Start by marking “Fireweed (New Windmills)” as Want to Read:
Fireweed

Jill Paton Walsh

Fireweed (New Windmills)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Two teen-age runaways who refuse to be evacuated from London struggle to survive the blitz of 1940.
Published (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Fireweed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fireweed

Cassandra
This is perhaps 3.75 stars, not quite four. I love her writing; such beautiful prose, so concrete and direct and carefully measured, and yet it is clearly in her control, for the dialogue sometimes leaps over the lines when the characters are overcome. Her descriptions of London during the war are very good, she captures the confusion of it all, and the strength of people without, I think, undue sentimentalising.

So why not five stars? Hmn, that is a good question. I think I should have thought i
Maureen Milton
After a slowish start, this story of two young people who have, for different reasons, fled the arrangements their families have made for them during the blitz in WWII London. The idyll of two unsupervised teens ("Yet all around us death and ruin rained out if the sky. We saw it everywhere, and we were afraid like everybody else, and yet it cast no shadow in our hearts.") is short-lived. They each make decisions that change the course of their lives and, especially that of a young child orphaned ...more
Rachel Brand
This was one of my favourite books when I was about nine, and I still love it. I think this is possibly down to all the descriptions, and the idea of people moving somewhere new - in this case, Bill and Julie move into a basement and turn it into a home. I was also really interested in the World Wars as a child (an interest which I probably got from my dad).

This book is rather unusual for a children's book, as it has a fairly sad ending. I can't think of any other books which I've read which ha
Sam Pope
A powerful book about London during the Blitz and two teenagers - Bill and Julie - trying to survive amongst daily bombings and threats of evacuation either to the English countryside or overseas. This is a story about friendship, loyalty, bravery and also about fear, not just about Hitler's air force dropping bombs but also worry that their existence will be discovered and they will be forcibly separated. The story was marvelous, but I dropped a star because at times the beautifully poetic and ...more
Benjamin Duffy
I was ten when I read this book for the first time. It was recommended for me by my elementary school librarian, who knew I was into military history at the time, and who in hindsight was very clever to use this book's setting during the London Blitz to get me to read a story I otherwise never would have. Smart lady.

For me, this book was the beginning of knowing and appreciating the painful beauty of a sad (not how you might imagine, so I can say that without spoiling anything) ending. It was al
Bonnie
My friend Barbara introduced me to Jill Paton Walsh at a CLNE Institute (Children’s Literature New England). I’ve read many of Jill’s books and admire her greatly. Finding Fireweed in the Negril Branch Library was an unexpected surprise. This YA book was published in 1969.

It’s set in London during the blitz. Two homeless teenagers, Bill and Julie, become friends as they cope with changes in a once familiar landscape. Jill writes beautifully:

We walked for hours the next morning. We didn’t want to
Julie
An early children's book by Jill Paton Walsh, now reissued in an attractive new edition by Hot Key Books. Fireweed is the story of two children living under the radar on the streets of London during the blitz of 1940. The description of life in the bombed out streets and collapsing buildings is vividly done, and there is considerable excitement in the children's constant attempts to avoid the authorities. It can't last, of course, and in the end circumstances conspire against them. Some may find ...more
Bill runs away after being evacuated to Wales during the Blitz. He makes his way back to London and is doing just fine on his own, if a bit grubby/hungry/lonely, until he spots Julie one morning in the mob of people waking up in the Aldwych Underground Station. He can tell immediately that she is another runaway. After an uncertain start, they decide to stick together in order to better their chances of surviving without a home, and without parents, during wartime.

The way Walsh tells a story is
Mitchell
Definitely recommend it to everyone, everyone who is interested or is unaware of the events of world war 2 should read.
Lisa
This book tells the story of two London runaways during World War II who work together to try to survive without adults. The story fell very flat for me and I was bored most of the time I was reading it. It's disappointing because I think there was definitely potential there, it just didn't come through for me.
Syed R
This is probably the only romance novel I read and surely the only one I remember to haver read. I read in a public library one day from start to finish. This may be just adolescents' romance but it changed my life in some deep yet subtle way ( may be because I too was a teen then )
Deena
This was an interestingly written story, almost Streatfeild-esque (although nothing at all to do with theatre). I'm glad to have read it as an adult, as I would not have liked the ending when I was a child.
Lia
A different story of teens in London during the bombing, and how they took care of each other.
Amy
A realistic story about two young people, adrift in London during the blitz.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
A sweet little story set in the Blitz. I really enjoyed it.
Victoria
An amazing book for early teens about the Blitz.
Anajoy-rusticgirl
Wasn't happy with the ending.
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Anna Stewart
Anna Stewart marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Tamara Nyvang
Tamara Nyvang marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Freja
Freja marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Kate M
Kate M marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Zee Vandenberg
Zee Vandenberg marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Jess May
Jess May marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • Rebels and Traitors
  • Africa Is My Home: A Child of the Amistad
  • Maikäfer, flieg!
  • The Quietness
  • Sophie Is Seven (Sophie, #5)
  • Throwing Shadows
  • Chocolate Cake With Hitler
  • The Diddakoi
  • The Italians At Cleat's Corner Store
  • The Children Who Lived in a Barn
  • A Time of Miracles
Jill Paton Walsh was born Gillian Bliss in London on April 29th, 1937. She was educated at St. Michael's Convent, North Finchley, and at St. Anne's College, Oxford. From 1959 to 1962 she taught English at Enfield Girls' Grammar School.

Jill Paton Walsh has won the Book World Festival Award, 1970, for Fireweed; the Whitbread Prize, 1974 (for a Children's novel) for The Emperor's Winding Sheet; The
More about Jill Paton Walsh...
A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane #2) The Attenbury Emeralds (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane #3) Knowledge of Angels The Green Book The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane #4)