants him, sometime in the last 10years, but it was romantic and sweet how much they loved each other, but and this was a big but for me, having Marcus treat everyone else, especially the woman in his life so callously didn't endear him to me or show me how much
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Books like these are a guilty pleasure for me. They border on the edge of unrealistic but still give me a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I read them.

In this case, it was a sweet, short story I enjoyed very much. Marcus' devotion to Charlie and patiently waiting for the right time to finally make Charlie his was extremely sweet to me. I love it when guys have a certain possessiveness when it comes to another. Granted, when it gets into stalker territory it's not as enjoyable but in this case Marcus
Ami
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
2.5

This was such a guilty pleasure. Still, it was a pleasure. I had to suspend my disbelief for this story. I wasn't expecting to have to do that but, hey, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Say hello to Marcus, Charlie and Charlie's evil ex whose name I can't remember. We'll call him E.E. for the sake of this review. The story opens with Charlie waking up in the hospital after E.E. has beat the crap out of him. I liked Charlie right away. E.E. had hit Charlie before and Charlie decides
L-D
Okay - this book was very short and it was extremely unbelievable. These two men have loved each other for YEARS. It's like, come on already, stop being idiots. But despite all the ridiculousness of the plot, there was a sweetness to it that I was just in the mood for. On another given day I may have rated this 3 stars.
Tam
Jul 26, 2011 Tam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This is a friends-to-lovers story with a twist, one of the men is GFY, but he knows it and is just waiting to take action. Marcus is six years older than Charlie, and has been looking out for Charlie since he moved to their small home town at the age of 16. He’s always known Charlie was the one for him, but until he felt Charlie was old enough, and had his chance to sow his wild oat, Marcus has been dating women and saving his gay virginity. (If such a thing exists.)

He followed Charlie to San Fr
Edina Rose
This is a Gay-For-You story.

"I firmly believed I'd been born with two purposes in life. To be a doctor and to take care of Charlie Summers, the sweetest man ever to set foot on this earth."

Marcus and Charlie are childhood friends. The friendship started when 16-year-old Marcus saved 10-year-old Charlie from a bully. Since then, Marcus has been looking after Charlie and when the book starts, Charlie is a talented art student and Marcus is a Doctor.

Marcus is six years Charlie's senior, built, no
Brenda (b)
This was a fairly short story (about 50 pages in the pdf version I have). It was told in first person and the point of view alternated back and forth between the two main characters. I was drawn in and I liked Charlie and Marcus a lot. I'd classify this as gay-for-you. The word that keeps popping into my mind about it is sweet, but I'm not sure that's appropriate. The plot involved an abusive ex-boyfriend and kidnapping. I guess the more I think about it, it's the main characters that are sweet. ...more
Dee
3.25 stars probably.

I read several of the MM Romance group Love's Landscapes stories today so I was feeling the GFY vibe from them and this book popped up. It was OK. It had some weird reasoning from Marcus as to his woman loving ways. It was typical Amber Kell in brevity and in strong big man with petite effeminate man, but also typically well written, so fair enough. Though the ending felt rushed (view spoiler)
Lucy
3.5 rounded up. Marcus is the perfect man. The perfect straight man, and the best friend Charlie has ever had. Charlie has terrible taste in men, and chooses poorly, while Marcus is always there to pick up the pieces. I liked them both, but the length of the story got in the way of really connecting with them. I would have liked to see more of a build up, and the issues with Isaac were solved too quickly.
MandyM
Recommended by Mika for the QGB3 challenge. Too short and suffers from M/M sequelitis! I get frustrated with Amber Kell because I think she can write but she sticks to these easy formulaic shorts. These two MC's seriously need their heads read but otherwise it's fluffy and light and it's a good way to avoid doing the dishes for half an hour.
Phaney
Feb 11, 2014 Phaney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This happy little Gay For You story is still very cute on the second reading.

Of course indulging in details a little more would have been nice; plus multiple first person perspective is not a good idea without strong voices. But these issues I was already prepared for.
The ending could really have been longer – (view spoiler)
Honey
This is why I don’t really go for gay-for-you stories; it leaves too much room for reasoning such as “if I fuck women that’s OK”. As much as I liked Charlie, what a self-centered asshole Marcus turned out to be! He was so busy thinking he was right, he never sat Charlie down and asked him what he wanted and needed and therefore avoided all the years they were apart. While Marcus was off fucking women, Charlie was miserable thinking Marcus would never want him. How original. This paragraph just a ...more
TracyGee
I love Amber Kell's books. You get a nice easy read with great Characters.
Charlie is a sweet artist who picks the wrong boyfriend. He is in love with his straight best friend.
Marcus is a Doctor who has always looked after Charlie and has loved him since he was a boy.
I love how this book plays out and we get a HEA.
piggybooker
3.5 stars was on the shelf(:D) about this when i read the blurb but liked the overall story, although felt it was a little short, would have liked for more of a back story and build up(more angsty?) but definitely loved marcus being 'not' gay hero for charlie ^.^
Leona Bowman
Short but sweet!

IT might be a short story. but it was well written. ex boyfriend goes a little crazy. but the hero is there to save him in the end. soul mates. I hope amber writes some more of these 2. :)
Alina Neacşu
only 52 pag why ??
Veronica /  V
I'm reading at the moment another book by Amber and I'm loving it so much, that I can't believe this is the same Author.
So many things were wrong with this story. Marcus having sex with other woman while he wait for Charlie to grow up. And Charlie been abused by his ex boyfriend and needed Marcus to help him to keep his life in order because he is so needy he can't do it on his on. Both characters have many flaws for me to enjoy this story. 52 pages were more than enough for me.
Iris
I had a hard time of thinking as this story as contemporary. It seemed a little bit more like fantasy to me. What Marcus feels for Charlie is a bit too "magical" to be real. I actually didn't like him that much, I mean who waits till his loved one has gone over his "wild" ways, while hurting him because of it? Doing this while he claims that Charlie is the love of his life?? Pretty contradicting to me....
Apart from that little annoying thing, it was still a nice story.
Jen
For what it was, it was well written. It was so short. It could have had a lot of meat in this story, but it was a fluffy, light, happy-ending read. Not sure if I'll read this one again or not. I will admit that I did read it a second time, but that's becaue I forgot the story and was looking for something to read. If I had remembered the story, I don't think I would have chosen to read it again.
jules0623
Meggie
I know this story has a plot and it's even well written, but I simply didn't like it. The idea, of wishing for a person you know from your youth and knowing he is your soul mate, and letting him live his own life, with unreal facts of being just best friends, doesn't sit well with me. Those kind of plots are to cheesy to be good.
Ryoma Gartre
Rachel
It all kinda flew by, but it was a very sweet, fluffy story, all that I look for when I want to read something from Amber Kell. I know I am going to get a happy ending! Cute read, wish it had been longer to learn more about the characters...definitely will look forward to more in this series.
Katie
I thought it was a cute read I only with it was longer so there was more time to see the relationship develop.
Blackravens Reviews
4.5 ravens. Ms. Kell created a wonderful story that included an exciting plot with suspense and romance. The love scenes were sweet and truly romantic. To view this review in its entirety, please visit http://www.blackravensreviews.com/?p=...
CB
A very sweet short story - good character development and lots of action, which was surprising considering it was not very long. I immediately read the next book in the series "Protecting Francis" and that was just as entertaining.
Tj
Jan 01, 2015 Tj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A sweet gay for you story. I think because it was so short the depth of lacking. Would have loved a little more detail on the two main characters. The whole story flew by. I still enjoyed it.
Ashley Cox
While I like it, I felt it was way too short and everything kinda just ... happened. If you are looking for a quick romantic/sappy-ish read, then I'd give this one a go.
  • Bad Boys, Bad Boys (Boys in Blue, #1)
  • Ralston's Way (Prentiss, #1)
  • Hawk's Pretty Baby (Brac Pack, #2)
  • Cowboy Keeper (Blaecleah Brothers, #2)
  • Hidden Force (Tennessee Cops, #1)
  • A Pint Light (Vampires & Mages & Weres, Oh My!, #1)
  • Confessions (Cattle Valley, #25)
  • High Flow (EMS Heat, #7)
  • No One Should Be Alone
  • Hot in Here
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • Raising Seth (First Time #1)
  • Lift Your Voice
  • Man to Man (Hero, #1)
  • Micah (Marius Brothers, #1)
  • Southern Winterland (By Degrees, #0.5)
  • Beautiful Harmony (Conquest, #5.5)
  • Designs of Desire (Desires Entwined, #1)
Amber Kell is one of those quiet people they always tell you to watch out for. She lives in Dallas with her husband, two sons, and one extremely stupid dog.

She also writes under the name Mikela Q. Chase
More about Amber Kell...

Yearning Love (3 books)
  • Protecting Francis (Yearning Love, #2)
  • In Broussard's Care (Yearning Love #3)
From Pack to Pride (Supernatural Mates #1) Attracting Anthony (Moon Pack, #1) Trials of Tam (The Larson Legacy, #1) Mate Hunt (Dragonmen, #1) A Prideful Mate (Supernatural Mates #2)

“Francis, I need to borrow your car. Bring gloves."

He laughed hysterically over the line. "why? Are you trying to hide evidence?" I didn't bother laughing with him.

"Shit" Francis cursed. "Please don't tell me I need to bring a shovel.”
18 likes