David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall/Live for Your Listening Pleasure (Audio CD)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  690 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Audio CD
Published by Time Warner Audiobooks (first published October 1st 2003)

Stephanie
Hilarious.
My favorite was "Six to Eight Black Men," an essay on Holland's Christmas customs.
So funny.
Sedaris is great to listen to.
Kim Forsythe
Funny! I had heard or read all of these stories before but must have forgotten some parts because I found myself cracking up at work.
Shallowreader VaVeros
I laughed so hard that I nearly had an accident and had to pull over in the car.
Victoria

The Stadium Pal story is a gem!
Louise
He named a rabbit "Screened-in Porch" hahahahaha.
Lane Willson
OK, technically I listened to this "book". But when the last best hope for scary monolithic world domination of information - Amazon, says it is a book...I just say yes ma'am! After finishing David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall, I'm getting in line to read his other concerts or listen to his other books...whatever...because he is hilarious! Apparently, I'm unbelievably late to the David Sedaris bandwagon, as friends of both my children and my parents have politely asked what took me so long? Su...more
Carol
I was in the mood to have a fun and enjoyable laugh. Had not heard of Sedaris' concert Live Carnegie Hall. We have a slight difference in humor taste, but this time he hit me on the spot and I was delighted and laughed out loud many times. Sedaris was referred to me by some of my book club buddies, and it proved so enjoyable. Thanks ladies...
Jim Flanagan
This audiobook contains a lot of stories that are featured in other Sedaris books, but it does have a few selections that are unique to this recording. Plus, it has "6 to 8 Black Men," which is one of his funniest stories, so it is definitely worth listening to this recording, even if you have already heard everything else he has recorded.
Marianne
David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall is a recording of excerpts from Sedaris 2002 tour, recorded at Carnegie Hall. Repeat After Me is a piece that explores the use of family anecdotes, in this case, of his somewhat paranoid sister Lisa, for material in his books and essays. Hilarious throughout, the last line none-the-less brings a lump to the throat. Who’s the Chef explores dinner party conversations and one-up-manship. Lesson Three explores going clothing shopping with Amy; Lesson Four, male ac...more
ElizaLu
This probably doesn't count as a book towards my reading goals, but I did very much enjoy listening to Mr. Sedaris on a long car ride...
Teri Citterman
Sedaris is like a movie. Given I listen to audio books, you can listen more then once and hear the story as if it's the first time.
Jessica Brooks
my favorite compilation of his work!
Karina
Laugh out loud
Janet Briggs
Love David Sedaris - laughed out loud
First Sedaris book in awhile I've enjoyed. I was starting to fear that I'd changed, or he had changed. Luckily, these stories have shown me that Sedaris and I continue to have a good reader and author relationship.

The stories were not overly vulgar, nor did he skirt around issues. They were funny, each one making me smile. Nothing more than that. Except some great political comentary.
Lori
I am not big on audio books but, after reading many GR reviews applauding Sedaris's style of narrating his own work, I had to give it a try. Glad I did - it was a real treat!

I wished the Q & A at the conclusion of the reading was longer. I wanted to hear more about Rooster and what he's been up to. I hope Sedaris writes more about this colorful sibling.
Michael
Pissed myself. Yes, the stories are good but I think it's more the delivery, in a concert hall setting, which realises the true humour in the material. In other books, he often reads in a self indulgent voice, which stinks of snobbish sanctimony and twee pretence; the humour is lost. I prefer the down to earth vibe he puts out in front of an audience.
taeli
finished 10/2/13

Several of Sedaris's stories read live by David to an audience at Carnegie Hall. I had heard a few of these stories (likely from this performance) on other of his audiobooks, but it was just the right kind of pick-me-up I needed after finishing the emotionally heavy book I had just finished. Good for several laughs!
Diana
We listened to his live "performance" on a long drive ~ lol
Jennie
A nice little one-shot of David Sedaris humor... made me want to listen to more of his stuff on audiobook, since his delivery is so great. A fun way to spend a couple days' commute to work, but I'm not sure there's anything from this that I'll remember a week from now.
Christine
Like most David Sedaris books, do not read them on planes or in doctors offices because you will be laughing so hard that people will question your sanity. On the other hand, this works very well for getting more space to yourself on the T.
Anna
Sedaris makes me feel good about being a human being, and he inspires me to be more humane, more loving, more open, more creative. more. more. morre. This was funny and poignant and aching and hopeful and heart breaking and life giving.
Juli
This audiobook has some of David Sedaris' best material and is highlighted by his dry reading of it. This also contains his funniest story, a discussion of people who pronounce words in their original languages even when uncalled for.
Rebecca Buerkett
Listening to this live recording, especially the question and answer section at the end, allowed me to live vicariously through anyone who has seen him live (bucket list item for me). Wonderful, includes 6 to 8 Black Men.
Micki
Listened to this one through audible during a root canal, which made it hard to laugh out loud, but I really enjoy David Sedaris and there are some great moments in this book.
Melissa
This will make you pee your pants laughing! David Sedaris is one of the most enjoyable humorists I can think of! Hearing him read aloud at Carnegie Hall is a total treat.
Max Wilson
Some of his best work. His delivery is amazing. I've seen Sedaris live twice, and he was good both times, but this is even better. A very short listen though.
M
I think David Sedaris' readings of his books are so funny! He had me laughing out loud! I heard some of these before, but definitely worth listening to!
Candy
Listened to this on audio--the way this man sees life is truly mind-boggling. Like a great stand-up comedy routine!
Melody
Funny -- can always count on David for a laugh. Enjoyed listening to this -- very fast and quick listen (audio).
  • Diary of an Emotional Idiot: A Novel
  • Cabin Pressure: One Man's Desperate Attempt to Recapture His Youth as a Camp Counselor
  • Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People
  • Dan Gets a Minivan: Life at the Intersection of Dude and Dad
  • Gorgon: The Monsters That Ruled the Planet Before Dinosaurs and HowThey Died in the Greatest Catastrophe in Earth's History
  • Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • Hyper-Chondriac: One Man's Quest to Hurry Up and Calm Down
  • Evolution: The Remarkable History of a Scientific Theory (Chronicles)
  • Gluten-Free on a Shoestring: 125 Easy Recipes for Eating Well on the Cheap
  • I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas
  • Continental Drifter
  • Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way
  • The Seashell on the Mountaintop: A Story Science, Sainthood, and the Humble Genius who Discovered a New History of the Earth
  • Hobo
  • Little Stalker
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
David Sedaris is a Grammy Award-nominated American humorist and radio contributor.

Sedaris came to prominence in 1992 when National Public Radio broadcast his essay "SantaLand Diaries." He published his first collection of essays and short stories, Barrel Fever, in 1994. Each of his four subsequent essay collections, Naked (1997), Holidays on Ice (1997), Me Talk Pretty One Day (2000), Dress Your Fa...more
More about David Sedaris...
Me Talk Pretty One Day Naked Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim When You Are Engulfed in Flames Holidays on Ice