Start by marking “Adam's Gift: A Memoir of a Pastor's Calling to Defy the Church's Persecution of Lesbians and Gays” as Want to Read:

Jimmy Creech, a United Methodist pastor in North Carolina, was visited one morning in 1984 by Adam, a longtime parishioner whom he liked and respected. Adam said that he was gay, and that he was leaving The United Methodist Church, which had just pronounced that “self-avowed practicing homosexuals” could not be ordained. He would not be part of a community that excluded hi ...more
Published April 4th 2011 by Duke University Press Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Adam's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adam's Gift

Alex
Jul 12, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it
Stars: 3.5-4/5

Overall
An inspiring and educational telling of one religious man's journey.

Review
What I read of this was a while ago, so many of the details are fuzzy. I didn't stop because I wasn't enjoying it, but rather because I became somewhat bored with it. Part of this could be my unfamiliarity with autobiographies. He faced many struggles and he overcame as many as he could. I think if I had continued, I would have enjoyed it, but I couldn't entice myself to return to it either. It was fai
pianogal
Mar 21, 2017 pianogal rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, 2017-reads
Ugh. This one was hard to read because there's really no trouble like church trouble. It would be interesting to get another perspective on the story b/c Jimmy, while probably trying to be as honest as possible, still kind of made himself out to be a martyr. My church is going through this discussion now, and I really hope that we handle it better. Hopefully time has helped heal the UMC a least a little.
Nora
Mar 31, 2011 Nora rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir about a man who has devoted his life to changing the Methodist church away from homophobia and towards respect of LGBTQ people.

I won it in a Goodreads giveaway, and to be completely honest, when I received it, I thought, "Oh no. I'm not going to like this because it's about religion. I have less-than-zero interest in god, religion, churches, Jesus, religious people, etc. Why did I greedily enter this giveaway for a book I won't like?"

However, I was pleasantly sur
Cynthia
Feb 11, 2016 Cynthia rated it really liked it
I cannot begin to express the importance of Reverend Jimmy Creech's memoir for me in this season. While perhaps none other will value it in quite the same way, I recommend it for all, particularly any considering the United Methodist Church's ongoing harm of LGBTQ persons and any who desire to extend the full ministry of the church to them (us). Rev. Creech has given his life and ministry to care for the excluded and attempting to lead the church toward love, justice, and affirmation of the dive ...more
Sadie
I had the pleasure of hearing Jimmy Creech speak in June and as he started telling his story I realized I already knew it. As a United Methodist (and one committed to changing our denominations persecution) I've studied his trials and the consequences of those trials, I just never knew who he was.

As I read this book I had incredibly mixed feelings. Strong admiration for the strength, faith, and conviction that Jimmy Creech showed to all of God's children. He made me proud to be a UM. Then there
Margie
Nov 03, 2012 Margie rated it it was amazing
This is a brave testimony of one man's fight against the bigotry and hypocrisy of the bureaucracy of the United Methodist Church (and the organized church as a whole). Through personal contact with one gay man in his congregation, Rev. Creech came to the conclusion that God loves EVERYONE and that discrimination against LGBT persons by the church is unconscionable. He chronicles his convictions, actions, and the result of his trial by the UMC. Although his credentials were eventually revoked by ...more
Kevin
Oct 30, 2011 Kevin rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiring story of faith and courage. Having had the opportunity to meet Jimmy Creech this past summer, and hear him tell his story, I wanted to read more about it. I am so thankful for people like Jimmy Creech who are providing leadership and examples of how to follow Jesus and bring the love and grace of the kingdom of God to ALL those in our lives. I hope that the organized church will leave their petty pious legalism and prejudice behind in favor of true Gospel of love and grace. ...more
Oct 15, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
It was kind of slow starting but overall I really enjoyed this book. I learned alot regarding the history of this issue and the biblical references or lack thereof. I found it especially meaningful having grown up as a united methodist and remembering lots of the internal friction within the church during that time. In addition, it was interesting to read about some local churches as well. It further re-affirmed my decision to join an episcopal church and made me proud to be a part of a denomina ...more
Kin Pier
Jan 04, 2012 Kin Pier rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
An easy read that offers insight into homosexuality and its meaning as interpreted within the United methodist Church and the Bible. Rev Creech offers substantive arguments refuting the long espoused beliefs that the Bu=ible opposes homosexuality and presents well reasoned points for accepting LGBT members into all church functions. An enjoyable book that would assist anyone dealing with these issues in their life.
Darin Strachan
Dec 19, 2011 Darin Strachan rated it really liked it
This is a good memoir - well written with a good message. He begins by explaining how he came to realize that Christianity's message against homosexuality is against the teachings of Jesus, his research into sexuality, and his in depth look at what the Bible says about homosexuality and why. From their, the story follows his acts of civil disobedience within and outside of The United Methodist Church. A solid read with deep understanding and compassion.
Dorothy
Nov 27, 2012 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
I totally admire Jimmy Creech. My own priest was kicked out once he told the congregation that "they ought to be pissed" when everyone found out how some priest were molesting children and getting away with it. He suffered so much for standing up for what was right. This book reminded me of that. I say good for them. It wasn't easy, and good for someone to have the guts to stand up for what is right, I wish them the best.
Theresa
Apr 01, 2013 Theresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013
I liked the beginning of this book a lot. However, as it progressed, while I had respect for the writer for his actions and for sticking to his convictions, I had a hard time staying focused. I am not all that interested in the inner workings of the Methodist church and the government that is in place there. I wanted to explore different beliefs related to gays in the church. This book was much longer than it needed to be, but the basic story is interesting.
David
Mar 16, 2011 David rated it really liked it
This is a good story about lesbian and gay equality. Some of the hiearchy of the church at time was confusing. The book is filled with long quotes and at times it reads more as a transcript than a story. I would recommend it to anyone intersted in this issues. It was very informative on the process of change and how the small actions of one person can make a big difference.
Stella
Apr 25, 2011 Stella rated it liked it
This is an incredibly detailed, heart-felt memoir of Jimmy Creech's experience as a United Methodist pastor who defied the church to minister to gay & lesbian parishioners. Non-United Methodist readers may get bogged down in the church politics and procedure but Rev. Creech's commitment to his principles is evident.
Becky
May 12, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
This was an outstanding book. It broke my heart as an active member of the United Methodist Church. Creech's compassion and willingness to stand up to his United Methodist vows to "Resit Evil in whatever form it takes" was refreshing. The Church was not shown in a good light. The political nature of the church is very disheartening.
Beveanne
Mar 29, 2011 Beveanne rated it it was ok
he gives false hope for salvation, misrepresents scriptureal doctrine and twists words. there are sure a lot of priests and reverends who profess non-violence who'd like to meet this guy and discuss his views.
Greg Froom
Jul 26, 2013 Greg Froom rated it really liked it
A great memoir about how a straight United Methodist pastor, who once led a church in Raleigh, came to be a champion for same-sex marriage
Cris
Sep 09, 2011 Cris rated it it was amazing
An amazing story, beautifully written and touching. I couldn't put it down. I don't think I've ever said that about nonfiction before.
Tip
Aug 08, 2011 Tip rated it really liked it
Informative, challenging, and thought-provoking. A subject most will shy away from, but one we all need to carefully consider.
Stephen A. Rhodes
Stephen A. Rhodes rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Mar 10, 2014
Sep 11, 2013
Jan 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
Lara
Lara rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Julia Prater
Julia Prater rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2011
A native of Goldsboro, North Carolina, Jimmy Creech was an ordained elder in The United Methodist Church from 1970 to 1999. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a Master of Divinity from The Divinity School of Duke University. Since the United Methodist Church removed his ordination in 1999, he has worked with many social-action o ...more
More about Jimmy Creech...