Start by marking “The Woman Who Was Afraid of Lightning” as Want to Read:
The Woman Who Was Afraid of Lightning

The Woman Who Was Afraid of Lightning

2.69 of 5 stars 2.69  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Weird, frightening, ominous ... and then a thunderstorm rolls in.

North Texas thunderstorms -- violent and scary. But when trapped in a bookstore with a woman who jumps at every crack of lightning, things can become quite frightening. And very weird, too. A tale of fear ... and the unknown.
Published February 2nd 2011 by Dark Elms Press (first published November 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Was Afraid of Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Was Afraid of Lightning

Aug 10, 2014 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Megan
Shelves: e-books, horror
I'm really glad that I didn't read this story last night while it was pouring buckets, lightning illuminated the sky, windows rattled and power flickered. As scary as it was, New England just doesn't have a shot against Texas when it comes to violent thunderstorms.

Disregarding the ominous skies, a man and his toddler venture out and head to a used bookstore, where they encounter an odd woman who is terrified of lightning.

The vivid description of a fast-moving and violent electrical storm was so
This is only my second short by Jeff Ambrose, but I am noticing a pattern ~ the writing is good, the story engaging, but when it comes to the ending, I feel a little let down. Somehow, when it gets to the big reveal/twist/climax I expect more and am slightly disappointed by what is there. Nonetheless, I have quite enjoyed his shorts and look forward to reading his longer novels once I get myself an e-reader. So three stars it is. Read this one for free online here.
Ana Campanha
Apart from the very end this could actually happen in real life and that made all the difference. I could imagine myself in the same situation and I also had controversial feelings towards the lady who was afraid of lightning. A very nice short story!
What an I intriguing tale! The author has a way of drawing you in. I was disappointed with the abrupt ending but the story was good. It was an odd tale, reminiscent of Stephen King! I liked the teasers to the other stories. I'm interested in reading more!
For the unfortunate woman in "The Woman Who Was Afraid of Lightning," electrical storms were something to avoid at all costs because she was sure the storm was out to get her. If you are afraid of lightning like young Robbie Freeling in "Poltergeist," this story is not for you.

Full of suspense, making the hairs on the back of my neck rise up, I felt every lightning strike, could picture the violence of the thunder and wind, the drenching rain, simply all of it. There was a storm of similar inten
This short story had great foundation, good atmosphere. It became a little weird for me when the bookstore employee shuffled everyone outside. The one retail store I have experience with would lock people IN, not OUT in a power outage. That aside, I would have liked more description of what happened at the end...I don't think 2 "legs" can "surround" anything. Won't someone please hire me to edit? :-) Otherwise, a pretty decent story.
A short story that was free for Kindle.
An afternoon trip to a bookstore, with a major storm moving in, becomes a surreal experience for one man.
A woman in the store is hysterical when the clerk orders everyone out after the power fails. She is terrified of the storm... with good reason as it turns out.
Interesting. I enjoyed it but would have liked a little more.
Overall, I felt the story was well-written. I could really imagine myself there with the people in the book, but thought the ending was really strange! I guess books don't have to mimic real life though and things can end on a different note than they would in real life.
The writing is good, but all of the short stories have no explanation - and most of them don't even have an 'end'. It (coupled with the unexpected fact that it was simply a short story collection) left me very disappointed with the book.
David Fournier
A small collection of boring and incomplete short stories.
Lori Henrich
Strange story.
Mary C.
Mary C. marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Krazeeg marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Elyssa marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Bertram Mullin
Bertram Mullin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Jeff Ambrose was born in St. Louis, but grew up in the suburbs of Dallas, Texas. A high-school headbanger and lead guitarist for several garage bands, he spent his free time playing Dungeons & Dragons, watching movies, and reading fantasy and horror novels.

He went to college, graduated, and got married. Children came, and after glancing at various career opportunities, he followed in his mothe
More about Jeff Ambrose...
The Senex The Kingless Warrior (The Tabard Cain Saga Book 1) Erasing God: A Short Story Dr. Balthasar's House and Other Stories Mission to Edia-Prime