Start by marking “If Only They Could Talk” as Want to Read:
If Only They Could Talk

If Only They Could Talk (All Creatures Great and Small #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  2,982 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
When the newly qualified vet, James Herriot, arrives in the small Yorkshire village of Darrowby, he has no idea of the new friends he will meet or adventures that lie ahead. From the author whose books inspired the BBC series "All Creatures Great and Small", this first volume of unforgettable memoirs chronicles James Herriot's first years as a country vet, with the signatu ...more
Published November 9th 1973 by Pan Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about If Only They Could Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Only They Could Talk

Pramod Nair
Feb 09, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Alfred Wight, the British veterinary surgeon and writer, is renowned for his semi-autobiographical works written under the name 'James Herriot', which chronicle some of the most amusing moments from his life as a veterinarian. His reminiscences as a surgeon are pleasantly mild and warm to read and his style of narration that describe his adventures with the animals and their owners is of the most hilarious form that can make even the most serious of the reader burst out in a laugh. Apart f ...more
Koen
Sep 23, 2012 Koen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ini betul-betul salah satu buku yang mempengaruhi hidupku :). Alf Wight, seorang dokter hewan dari Yorkshire, menovelisasi hidupnya dan menggunakan nama samaran James Herriot.

James Herriot adalah anak muda yang pemalu tapi kreatif dan bersemangat tinggi. Lulus sebagai dokter hewan di Skotlandia, ia memperoleh tempat kerja di sebuah kota kecil bernama Darrowby di daerah Yorkshire di Inggris. Atasannya seorang dokter hewan Siegfried Farnon, yang cerdas namun eksentrik dan pelupa, dan hidupnya seri
Ivan
Apr 08, 2015 Ivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry. I had a hard time catching my breath. It was so damn funny. It was also poignant. I love the time period - 1930s - and the locale - York. This took me forever to read. It's basically vignettes so I'd read one story and set the book down for a week. But I prefer to think of it as savoring. It was so good, and extremely well written. The humor sprung up naturally from the situations and never seemed forced. I really can't recommend this enough. I know, I know, I'm late to th ...more
Palsay
Jun 21, 2016 Palsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suka banget dengan cerita-ceritanya si James di buku ini...
Suka dengan penggambaran alam pedesaan dan orang-orangnya serta uniknya duo Farnon yang kadang bikin terpingkal-pingkal sendiri.

Dalam bayangan saya, si James ini menceritakan kejadian lucu yang dialaminya dengan muka lempeng, soalnya bahasanya juga lempeng aja sih...cuma pembaca yang membayangkan situasinya yang ga bisa menahan tawa.

Contohnya pas Sigfried menekankan pentingnya kebersihan dalam penanganan kasus hewan, malah jadi konyol k
Sharon
Jun 12, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, england
Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love animals. What many may not know is how author James Herriot's books inspired me to be a veterinarian. As a child, the answer to "What do you want to be when you grow up" was always "a vet."

While that childhood dream did not come true, I have never lost the fondness for Herriot's work. So, when this book turned up on our office swap shelf, I nabbed it.

"If Only They Could Talk" is a UK-issued book consisting of selected stories from All Creatures Great An
Caroline
Mar 08, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it
This had me guffawing with laughter in places. Such a warm and cosy read too - in spite of the often harsh life being described (it was freezing up on the Yorkshire moors in winter).

What an endearing bunch of characters. It was a bedtime read, and I realised that every night I was looking forward to going to bed, just so I could read some more....

Excellent.
Meg
Jul 07, 2013 Meg rated it it was amazing
So where do I start?

James Herriot, or in truth, James Alfred Wright, is a master storyteller, whose ability to paint scenes and emotions with only his words is truly astounding. How anyone can write so elegantly, and truthfully, is a rare and astonishing thing. His memoirs should truly be cherished, this first book setting an excellent scene for many humorous and poignant works.

However, when asked what i was reading by the many people who always strive for conversation when you are quite content
Anna
Jul 24, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
A pretty funny account of the life of a young vet in Yorkshire, with interesting characters, both animal and human.
It was a really hard world, before antibiotics and modern medicines, out in the freezing countryside at all hours, but he was content with that life, and that comes through his writing.
Eileen Monroe
I loved James Herriott's books when I was a kid... he was one of the reasons I always wanted to be a vet...
Eugene Lakinsky
Jan 24, 2017 Eugene Lakinsky rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
Дуже добра книжка. Ось як треба писати про своє життя - просто і весело.
Amelia
KIRIM SAYA KE DESANYA HERRIOT PLEASE.
Serius, saya gak heran sama sekali kenapa si Ikal bisa segitu terpananya sama Edensor (tapi kok saya gak merasa baca kata Edensor ya dibuku ini. Atau gara2 udah lupa mungkin). Ngomong2 ini reviewnya:

Ini mainstream banget, tapi saya gak punya pilihan lain selain ngomong "Jadi buku ini bercerita tentang James Herriot, dokter hewan yang lagi praktek di desa kecil di Inggris. Tentang pengalamannya." Tapi saya mencoba bikin review yang semoga bisa deskripsiin sisi
Theta Sigma
Oct 29, 2011 Theta Sigma rated it it was amazing
"If Only They Could Talk" is the first of the "All Creatures Great And Small" series of books written by James Herriot (aka Alf Wight).

After visiting Thirsk, the town upon which the fictional town of Darrowby is based, and Askrigg, the town which featured as the television version of Darrowby, I decided to blow the dust off my boxset of Herriot books.

"If Only They Could Talk" charts Herriot's first year in practice as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales working for Siegfried Farnon and is very much as
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
What a wonderful trip down memory lane this book was. I remember watching the TV series back in the 70's and 80's and picking this book up for the first time was like settling down by the fire with old friends.

Set in the Yorkshire Dales, this is the first book in a series by rookie vet James Herriot and his new life in the countryside and among the animals and his struggle to win over the old Yorkshire farmers and eccentric characters he meets there. There were so many times when I literally la
Christin Natalia
Jun 14, 2012 Christin Natalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Sebagai pecinta hewan, menurut saya buku ini bagusss banget dan saya merasa wajib memberi 5 bintang yang berarti'Luar Biasaa.' James Herriot selain dokter hewan handal juga adalah seorang pencerita ulung. Caranya menuturkan cerita sangat mengalir. Saya suka bagaimana beliau 'memberi' karakter untuk tokoh-tokohnya, yaitu Farnon bersaudara, sang penjaga rumah, tukang kebun, sekretaris, para peternak, para pemilik pasiennya, bahkan untuk para binatang-binatang itu sendiri. Deskripsinya mengenai des ...more
Dhani
Jun 25, 2016 Dhani rated it really liked it
Menurut saya, buku yang dibuat dengan sepenuh hati ini, sampai ke hati pula. Semua aspek dari ceritanya keren, mulai dari settingnya, karakter tokoh tokohnya( entah yang mana yang benar benar ada maupun hanya rekaan), sampai ke konflik di setiap episodenya. Menariknya lagi, cerita cerita yang bisa dibaca secara bab demi bab atau pun dengan memilih acak bab yang diingini, berbalut selera humor yang apik. Penulis berhasil berhasil menceritakan tentang dunianya, bahkan kepada awam seperti saya. Len ...more
YorkshireSue
Jan 14, 2008 YorkshireSue rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lovers,readers wanting laughter (& tears) from a book
Shelves: all-time-faves
Loved all the James Herriot books. My parents began to read them when I was maybe 10 or so and they would laugh out loud but I was far too cool to read what my parents did until one day I had a miserable toothache/earache and to take my mind off it I began to read one of this series of books. I too ended up laughing and simply being transported away to a different time, yet with places that seemed comfortingly familiar. (I'm from Yorkshire originally and was living there at this time.) I wrote m ...more
Gareth Evans
Sep 20, 2012 Gareth Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in my early teens around the time of the great Herriot boom; a very popular TV series, 3 feature films and parts of North Yorkshire branding themselves as 'Herriot Country'. I had fond memories of the books and the TV series and, in rereading one of the books, was worried that I would view it as sentimental and facile. However, the Herriot industry was started because the books are well written and not overly sentimental. Herriot is a clever writer, clear and direct and ca ...more
Guguk
Jan 12, 2016 Guguk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Setelah Dog's Stories dan Cat's Stories, ini kumpulan kisah "petualangan" si dokter hewan Skotlandia, James Herriot, yang kubaca (^o^)/

Kali ini dikisahkan juga mengenai hewan-hewan ternak, dan bagaimana si dokter muda yang baru lulus kuliah datang di tempat ini untuk kerja prakteknya.
Dan walau ada beberapa kisah yang pernah dimuat di buku yang sebelumnya kubaca, cerita-cerita di buku ini benar-benar mempesona dengan cara khas Mr. Herriot.

Mulai dari membantu kelahiran bayi sapi dan kuda yang sung
Marie
Jan 01, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
Now this was a thoroughly enjoyable little book. It was quickly read - in less than a day - but every vanilla-scented, yellowed paperback page was a sheer delight to turn. It now seems odd that it would have taken me this long to acquaint myself with James Herriot (nom de plume), but perhaps this was just the right time in life to take up the acquaintance after all. Having driven up and down the same precarious roads that he lurches along, looked up at the same balding fells and travelled parall ...more
Jun 17, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Only They Could Talk is a memoir of sorts chronicling James Herriot's first year in a veterinarian practice in the small English town of Darrowby. Composed of short accounts of day-to-day life in the practice, each story draws you further into the lives of James Herriot, his employer Siegfried Farnon, and Siegfried's brother Tristan.

I still remember watching All Creatures Great and Small on VHS with my parents, and this book gives off the same sense of nostalgia. If Only They Could Talk is li

Miranda
Nov 28, 2008 Miranda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Recommended to Miranda by: English Teacher
Shelves: animal
I had to read one of James Herriot's books for a book report. I ended up devouring every single one of his books in a matter of 2-3 days when I was 17. My English teacher was very impressed.
India
Jul 22, 2016 India rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad that I already wanted to be a small animal vet, because I am not at all down to birth a calf in the middle of the night in a dirty barn.
Tezar Yulianto
ceritanya unik. ada sedih, lucu, tapi sebagian besar mengesankan. ^^
David Douglas
May 16, 2015 David Douglas rated it really liked it
Brilliant, read this as a teenager years ago. Just as good second time round.
Denis
Oct 23, 2013 Denis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved animals all my life. Read it as a child. Got it from my mom. For every generation...
Lorna
Oct 16, 2016 Lorna rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, veterinary
Great read...can't wait to read more of his stories
Ali
Jan 01, 2017 Ali rated it it was amazing
I've not read this book in a very long time and was suddenly taken by the urge to visit this corner of England in the good company of James Herriot. These are wonderfully written stories that depict a way of life that no longer exists. The perfect read for a rainy afternoon.
Mizuki Arjuneko
Aug 10, 2016 Mizuki Arjuneko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mizuki by: Andrea Hirata (through his novels)
Jelas buku yang menyenangkan untuk dibaca berkali-kali. Detail yang luar biasa dan humor yang mengalir begitu alami mewarnai kisah demi kisah yang ditampilkan dalam buku ini.

James Herriot, seorang pemuda yang baru lulus dari jurusan kedokteran hewan harus menghadapi kenyataan pahit akan akibat era The Great Depression tahun 1930-an. Karena sulit mencari pekerjaan, ia harus mengelana sampai ke Desa Darrowby, Yorkshire dan akhirnya diterima sebagai asisten dokter hewan Skeldale House. Bossnya, Sig
Sam
James Herriot's books are some of my favourite comfort reads, and it occurred to me I hadn't read them in several years, so here I am, back in late 1930's Yorkshire.

If you're never encountered James Herriot, he was a vet who got his first job in the Yorkshire Dales and never left. He fell in love with the countryside, the people, the animals and his life there, and that love really shows in his books. Starting his career at a point where the tractor was quickly taking over from horses, and huge
Abi Ghifari
Dec 28, 2013 Abi Ghifari rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
Saya mengenal novel 'If Only They Could Talk' untuk pertama kalinya justru dari novel-novel karya Andrea Hirata yang terangkum dalam tetralogi Laskar Pelangi. Novel yang ditulis oleh James Herriot ini mengisahkan tentang pengalaman dan petualangan dirinya setelah lulus dari sekolah kedokteran hewan dan kemudian bekerja sebagai asisten praktek di desa kecil Darrowby.

Pengalaman demi pengalaman menarik dialami Herriot di tahun pertamanya menjadi asisten seorang dokter hewan dengan reputasi yang bai
Around the Year i...: If Only They Could Talk, by James Herriot 3 14 Jul 31, 2016 09:01AM
Seandainya mereka bisa bicara 1 31 Nov 05, 2008 07:50PM
  • The Corfu Trilogy (The Corfu Trilogy #1-3)
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • Head Over Heels in the Dales
  • The Spotted Sphinx
  • Diana's Story
  • Emma and I
  • James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
  • Let Sleeping Vets Lie
  • Vet in Harness
  • Vets Might Fly
  • Vet in a Spin
  • The Lord God Made Them All
  • Every Living Thing
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small)
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful

“My mind went back to that picture in the obstetrics book. A cow standing in the middle of a gleaming floor while a sleek veterinary surgeon in a spotless parturition overall inserted his arm to a polite distance. He was relaxed and smiling, the farmer and his helpers were smiling, even the cow was smiling. There was no dirt or blood or sweat anywhere.
That man in the picture had just finished an excellent lunch and had moved next door to do a bit of calving just for the sheer pleasure of it, as a kind of dessert. He hadn't crawled shivering from his bed at two o'clock in the morning and bumped over twelve miles of frozen snow, staring sleepily ahead till the lonely farm showed in the headlights. He hadn't climbed half a mile of white fell-side to the doorless barn where his patient lay.”
15 likes
“He devoted a considerable amount of his acute intelligence to the cause of doing as little as possible.” 4 likes