Start by marking “Harold's Trip to the Sky” as Want to Read:
Harold's Trip to the Sky

Harold's Trip to the Sky (Harold #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  225 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews

With his magic purple crayon, Harold draws himself into a rocket voyage to Mars, then safely back to earth just in time for breakfast.

Library Binding, 64 pages
Published January 1st 1957 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Harold's Trip to the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harold's Trip to the Sky

midnightfaerie
Aug 10, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My 5 yr old son is starting to love everything science, and so this is one of his personal favorite Harold books. From rocket ships to the planet Mars, from shooting stars to aliens, you have it all in this exciting Sci-fi story that Harold finds himself drawn in. It's enjoyed by all my children, no matter the age, including me, as I love to read them to the kids. I'd put them somewhere between a level 1 and level 2 reading level, which is perfect for my 5 yr old who is starting to read on his ...more
Patrick
Dec 26, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing
This is my little boy's Favorite of the Harold books. Probably because it's got a rocket in it.

It's a little spookier than the others, (which isn't saying much, as the others aren't scary at all) I mention this because my oldest boy went through a phase where a lot of things were scary to him, and this one was still in his comfort zone during that, while still being a little bit titillating to him.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Harolds Trip to the Sky (Harold #3), Crockett Johnson pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
عنوان: هارولد به آسمان سفر میکند کتاب 3؛ نویسنده و تصویرگر: کراکت جانسون؛ مترجم: فاطمه حجوانی؛ تهران، قدیانی، 1390؛ در 64 ص، مصور، فروست: مجموعه قصه های هارولد 3؛ شابک: 9789645367228؛ موضوع: داستانهای خیال انگیز کودکان از نویسندگان قرن 20 م
Amanda
Oct 30, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
There are some werid/odd phrasing in this book that can leave a reader confused. However, overall, it is a fun and creative Harold book. It has most of the elements of the first/original Harold book whle tackling a different area. I love that the author did this so skillfully as Harold has to hold on to certain traits, characteristics, etc or the book wouldn't hold the same fun appeal.
Fjóla
I really like Harold's creativity, although the story line in this book is a tad odd. It opens with a conversation about the dark, but I'm not sure what the purpose of it it is. Such as: Harold "made sure there was a moon so he wouldn't see things in the dark"?!? "He wondered about the things people see in the dark, and where they came from."
"Then he remembered how the government has fun in the desert." Considering when this book was published, makes me wonder what the author could have been sm
Sonya Feher
Feb 25, 2009 Sonya Feher rated it really liked it
Maybe it's just because I grew up near Los Alamos, NM, but I totally love Harold's remembering how the government has fun in the desert. My son loves to tell me the story as I turn the pages. He especially likes to say, "damaging crack" and "Harold ran." He laughs out loud every time we find out that the bowl of oatmeal is not a flying saucer. Harold's Trip to the Sky may be more fun than the original story.
Liz
Nov 14, 2010 Liz rated it liked it
This book is truly bizarre. My son loves Harold, and loves the moon, so I was delighted to find this book. But, when I read it, I was shocked by the Cold War era references in it. While walking in the desert, Harold gets bored, and tries to think of something to do. "Then he remembered how the government has fun in the desert. It shoots off rockets!" Never did I think nuclear testing would make its way into my bedtime story sessions with a 3 year old. So weird.
Sarah Adamson
This was our first encounter with Harold and his purple crayon. I like the concept quite a lot although some of the storytime is a little bizarre - governments test rockets in the desert, flying saucers are scary.
We read it as a bedtime story so I read it in the most funny way possible in the hope it didn't scare my daughter and she then couldn't stop laughing!
Timothy Boyd
Feb 09, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite series of books as a young beginning reader. My imagination was a lot like Harold's I just didn't have the crayon to make things happen. If you have kids or grand-kids these are a great set of book to introduce them to the world of reading. Highly recommended.
Skylar Burris
Dec 26, 2007 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents of 3-5 yr olds
Shelves: childrens
This is my daughter's favorite Harold book. What I like about the Harold books is that the language is not at all dumbed down; it uses excellent vocabulary, but it is still somehow accessible to young kids who delight in the imaginative stories.
Joshua's Mom
Aug 13, 2016 Joshua's Mom rated it really liked it
Our least favorite Harold book so far but still really fun. I don't think it is for those who are too young to be scared of the dark (because this might make them scared of the dark) and maybe not for some children who are currently scared of the dark.
Elizabeth
interesting commentary on the government: “But there isn’t much else to do on a desert, Harold realized as he looked around, except maybe play in the sand. Then he remembered how the government has fun on the desert. It shoots off rockets.”
Natalie
Aug 01, 2012 Natalie rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Thought this would be a continuation on the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" but was sorely disappointed. The book didn't hold my kids interest whatsoever, and the storyline was not captivating in the least.
Theresa
Aug 29, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a little boy and his crayon go on a great adventure to outer space, but find there is no place like home
Katy Brandes
Aug 08, 2011 Katy Brandes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: atticus
We love Crockett Johnson's stories of Harold's adventures, but this one was kind of random in its direction. So it's not one of our favorites. Still very cute, though.
Megan B
Apr 03, 2008 Megan B rated it liked it
BOTH of my kids are MAJOR fans of Harold and his magical purple crayon. This was was my least favorite so far. It was still good, worth a read.
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2007
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Charissa
Charissa rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2007
Sierra Roberson
Sierra Roberson rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2007
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Jayda
Jayda rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2008
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Amy Gettinger
Amy Gettinger rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2009
Zooey Zachary
Zooey Zachary rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • How the Cat Swallowed Thunder
  • The Happy Egg
  • Who Needs Donuts?
  • The Rainbow Goblins
pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
More about Crockett Johnson...

Harold (7 books)