Start by marking “David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall/Live for Your Listening Pleasure (Audio CD)” as Want to Read:

4.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  572 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
If you are driving, pull over. If you are at work, close your door unless you don t mind your colleagues seeing you doubled over, in tears, on your office floor. With these two shows, recorded before delirious sold-out audiences, you are there as David Sedaris performs his hilarious stories. A parrot who mimics an ice maker, lovers quarreling over a rubber hand, and a Sant ...more
Audio CD
Published by Time Warner Audiobooks (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about David Sedaris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Sedaris

Mara
Dec 21, 2014 Mara rated it it was amazing
I know, I know—this isn't what most think of as being a “book” per se. However, after being laid out in bed with the flu, Captain Trips, or maybe even that Gluten Free Ebola they were talking about on South Park for the past week or so, I really needed a dose David Sedaris' sardonic brilliance in its most potent form.

I have all of Sedaris' books in audio and physical form. And, yes, most of the material you will hear on David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall has found its way into his work els
Jessica
Dec 29, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
It's David Sedaris, so of course it's enough to make you laugh in public. Check this out after seeing David Sedaris perform live. I'd heard several of these pieces before, but still thoroughly enjoyed it!

Andrea Mullarkey
Aug 12, 2014 Andrea Mullarkey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
It is no secret that I love David Sedaris. And as much as I love his short stories I have a very special fondness for his autobiographical essays. Having read most everything he's published there was very little new in this collection. But that hardly mattered and it was still completely entertaining company while I ran. One of the best things about this collection is that everything was performed live. And that means that even if I knew a piece from having read it in print or heard it as part o ...more
Kim Forsythe
Mar 23, 2011 Kim Forsythe rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened, humor, american
Funny! I had heard or read all of these stories before but must have forgotten some parts because I found myself cracking up at work.
Victoria
Apr 06, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks

The Stadium Pal story is a gem!
Louise
Jul 24, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He named a rabbit "Screened-in Porch" hahahahaha.
Lane Willson
Mar 15, 2013 Lane Willson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
OK, technically I listened to this "book". But when the last best hope for scary monolithic world domination of information - Amazon, says it is a book...I just say yes ma'am! After finishing David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall, I'm getting in line to read his other concerts or listen to his other books...whatever...because he is hilarious! Apparently, I'm unbelievably late to the David Sedaris bandwagon, as friends of both my children and my parents have politely asked what took me so long? Su ...more
Robin
Jul 27, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, 2014books
Despite this being a recording of a live show, since the author David Sedaris reads from his books, I wanted to include it here. David Sedaris is so funny. Both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed his essay "6 to 8 Black Men" which is absolutely hilarious. This is a great audiobook for summertime listening when all you want to do is laugh.
Carol
Feb 10, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
I was in the mood to have a fun and enjoyable laugh. Had not heard of Sedaris' concert Live Carnegie Hall. We have a slight difference in humor taste, but this time he hit me on the spot and I was delighted and laughed out loud many times. Sedaris was referred to me by some of my book club buddies, and it proved so enjoyable. Thanks ladies...
Earl
Nov 17, 2014 Earl rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books, 2014
This is a double collection of audio books that will guarantee to make you laugh out loud. David Sedaris is a just a brilliant hilarious man.

And, apparently, I had listened to Live at Carnegie Hall before. It didn't diminish the enjoyment I had this time around, considering it was five years ago. No wonder I didn't remember right away!
Marianne
Aug 22, 2011 Marianne rated it it was amazing
David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall is a recording of excerpts from Sedaris 2002 tour, recorded at Carnegie Hall. Repeat After Me is a piece that explores the use of family anecdotes, in this case, of his somewhat paranoid sister Lisa, for material in his books and essays. Hilarious throughout, the last line none-the-less brings a lump to the throat. Who’s the Chef explores dinner party conversations and one-up-manship. Lesson Three explores going clothing shopping with Amy; Lesson Four, male ac ...more
Susan Kelley
May 10, 2014 Susan Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, audio
Laugh out loud funny, especially hearing the essays read in the author's voice. items like being privy to stories he is telling at a dinner party. My only two complaints, it was far too short, and the edits weren't very smooth.
Anna
Oct 21, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
I just can't say enough about how much I love Sedaris, his writing, his delivery, and basically anything he does. I don't even care that some of the essays were repeats, I even find joy in the small nuances that differ between a recorded audiobook versus a live performance.
Melanie
Jun 16, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
"Live at Carnegie Hall" is his absolute best. I listened to it in the car and had to pull over, I was laughing so hard. "Six to Eight Black Men" was the best.
ElizaLu
Mar 19, 2014 ElizaLu rated it really liked it
This probably doesn't count as a book towards my reading goals, but I did very much enjoy listening to Mr. Sedaris on a long car ride...
Teri Citterman
Mar 08, 2014 Teri Citterman rated it really liked it
Sedaris is like a movie. Given I listen to audio books, you can listen more then once and hear the story as if it's the first time.
Dany Le Goaix
May 10, 2015 Dany Le Goaix rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly executed and narrated by Sedaris. The parrot story is worth the price of admission alone.
Katherine
Jun 17, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
David Sedaris comes across best in audiobook form and this one is hilarious from beginning to end.
Angie
Jun 16, 2014 Angie added it
If you've never heard him read, treat yourself. If you have, you should still treat yourself.
Jessica Brooks
Mar 12, 2014 Jessica Brooks rated it it was amazing
my favorite compilation of his work!
Oct 27, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
6 to 8 black men was a riot!
Sandra
Jun 14, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, audiobook, 2014
The best of the best!!!
Michelle
Feb 12, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
My first David Sedaris anything. Looking forward to lots more!
Patti
Love David Sedaris - laughed out loud
Lori
Apr 02, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, autobiography
I am not big on audio books but, after reading many GR reviews applauding Sedaris's style of narrating his own work, I had to give it a try. Glad I did - it was a real treat!

I wished the Q & A at the conclusion of the reading was longer. I wanted to hear more about Rooster and what he's been up to. I hope Sedaris writes more about this colorful sibling.
Michael
Dec 02, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
Pissed myself. Yes, the stories are good but I think it's more the delivery, in a concert hall setting, which realises the true humour in the material. In other books, he often reads in a self indulgent voice, which stinks of snobbish sanctimony and twee pretence; the humour is lost. I prefer the down to earth vibe he puts out in front of an audience.
Diana
Jan 09, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
We listened to his live "performance" on a long drive ~ lol
Jennie
Mar 02, 2011 Jennie rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs, comedy
A nice little one-shot of David Sedaris humor... made me want to listen to more of his stuff on audiobook, since his delivery is so great. A fun way to spend a couple days' commute to work, but I'm not sure there's anything from this that I'll remember a week from now.
  • Marcel Proust: A Life
  • Diary of an Emotional Idiot: A Novel
  • All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache
  • Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn't Go Away
  • A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC
  • The Real Bettie Page: The Truth About the Queen of Pinups
  • Understanding Grammar for Powerful Communication (The Modern Scholar: Way with Words, Vol. 3)
  • Roget's College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form, The New American: Revised and Enlarged Edition
  • The Fertility Diet
  • The PCOS Diet Plan: A Natural Approach to Health for Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • The Body Broken: A Memoir
  • Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill
  • The Best of McSweeney's Internet Tendency
  • Going Down
  • Cabin Pressure 4 (Cabin Pressure, #4)
  • The Healthy Pregnancy Book: Month by Month, Everything You Need to Know from America's Baby Experts
  • Hyper-Chondriac: One Man's Quest to Hurry Up and Calm Down
  • Down with Big Brother: The Fall of the Soviet Empire
David Sedaris is a Grammy Award-nominated American humorist and radio contributor.

Sedaris came to prominence in 1992 when National Public Radio broadcast his essay "SantaLand Diaries." He published his first collection of essays and short stories, Barrel Fever, in 1994. Each of his four subsequent essay collections, Naked (1997), Holidays on Ice (1997), Me Talk Pretty One Day (2000), Dress Your Fa
More about David Sedaris...