Start by marking “Rebel Agent (Star Wars: Dark Forces, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rebel Agent (Star Wars: Dark Forces, #2)

Rebel Agent (Star Wars: Dark Forces #2)

Kyle Katarn is a decorated graduate from the Imperial Military Academy who would forfeit his very life for the Empire. But he wouldn't forfeit his father's life, and that's what the Empire has taken. Kyle is willing to do anything to avenge his father's death, which is what the Rebel Alliance is counting on.
Published March 11th 1998 by Dark Horse (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Agent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel Agent

Rob
Jan 12, 2017 Rob rated it really liked it
Story just got better, I want this to be a T.V. mini series.
William Galaini
Jun 22, 2013 William Galaini rated it it was ok
Often books that are a larger part of an established cannon are shackled in their scope and packing very few surprises. Star Wars: Rebel Agent is no exception.

Pulled from the award-winning computer game series 'Dark Forces-Jedi Knight' this novel clarifies various gaps in Kyle Katarn's journey from Imperial Stormtrooper to Jedi Academy trainer. What compelled me to read it is that the first act of this novel deals primarily with Stormtrooper training and Stormtroopers in general.

What a great ide
Jaime
Sep 11, 2015 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place 5 years after Kyle betrayed the Empire. Yet before we get into his story, it flashbacks to his father, Morgan Katarn.
I first listened to the audio drama and then read the story. The illustrations were worse in the graphic novel: They didn't match with the written descriptions of characters and situtions. Like Maw had no legs too early in the illustrations, Sariss had long hair, and Kyle in bacta wasn't in a fetal position.

Morgan discovers a "bouncer" species which sound t
JediKnight26
Dec 26, 2014 JediKnight26 rated it really liked it
I thought that the first book of the series was pretty good, but I like this one even more, since it reveals more about the character of Kyle Katarn, a former imperial officer, who has now become a soldier for the Rebel Alliance and a self-taught Jedi Knight. It is especially interesting to see Kyle learning how to use his Jedi powers, especially since he has not had any formal training and to see him struggle with light-side & dark-side issues.
The plot of the story is very intriguing sinc
Darryl Dobbs
Apr 21, 2016 Darryl Dobbs rated it liked it
Kyle Katarn is back and according to the new ‘Legends’ timeline, several years have passed. But according to the flow of the book and reading between the lines of conversation, it indicates that only several months have passed since Soldier for the Empire. Again, so leeway in your imagination must be given. Katarn is a likable character and budding Jedi. The trilogy was written in the mid- to late 90s and so there is some confusion regarding all the “Dark Jedi”. But that’s likely because the Sit ...more
Aaron
May 15, 2016 Aaron rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
From my review of Book 1:
Each book is a short hybrid graphic novella. The pace of this book moves along too quickly because it has to because it's based on a goddamn video game and some tired tropes, but is just Star Wars-y enough to be interesting at times. The art scattered throughout is full of weird compositions or odd choices of scenes to illustrate, and the quality ranges from good to amateurish.

All that mostly holds true, although the art is simply amateurish, the selections & composi
Mark
*Audiobook*

As a fan of the video game 'Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II' I did enjoy this (this book strangely covers only half of the game).

A big problem with this book is that it adds even more random Jedi who were hanging aroud during the original trilogy.

Set about one year after ROTJ the story seems to wrap itself up and from what I've read should not have to effect any other parts of the 'Legends' universe. Unless you are a massive completionist and are going to go go on to read the Le
Jorge de la Vega
Oct 23, 2016 Jorge de la Vega rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much more to say that I didn't say about the first one, William C. Dietz may be a lousy writer when left to his own devices, but he can get the job done when adapting an existing plot and not trying to come up with his own (save for that less-than-stellar Halo: Combat Evolved novelization, that is). Kyle Katarn is a likable protagonist with an exciting, if cliché and utterly predictable plot. But what did you expect? It was 90's gaming, and these games were no Final Fantasy or anything of th ...more
Phillip
Feb 09, 2010 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked the action. even though it is a very low level book that i could have read at the age of 11 i still like the story. this is probably because i have played the sequel video game, Star Wars Jedi Knight II, Jedi Outcast. I think i have played that game for more hours than i have read school books. its a fun game. the book made me appreciate the minor details in the game that show the personalities of the characters.
Jesse Booth
Feb 08, 2012 Jesse Booth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was a filler book, and as much as the first one was fluff, this was even more of the nice soft stuff...

It wasn't bad, though. Some parts were quite exciting, but it seemed to take a long time to do a lot of small tasks. Obviously the story was created with the third book in mind, so I'm excited to see Katarn learn how to control the force a little better.
Lisa
The version of this book I read was an audiobook adaptation of the graphic novel adaptation of the game.

It was an okay story, but somehow Kyle Katarn acquired a lightsaber and later that day became officially a Jedi Knight. I'm kind of confused about that.
Steven Shinder
This story is interesting because it sets up Kyle Katarn's training as a Jedi and search for the Valley of the Jedi, but it feels a bit redundant. I also feel that the dialogue relies too much on callbacks to lines from the films.
Brian
Mar 14, 2014 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i forgot this was based on a video game! it is enjoyable, but a bit contrived. i dont really like the dark jedi, they seem really dumb.
Mirrordance
Non era cominciato male come side story ma poi.... finisce in fumettone!!
Matthew

Science Fiction
Star Wars
Tony
Feb 21, 2013 Tony rated it it was ok
Now I don't have to play the Dark Forces games to know what happened in them.
Daniel Rose
Jul 20, 2012 Daniel Rose rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
The middle book in the series seemed to drag. I guess when your following a video game story line it's kind of hard to make it any better. I'm glad I read it won't be reading it again.
George
Nov 24, 2015 George rated it it was amazing
Great trilogy
Paul O'connor
Paul O'connor rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Rodolfo
Rodolfo rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2008
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2010
Frank Spano
Frank Spano rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Lane
Lane rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Halden Howell
Halden Howell rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Kent Rhodes
Kent Rhodes rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Henry Bernberg
Henry Bernberg rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Andrew P
Andrew P rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2017
Jim rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2013
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 6: On the Fields of Battle
  • Star Wars: Chewbacca
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 2: Council of Blood (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #2)
  • Trapped (Star Wars: Rebel Force #5)
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 1: Betrayal
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Mandatory Retirement (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #9)
  • Dark Force Rising
  • Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka (Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures, #3)
  • Star Wars Infinities - A New Hope
  • Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire - Evolution
  • Queen of the Empire (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #5)
  • Star Wars: Boba Fett - Death, Lies, & Treachery
William Corey Dietz grew up in the Seattle area, spent time with the Navy and Marine Corps as a corpsman, graduated from the University of Washington and worked as a surgical technician, college instructor, and news writer. Later he worked for US West in a number of different marketing communications and public relations related positions, before leaving to accept a job as Director of Public Relat ...more
More about William C. Dietz...

Star Wars: Dark Forces (3 books)
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces - Soldier for the Empire (Star Wars: Dark Forces, #1)
  • Jedi Knight (Star Wars: Dark Forces, #3)