Start by marking “Return of the Highlander” as Want to Read:
Return of the Highlander

Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors SM #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  476 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
What is this world he has awoken into—where metal "monsters" roar down smooth stone paths and people parade in unfamiliar costumes? Where is the home that once stood on this pile of ancient rubble? And who is this woman who sees him when no one else can . . . and who stirs the fire in his soul?

Her research into the legend of a notorious 18th-century Highland chieftan has b
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Highlander

Beth F.
Oct 11, 2008 Beth F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fact 1: I am a critical reader.
Fact 2: I read on a curve and rate most books three stars.
Fact 3: I am not a book sycophant. If I think a book is flawed, I will say so and feel no remorse.
Fact 4 : I think a fascinating article could be drafted under the following title, "The Romance Novel: Quality vs. Quantity." It would be both gentle and derogatory at the same time. Damning with faint praise. Hmm.
Fact 5: Most romance novels are really, really, really bad.
Fact 6: That doesn't stop me from read
Chandra
Jul 13, 2011 Chandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chandra by: cp7190@aol.com
AUTHOR: A time travel romance. First book written in the Immortal Warriors series. Appears to be the first book that author Sara Mackenzie has written. She wrote books 1, 2 and 3 in the series within the same year, 2006. In my humble opinion, if you have ever read, “Oh darling I love you” as the sun creeps over the mountain and the violin plays in the background. Well, guess what.

SYNOPSIS – 18th century MacLean, 21st century Bella, controlling boyfriend Brian, an annoying book agent, the Fiosai
Emily
Mar 14, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet your light-hearted and shorter version of Outlander. I didn't find the plot to be difficult and detailed as Outlander. So with that being said, this book does have flaws, but I literally breezed through it because of how entertaining it was. Return of the Highlander was exactly what I needed to knock me out of my book slump. The characters were easy to love and so was the mythology. If you're looking for something cheesy and light-hearted, this should be your go-to.
Kathrynn
This is book #1 in the Immortal Warriors series.
There is some time-travel, paranormal, and both modern and historic time periods. Whew! A nice series. Bella is thought to be abit overweight and has a very low opinion of herself. She encounters Maclean who is "released" by the powers that put him to sleep for a few hundred years until someone worthy and cabable of redeeming him came along.

Neat read. Different!
Emster
Jun 10, 2013 Emster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been on a Highlander craze lately and this book was a satisfying read. The way the author combines the past with the present is interesting and I like this twist in comparison with most books of the genre. It was something new and interesting. I enjoyed being placed into a new world with Morven's past and Arabella's present. Great read. =)
Kym
Nov 30, 2009 Kym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed this story and the authors writing style. I didn't develop a strong bond to the h/h, and that is the only thing keeping it from a higher rating. Sometimes the story is good, but you just don't develop the "awe factor" as I like to call it. I would recommend this author as a definate read, and will read more by her.
Mary Simmons
Jan 08, 2008 Mary Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I get on a particular book jag, I really follow it through! I am on a Scottish Highland romance kick right now! This one was really, really good -- the author of a book dreams of a Highland warrior, the Black Maclean, and soon he invades not only her dreams but her life! Fun, fun, book to read.
Vicki Mann
Nov 05, 2010 Vicki Mann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kinda out of the ordinary this book is. Not the usual Highlander book. A book that I just couldn't put down. I am now looking for the next two to read.
Margaret McGovern
Jul 11, 2013 Margaret McGovern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of her books and they are very good. I enjoy the time travel mixed with the historical. Hope you enjoy it!
Kathryn
Jan 25, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Return of the Highlander by Sara Mackenzie.
Cassandra
Okay, just not great.
Laura the Highland Hussy
In this first book of the Immortal Warriors, Bella is researching the Black Maclean for a book, when oh, what do ya know, he shows up one night. He's not a ghost, but he's not a man...yet. He's been awakened by a sorceress from the Between-Worlds who feels he was wronged in his death, and gives him a chance at Redemption. But he needs Arabella Ryan to help him find his way. Bella is in love with him from the second she sees his portrait in a museum, but his ghost haunting her until he can become ...more
Theresa Parker
I bought this book from the charity shop, mostly because of the title, as a Diana Gabaldon~lover, I simply had to. it was far better than I thought, imagined it just to be another cheap romance. it had several interesting twists and the author was well studied in the time and place in history. an enjoyable read on a foggy & rainy November day... <3
jD
Feb 03, 2013 jD rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay for me. I liked the characters and their back stories but I didn't care for the pacing. It could have been a novella easily. It took me a week to finish it because I was able to put it down after less than an hour of reading. Anyone that knows me knows this is a bad sign. I am giving it 3 stars because of the characters. They were easy to like and to get behind. It felt like Ms. Mackenzie is really a romance writer first and foremost. The paranormal aspects felt forced into th ...more
Genie Tedford
Jun 29, 2015 Genie Tedford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I enjoyed reading this book about immortal warriors, can't wait to start reading the next book. If was an easy read.
Veronica
A fun, easy read, but not something I would waste money on buying.
Mary
Aug 11, 2008 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Arabella is researching a scottish lord for a book with her obnoxious boyfriend and encounters the ghost of the Back Maclean (the very laird she is researching). She introduces him to the modern world and helps him to clear his name of the inaccurate historic record left after his death.

I liked the concept and the way the ghost story was written. I also liked Arabella (who is not your typical romance heroine). The book sets up future spin-offs in the same context. I would read one of the others
Lindy
Jul 18, 2010 Lindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might have given this book 4 stars, but the heroine turned stupid near the end of the book & kind of ruined it for me. Overall, it was still a pretty enjoyable read.
Embla
Dec 31, 2013 Embla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty average time travelling romance, with a hint of paranormal. Good potential but very poorly delivered.
Leah
Predictable, but I liked the writing style.
Donna
Jul 25, 2012 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too strange for me. :(
Jane Ward
Jane Ward is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2016
Arpita
Arpita marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Laura Belshaw
Laura Belshaw marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Valerie Ogden
Valerie Ogden marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Debra Culley
Debra Culley marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Hayley-Jade Alisdair
Hayley-Jade Alisdair marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
  • Highland Knight
  • Highland Fling (Highland Dream, #2)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Night Visitor
  • Healing the Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #7)
  • Once a Pirate
  • Loving the Highlander (Highlander, #2)
  • Timeless Passion
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • Master of the Highlands (Highlands, #1)
  • Till There Was You (MacLeod, #8; De Piaget #10; de Piaget/MacLeod, #15)
Kaye Bennett was born on 17 November 1957 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. She spent much of her childhood in New South Wales. She reads a great deal, and although she will read anything - mystery, thrillers and horror - romance is her favorite. She has had a varied career that has included working in the Department of Justice in Brisbane and working as a clerk with the Commonwealth government. To ...more
More about Sara Mackenzie...

Immortal Warriors SM (3 books)
  • Secrets of the Highwayman (Immortal Warriors, #2)
  • Passions of the Ghost (Immortal Warriors, #3)