Start by marking “Spike: Asylum ” as Want to Read:
Spike: Asylum

Spike: Asylum (Spike Comics (Buffy Vampire Slayer))

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  859 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
When the Monahan Family asks Spike to find their daughter Ruby, he accepts. The problem? Ruby's a half-demon and has been checked into the Mosaic Wellness Center, a rehab facility for vampires, demons, and other creatures of the night. The solution - Spike checks himself in as a patient. But there's another, slightly bigger problem - the hundreds of super-powered, supernat ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Spike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spike

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss WhedonBuffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss WhedonBuffy the Vampire Slayer by Brian K. VaughanBuffy the Vampire Slayer by Drew GoddardFray by Joss Whedon
Ultimate Buffy the Vampire Slayer List
29th out of 212 books — 77 voters
Angel by Brian LynchSpike by Brian LynchSpike by Brian LynchAngel by John ByrneSpike by Brian Lynch
Best of IDW Comics
3rd out of 18 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Alice Rachel
Jun 09, 2016 Alice Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was a good story. : )
Arie ☂
I love a good asylum story. It's no coincidence that these were the first two BtVS/AtS comics I ever bought:

I'm also very fond of Brian Lynch's Spike. Asylum and the follow-up Shadow Puppets work beautifully together. Shadow Puppets handles the funny and absurd (because PUPPETS), while Asylum is a bit more serious and tackles how Spike deals with guilt post-soul and his motivations. I'm really looking forward to reading Lynch's After the Fall arc for Spike.

Rob
Sep 28, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing
Every fan who watched Buffy and Angel waiting for a grand, ultimate Spikesploitation that never really came to be, owes it to themselves to read 'Spike: Asylum'. Don't let the generic-sounding premise dissuade you - the story inside is a painstaking deconstruction of William the Bloody that goes right down into the ugly sprouting roots of his warts-and-all. Spike may be cool, he may be aware of it and we may all love him for it, but Bryan Lynch wisely avoids any fanboy fantasy - frequently pokin ...more
Feather Mista
May 02, 2012 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de la franquicia
Recommended to Feather by: Que estaba a mano
El guion no es ninguna maravilla, pero junta el suficiente mérito como para que no tenga que promediar para abajo, pese al pedorrísimo dibujo. Cuando pueda seguir "Angel tras la caída" voy a ver qué tan canónico sería esta historia. Pero como Lynch estuvo involucrado en ambos proyectos, quiero creer que muy.
Kara Owens
Jul 20, 2010 Kara Owens rated it it was amazing
I was about to give this 4 stars based on its story line (plus the fact that Whedon had no involvement with this novel's production), but in the end it's 5 stars: after seeing this, Whedon decided to work with Lynch to do "Angel: After the Fall" and that says something!
Indah Threez Lestari
Well written. In this story, we learn how Spike feels about his horrible sins in the past. Maybe he doesn't seek redemption like Angel, but he does his atonement every which way he can.

And Spike doesn't vamp out in most of the fights!
Matt
Oct 17, 2007 Matt added it
Again, maybe I'm baised. But my good friend wrote this. And it's good. Really, really good.
YoSafBridg
May 25, 2008 YoSafBridg rated it really liked it
Yesterday/today (it's always so confusing in the wee hours what to call the day~because i haven't been to bed yet so it doesn't really seem like yesterday~but anyway...) was kind of a bitch~i was feeling like shit (have yet another cold and so does Dixie~if cats do indeed get colds i'm finding/getting conflicting information on that front~but the fact that my twelve year old cat is sneezing and congested/having trouble breathing disturbs me terribly.)

My library system started its summer reading
Edward Petersen
Jul 07, 2016 Edward Petersen rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was a great little story. True it has little consequence on the universe and I am guessing is no longer canon, but it was enjoyable just in itself. I was not a big fan of the artwork, but the numerous pop-culture and Buffyverse references made up for it. From Tango & Cash, to Tommy Wiseau, to the Firefly theme. Some were very clear homage, but some seemed so slight I thought I was kidding myself (like T&C). But Ivo Shandor? I knew that right away. Brought up YouTube to watch the jai ...more
Hayley Knighten
As the title suggests, Spike commits himself to an asylum for supernaturally unstable beings to find a young girl whom he believes is being mistreated. Once inside, the tables turn and Spike finds that there is no way out.

This is the series that made Joss Whedon take notice of writer Brian Lynch. Whedon was so impressed by the writing that he had Lynch write Spike:After the Fall and insisted that the telepathic fish, Betta George return. I added Asylum to my reading marathon for this reason and
Karen-Leigh
Sep 30, 2015 Karen-Leigh rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Reading anything has almost more to do with what is going on inside the reader than what is on the page. In this case, my own collywobbles regarding institutions had a great effect on my enjoyment of this story.
Alex
Dec 12, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Have been meaning to go back and read this for ages. I wasn't disappointed.

Great book, chocked full of wonderful references even if the British slang is a tad off in places.
Mairi
Mar 23, 2015 Mairi rated it really liked it
A solid Spike story, providing some insight and growth for his character. Introduces some of the characters that appear in later Spike comics and in Angel: After the Fall.
Jenna
Jun 18, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A very in-character, fun read. Fans of Spike will love this one. As a Spike stan I loved the story and art, as a Whedon fan I appreciated all the quirky references.
May 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this comic series. I can't want to see how it ties into Buffy season 8!
J-Lynn
Nov 05, 2007 J-Lynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Buffy fans, fans of monster comics
This is a fantastic example of how powerful a graphic novel can be when written well. The pictures in this issue are stunning and dramatic, but it is the witty writing and great plot development that make this a real winner. Brian Lynch really understands the enigmatical character of Spike and fans of the Buffy series will cheer for the anti-hero in this intricate story. I don't want to give anything away because I felt like I was one of the characters while reading the story. I highly recommend ...more
Michael
Apr 26, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Nifty.
Alexa
Sep 07, 2014 Alexa rated it liked it
Spike is probably my favorite character in the Buffy-verse so I was very excited to read this series. I definitely think that the first few issues were stronger than the last few, but overall I really liked it. I think the story was great and the dialogue felt true to the characters, but I have read so many Buffy the Vampire Slayer graphic novels that it is hard to blow me away at this point. The Spike IDW comics are not as good as the Dark Horse ones, but this series is worth a read.
Trin
Aug 20, 2008 Trin rated it really liked it
Whee! Possibly the best BtVS/AtS comic I have read: Lynch nails the characterization in this and also dishes up an engaging plot filled with interesting OCs, a lovely Lorne appearance, and a bunch of hilarious in-jokes. If there were a Spike spinoff (if only) this would make a fantastic episode—it’s certainly much better than what I’ve read of the Angel: Season 6 comic. (Sorry, Joss.) I hope I can get my hands on Lynch’s other effort, which I believe involves Spike doing Vegas. *g*
M
Aug 01, 2011 M rated it really liked it
Writer Brian Lynch expands the Whedonverse with an exploration of Spike's time in LA. Suckered into attempting to rescue an innocent girl from a monstrous treatment facilty, Spike finds new enemies and allies in a rousing romp of a story. Lynch proves his chracters and writing have staying power, as this book is what gets him the nod from Whedon himself for Angel: After the Fall.
Sep 22, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Falls somewhere between Season 7 and 8, but before Spike: Shadow Puppets. Spike finds himself in Mosiac - to rescue someone, of course - where they "teach" the supernatural beasties to be good citizens.

And since its Spike, trouble follows him. And nothing is as it seems.
Matt
Nov 21, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
It took me two tries to get this book from Interlibrary Loan and it was worth it. More nerdy writer's commentary track. Perfect mix of humor and action. Plot twists! I finally got all the references from Spike: Shadow Puppets!
I learned a little about Zoroastrianism!
Dec 08, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Where, at last, I figured out where the damn giant telepathic beta fish came from. Worth reading just for that. Add all the Firefly and REALLY BIG Douglas Adams allusions, and it is geektasticly awesome.
Angela
May 16, 2012 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, idw
Spike goes to an asylum to save a young girl, but is instead captured and tortured in there. Spike is in character but there's nothing special about the storyline to make it memorable. A disappointment.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 StrangeBedfellows rated it really liked it
As far as I'm concerned, it's Spike ... 'nuf said. Fan obsession aside, this is a fun book with clever illustrations and an entertaining story line. I absolutely recommend it.
Andrea
May 25, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
A must-read for Spike fans, but suffers from being a little bit confusing and having a lot of characters for a fairly short book.
Victoria
Aug 01, 2016 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read Shadow Puppets before this one, so I knew I would enjoy Lynch's story. So fun to revisit the Buffyverse.
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 23, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
A solid Spike story that feels true to the series(es) and has lots of nice details of the Buffy world.
Lindsey
Aug 10, 2011 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Meant to only read a bit of it before bed but ended up staying up to finish it.
Miranda
Jul 22, 2016 Miranda rated it it was amazing
I loved the Firefly references in this one. Great story too.
  • Spike vs. Dracula
  • Tales of the Slayers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #1)
  • Angel, Volume 1: Immortality For Dummies
  • Angel Omnibus
  • Angel: Aftermath (Volume 5)
  • Angel & Faith: Family Reunion (Angel & Faith, #3)
  • Angel: Only Human
  • Spike: The Devil You Know
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, #7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, #5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike & Dru (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Panel to Panel
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
Brian Michael Lynch is an American film and comic book writer.
More about Brian Lynch...

Spike Comics (Buffy Vampire Slayer) (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Spike
  • Spike: Shadow Puppets
  • Spike vs. Dracula
  • Spike: Old Times (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
  • Spike, Volume 1: Alone Together Now